• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Teabaggers

Astellius

Smash Ace
Hi all.

So, about my least favorite thing to see in Smash is teabagging. I personally think that teabagging has NO real place in this game, except as to be an *** and insult your opponent. But why do you want to be an ***?

Personally, if someone does it in 1v1, that's pretty much the end of it. I'll play through the match, but we're done playing together (ever). (I usually block AND report the player if they teabag.)

In 2v2, if it's the person on my team, well, sometimes I then just self-destruct to sabotage what would have been an asinine win. Like, you can taunt, but if you need to teabag too, sorry, I have no sympathy, you're just being insulting and rude, and don't deserve to win. Take that crap elsewhere, and just taunt like a real person.

Sorry, but, if you teabag, you're no friend of mine. You can just take that **** elsewhere, thanks.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I just do it out of habit. I did not even realize that you could be reported for it. Does that fall under offensiveness or something?

Astellius

Smash Ace
Well, you can't get reported for anything specific. Basically, nobody actually knows what reporting does, but, after a match, you can click on that character's profile and report them for bad conduct. Probably, people with multiple reports get a temp ban. So yeah, if you're a teabagger, you probably don't have much to worry about from being reported.

All the same, you teabag out of habit? I mean, teabagging is SUPPOSED to be offensive, and I don't really know a game where that's not true. It really doesn't matter if you do it out of habit or you intend for it to be mean, because, in a game so limited in options for conversation, you teabagging comes across as an intention to be offensive. It's primarily for that, and nobody can actually know that, oh, you're doing it out of habit, because there's no way to convey that, so I just take it with its normal use.

It just comes across as arrogant and immature no matter what, really. That just speaks to teabagging, not crouching for other reasons, which is pretty frequent (usually lag). I just don't like it when people act like jerks, and teabagging is one of the main ways you can assert that you don't respect your opponent on here.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I love crouching, it's funny. No offense meant by doing it, it's just something funny to do between stocks!!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't like doing teabagging myself because it makes me feel like an idiot, though I really don't care about others doing it themselves. I play this **** to have fun no matter what.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I honestly wonder when exactly did "Tea-bagging" become a thing in Smash to begin with. I never encountered it during the first few months of Sm4sh's release nor in Brawl, but next thing I know BAM! Sudden tea-bagging from just about anyone and everyone.

I also find it funny how there's actually some people who argue that it's out of "Respect" because they're "Bowing" to you. Problem with that logic is the other side may not look at it that way. You never know your opponents intentions unless they're deliberately trying to be out-right rude and annoy you to no ends. That, and everyone also has their own opinions on whats disrespectful during a match (taunting is a big example of this). Point is, everyone isn't gonna take it the same way you might take it.

Personally I try to avoid both taunting and tea-bagging. If someone taunts at the start of the match then sure, I will too. If someone starts taunting after KOing me or when I SD then sure, I will too. Start tea-bagging and well... Expect tea-bagging from me. I won't do any of it if my opponent doesn't, but don't complain if you do it first and just can't handle it when I start doing it in return.

Last edited:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I always laugh when an opponent teabags, it's definitely funnier than taunts. I'll get a little salty though if I know i'm not playing my best though.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I think it's partly because of the cap on taunting during matches, you can only taunt twice, and +1 for every kill you get. However obviously with crouching there's no limit to that. And same with spinning. (Lightly turning the control stick back and forth to spin around, that's also funny) And crouching is funnier with some characters than others(Dedede, WFT, and Ness take the cake for that) It may or may not be disrespect, and even if it is, it's not something worth reporting. Sometimes people do it just to be funny, like I've said. Let them have their fun.

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I just thought of something
If the game gives you an additional taunt for each K.O....
Does Sakurai want us to taunt and potentially be ***** to each other?!
:troll:

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I just thought of something
If the game gives you an additional taunt for each K.O....
Does Sakurai want us to taunt and potentially be ***** to each other?!
:troll:
I would think so, to be completely honest. I mean taunts are partly meant to be used that way.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Well, to the people who say they don't mean offense by it, I just have to say, how do you think it's normally perceived? I mean, really, to the person on the other side, they have no way of knowing what you personally and individually intend, so, instead, the meaning comes across as an intention to be offensive.

"I think it's fun, that's all!" "I make cute noises, that's all!" "I just do it to fill time, that's all!"

Sorry, sure, that may be why you are doing it, but you clearly don't care about your opponent or what they might think when you do this. You can't take something that is pretty universally considered a sign of disrespect (e.g., teabagging) and expect your opponent not to take it as that.

For those that say, well, you're limited in number of taunts, and you get one for each kill. Well, yeah, okay, that goes to taunts. If you teabag, did you use up your taunts? And how so? You start each match with 2 free taunts, and get one per kill. Even with that idea that you run out of taunts, how does that then make subsequent teabagging okay? Like, the game has a built in limit for taunting, and so you want to do something to work around that so you can basically be more of a ... than the game allows.

And, again, this doesn't say anything about crouching repeatedly as another form of communication, when it's clear. For example, if the match is really laggy, repeated crouching usually indicates, "Hey, this lag sucks hard, let's not fight in this while the lag is here." Crouching can also have other meanings, depending on the context, but it needs to be clear.

Basically, think about it from what the other person is likely to see or think. You can intend or think whatever you want, but that doesn't come across if you do what is and has been long recognized as a sign of disrespect.

