• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'The Smash Brothers' Documentary' Sequel Gets its First Excerpt

'Metagame', the feature-length sequel to 2013's 'The Smash Brothers' documentary, has just gotten its first excerpt.

Revealed at Super Smash Con 2016, the excerpt shown showcased 6 minutes of the sequel, specifically Joseph "Mango" Marquez's first national win in the form of Pound 3 in 2008. 'Metagame' is also set to cover the modern era of Super Smash Bros. Melee as well as its top players like Kevin "PPMD" Nanney and Adam "Armada" Lindgren.

'The Smash Brothers' was a 9-part series that went over the 'Golden Age of Melee' up until Evolution 2013. Directed by Travis "Samox" Beauchamp of East Point Pictures, both the series and its sequel were partly funded by the community itself.

Are you excited for 'Metagame'? Tell us your thoughts in the comments.

For more coverage on Melee in general, stay tuned on Smashboards.

Last edited:

Comments

the only concern I have about this sequel series is when the inevitable topic of Smash 4 gets brought up.

I'm all for an inside look at Melee in more recent times, don't make any mistake about that... but I'm concerned as to how neutral of a stance it can make so as to not cause any serious controversy and stuff.

because, honestly, personal preferences are fine... but let's at least not push people's buttons, it just makes everyone look bad...

Last edited:
the only concern I have about this sequel series is when the inevitable topic of Smash 4 gets brought up.

I'm all for an inside look at Melee in more recent times, don't make any mistake about that... but I'm concerned as to how neutral of a stance it can make so as to not cause any serious controversy and stuff.

because, honestly, personal preferences are fine... but let's at least not push people's buttons, it just makes everyone look bad...
IDK, imo I think they handled the outlook on Brawl pretty well in the original Smash Brothers' Documentary. I have faith they'd do the same for Sm4sh in the sequel.

>He mains the Ice Climbers in all iterations of the series, that's right all of them. They're definitely in Smash 4.
does he main them in 64 too?
>looks at the smash 64 hacking scene
>soon

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

To be honest, the Smash Documentary sounded like "Melee Purists" The Documentary. It sounded like an emotional soap opera. Odd, because I am a fan of Melee.

IDK, imo I think they handled the outlook on Brawl pretty well in the original Smash Brothers' Documentary. I have faith they'd do the same for Sm4sh in the sequel.
IMO they sounded like whiner babies that hated every game except their own and did not really talk about all of the games and each of their greatness. Even though they did not come out and say it, they hinted that Brawl put everything down the drain.
Don't get me wrong, Melee is one of my favorite Super Smash Brothers games ever and grew up playing the original games from the series (and still play them today) before Brawl ever even came out. And no, I am not a crazy SSBB Fanboy by any means as it leaves a lot to be desired.
These are my observations only, I do not claim them to be true and highly respect your opinion. I look forward to the sequel as well :).

Last edited:
To be honest, the Smash Documentary sounded like "Melee Purists" The Documentary. It sounded like an emotional soap opera. Odd, because I am a fan of Melee.

IMO they sounded like whiner babies that hated every game except their own and did not really talk about all of the games and each of their greatness. Even though they did not come out and say it, they hinted that Brawl put everything down the drain.
Don't get me wrong, Melee is one of my favorite Super Smash Brothers games ever and grew up playing the original games from the series (and still play them today) before Brawl ever even came out. And no, I am not a crazy SSBB Fanboy by any means as it leaves a lot to be desired.
These are my observations only, I do not claim them to be true and highly respect your opinion. I look forward to the sequel as well :).
I agree that 'the smash brothers' felt much more like a melee documentary, but I don't think they were unfairly harsh about Brawl. They said that the game was made not to be competitive, which is true, and even though I'm sure melee was built with the same mindset, I think additions such as tripping were implemented directly as a result of melee becoming too competitive amongst fans.

I'm probably much more of a crazy SSBB fanboy to be honest, it's the only entry I play regularly, so I may be biased, but I think that when you consider the dramatic changes brawl made the documentary was pretty fair.
You have to remember that the people in TSB were probably the ones who stuck by melee, even before we knew it'd survive, a fought to keep it alive whilst the other 99% of players moved on to the next installment.

Having said that, I have faith that Metagame will be much more fair to sm4sh. I might be wrong, but from what I can tell most of the people interviewed probably respect the game, even if they don't actively play it. I'm sure everyone appreciates the positive changes smash wii u made from brawl making a far more legitimate competitive game, not to mention that people like Scar (who lead the fight to keep melee alive during the brawl era) have been embraced by Nintendo at the invitational. Things like Reggie fighting hungrybox, the message he left us at EVO 2014, the invitational and the tournaments they've been sponsoring have all come as of sm4sh, and even though they're done as a marketing tactic to appeal to the hardcore players, I still appreciate the effects they've had on the competitive scene and I'm sure those featured in Metagame would agree. Even if they don't play smash 4, they can recognise the possitive effects it's had on the smash community and I'm sure those effects will be addressed.

Last edited:
This is simply because others Smash games doesn't have any greatness at all (despite the fact that they are good games).
it is not because a game produces thousands entrance at a world wide event that it is a great game.
StreetFighters4 has no greatness compared to STreetFighters 3rth Stryke.
Maybe SF5 will have, we will judge at the end of the day.

Melee history is a convolution of several events that just happened because of particular factors (social phenomenon, birth of underground smash scenes, death/rebirth, specific champ over severals years, international encounters...) , some from the game others from outside the game, that make melee great.
And that can be easily jugded because we have a field of view of 15years.
Note that in a game series, usually there are not more than one game that can hold this status.
Apparently, the fact that all smash games are good games and interesting in a way or another is blinding many people.

Smash 4 is only 3 years old and people want a documentary... and are all ready stating that TheSmashBrothersTheDocumentary was misguided because it focuses only on melee....damn! Ok.
I will cut this short: considering only the several patches , Smash4's metagame is not even one year old...that means Smash4 champs are just Smash4's champs, not great Smash4's champs.
Smash4 is still in history making, building its legacy. A documentary is not a joke, lets do a Smash64 or a Brawl documentary and let the newborn grow.

Last edited:
considering only the several patches , Smash4's metagame is not even one year old...that means Smash4 champs are just Smash4's champs, not great Smash4's champs.
Smash4 is still in history making, building its legacy. A documentary is not a joke, lets do a Smash64 or a Brawl documentary and let the newborn grow.
I agree with you on this part of your post completely. I disagree with the first part when you said that the other Smash games appart from Melee have no greatness at all, but thats just me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom