• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Philosophy of Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookworm

Smash Rookie
Not telling, you'll have to spot them yourself.
As the title suggests, this thread is to intended to harbour intellectual discussion on the nature and ethics of sport.

To keep a degree of structure to the thread, we will address one topic at a time. The first topic I would like to open up for discussion is the ethics surrounding "the professional foul".
I will use soccer as an example. For those of you who don't know, a professional foul is when a player commits a foul to prevent the opposing team from obtaining some form of advantage. In soccer, the most serious forms are preventing either a definite goal (usually hadballing a shot bound to go in) or a clear goal-scoring opportunity (fouling a player one on one with the keeper). Currently, both of those offenses are punished with a straigh red card (sending off) and a minimum of a a one match ban.

A couple of questions here
1. Should players commit such fouls, for the sake of their team?
2. If the foul is not malicious, should the player be issued a red card for a professional foul? If not, what action should be taken?
3. If the player unintentionally commits the professional foul (the ball accidently hits their arm, stopping a definite goal) should a red card still be issued?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Where did you get your information on soccer penalties? Have you ever even watched a soccer game?

A handball outside of the box is an direct free kick. If it is inside, it's a penalty kick.

Fouling a player on a 1v1 with the intention of really taking the player out ends up being a penalty kick in most cases, too, especially in the box.

Neither of these are "straight red cards" or result in a match ban.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
He didn't say fouls outside the box are penalties....

A player can receive a straight red card for handballing a shot on the goal-line, illegally preventing it from going in. At least two players I know of got sent off at the World Cup for doing this.

A defender can also receive a straight red if he fouls a player that is bound to score, either he has an open goal, or he is one-on-one with the keeper. In fact, nowadays even keepers often get sent off if they trip a striker who gets past them and is bound to score.

If any of the offences above are commtited in the box, yes it's a penalty, but the offender also receives a red card. This is one of the issues in contention, whether it's fair on the offending team to concede both a penalty and a red card.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Guys, don't derail this topic in record time.

@OP

Cheating is wrong, no matter what. If you have to cheat to win a soccer game, it's your fault your team's so bad.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
He didn't say fouls outside the box are penalties....

A player can receive a straight red card for handballing a shot on the goal-line, illegally preventing it from going in. At least two players I know of got sent off at the World Cup for doing this.

A defender can also receive a straight red if he fouls a player that is bound to score, either he has an open goal, or he is one-on-one with the keeper. In fact, nowadays even keepers often get sent off if they trip a striker who gets past them and is bound to score.

If any of the offences above are commtited in the box, yes it's a penalty, but the offender also receives a red card. This is one of the issues in contention, whether it's fair on the offending team to concede both a penalty and a red card.
Well he didn't say they weren't either. Didn't really clarify, actually.

And I wouldn't use the World Cup as a good source of these kinds of situations considering the overall reffing quality in the first place.

I'll research and think about this a bit more and maybe come back to continue this debate in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom