• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Bread & Butter Thread (Beware: May contain styling

FeintStep

Smash Rookie
Okay guys, so I'd like to start a thread consisting entirely of whats deemed thus far as Sonic's bread and butter, stuff like fox's uthrow uair, fox's jab usmash, or marths chaingrabs on fox

Anyone post here if you've got a combo off a hit confirm that you feel meets the following criteria:
-Is efficient
-Can be executed consistently
-and versatile (meaning can be used on most characters, stages, and preferably DI)
-Any frame traps
-Any DI traps
-any 50/50 success rate mixups (anything that fits into "the opponent having to pick there poison" A guaranteed followup based on which way the opponent DI's or techs or anything like that
-Any Sonic specific option selects

Currently i dont know many, and there arent too many usually per character because of the nature of smash as a fighting game but its important that we all share knowledge of what seems to work and what doesent and here is the place we can start archiving it all

Ill start with the very few im aware of or atleast think are good, please if something isnt good and you can provide a valid argument do so. The last thing we want is false information in here, so if its wrong say it.

and one last thing before we get into the list:
Please don't be afraid to post your ideas, anything that is suggested will be looked into and if it turns out to not be that great then no one is gonna call you names, if it is great you're a hero.

ill categorize it off of what it hit confirms from or which type of BnB it is if it doesent hit confirm off something such as a 50/50 thats caused by stage positioning

Jab
-Jab 1>Jab 2>Crouch Cancel>Dtilt (Combos into alot of other things, used mostly at lower percents on fast fallers and semi fast fallers)

-Jab to fsmash and dsmash overshadowed by dtilt following up to fsmash more guaranteed and at much better percents to kill
Dash Attack (Dash attack has a hitbox that comes out on frame 2 so id like to see more stuff done with it)
-Frame 2 Boost Grab (Since sonics dash attack hitbox comes out on frame 2 you can cancel it by hitting any button that shields on frame 2 into a grab and still get the hitbox out, this is especially useful if youre close to the opponent when they have there shield up as it covers the option of spot dodging and rolls witht he hitbox in some cases but also if the hitbox connects on shield the grab after is pretty much free)
Dtilt
-Dtilt>Grab
-Dtilt>SH Nair
-Dtilt>Pivot up angled charged fsmash (this is guaranteed on alot of characters, 100% on spacies at around 90-110 with all DI, have not tested DI for any other charactersI
Side-B
-Side-b>JC Grab (Weight and fall speed dependent after certain percents)
Uthrow
-Uthrow chaingrabs on spacies between itself and utilt for a good chunk of percent around 0-50

-Uthrow DI traps: no/bad DI>uair juggles, full right DI>Fair(usually flub, depending on fall speed) or Dair(Easy spikes). semi-good DI>sweetspot fair [Credit to Solharath]
Nair
-Nair>Grab (mostly used on shield, hitting nair right before the ground and ontop of there shield l cancelled into grab seems to work pretty well)

Last edited:

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
SHFFL Nair > grab > Down throw is pretty reliable reliable for me, and then if they tech away or miss the tech you can follow up with SideB. I'm on mobile right now, but when I get home I will post more as the come to mind.

FeintStep

Smash Rookie
SHFFL Nair > grab > Down throw is pretty reliable reliable for me, and then if they tech away or miss the tech you can follow up with SideB. I'm on mobile right now, but when I get home I will post more as the come to mind.
just tried this on a few netplay matches and it worked pretty well when they shielded and i hit it right before the ground ontop of there shield

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
just tried this on a few netplay matches and it worked pretty well when they shielded and i hit it right before the ground ontop of there shield
It works when they don't shield as well, as long as you don't sweet spot the Nair.

Here's another. If you get a fair spike on a grounded opponent, and the my DI poorly, you just earned yourself a free fsmash, usually get a couple kills with that string at tournaments.

Last edited:

FeintStep

Smash Rookie
It works when they don't shield as well, as long as you don't sweet spot the Nair.

Here's another. If you get a fair spike on a grounded opponent, and the my DI poorly, you just earned yourself a free fsmash, usually get a couple kills with that string at tournaments.
they cant tech it?

edit: read that wrong, thought it said dair spike, if i get a fair meteor on a grounded opponent though i usually fair them back down so they miss the tech, and honestly just repeat at lower percents, but i like the fsmash idea at like 55%+ definentely worth trying out

Last edited:
Top Bottom