• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Throwback Thread. Going through all Smashes to see pros and cons

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I don’t know if this has been done before, but I thought it would be a cool idea to go through all previous Smash enteries, listing my progress by date and listing out how I feel about each title, to create a groundwork for how Smash for Switch should be. I want to list my general impressions of the titles as I play through them to see how Smash could improve for the future or if they have. Remember, this is a general impressions list from a more casual Smash player, so my thoughts may differ from the competitive community.

Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo GameCube)
06/04/18
Started my adventure in Melee, since I couldn’t play 64, due to not owning it, so I’ll buy it on VC later. Most say Smash began with Melee, so I mine as well start here.
Progress: Played Classic mode with 3 characters being Mario, Link, and Pikachu in that order. I unlocked both Dr. Mario and Jigglypuff, again in that order.
Thoughts: I hate this game. (Okay maybe a bit of an over exaggeration) The hit detection seems off on bosses like Master Hand and the game itself feels so unrewarding as even small rewards like trophies are rarely given, and when they are I’d find the same ones in different mini games. The fact that the only reliable method to get trophies in Classic is a mini game that only gives you three is pathetic. I also hate the base controls, the c-stick does nothing unlike other titles, and the game just feels slippery. I really have bad first impressions of Melee going back after years.

06/05/18
Day two, hopefully it gets better
Progress: due to a lack of time, I was only able to beat Classic Mode with Kirby. I also got the Olimar trophy.
Thoughts: I definitely enjoyed playing as Kirby more than the other 3, but I still ran into similar issues. Boss hit detection still seems off, and with Crazy sometimes thrown into the mix, it makes playing the game very aggravating. To add pros though, the trophies, seemigly being original 3D models is very nice and that Intro is godly. I also love that Classic mode has loads of variety with different bonus games like race to the finish and trophy collecting, as well as target smash. I also love that different characters get their own unique stages, which some were very enjoyable. I just wish the gameplay was a better experience.

06/06/18
Day 3, I want to like Melee, so I tried a different mode.
Progress: I played and beat Adventure mode with Mario and Link. I somehow triggered a Giga-Bowser boss battle, and I unlocked Luigi.
Thoughts: The game is getting better, I enjoyed how Adventure Mode actually challenged the player making them fight instead of allowing move spamming. The game is definitely difficult, but rewarding when you overcome it. As for Adventure Mode itself, I say it follows a Smash tradition of being great in concept, but half-baked in execution. The Mario and Zelda sections were cool as you got to explore the world, but the rest was just underwhelming battles, or a get to point B in a literal straight line. F-Zero and Metroid both had sections, but there was so little to them that they should have been left out. Others just got a second battle, which just dragged Adventure Mode for me. Giga Bowser was a cool twist though. One good thing about Adventure Mode is that players can easily find trophies. As for a con not pertaining to the Mode, the way to unlock Luigi was stupid and weirdly cryptic, you need to have a two in the seconds category, then beat him in Adventure in under a minute. His requirements seem more like how to find an Easter egg than unlock a playable character.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo Wii)
06/06/18
I began playing Brawl with full intent on critiquing it, so I started with the worst mode, in my opinion, the Subspace Emissary.
Progress: I played and beat the first 5 levels of the Subspace on Hard
Thoughts: I must admit, Brawl was a breath of fresh air compared to Melee. The gameplay felt tighter, the c-stick actually did something, and the presentation seemed to be of higher quality. The game had a very cinematic feel, with rich music, a very long panning opening, and very well developed cutscenes. The graphics were also a step up, but the art style is hit or miss, some characters like DK and Diddy look fine, but Mario and Kirby look desolved of their usual color. The Subspace itself has decent platforming, but the worlds are to generic to be seen as memorable, and it was a missed opportunity to not use Nintendo worlds. The enemies also suffered due to being generic. To end, I do love how the Subspace gives out many rewards from trophies to the new addition of stickers.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
07/07/18
Let’s start a Wii U Adventure
Progress: I beat 8 events on hard, completing 4 extra criteria. I also played 7.0 Classic with Mario
Thoughts: Smash 4 has a pleasant art style, the graphics are a lot brighter and characters are full of color. Events are also fun and challenging and I love how they can lead to paths with trophies and coins. Honestly, my only problem with Events is that there isn’t a restart button for if you screw up. Otherwise it’s great. As for Classic, I have many issues. The mode is far to reliant on Multi-Man Melees and lack any extra modes in between. The whole mode is confusing, like I’ll go to try to get an item by beating a character, only for that character’s trophy to immediately get shoved aside for a big or metal fighter. I also hate how the game wants you to play the mode on 7.0 with every character, yet the game starts you out with too few coins to play on the harder difficulties, so you either have to find something else to do, or replay the mode with a character you already used. As a final complaint, stage bosses were a terrible idea, I played an event on Wily Castle and the Yellow Devil was a complete pain. The stage was essentially his with the tiniest space to avoid him, making it difficult to take out opponents.

If you would like to add to create your own experience time line, or discuss your own experiences going back, then you should comment below. This is a work in progress thread, so I’d love to hear some input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom