• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rainbow Cruise Stage Discussion

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Facts:
- the scrolling of the stage forces mobile action
- character's with aerial mobility, multiple jumps, and excellent recovery thrive here. those without tend to fail hard
- the scrolling of the stage has an effect on grab releases on metaknight based on which side you are on and which stage portion (most noticable is marth's GR>stutter tipper fsmash)

Cons:
- metaknight does better on this stage against us than we do against him thx to that stupid uair (although we do have some advantages)
- the scrolling can kill you off any blast zone based on which way the stage is heading if you get stuck or trip
- DDD can infinite us on the walls here.
- characters like DK, marth, MK, G&W, etc can get good damage on us if they get us with a dtilt against a wall
- diddy can nana lock us against the wall

Pros:
- between wing refresh, glide, 4 jumps, and normal WOI we don't get gimped at this stage and can effectivley beat nearly anyone here at being mobile thanks to WOI stuff
- we can shark well
- we can run away on the long parts and camp
- we have guarenteed air releases on wario and MK here (the scrolling release on MK has lead me to think of something that im gonna post in Luckay's idea thread next)
- our own CG is buffed against walls here against several characters and gives us CGs on characters we normally don't (this is mostly true at the boat wall)
- killing is not that hard on this stage due to pit being a gimp master and the lower blast zones at the top of the stage (dash attack buffed)
- we can air camp really well here with dair and other stuff
- certain stage portions give us slanted dtilt and slanted AR
- we can timeout pretty much anyone on this stage

alright guys, i've laid the foundation. you know the drill:
- who do we CP here and why? what tactics work best?
- who do we avoid here and why? if we must fight them here what should we do?
- what other stage dynamic's that favor pit am i missing (if any)?

to quote the terran.... "GO! GO! GO! *additional supply depots required*"

WHO TO CP HERE AND WHY (some of these are debatable like the monkeys but still at least it lists how to play them here)

Spacies (all 3):
-out manuever due to superior recovery thus getting easy gimps
-sharking on the second part owns falco
-we can time out falco easy on this stage since if he chases us he puts himself in a terrible position to get gimped

Donkey Kong:
-extended CG on the boat for tons of damage.
-we can wait out the boat if neccassary but we can also wreck him with out nair, jab, dtilt, and grab.
-from the second part of the stage until the 4th he is easy to juggle, shark, and gimp

Diddy Kong:
-we can pressure diddy on the boat and not give him time to pull bananas. and if we manage to get ahold of both bananas we can wall infinite him but we gotta be careful as he can do it to us obviously
-while diddy has good aerials, again we shark his *** hard from 2nd-3rd. not to mention our mobility and gimping capability
-part four we can run pivot arrow and camp all day

Ice Climbers:
-the moving stage forces them to drop CGs or die
-they are easy to gimp here since uair separates them usually and sharking owns
-we can time them out with wing refresh and air camping and normal camping all day

Lucario:
-laughably easy to gimp here. with wing refresh and forcing him to come out in the air to us our options to eat his jump (either arrow or weak bair or fair and even nair) combined with his poor recovery=easy gimps
-the boat forces up close confrontation, and pit eats through lucario at close range for some reason
-if we are killing with gimps like we should be, his aura won't ever be too much of a threat which is nice

Snake:
-extended wall cg on the boat for more free and easy damage
-this stage forces snake into the air, we win that fight easy
-we can out camp snake easy on this stage with our mobility and the stage naturally inhibiting grenade play

ZSS
-There is literally nothing for her to tether grab on the rising part so getting her to the left will make her recovery options severely limited.
- The fact that the stage is constantly moving gives us an advantage since ZSS mains always try to get a dsmash set up and they have to be still for that.
- The pendulum will **** her if she doesn't tech when you hit her at the donut blocks.

Ike/Ness/Mario/Bowser/Falcon
-Pretty much just the fact that we can time them out easily on this stage. We as pits need to go for time outs, not super ledge planking because the bbr is starting to limit our ledge grabs, but having the mindset to avoid getting hit at all times, escaping confrontation. Running away in this game can lead to victory

olimar
-as long as we survive the boat part we can gimp him easily on the second part and outcamp him in the third part

fUddO

Smash Ace
Just some random thoughts that passed through my mind -

Watch out for the really lame MK Uthrow gimps. There are places on the ship part that can essentially give MK a free kill.

Taking Olimar might not make as much sense as it first seems. Both the ship and the 3rd part of the stage are better for him than for us, but the 2nd part might make up for it if you're spot on with your gimps. Most likely he'll ban it anyways though.

Watch out for Dtilt locks against walls (MK, Marth, etc.)

How does that grab release work? Sounds like a must-know technique, especially since the best Marth in my region likes to CP everyone to RC.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
mk cant dtilt lock against a wall without it being a jab lock scenario. his is different than marths. i'll post my thoughts after this weekend.

I think MK is amazing on cruise but you have to play absurdly gay. If you just play like normal than it's probably worse than Battlefield. The boat would probably be MKs worst stage if it was by itself, then the whole horizontal place is just smashville with more platforms/walkoff. The vertical part is the only place that MK gets an edge and you can just run away from him on that part. If anything Rainbow cruise just tests your vertical spacing/timing and without that he's not really good on it...
70% of smashers agree MK is amazing on RC...but 75% of smashers are ******** when it comes to logic.

There are 3 parts of the Rainbow Criuse: The boat, the rising part, and then the top. 2 of those parts are terrible for MK (The boat and the top). That leaves the rising part where MK is amazing because he can shark the hell out of you.

Oh wait, any character with decent jumps can get ahead of MK and just stay really high, OR stay on the ground and don't let up your position. That little thing at the very bottom has 2 ledges, folks. If MK is on the right side, be on the left side. His aerial movement sucks and you know when you are in range of a shuttle loop...so just run off the side and FF air dodge to get below him, or go all the way up to the blocks at the top of the pendulum. MK can't really **** with you there.

On the top MK can dair camp the platforms...but he has to come down some time because of the reset. Stay on the right side of MK and force him to combat you as the stage is going down. If he is going for the donuts, you can easily tell and dash in and hit him.

You guys act like he is a god without really analyzing what he is good on at the stage...running away. If people played RC right AGAINST MK, every match should be going to time since MK is stalling out the 1st and 3rd part while every other character wants to stall out the 2nd part.

Right Halzy?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
nice bit of info right there kuro. not sure i buy the part about MK sucking at the boat part tho. but these guys do have a lot of experiance so they are probably right. i never fight MKs here tho either so i would guess our mobility would be what gives us the edge here against him in a timeout scenario.

this is probably a great stage to take ICs to if they don't ban it. but if they ban rainbow we still have brinstar (lol it sounds kinda like MK tbh, RC and Brinstar....). i mean we can just wait out the boat, fight on the second part and camp on the third part. plus getting gimps wouldn't be too hard to get here on ICs probably.

Lame~

Smash Rookie
I say take the space animals here. We can camp them all day long and they're pretty limited as far as jumps and recovery on RC. Plus we can CG lock them for a little bit on some most parts of the map. Falco might be scary cause of his d-air dunks though.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
our cg is extended on the boat in that little wall. but falco should not be getting a spike kill on us at all on this stage. he should never be close enough to and if he happens to get above you, pit uair>>>>> falco dair. but he should just be having a hard time keeping up let alone actually hitting us.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hmm, we can timeout on this stage too. We can just shark the boat, and I know I did this vs my G&W friend. I beat him on this stage in close matches that we had the other day, but yeah it's a lot of vertical spacing, and this stage has so many platforms and levels--its really a challenge learning this stage. Any other tips on how to arrow spam/use Pit's moves the most optimally?

I also, camped the bottom on the second transformation and then uair'd under the platforms...seems to work well.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Personally, I love Rainbow Cruise as a stage for Pit. We can just move around so freely here, and any other character that can't fly is our prey on this stage. It's just that simple. Taking the spacies here is also a wonderful choice. So much of their game is eliminated when we take them to Rainbow Cruise.

As for the MK discussion, I would definitely try to stay below MK during the rising part. I think the Top and Boat parts are just regular procedure with him, since the stages have characteristics of other stages.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
alright guys, im gonna put it simple.

EVERYONE GIVE ME 5 CHARACTERS THAT WE SHOULD TAKE HERE WITH 3 REASONS EACH.

for example
falco:
-sharking on the second part owns falco
-we can time out falco easy on this stage since if he chases us he puts himself in a terrible position to get gimped

go team go!

Xcallion

Smash Ace
fox:
-sharking on the second part owns fox
-we can time out fox easy on this stage since if he chases us he puts himself in a terrible position to get gimped

Sooo, exactly the same as falco ;)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
lol. okay ill actually put down my 5 as well and do my part. and i won't use falco again

Donkey Kong:
-extended CG on the boat for tons of damage.
-we can wait out the boat if neccassary but we can also wreck him with out nair, jab, dtilt, and grab.
-from the second part of the stage until the 4th he is easy to juggle, shark, and gimp

Diddy Kong:
-we can pressure diddy on the boat and not give him time to pull bananas. and if we manage to get ahold of both bananas we can wall infinite him but we gotta be careful as he can do it to us obviously
-while diddy has good aerials, again we shark his *** hard from 2nd-3rd. not to mention our mobility and gimping capability
-part four we can run pivot arrow and camp all day

Ice Climbers:
-the moving stage forces them to drop CGs or die
-they are easy to gimp here since uair separates them usually and sharking owns
-we can time them out with wing refresh and air camping and normal camping all day

Lucario:
-laughably easy to gimp here. with wing refresh and forcing him to come out in the air to us our options to eat his jump (either arrow or weak bair or fair and even nair) combined with his poor recovery=easy gimps
-the boat forces up close confrontation, and pit eats through lucario at close range for some reason
-if we are killing with gimps like we should be, his aura won't ever be too much of a threat which is nice

