• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The PokéLab: Pikachu Research Thread (QA frame data added: 1/26/11)

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The cgs in Melee weren't that hard to read and react to. Would you say Snake has a guaranteed cg with dthrow?

The Truth!

Smash Ace
The player has maaaaany more options with snake dthrow. Get up attack alone ruins it because it forces the player to chose between shielding/spot dodging and not shielding/spot dodging, requiring lots of extra frames to cover that option.

In addition to rolling left, right, just getting up, or even staying on the ground. However, I have seen snakes destroy people with dthrow on platforms, because one or more of those options is limited.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I think Marth can just sdi far enough so Pika can't reach with a single QA and a double QA won't hit Marth. So yeah, even if you could read/predict him, it's not gonna work.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
You mean after theyre hit with the QA the first time? Just always end up next to them. I think most people already knew it wasnt a zero death since they can just go to the edge unless they hit jab lock percent.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I mean anytime they're hit with QA during the QAL. I wonder how QAL works in stages with slants, like YI. (hmm)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It doesn't...YI sucks with QAL. If you are hitting them down the slope they get up, and since Pika's QA is weird on that level anyway...it just makes it bad.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Nah it works on other stages too. I tested it awhile ago, but its not very practical anywhere else, or even really there.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
What makes it not practical? And get replays of you doing it on other stages, cause I don't believe it.

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
It looks just like a platform cancel but with Fair we just have to find the right timing to do this :/

Edit : WTF ? I managed to Uair out of Fair by practicing on frigate . I just dropped out of the ledge then jump -> fair and continually DIing forward then Uair

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFRf62tur9k

Now I'm sure , it's just a "fair cancel" ( but cancel like a platform cancel) and you can do whatever you want out of that !

The Truth!

Smash Ace
I already posted a write up about it, I dont really care if people believe me or not, lol. You can read the post if you want to know about it cause Im not writing it again. Ill give a summary though, it requires a ledge with a lip and a wall directly below that you can wall jump on. Variations of those make it easier or harder. If Im not lazy sometime Ill look for the post, it might be in the PBR.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It looks just like a platform cancel but with Fair we just have to find the right timing to do this :/

Edit : WTF ? I managed to Uair out of Fair by practicing on frigate . I just dropped out of the ledge then jump -> fair and continually DIing forward then Uair

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFRf62tur9k

Now I'm sure , it's just a "fair cancel" ( but cancel like a platform cancel) and you can do whatever you want out of that !
I couldn't really see the fair coming out. What texture is that, btw?
I already posted a write up about it, I dont really care if people believe me or not, lol. You can read the post if you want to know about it cause Im not writing it again. Ill give a summary though, it requires a ledge with a lip and a wall directly below that you can wall jump on. Variations of those make it easier or harder. If Im not lazy sometime Ill look for the post, it might be in the PBR.
Like what stages? FD and PS1?

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
prime. i know its not really anything new, but i was going to make an updated vid on pikasliding and tactics and uses of it tonight. was wondering where you would want me to put it once i finish since idk if it deserves its own thread, i just feel that its easily one of pikas most useful and practical AT's that we have discovered

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Hmm, the video thread is probably the best place right now. I really should update that soon. I think someone should make a thread for all of Pika's useful ATs such as pika sliding and the scaring. You wanna do that FZ?

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Hmm, the video thread is probably the best place right now. I really should update that soon. I think someone should make a thread for all of Pika's useful ATs such as pika sliding and the scaring. You wanna do that FZ?
yeah id love to!

im gonna be doing it like by recording the TV tho sadly, but i can do that def. Im doing it this way cuz i wana insert my input verbaly, i thik itd help alot

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You can get someone like me or Nombre to record them then we'll send the vids to you so you can add in the commentary.

Roller

Smash Legend
^^^^^^^^^^^

Do this, FZ. Your pikasliding vid was informative and everything, but the vid quality was awful. You can still record your voice while doing it, then just synch the 2 (audio/video) files after.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Here's something minor and random I found. Ground jolts do 5% instead of 6% when hitting someone who is hanging on the ledge.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Nope, just ground jolts. Air jolts still do 9%.

Edit: As long as they're in the air when they get hit, ground jolts will do 5%.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh, if you only knew some of the dumb stuff programmed (or not programmed, in some cases) into Brawl.....

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
I don't exactly know HOW to do studies or anything... But I'm just storming up an idea, for Pikachu, using electric attacks on the Castle Siege statues in the second room will slow down the attack, making the dsmash hitbox stay there longer, (if this makes sense?) A way to abuse the statues? Or just not worth it?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, you can extend hitboxes on the statues.

It helps sometimes. *shrug* Nothing game-changing, tho.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It helps more with thunder than D-smash. D-smash has like...no range so people with slight disjoints can just charge and hit us. Thunder...destroys everything :D

The Truth!

Smash Ace
If someone gets the chance, could they get some frame data on ledge cancel stuffs? Mostly information starting from the beginning of startup and giving:

-for ledge snap on what frame pika becomes invincible (frame range if necessary)
-for regular ledge cancel/perfect ledge cancel the frame that youre allowed to start doing anything like jumping, moving, aerial, etc.
-and if its different from the above to, the frame where the QA is actually interrupted/cancelled either during the attack or cool down.

If that last one doesnt make sense just ignore it, lol. I want to add it to the thread I made.

Also maybe add my ledge thread and FZ's pikaslide thread to the beginning? I dunno if theres other threads that should be there too. Thanks!

The Truth!

Smash Ace
You mean the knockback growth?

If so I think the only way to really use it is to compare it to other moves. Itd be cool if we could compare it to other characters moves too. I think low knockback/low growth and high knockback/high growth are probably the best moves from a knockback standpoint. Low knockback/high growth probably is pretty good too.

I was surprised how much initial knockback T1 has, no wonder it can kill so early.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Low base KB + high KB growth is ideal imo. Having a mix of them all is the best tho..... otherwise you end up with bull**** characters like Zelda who can't follow up on anything or set up kills for ****.

There's also a third type of KB that has to do with weight, but we can ignore that for now.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Moves that have set knockback would be...a few people's jabs (like jab 1-2 if they have 3). There aren't that many in this game...

Top Bottom