• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The purpose of Coin Launcher?

Spanky-Joe

Smash Cadet
:mad:Hey guys, just to bring this question up, what exactly IS the coin launcher's purpose? It gives you trophies and stickers but the main purpose is to fight each other with your favorite Nintendo characters yes? Not to collect some useless trophies and stickers. Even though, in subspace emissary you can place stickers on character trophies to increase your stats. But that just seems dumb.and you need coins to do the launcher, what are the purpose of coins?!?!? Anywho... Post your thoughts and ideas about this strange...Thing:mad:

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
you have already answered your own question, have you not?

:mad:Hey guys, just to bring this question up, what exactly IS the coin launcher's purpose? It gives you trophies and stickers [...]

the coins are used as ammo for the launcher while you beat up the enemies to earn Trophies / Stickers.

Spanky-Joe

Smash Cadet
What I mean is the purpose of the game is to fight yes? Well we don't need a little game to shoot coins. Sorry this is my personal opinion. But still,why do we need trophies in this game?

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
It adds to the whole history of Nintendo theme Smash has. Hence them using a variety of old and new characters, the Chronicle which listed games for each console, the Classics demos, etc.
In terms of functionality, the coin launcher was far more interesting than the lottery machine on Melee. I could never get the right amount of coins selected on that thing.

Spanky-Joe

Smash Cadet
True true. I just thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss even if it has a well known purpose

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
The purpose isn't in the coin launcher, but the content it unlocks.
You could substitute the coin launcher with anything really. It just works due to the interaction aspect of it, yet the fact it is easy enough that anyone can reap its rewards.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Coin Launcher was pretty much implemented so that players would have to put more effort into getting all the random trophies and stickers.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I liked it better than the Vending Machine in Melee, it's a nice break from fighting, but it is definitely more annoying to unlock everything and could use some improvements to rectify that problem.

I think there is suppose to be a really thin story woven into the world of the smash games. In the first one, you see this cinema scene of the dolls coming to life to fight each other. Originally arranged by the master hand.

The 2nd and 3rd installments sort of give vague cinematics of something similar. In place of dolls, the characters are replaced by trophies. This is further expanded upon in brawl when you see characters entering and reentering their trophy state more often. I think there is some sort of reason they picked the coin launcher that vaguely fits into the whole smash universe.

So overall, the reason for trophies goes back to melee where you see a trophy coming to life to fight and going into a catatonic state when its finished. The exact purpose of the coin launcher which gets you the trophies in such a manner I am not entirely sure of.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
It just adds a fun alternative to unlocking trophies and stickers.

You can seriously rack up a lot of new trophies when you get on a roll.

Top Bottom