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I think it just comes down to boredom. If you aren't playing a character with a chargeable projectile, what else are you supposed to do between stocks? Some players just don't have that kind of patience lol

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I think it just comes down to boredom. What else are you supposed to do between stocks if you A: already have a fully charged projectile at the ready or B: are not playing a character with a chargeable projectile? Some players simply lack the patience to sit around lol

Astellius

Smash Ace
I think it just comes down to boredom. What else are you supposed to do between stocks if you A: already have a fully charged projectile at the ready or B: are not playing a character with a chargeable projectile? Some players simply lack the patience to sit around lol
You can literally do pretty much whatever you want. You can run around the stage, attack, practice, whatever. Again, this goes to what is going to be perceived by your opponent, and maybe not what you intend. If you're bored in between stocks, you can just run around the field, or attack the air, or spot dodge, or practice something. Instead, you're opting to do what is generally considered a thing to do to offend/disrespect your opponent. Basically, this is just a different variation of what has been mentioned before: "When I crouch repeatedly, I, as in ME, MEAN..." whatever.

I am really not sure how you expect this to convey something else to your opponent. If you think your only option to solve boredom in between stocks is to crouch repeatedly... well, I just don't understand. I mean, why is this your choice of things to do if boredom strikes in between stocks?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Teabagging is lame here because there is no body to teabag on. Teabagging would be great in Stamina though.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Sorry, sure, that may be why you are doing it, but you clearly don't care about your opponent or what they might think when you do this. You can't take something that is pretty universally considered a sign of disrespect (e.g., teabagging) and expect your opponent not to take it as that.
I'm sorry, I don't "teabag", but why do I have to care that my opponent thinks I'm teabagging in a game with no bodies to teabag? If there's one thing that gets to me about Smash online it's that people try to hammer negative, disrespectful connotation into bloody everything.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I do it when anyone has the gall to try and beat me with Samus. you best know what your doing or Im going to disrespect the crap out of you for trying to beat me with MY main.

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I do it when anyone has the gall to try and beat me with Samus. you best know what your doing or Im going to disrespect the crap out of you for trying to beat me with MY main.
But what if the opponent also mains :4samus:? :samus:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
But what if the opponent also mains :4samus:? :samus:
then i just up taunt, its really obvious when someone mains Samus and someone is just picking her just to mess with you. PAINFULLY obvious

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Teabaggers are the people who make me dread going on FG most of the time, which is why I really don't anymore. I'm sorry, but if you play an online fighting game just to put a damper on someone else's day, then you're not someone who I'm willing to play more than one match with. It's completely unacceptable, honestly, and I absolutely hate anyone who does it.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I feel like it's also in a way meant to provoke you. Like, they do it just to make you wanna kill them more. And that's how it should be seen, and same goes with taunts. It's not meant to "make you feel bad" like you think it is. It's just to be funny and to annoy you. If you hate it that much, then just kill them harder. Or do it back.

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I had to look up what teabagging meant since I had no idea but it is seriously someone who ducks a lot when its not necessary to?

Why on earth would that be unacceptable? Reporting people for this behaviour is just unbelievable to me.

It seems to me its just a way to justify poor attitude toward losing.

If you dont like the way someone plays stop playing them or block them - Nintendo provide you the tools you need to not have to play them.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
I am speechless. Every single hit u get is mean and disrespectful. As people said before, its actually not teabagging, you improvise taunts u dont get otherwise, because u have a limit. And during my average fight, i would need 10 taunts. so i am going up and down, and i have fun. Deal with it, block the player or dont play fg.

Teabagging is lame here because there is no body to teabag on. Teabagging would be great in Stamina though.
Good one, i hope this will become a Mode in fg one time, but i beleave till then i sold the game already.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
Well, you can't get reported for anything specific. Basically, nobody actually knows what reporting does, but, after a match, you can click on that character's profile and report them for bad conduct. Probably, people with multiple reports get a temp ban. So yeah, if you're a teabagger, you probably don't have much to worry about from being reported.
I see, u have no idea and i think u are on of those salty guys, who reports other people because they are crouching after they 2 stock you. And we do know what reporting does. It destroys the game for many of us, for no other reason, then beeing good. Because others cant stand that and are abusing repeatedly the report button. Also its automatic and depends only on normal players and no investigators.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I do it at times just cuz the noise kirby makes is funny although I prefer making him dance.

I also do it test input lag when a match gets laggy. I'd do it with shield but it gets smaller so crouching is the better option to get used to how much delay there is.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I honestly wonder when exactly did "Tea-bagging" become a thing in Smash to begin with. I never encountered it during the first few months of Sm4sh's release nor in Brawl, but next thing I know BAM! Sudden tea-bagging from just about anyone and everyone.

I also find it funny how there's actually some people who argue that it's out of "Respect" because they're "Bowing" to you. Problem with that logic is the other side may not look at it that way. You never know your opponents intentions unless they're deliberately trying to be out-right rude and annoy you to no ends. That, and everyone also has their own opinions on whats disrespectful during a match (taunting is a big example of this). Point is, everyone isn't gonna take it the same way you might take it.

Personally I try to avoid both taunting and tea-bagging. If someone taunts at the start of the match then sure, I will too. If someone starts taunting after KOing me or when I SD then sure, I will too. Start tea-bagging and well... Expect tea-bagging from me. I won't do any of it if my opponent doesn't, but don't complain if you do it first and just can't handle it when I start doing it in return.
If I get bodied hard, when I come back I stay in my crouch for a few seconds as if to say "nice"

Top Bottom