• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next installment should be a launch title.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I know it's stupid to talk about the sequel of a game which isn't even out yet, but the argument is related to Sm4sh in some way.

I'm just saying, Super Smash Bros. 5 (or shall we call it 6?) should be a launch title of the console which will succeed the WiiU/3DS. I was just thinking how different the Nintendo situation (especially the Wii U one) would be right now if we had Sm4sh in our hands. The WiiU is struggling and doing bad and certainly just one game wouldn't change much, but we're talking Smash Bros. here.

It actually perplexes me that Nintendo didn't prepare the successor of Brawl to be released earlier, seen how big of a system seller it is. Melee is a better example actually, it was able to sell... how much? Like 7 million copies, on a console which had an installment of like 22. That means that out of 3 Gamecube owners, at least 1 had Melee. That's the definition of a system seller to me.

Just some random morning thoughts.

D

Deleted member

That depends on if the game would be rushed or not.

Frankly, I'd rather see Smash 5 done right (just like how I see Smash 4 being done right thanks to Sakurai) and released when it's ready rather than rushed with a subpar product. Not that I'm going to be around, but I'd rather not Smash 4 be the last great Smash game if we're getting another installment afterwards.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I never said it should be rushed. Simply, start the development early to make it a launch game.
Like Sm4sh should have started development like, in late 2010. Sakurai was working on Kid Icarus but that doesn't mean that Smash can't be at least initialized.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, since I'll probably be around till Smash 5, this kinda relevant for me.

Though I honestly don't care much if the next title is a launch game or not, because I tend to buy a console 1-2 years after its release, to see the general opinion of the console and the games released so that I wouldn't have to regret buying it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Smash 5 already? That's a long time from now.....

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, Nintendo seriously messed up the Wii U launch... I was super excited to get a Wii when it first came out, but right now I literally don't know anybody who has a Wii U. I went through a list of all the Wii U games and their ratings yesterday and was thoroughly discouraged... they need to at least act like they're putting out reasons to purchase a new system.

Who here already has a Wii U?

Who here is planning to buy a Wii U almost entirely to play Smash?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I have a Wii U. That's basically why I opened this topic.
If Sm4sh was a launch title, or getting released this winter, things would be different imho.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I disagree. I'd rather have it out later in the console's life, during the period when the programmers and artists are at their peak in dealing with the system

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
From a money standpoint, I can understand if they did. Smash is practically a console seller to many people. However, I would rather they release it a little after it comes out for them to solve potential problems within the game and the console itself.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I disagree. I'd rather have it out later in the console's life, during the period when the programmers and artists are at their peak in dealing with the system
Yes, exactly. While Melee turned out great I think we will all be better off in the long run with Sakurai's team more familiar with the hardware. Launch games generally aren't made on finalized hardware and things get cut to make that big deadline. Of course things will get cut regardless but I think Smash is in a good position with Namco having some experience with the Wii U hardware.

Also I have a Wii U. Love my Nintendo Land, MariU, Tekken, Lego, Monster Hunter, CoD, Miiverse and Batman. Still doesn't mean I don't wish for a lot more. I don't doubt Nintendo's ability to turn things around like the 3DS, DS and GBA before it. The games are coming, we have seen many and know of more, its just a matter of time.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I agree totally with OP. Having Melee as a launch title sold the Gamecube. It would have been in worse shape otherwise. At the very least, Smash should come out within the first year of a new console.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Let's be honest: If Nintendo released SSB4 as a launch title but then went back and made the more impressive remastered and improved SSB4: Ultra, we would buy both.

Or, hey, they could just release two SSB games per generation: One at the beginning of the generation, and one after they've figured out the kinks and tricks of the new system.

x kharmah x

Smash Cadet
That depends on if the game would be rushed or not.

Frankly, I'd rather see Smash 5 done right (just like how I see Smash 4 being done right thanks to Sakurai) and released when it's ready rather than rushed with a subpar product. Not that I'm going to be around, but I'd rather not Smash 4 be the last great Smash game if we're getting another installment afterwards.
i agree they should take their time if they are going with the wii u they should try thier best to make gameplay as smooth as possible

210stuna

Smash Lord
Let's be honest: If Nintendo released SSB4 as a launch title but then went back and made the more impressive remastered and improved SSB4: Ultra, we would buy both.

Or, hey, they could just release two SSB games per generation: One at the beginning of the generation, and one after they've figured out the kinks and tricks of the new system.
A patch couldn't do justice for the kinks eh?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Or they could try like...ermm i dunno...might sound weired...but like...uhhh...actually..like..maybe...start develolment on the game before you announce it so we aint gotta wait a whole year for news/info and leave you fans dying for info...(-_-)? sound to crazy....

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
A patch couldn't do justice for the kinks eh?

It's actually just kind of hard to say- I have no experience with how Nintendo patches things. Regardless, sometimes programmers realize they did something that could've been done better but it's too late/big to just patch it up.

I think they announced SSB4 early in development because they realized there were so few things selling the Wii U so people needed something to look forward to... meh. I still have not once considered buying a Wii U... maybe when it's closer to Smash time.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yh but its cheaper now then its even been...well here in the UK it is...im saying this because i gotta feeling either after E3 or when the nextbox/PS4 hit the price is gonna go up...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Launch games can never take full advantage of a systems potential.
Not that smash bros needs it as the games stay up among the best of each systems lifecycle.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Then there is the question as to whether there will even be another Nintendo home console. Frankly the wii u is doing horrible enough that Nintendo may consider at least broadening their horizons. Not saying that Nintendo will go completely under, that's not something that could ever happen. I could see them doing something similar to what sega did though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, Nintendo seriously messed up the Wii U launch... I was super excited to get a Wii when it first came out, but right now I literally don't know anybody who has a Wii U. I went through a list of all the Wii U games and their ratings yesterday and was thoroughly discouraged... they need to at least act like they're putting out reasons to purchase a new system.

