• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shielding Thread

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I thought this would be interesting. This is a thread for everything shield related. Shieldbreak stories, info of shield breaking moves, how to shield safely, etc. If you have anything interesting to say about shielding, I'd love to hear it.

I have a few stories myself.

I once knocked a Marth with very low percentage lightly offstage with Ganon and decided to up tilt. Marth lands back onstage right in front of me and decides to shield the volcano kick. His shield instantly breaks, I taunt, and I reverse Warlock Punch him for a less than 30% kill. Awesome

I was fighting a Bowser in For Glory who insisted on taunting after every kill or strong hit, so I decided to go Megaman against him. We start the match, and he instantly taunts. I start the same way I always do with Megaman, with an immediate crash bomb. It hits him mid taunt, and he shields to take no damage. However, I use crash bombs to bait a shield so that I can follow up with a fully charged charge shot, which I did. The crash bomb lightly damaged his shield, and the charge shot barely didn't break it, but for some reason Bowser holds his shield after the hits, gets pushed back to ledge, then gets his shield broken. He flies into the air, slides past the ledge and falls into the blast zone. I couldn't stop laughing.

To make it even better, he tried to side b suicide to kill me his second stock, even though he dies first from it, but since he had another crash bomb on him, it interrupted him next to the blast zone hitting him down into it, and me up high enough away from it for Rush to get me back to the ledge.

I know the second part isn't shield-related, but it's my favorite smash story and I couldn't help myself.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Okay, the second story was hilariously depressing. How could a Smasher possibly be that narrow-minded to taunt the first few seconds of a battle?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Online tourney, me versus Bowser.

Doing pretty well, down to the last stock.

I put my shield up at the edge.

Bowser uses down-b.

My shield breaks, I tumble to my doom.

I think I cried.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Online tourney, me versus Bowser.

Doing pretty well, down to the last stock.

I put my shield up at the edge.

Bowser uses down-b.

My shield breaks, I tumble to my doom.

I think I cried.
The salt.

I taste it, even from behind the screen.

I feel bad for you. I hate it when that happens.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The salt.

I taste it, even from behind the screen.

I feel bad for you. I hate it when that happens.
Nah, it was my own fault for being stupid.

I did the same thing to my brother in friendlies the other day, though, and it felt soooo gooood~

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
For all the Ganon players out there, I just saw this video with another shield pressure option. Short hop Wizard's Foot does major shield damage with the hit from the foot and the hit from the shockwave. It's barely not enough to break a shield in one hit, but i think it's still worth noting considering Ganon has about a 95% chance of killing you on a shield break. The only way you could survive the reverse aerial Warlock punch is being at less than 20% either in the middle of the stage or with a heavyweight character. And even then, Ganon can push his opponent closer to the ledge before the punch. I think it's a good trick to know how to do, and if they don't shield, you get major knock back and 15% damage.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2

I did the same thing to my brother in friendlies the other day, though, and it felt soooo gooood~
Yeah, shield breaks are the BEST. The satisfaction involved in getting one can only be compared to the satisfaction of meteor smashes and hard reads.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374

My sister and I are on the same level, but the time she somehow did a hard-ass read AND breaking my shield with Dr. Mario and Mario was basically spilled salt on the screen.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I got real salty one time when is used Ganon's up tilt, a move that's supposed to instantly break shields completely unless perfect shielded, on another Ganon's shield. They were at the furthest tip of the hitbox and shielded the hit. Their shield was the size of a pea, but they released their shield and walked away home free. So close.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I got real salty one time when is used Ganon's up tilt, a move that's supposed to instantly break shields completely unless perfect shielded, on another Ganon's shield. They were at the furthest tip of the hitbox and shielded the hit. Their shield was the size of a pea, but they released their shield and walked away home free. So close.
I've been there.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Does anybody have any tips on how to bait a shield with a non-projectile character like Falcon? I can bait shields with other characters, but if I could find a way to bait shields with Ganon and Falcon it would be amazing.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Does anybody have any tips on how to bait a shield with a non-projectile character like Falcon? I can bait shields with other characters, but if I could find a way to bait shields with Ganon and Falcon it would be amazing.
That's a toughie. Have you tried simply running up to them? It's pretty much a natural reaction to shield when you think someone's going to attack you. You don't even have to attack either, just get near them and stand still, and if you're quick enough, you can catch them off-guard.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
That's a toughie. Have you tried simply running up to them? It's pretty much a natural reaction to shield when you think someone's going to attack you. You don't even have to attack either, just get near them and stand still, and if you're quick enough, you can catch them off-guard.
Sounds like it would work. Thanks. I'll try it.

Top Bottom