• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I'm having problems in the neutral.

I know what it is, i just have no idea what to do during it, I usually end up just rushing in and dash attacking or grabbing. And I feel that is a big downfall of mine, any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
When im in the air landing and i plan to use a projectile or a charged attack, i land and fire in the opposite direction as intended, leaving me vulnerable. why does this happen? am i pressing a button that makes it do this? please help

jset818

Smash Cadet
What monitors do Evo use for the main stage and off stage Smash 4? Anybody have any recommendations for cheap low input lag monitors that are ideal for Smash 4? My budget is $150.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Quick question, what would be the absolute best way to conserve/preserve Puff fundamentals when I can't actually play Smash Bros U or 3DS for some time (Lack of power adaptor)? I can switch between Brawl, Melee and 4 Puff relatively easily, and that made me think, would it be a good idea in that case to play Smash Flash 2 Puff as a way to preserve my fundamentals at the very least? And yes, I know I will get worse at Smash 4 no matter what this way, but I'd like to know how to minimize this, or if that solution would minimize the worsening.

Edit: I got the Wii u to work, but I still think this is a good question, so I'll leave it up.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I have a question: I was tasked by other member to spread a poll to as many thread I can. However, after posting it to a couple of threads, I realized it could be seen as spam. Am I allowed to spread this poll or is it against the rules? I'm sorry if it isn't allowed.
What IS the poll?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
What's the difference between soft landing lag and hard landing lag? What causes each one?
Hmmm.....from what I'd guess, it's probably one of two things:
-Whenever you land normally, without any inputs, there's a very short animation with IASA frames (I think there's, like, one frame where you actually can't do anything). This could be soft landing lag, whereas hard landing lag is landing lag from an aerial.
-It could also be a Melee-specific term used to compare the landing lag of normal aerials to L-canceled ones.

There's also the possibility that it's just aerials with little landing lag versus those with a lot of it, or some other thing that I'm unaware of. It's probably the latter, so if somebody could come in and correct me on this that'd be handy dandy.

Last edited:

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
So how does the new youtube replay upload feature work? Can someone link me the guide or something thanks!
edit: nvm

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
So how does the new youtube replay upload feature work? Can someone link me the guide or something thanks!
That's what I'm wondering as well.

I originally opted out of the sharing feature but since I miraculously had a good day on FG, I want to share the videos for people to see how I did and if there's anything I missed/should improve on in a MU with another character.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
That's what I'm wondering as well.

I originally opted out of the sharing feature but since I miraculously had a good day on FG, I want to share the videos for people to see how I did and if there's anything I missed/should improve on in a MU with another character.
Well i noticed the sharing feature is an option when you press a replay now so i uploaded and it went fine.

[SKS]Jarp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5472-7479-6841
What is the point of doing jump cancelled up smash when dashing? It seems to be the same thing as when I do it manually(my c stick is tilts so i do up a for upsmash)

jset818

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to know if a combo is a true combos? I'm not sure if the combo indicator in training mode is accurate. For example, when I go into the training mode to practice my Rob dthrow upair true combo against Mario, training mode tells me that I can combo all the way to 80% but when I try to do in a 1v1 match. My opponent almost always seem to be able to airdodge out at like 30%.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
What is the point of doing jump cancelled up smash when dashing? It seems to be the same thing as when I do it manually(my c stick is tilts so i do up a for upsmash)
The thing gives you a little slide that increases the range of the attack, albeit by a small amount. Test it on something like Battlefield- if you use the move in the same place each time, the JC Usmash will send you ever so slightly further.

It's important to note that it's affected by the traction- and to a lesser extent, speed- of the character you use, and certain characters don't really get anything out of it because of high traction (such as Rob).

Grandpa Knowledge

Smash Rookie
Hi, recently the patch 1.1.0 was released and the momentum of actions no longer sliding off the edges was reverted, for example C. Falcon dash grab, it also affected the special moves? Like Sheik sliding with needles, answer right now! I need to know, I can't test it to well because I don't have were to practice u':

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Is there a way to know if a combo is a true combos? I'm not sure if the combo indicator in training mode is accurate. For example, when I go into the training mode to practice my Rob dthrow upair true combo against Mario, training mode tells me that I can combo all the way to 80% but when I try to do in a 1v1 match. My opponent almost always seem to be able to airdodge out at like 30%.
Do NOT go by the combo counter in training mode.

Last edited:

Samlage

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think lucario might work as a compliment to falcon in games where approach options are very sparse?

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
If sent toward the corner of the screen, which way should I DI, opposite to my velocity? Also, to be sure, if knocked away horizontally, DI inward, and if knocked away upward, DI up and away, correct?

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
This is a good time to point out that vectoring exists.

Despite what you might hear, vectoring wasn't actually removed from the game entirely- just that it no longer affects vertical knockback. VI is much stronger than DI, so you're pretty much right about that.

However, for vertical moves you'll want to just DI away, since vectoring won't help you in that situation.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
So there is no way to test whether or not something is true combo except with another person?
You really do have to try against another human. The combo counter doesn't take into consideration a player's DI or ability to struggle out of moves strings with quick aerials like Luigi's nair, as long as the combo in training mode is somewhat rapid.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
This is a good time to point out that vectoring exists.

Despite what you might hear, vectoring wasn't actually removed from the game entirely- just that it no longer affects vertical knockback. VI is much stronger than DI, so you're pretty much right about that.
If you were sent flying by a fsmash, would it not be an effective use of both DI and VI to first DI upward from the launch and then immediately switching over to VI?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I believe that VI follows the same sort of input methodology as DI, meaning that you would lose the ability to VI at the same time as DI. I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it on this one.

