• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Guide to Long Island Smash 4

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
THE OFFICIAL GUIDE TO LONG ISLAND SMASH 4

By SeanS

1. Introduction and Basic History
  2. Don't Expect To Win
  3. Please Use Facebook
  4. Active Events. 4a. Main events (event). 4b. Other events
  5. Travelling
  6. Upcoming Non-Weeklies
  7. Last Words

***1. Introduction and Basic History***

On an island far off the Smash community's consciousness in 2014, in the town of Huntington, people crammed themselves into the rear corner of the local Play N Trade. I was very angry at them for not bringing their setups at the time, leaving the tournament with a grand total of one setup. I had no idea that it would not only be one of LI's most remembered tournaments, but a symbol of our community's perseverance: every player watched every match until the very end. I still get told by many that this was one of their favorite events.

I'm still running tournaments, but it's quite different now. There are so many new players who have the privilege of thinking this kind of tournament unconscionable. I now work with a colossally sized venue with tens of perfect setups, 2 separate streams, commentary rooms, and a conservative estimate of 60+ attendees per week.

And yet, LI is still the maverick unknown in the broader community. We have a strange history of poorly advertising what content we have to the broader Smash community, owing to a historical lack of streams, negotiable venues, and real marketing. Even now, our event offerings are far and few between, as well as vastly different in quality; and we are still forgotten as a mere aspect of the distant, loosely related "tristate region".

I see many Smashboards posts asking where the LI community is, and I've been motivated by every last one of them, as well as LI's past, to rectify a community weakness.

I want to bring any Long Islander or traveller on these boards in full contact with a region that has a rich history and surprisingly thriving community. I want you, alongside the existing community, to grow and get better in every way. Please use this thread to the fullest extent possible.

***2. Don't Expect to Win***

I need to make a brief and absolutely necessary statement to all interested players: don't expect to win.

Unless you are a professional player, coming to my weekly, at the very least, can provide you with a lot of challenge. It's important that you enter brackets with the mentality of having fun and / or improving.

In terms of internationally respected talent, you can find the likes of Dabuz, Vinnie, Mr. E, and DKWill at our tournaments. And we have many players who you probably can't name, but would probably put you on edge anyway with their years of experience or raw talent. When our players do travel, they get many "upsets".

I don't want to proclaim that we're in and of ourselves a top region for play. That'd be disingenuous, especially with our low event count.

And neither do I want to suggest that the region is purely competitive. We have TONS of casual players who love pure fun - I've even run "jank brackets" with items and a few uncompetitive stages.

But I would argue, based on observing the success of people who travel to this region, that we're not exactly weak. We have all the fun and strength that comes with a group of people who have been meeting up to play one game for years.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment, but, rather, come here with a genuine love of the game. You'll be right at home with the rest of us every week.

***3. Please Use Facebook***

I can't overemphasize how important it is to use Facebook to connect with the LI community. Most of us are there every day, posting statuses and participating in group chats. And it's where you'll find and preregister for events as well.

Join the Long Island Smash For 3DS and Wii U group as soon as you can at the following link (or search for it). It is an invaluable resource that gives you up to date information and is a springboard to interacting with the community and friends you'll make.

www.facebook.com/groups/695936537142079

***4. Active Events***

>>4a. Main Events (event)<<

Currently, to be very honest, I run the most significant event in the community: the AON weekly, which occurs every Friday night.

I really wish I didn't have to make this thread look like a veiled advertisement, but I must. AON is quite simply, since the departure of XFiRE tournaments, the main event of the community. Nowhere else will you find a large, genuine congregation of the LI community at the moment, complete with a spacey, well-equipped venue.

The location is 21 Brandywine Drive in Deer Park, NY. Venue doors open at 4, doubles bracket begins at 5:30, and singles bracket begins at 7:30. Preregistration is by Facebook event page and gives you discounts on venue fee.

Streams are at www.twitch.tv/aonstreams and www.twitch.tv/gengame . Watch us!

If this is your first tournament, please make an effort to come here first. It's honestly where the main scene is.

AON as a venue also offers many casual games, a watchable stream projector, and food per every Smash event; it also hosts events for other games on different days. You can check out the store page and get links to events at www.facebook.com/aongaming/ .

>>4b. Other Events<<

I segregate these events because, again, they are not of the same quality as AON and don't attract the broader community yet. They feature low (laggy) setup count, are typically in small tabletop and comic stores, are not professionally run, and so on. I list them here to encourage community growth and broader scene development in spite of these facts.

Sunday tournaments are run by store personnel at the Store of Fire and Dice in Lynbrook. They are adding doubles and typically operate in afternoons, alongside card gamers. You can find the events on the store's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/astoreoffireanddice/ and I recommend calling them for preregistration.

Also occurring on Sundays and new to the scene are the Geekd Up store tournaments in Massapequa. They have a list of tournament champions and play game music on a laptop! I recommend calling them for preregistration as well. Find them at www.facebook.com/GUBARinc/ .

***5. Travelling***

Though we have AON and its regionals, there is much more to explore as a Long Islander if you are willing to travel. I will list two that I know Long Islanders have a stated interest in and actually do attend with some frequency.

(Carpooling is very possible if you ask for one on the Long Island Smash for 3DS and Wii U page on Facebook or know people on there!)

One is the Xeno tournament series in Manhattan. AON and Xeno co-sponsor each other, and you can expect good competition here as well. They host events on Wednesday nights, as well as some Saturdays. Learn more about them at www.facebook.com/houseof3000 .

The second is the newly started Smash Academia Saturday bi-weeklies in Queens. The tournament is professionally run by Cozmos, who has a history of running LI tournaments and is a person and TO I can strongly vouch for. Learn more about these tournaments at www.facebook.com/game5smash/ .

***6. Upcoming Non-Weeklies***

Currently, there are 2 upcoming, infrequent events that you may want to watch for.

Obviously, the first is AON regionals. Our last one, Alpha, was a 100+ man tournament with a thousand dollar pot bonus, attracting and upsetting many out of region players. This was a blast - I'm looking forward to running more!

But also worth looking at are future tournaments at the Cradle of Aviation. A group called Mid Tier Summit hosted a tournament there recently and suggested there may be more. Monthlies may be possible, and really, the venue is inherently amazing. Stay tuned for more info!

***7. Last Words***

I hope this topic has been thorough and informative to you. I intend to respond to posts when I remember that Facebook isn't the only Smash 4 website and will update this thread when it is relevant to do so.

Feel free to ask questions, suggest main post improvements, link this to other Smashboarders, or just talk LI Smash 4 here!

Last edited:

DillyDiamond

Smash Rookie
First!

Also, thanks for all of this. I’ve been craving info on Smash weeklys around my area, and I’ve finally found one. You can probably expect me to be at a tourney or 2!

Ps: how do I sign up? I don’t have Facebook, can I sign up through Discord? If so, I greatly appreciate it!

Ps2: Actually, now, in April 2018, I’ve found another weekly in my area run at a local college. So never mind

Last edited:

K_PROJECT

Smash Rookie
First!

Also, thanks for all of this. I’ve been craving info on Smash weeklys around my area, and I’ve finally found one. You can probably expect me to be at a tourney or 2!

Ps: how do I sign up? I don’t have Facebook, can I sign up through Discord? If so, I greatly appreciate it!

Ps2: Actually, now, in April 2018, I’ve found another weekly in my area run at a local college. So never mind
Where is this

Top Bottom