• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Thing SSB4 Needs To Appeal to All Players And Hopes For the 3DS Version

S8AN

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I used to post in/read through these forums fairly regularly way back in the day. unfortunately life happened and I fell out of the loop. It seems now I return to a community divided by the different stylings that Melee and Brawl each offered. There's no point in listing the pros and cons of each as they have been discussed to death.

With that being said there is one solution to the problem I am surprised I haven't seen stated: OPTIONS...ALL OF THEM...EVER!!! If the devs give players the tools to create the experience they want, then this could easily outsell both previous games combined, and I'm pretty sure that is the bottom line for all companies involved...the money.

I'm talking about going far beyond item, stock, and timer options... we need a sandbox. Game speed, gravity, damage, and knockback just to name a few, and have them done in a percentage based format akin to recent Halo games. This would allow the competitive community to craft a true masterpiece, while at the same time retaining the pick up and play insanity that casual smashers love and expect.

Let me know your thoughts!!!

Also here is to hoping the 3DS version is as close to a pure port as possible to the console version!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Yes! If we could save our favorite settings, then smashboards could debate over the optimal measurements.
I'm pretty sure there was already a knockback adjuster in the brawl and melee options menu, but the gravity was limited to normal, heavy or light. Would be nice if it was more precise.

I mean, personally, I'd still use the default physics. Would be cool if you could apply these settings to custom stages.

Please Sakurai let the 3DS version be a pure port!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes! If we could save our favorite settings, then smashboards could debate over the optimal measurements.
I'm pretty sure there was already a knockback adjuster in the brawl and melee options menu, but the gravity was limited to normal, heavy or light. Would be nice if it was more precise.

I mean, personally, I'd still use the default physics. Would be cool if you could apply these settings to custom stages.

Please Sakurai let the 3DS version be a pure port!
It would be a severely watered down port I imagine if they try to make it the same

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why not? It would be great to experiment in the sandbox and fine tune the physics. The best would be to allow players to save a particular setting.

:phone:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a feeling that it would end up lackluster. Besides, I'd rather the programming time go into something else.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
What would you rather they work on? Adding sliders to adjust the physics wouldn't be difficult, unless those variables are decided by the stage itself. I mean I'd rather they not spend time programming items because I never use them, but it wouldn't be smash bros without 'em. Lets just pretend that they got a whole team of people who could add this feature in a week. Then would you think it was a cool idea?

El Duderino

Smash Ace
A couple sliders allowing the "competitive community to craft a true masterpiece"?
:joyful:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, if you're expecting similar results to what PlayStation All-Stars did with the PS3/Vita differences, you're going be severely disappointed. Sakurai has made it clear that the Wii U version is (mostly) what we expect from the series while he has ideas for the 3DS to go for an "individual" and "personalized" experience. Plus the memory size difference between the two systems (Wii U has a 25 GB limit while 3DS has a 8GB limit) makes the chances of the two being ports extremely unlikely.

But to be honest, I have a lot of good ideas on what to expect for the Wii U game but I have absolutely zero clue what and how the 3DS game is going to be for some reason when it comes to expectations besides what Sakurai has said about the 3DS game (but definitely very different somehow).

volbound1700

Smash Master
3DS is the mystery title. I think their will be a more robust single player on 3DS while Wii U resembles more of the Smash we know and love. I am just worried that the dual development time will make both games less than perfect.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Why are people focusing on the last line about making the 3DS a pure port. This thread is about the physics sliders or whatever.

S8AN

Smash Rookie
A couple sliders allowing the "competitive community to craft a true masterpiece"?
:joyful:
You act like it couldn't be done. This feature is what allowed Halo (post Halo 2) to stay relevent in the competitive gaming scene, while also allowing the community to create amazing experiences outside of the core game (Grifball comes to mind).

Also, with Namco-Bandai working on the game, I think more options are a good possibility. They may not be as sandboxy as my ideas, but maybe it'll be something close.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
They should either emulate melee physics or take things in a new direction entirely. Get that brawl nonsense outta here.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
You act like it couldn't be done.
Not through simply a list of global tweakable values. To get anywhere close to the degree of customization required, SSB4 would have to come with a war chest of modding tools. Fat chance that is happening.

Top Bottom