Snake:
-extended wall cg on the boat for more free and easy damage
-this stage forces snake into the air, we win that fight easy
-we can out camp snake easy on this stage with our mobility and the stage naturally inhibiting grenade play.

there. i wasn't lazy, now it's your guys' turn. i don't care if you do the same characters as long as everyone puts out differant info they find relevant and such. but we gotta keep these stage discussions going active or they will die out like so many other possibley great threads.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
olimar
-as long as we survive the boat part we can gimp him easily on the second part and outcamp him in the third part
Link
-keep him pressured on the first part with reflectors
-gimp him on part two
-camp him on part 3
snake
-he cant camp because his explosives stay behind as the stage moves
-if we get him offstage on the second part we get a lot of damage or even a kill
spacies
-due to the multilevel nature of the level we'll hit with arrows much more easily than they can hit us with lazers
-their recovery sucks here
-falco's cg is very limited on the first two parts assuming you play smart and dont let him grab you in the wrong direction. on the boat, camp to the left on the top camp to the right (to avoid being CG's right off the edge)
IC's
-their mobillity is an issue for them here
-their CG is very limited

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
kyubei approves this thread

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Disagree with taking the monkeys here because:

Diddy kong can get an infinite nanner lock on the boat if it gets set up right. The overall size of it limits our mobility and space to shoot arrows giving him better stage control with his nanners. We can run away on the rising part, but the side scrolling part has small side blast zones and he can get easier kills from nanner to dsmash or fair set ups. I've seen Diddy Kong players do really well here.

Donkey Kong can also get a wall lock on us with his dtilt and he can use his cargo grab to set it up. Also the side scroll part at the top is death for us if he gets his hax range dsmash on us.

Some people we can take here:

ZSS
-There is literally nothing for her to tether grab on the rising part so getting her to the left will make her recovery options severely limited.
- The fact that the stage is constantly moving gives us an advantage since ZSS mains always try to get a dsmash set up and they have to be still for that.
- The pendulum will **** her if she doesn't tech when you hit her at the donut blocks.

Ike/Ness/Mario/Bowser/Falcon
-Pretty much just the fact that we can time them out easily on this stage. We as pits need to go for time outs, not super ledge planking because the bbr is starting to limit our ledge grabs, but having the mindset to avoid getting hit at all times, escaping confrontation. Running away in this game can lead to victory.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
^^^^^
Agreed--& I definitely need to get better @ playing safe and timing out. My pride & ego ruins my chances of timing out. I need to get rid of this mindset though, and take my feelings & pride out of the game--especially w/ Pit. I don't want to be called a "camper" "cheap" or "not skilled" or "gay" and those are some of the reasons why I feel I haven't progressed as fast as I feel I can--I care too much what people think! It's a bad mindset...and I will stop this nonsense.

I think RC is an overall viable CP for Pit--probably a stage we all need to look more into.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
On the boat part. Make sure you don't get dtilt locked from characters, such as DK, Game@Watch, Marth. King D3 can infinite CG you if your not careful at the boat part.

When your getting off the boat and the opponent is trying to camp all day on the magic carpet, use an empty jump first. Don't be eager to shark them first because most players have a tendency of putting up their shield. If you empty jump first, and Uair on the second jump, it can throw any camper off that's standing on the magic carpet.

Play it safe and camp all day with rising dair or falling dair when your in the magic carpet scene.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
You know the last part of the scrolling where it goes back down to the boat? We can stay on the last platform that is slowly moving to the right and rain arrows on people for a short while and be completely safe unless its a ditto :awesome:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Like i said i should be able to do some stadiums and rc stuff this weeekend and come back with what i notice

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
well ya im not saying take mk here, im just saying if he takes us here we can at least do something unlike the majority of the cast.

alrighty im gonna take the info you guys gave me, add it to the OP, and let you know which stages are up for vote next in the battlemap thread

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
well ya im not saying take mk here, im just saying if he takes us here we can at least do something unlike the majority of the cast.

alrighty im gonna take the info you guys gave me, add it to the OP, and let you know which stages are up for vote next in the battlemap thread
Ill ad some info on here when i get to play here more k? Then you can edit w/e you posted

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
basically I usually take MK to neutrals. He's too good on virtually all the CP stages
in terms of RC specifically. I would probably ban RC against MK. he'll run circles around you. almost any other stage would be better for Pit in that matchup

against most characters RC is good for pit because he's prigood in the air

but i hate RC on principle so I try to avoid going there, but its manageable if I get taken there.

fUddO

Smash Ace
I agree on banning against MK. Even though we can fight here, almost any other stage would work out better, except for maybe those you can't fly under.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I can't give you a link per say, because I don't have one. I just take notes down while playing on certain stages Rainbow being one of them. I'll try to get everything written down.

Top Bottom