Who here already has a Wii U?

Who here is planning to buy a Wii U almost entirely to play Smash?
Planning to get Smash for the Wii U. I got one just for the superior Ninja Gaiden 3 (until they made it multiplatform. -_-), a multiplayer game to get the family together (Nintendo Land), and a Mario game for my Dad to enjoy since I am tired of New Super Mario Bros games since Wii. The games I really wanted like Rayman and Pikmin got rescheduled sadly.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Then there is the question as to whether there will even be another Nintendo home console. Frankly the wii u is doing horrible enough that Nintendo may consider at least broadening their horizons. Not saying that Nintendo will go completely under, that's not something that could ever happen. I could see them doing something similar to what sega did though.
Nooo way...i seriously hope not...they cant release another home console..like WiiU2 or something...that would be beyond gay....

They just need to market it better and Ninty even admitted keeping the name ''Wii'' is a reason for its por sales...they should have just named it ''Revolution...''

Also its because of the gamepad why its so expensive & Why most 3rd partys dont trust or cant be adked to make games for it..

Trust me once

Wind Waker HD
*New* Zelda
3D Mario
Metroid
Mario Kart
Sm4sh
Pikmin 3

Come out the WiiU will be fine.

And thats still excluding the chance that there might be a
Starfox
F-Zero
DK

Game on it aswell that would be even better.

Like i said before im not worried/scared of the WiiU's fate im just worried about the price rising for the console once those games start flying out...better get one know while its reasonably cheap...i dont see it getting anymore cheaper well here in the UK where i am that is.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Wii U's price CAN'T rise up. It never happened before in any circumstances. It's beyond illogical.
The price can only lower. And it will, very fast, this Christmas.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Posting this from wiiu gamepad. If nothing else its the best web browsing tool around.

Any questions about wii u's tech and current software anyone want answered?

210stuna

Smash Lord
Posting this from wiiu gamepad. If nothing else its the best web browsing tool around.

Any questions about wii u's tech and current software anyone want answered?
Nintendo came out with an update that sped up the waiting time to pull up the main menu from something currently in use, right?

Well what else do you feel needs to be "updated" in that sense?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
It used to taked up to a minute to load the wii u menu and the miiverse forum or the internet app. Just tested it and I was able to get to the wii u menu and back on smashboards in 6 seconds. Miiverse takes 15 to 30 seconds to load. Also pressing the home button gives you access to your friends list which is its own app that takes 10 seconds to load. Although you can play a game while using apps like miiverse internet or friends list, info like the friends list which shows what your friends are playing should be quicker and include invite to game options as opposed to using the miiverse for this. The invite to game feature hasn't been added to miiverse yet.

TLDR; friends list app needs to load faster and include more features like messaging or vid calling. (Although text messaging can be done in miiverse and vid call is its own app that cant be run while playing a game.)

Right now online features suck because you cant easily set up a game with friends or know when they are on.
Heres a link to future plans for miiverse interactivity that developers will be able to take advantage of in their games and hopefully smash bros too.http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=531057

210stuna

Smash Lord
TLDR; friends list app needs to load faster and include more features like messaging or vid calling. (Although text messaging can be done in miiverse and vid call is its own app that cant be run while playing a game.)
Nice.

Off Topic: Is that Jesus in your default picture?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nooo way...i seriously hope not...they cant release another home console..like WiiU2 or something...that would be beyond gay....

They just need to market it better and Ninty even admitted keeping the name ''Wii'' is a reason for its por sales...they should have just named it ''Revolution...''

Also its because of the gamepad why its so expensive & Why most 3rd partys dont trust or cant be adked to make games for it..

Trust me once

Wind Waker HD
*New* Zelda
3D Mario
Metroid
Mario Kart
Sm4sh
Pikmin 3

Come out the WiiU will be fine.

And thats still excluding the chance that there might be a
Starfox
F-Zero
DK
Mysterious Murasame Castle

Game on it aswell that would be even better.

Like i said before im not worried/scared of the WiiU's fate im just worried about the price rising for the console once those games start flying out...better get one know while its reasonably cheap...i dont see it getting anymore cheaper well here in the UK where i am that is.
Fixed. I agree with everything that you've said so far, Phazon. These games alone should be able to help the Wii U sales and Nintendo will not suffer the same fate Sega did in the past. Besides, we all know Sony's the one who's really in trouble considering the Vita situation and the not so positive reception of the PS4's social friendly approach.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Wii U's price CAN'T rise up. It never happened before in any circumstances. It's beyond illogical.
The price can only lower. And it will, very fast, this Christmas.
Sorry but im talking from my standpoint the UK stand point..were the WiiU's Price is decided by the retailers...i normally buy my stuff from Amazon be because there cheapest majority of the time and are reliable & have good shipping.

But there Prices for WiiU is always jumping about..right now the 8GB is £150 & 32GB is £289...

There prices last month were

32GB £250
8GB £200

The 32GB one jumps about in price the most..i expect that because it sells alot more than the 8GB.

Top Bottom