Last edited:

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
If you were sent flying by a fsmash, would it not be an effective use of both DI and VI to first DI upward from the launch and then immediately switching over to VI?
If you DI up in any way you will die earlier. So its better to just VI toward the stage.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
It's not always guaranteed anyway. However, you want your opponent to airdodge, you can mix it up with a full power f-smash on their landing lag. Kills at like 50%. I do the D-throw up B to train them into airdodging.

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
Hi guys!
I'm a little desperate because I don't know where can I use the roll option, I don't use many rolls when playing and I think this is bad because I heard that ZeRo likes to approach with roll, Can you guys tell me where is safe and is good to roll?
*Sorry guys my English is not perfect at all

Last edited:

Erik33

Smash Rookie
NNID
priets33
3DS FC
2423-3959-2549
Kinda of a weird thing here. When holding Z "grab button" and pushing down every character I have tried does a forward tilt attack. Is this a bug or intentional?

Edit: changed forward to down sorry.

Second edit: Also seems to do down smash attacks if timed correctly.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Hi guys!
I'm a little desperate because I don't know where can I use the roll option, I don't use many rolls when playing and I think this is bad because I heard that ZeRo likes to approach with roll, Can you guys tell me where is safe and is good to roll?
*Sorry guys my English is not perfect at all
ZeRo likes to approach with roll
What no no no NO-

....Ahem. *cough*

Rolls and spotdodging are a very, very good option this time around. However, using them to approach is just about one of the worst things you can do- dodging should never be your primary, secondary, or even tertiary mode of movement across the stage. I can tell you right now, this is not something ZeRo (or any player with even a shred of sense) is doing in tournament play. It makes you predictable, and if you're predictable you're punishable... and if you're punishable, you've already lost.

In fact, it sounds like you have the opposite problem of most players, which is to dodge mindlessly all over the place- it's something people ask for advice on a lot in this thread, actually. If it's a matter of remembering that you even have the option to do it, I'd just try and get it drilled into you. If it's just not an option you use all that often, great! That's no problem at all, you're doing things perfectly; just keep it in mind as an option to get out of hairy situations. You also have the options of spotdodging, or just shielding in place (another option that's much better in this game), or even just throwing out a quick attack to cover the space in front of you.

Places to not roll would be anywhere that constricts the animation, particularly platforms. While you can get away with shielding and spotdodging there, a directional roll is confined to the platform, making it very easy for people to throw out an attack to cover one (or both) of the two places you could potentially be headed with it. You can get away with it sometimes, but use it sparingly. The same goes for rolling into people, because it's absurdly risky and if they anticipate it they'll have something waiting for you- think about dodging right into an eager Jigglypuff's Rest, and you'll get the picture.

Hope this helps! (and sorry about the wall of text, with luck it won't be too hard to understand all this)

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
@ X XenoBlur I have merged your thread with the existing Q&A thread.
Thanks bro!

What no no no NO-

....Ahem. *cough*

Rolls and spotdodging are a very, very good option this time around. However, using them to approach is just about one of the worst things you can do- dodging should never be your primary, secondary, or even tertiary mode of movement across the stage. I can tell you right now, this is not something ZeRo (or any player with even a shred of sense) is doing in tournament play. It makes you predictable, and if you're predictable you're punishable... and if you're punishable, you've already lost.

In fact, it sounds like you have the opposite problem of most players, which is to dodge mindlessly all over the place- it's something people ask for advice on a lot in this thread, actually. If it's a matter of remembering that you even have the option to do it, I'd just try and get it drilled into you. If it's just not an option you use all that often, great! That's no problem at all, you're doing things perfectly; just keep it in mind as an option to get out of hairy situations. You also have the options of spotdodging, or just shielding in place (another option that's much better in this game), or even just throwing out a quick attack to cover the space in front of you.

Places to not roll would be anywhere that constricts the animation, particularly platforms. While you can get away with shielding and spotdodging there, a directional roll is confined to the platform, making it very easy for people to throw out an attack to cover one (or both) of the two places you could potentially be headed with it. You can get away with it sometimes, but use it sparingly. The same goes for rolling into people, because it's absurdly risky and if they anticipate it they'll have something waiting for you- think about dodging right into an eager Jigglypuff's Rest, and you'll get the picture.

Hope this helps! (and sorry about the wall of text, with luck it won't be too hard to understand all this)
I only read it on a comment that he approaches with roll, I never use roll so I think Im going to use it more because I use shield and I get grabbed and dont get me wrong Im not a noob, I only though that I should use more because I find it difficult to punish with slow characters and I saw a video showing that Sheik has the best roll so... But thanks!! I appreciate it!
I know roll is bad but using 1 or 2 rolls per game is bad too

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Best tips against a R.O.B?
Get the gyro. Gyro is everything to a Rob player, if you can get it from them you've just gained their best tool to use for yourself.

He's also very vulnerable in the air due to his poor options for escaping juggles, so try and keep him there as long as you can.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, it is good to use dodges and rolls ONLY to avoid the opponent's attacks instead of a way of moving across the stage...?

(If it is so, got it.)

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
So, it is good to use dodges and rolls ONLY to avoid the opponent's attacks instead of a way of moving across the stage...?

(If it is so, got it.)
Its good to use them only when necessary, if you roll around your opponent to much then they will read you, if you dodge to much, they can also read you.

Top Bottom