• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super, uh-Super Smash Bros Modding thread-uh thing!

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Extravagant title.
I will be posting on my progressions on modding 64.
What does this mean?
Changing models, textures without plugins, music, and possibly CPU difficulty.
This is the MAIN post.
I will be posting edits and stuff here the more I progress.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've managed to decompress all of the files, (over 2040 files). Mostly are just .bin files but some are .tbl and .sbk.
So far, I can't view it or see whats inside. I can't use it like a traditional .bin file. But, I CAN hex edit it. But sadly, its just garbled text. I can't wait for the next update!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----

Last edited:

Madao

For starters, I think it's best to find things in RAM first. It's much easier that way. Once you're able to do what you want, in RAM, then you should go ahead and edit the actual rom.

So far, I've already been able to modify certain character stats, cpu difficulty setting, handicap setting, etc. I think I could do a music swap too. Have you seen my gameshark thread? If not I'll link that, and a few other useful threads & sites.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
3 threads babe?
ay caramba

For starters, I think it's best to find things in RAM first. It's much easier that way. Once you're able to do what you want, in RAM, then you should go ahead and edit the actual rom.

So far, I've already been able to modify certain character stats, cpu difficulty setting, handicap setting, etc. I think I could do a music swap too. Have you seen my gameshark thread? If not I'll link that, and a few other useful threads & sites.
First off, what's your skype, I need tips and stuff.
Second, how do I find things in RAM, I'm using Midwaydec for the decompressor by the way.
Lastly, link them please.

Madao

Ok, here's moveset data chart , gameshark thread , compilation thread , and smash index (which has some useful stuff).

I'll try to finish up some stuff I'm preoccupied with, then I will add you on skype. Right now I don't get on skype too often, but I'll try to get on more. As for finding things in RAM, the first thing you should to is look at what other people have already done. It's saved me a lot of time and helped me find things I probably would have never found. So after gathering a good list, you simply build upon it. Perhaps within the next few days, or at worst, next week, I will neaten up my documentation and provide it to you.

There are 2 important tools for debuging. Nemu64 and cheat engine. These 2 tools have been super amazing for me. You'll also want to learn MIPS assembly if you want to do any real changes. For now, you can start with looking at some of the codes created by me and others. Once you know where data is in RAM, you can hex search the ROM to find it there (assuming it's not compressed).

Oh and a fair warning for patching roms. You'll need to fix the crc after modding the ROM, and lemasm doesn't support smash64's crc, so you'll have to use a different one. Also some plugins (like Jabo 1.6) fail, and have extra problems when it doesn't recognize the crc. That's why the J version has those horizontal lines (because the crc is different). So you should probably use a different video plugin than Jabo 1.6 for Smash64.

Top Bottom