• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Powerful Luma Jab Spin

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Hey people,
This is a guide detailing a fairly old tech, the luma spin jab, and it's uses that I've found while testing it. Ill first go over set up, then it's limits, and finally, it's uses. I haven't heard many people talk about this tech and that confuses me, as it has AMAZING applications.

So without further ado,

THE SET UP
Ok so this tech can be set up from one of five situations:
When in landing lag of up b,
After having missed a tech,
While teching,
After having broken your shield,
While in hitstun on the floor,
While in hitstun and Luma is detethered(need to test this),
When stunned,
When grounded,
And while grabbed.
Basically, whenever rosalina can move and luma can move and rosalina is on the ground
When you are in these situations, all you have to do to start the luma spin is mash A until luma starts spinning but not so much that rosa starts too. Then, you just hold down the A button.

THE PROPERTIES
So what makes this tech special is just how hardy luma is in this "stance". The spin hitboxes are special in that they are a disjoint which nearly covers the whole of luma, only missing the very top and bottom. Not only this, but it is very hard to hit luma out of the stance. Look to the limits section for exact rules on what breaks the jab. Anyway, I will be explaining the luma in terms of two parts, the up wards part and the downward part.thses two sides have very different "reactions" to enemies who attack them. On the lower side, it will inflict 1% and do low knock back. On the other side, However, the other side a whole other story. When the opponent hits this side, they will be hit inwards, towards the lower side. In the short period of time you have here, you can charge up smashes and other attacks and they often CANNOT defend them selves.

THE LIMITS (boo)
Through testing, I've figured out that the tech can be broken by moves that follow one of these criteria:

1:if moves hit the center of Luma from top or bottom as there are no hitboxes to defend that area (many dairs or moves like bowser's Dtilt will do the job)
2:disjoints that do 9+ damage(if the hurtbox touches luma spin b4 hit box hits luma, the opposing attack is stopped) (I'm not as sure about this one. Need to do more research)
3:transcendent projectiles with knock back (falco laser)
4:invincible/ armored moves (little Mac...almost every thing lol)
That's all I know of at the moment

THE USES
There are two ways that this tech can be used: offensively as well as defensively. In some matchups one way may be better than another. But I will explain both here and the strategies that can be used during this.

First off, there is the campy strategy, the one that all people love Rosalina for doing. You see,most attacks don't stop this technique. Moves like bowser and bowser Jr's Fsmash are both cancelled against this move, stopping the animation and the hit box. So a very useful strategy against some characters is to essentially just camp behind the luma to stay safe from them. Very useful.

Next, there is the stage controlling aspect of it. Some characters will have a difficult time getting rid of the tech using normal attacks and have to rely on very laggy moves to get rid of it so they can properly traverse the stage. So setting this tech up in this way gains you two things: stage control and bait.

Also, edgeguarding with this move can be very potent. By spacing this tech, properly at the edge, it covers the following three get up options:normal, jump, and attack. This leaves them with roll and to jump off stage and get back on somehow. By limiting them like this repeatedly, it becomes MUCH easier to edgeguard them with dair or predict their roll and charge an up smash.

EDIT: As you can obviously see, this guide is nowhere near finished. I have large expectations for this guide so, stay tuned. I just don't want to type this up on my phone but I wanted to get started at least. This will be fixed and added to soon.

EDIT: I plan on adding a section on this techs usage matchup by matchup. It is really good in some and... Not so much in others. Still doing research on the tech to see all uses. If you guys find any, please pm me and I may add it here. My main reason for making this post is not just to spread knowledge of the tech but also to have the community help in the proper implementation of this tech into rosalina and lumas arsenal. Thank you fellow smashers.

EDIT: If anyone has time, can the try to see if there is a way to manipulate the tech so that it is higher off of the ground. I've figured out how to get it on ground level(dair at a specific distance above the ground while falling from up b) but I can't find a way to make it go higher on command. Good luck

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-luma-spin-and-you-a-quick-guide.378000/

Actually did a write up on this very subject quite some time ago. It's still missing a few things, so if you ever want to work together to unravel the mysteries of the Luma jab desynch, I'm your guy. I love using the tech. There isn't much more satisfying than landing a fully charged smash attack because an opponent was foolish enough to walk into the back of the spin ( Even though Rosa charged smashes do pitiful damage >> ).

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
It's been documented on the boards in the past but there's another way to set this up. Right before hitstun ends there's a small window rosalina can control Luma, if Rosalina is on the ground during this period she can start up the spin if Luma isn't in hitstun. Easiest way to see it in work is just spam grab on the ground and set a training cpu to attack and face your back to them, you'll see that you can desync Luma. However you can't hold grab to keep the spin going, you'd have to switch to the attack button. I'm not sure why that is, I'm guessing the grab button is just a macro and the attack button part of the macro turns off after a certain amount of frames and just holds shield.

This might be able to be developed as a counter, if you're hit with a weak enough attack Luma will start spinning and Rosa is free to move around. Seems hard to do reliably, but maybe it'll advance over time, kind of like a parry. The nice thing is it sets your opponent up for an easy infinite spin + grab combo, I think with pummeling it gets around 27% of damage before the grab release, but I don't remember exactly, I'm sure it's percentage dependent.

Also of course you can initiate it while in hit stun if separated from Luma because nintendo's weird

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Another interesting thing about this tech is that, using the up b method while luma is detached, it will only do the jabs if luma is ALSO touching the ground/ in grounded state.

EDIT: Just tested it, what matters is that LUMA in on the ground level. So you don't even have to land woth the up b method. You just have to spam A at the top of the up b.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Another interesting thing about this tech is that, using the up b method while luma is detached, it will only do the jabs if luma is ALSO touching the ground/ in grounded state.

EDIT: Just tested it, what matters is that LUMA in on the ground level. So you don't even have to land woth the up b method. You just have to spam A at the top of the up b.
woah! that's pretty neat! i love little subtleties like that. i have been 100% positive for forever that it was always determined by whether rosa was in the air or not and that luma had no say but i just tested it and you're right! very cool!

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
woah! that's pretty neat! i love little subtleties like that. i have been 100% positive for forever that it was always determined by whether rosa was in the air or not and that luma had no say but i just tested it and you're right! very cool!
It's actually very odd because yesterday, when I was testing another tech, I had luma in the air above me and rosa on the ground and when I mashed A, rosa did jabs and luma did Nair. When I was teching a fall on the ground and luma was in the air, I i had luma do a Dair and nearly kill the opponent while I tech rolled away. I haven't figured out the rules to this yet though. This could be very useful in Rosalina and luma's comboing/stage control capabilities.
EDIT: Sometimes when you short hop, Luma will jump after you but he takes longer to get down. He is more likely to jump if you quickly short hop twice in a row I'll have to test if this works like I think it does.

Last edited:

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
It's actually very odd because yesterday, when I was testing another tech, I had luma in the air above me and rosa on the ground and when I mashed A, rosa did jabs and luma did Nair. When I was teching a fall on the ground and luma was in the air, I i had luma do a Dair and nearly kill the opponent while I tech rolled away. I haven't figured out the rules to this yet though. This could be very useful in Rosalina and luma's comboing/stage control capabilities.
EDIT: Sometimes when you short hop, Luma will jump after you but he takes longer to get down. He is more likely to jump if you quickly short hop twice in a row I'll have to test if this works like I think it does.
In the first scenario, I think what happened is that you LL'ed a nair, but since you continued mashing, Rosalina began her jabs.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
In the first scenario, I think what happened is that you LL'ed a nair, but since you continued mashing, Rosalina began her jabs.
Nope. Since that time I have done some work, testing exactly how this works. Apparently, how it works is that, if Rosalina is unable to attack (stunned, grounded, grabbed, teching, etc), and luma is on the ground, luma's attacks will be based on where luma is, not on rosalina. I've finally tested it out and it works very interestingly.

EDIT:I've actually found 2 new tech since then, both maybe useful in the future of Rosalina an Luma. Ill make a new post later about them. They are actually really cool and have uses that are especially useful for this tech. I need to do some final work on the finishing touches but... I look forward to it. I call them LAP, the one I discussed here with Lumas attacks being different based on luma's location, and the other one... doesn't have a name. But it will be in the same thread.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I just found out something odd about the jab spin. I was playing around with it and, apparently, you can also have Rosalina do the infinite jab and be able to end it WITHOUT ending luma's spin. It seems like the time you have to let go of the A button for Rosa but continue the infinite jab is shorter than it is for luma. More testing is needed but... can we just set up the jab spin from infinite. That'd be so easy.

EDIT: ok its weird. It only works while doing the desync jab spin in the first place. So if you do normal infinite jab and try it, theyll end at the same time. need more testing. Im confused lol

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
its definitely a confusing mechanic. i found recently you can do the regular jab 1 2 3, 1 2 spin whilst hitting the grab button with Rosalina and she can dash grab while jabbing with luma. so thats kind of a new tech but its also kinda old. its only out of the regular helpless states you can initiate the spin in.
a very very strange oddity is initiating this on sloped platforms will cause luma to ALWAYS start with jab 3 then goes to jab 1,2. im not sure if its specific to using the grab button but its quite weird. and inconsistent.

Top Bottom