• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ness Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXXotekk

Smash Cadet
Hey Folks,

Im not gonna lie Ness is not the most easy character to use and seems outmatched by everyone in a higher Tier. Here are the most important things about Ness to win a match.

1. Timing - keep plenty of space between you and your opponent and make sure to time time your attacks correctly.

2.Defense - Always stay on the defense because Ness can lose his guard when going straight on towards an opponent. Ness is always more effective on the defensive side.

3. stay grounded - Ness in the air is like a inflatable beach ball try to stay on the ground and avoid aerial attacks as much as possible.

4. Recovery - Ness's Recovery takes some time to perfect, If you have been knocked out of the arena and your not going to make it back make sure to use the PK thunder to hit yourself to get back in the arena. This may take some practice.

5. Offense - when going on the offense to smash your opponent. Use your most effective attacks like a Pk fire followed by a bat smash. Also take advantage of Ness's forward A button attacks these are also quite effective.

I hope this helped for Ness beginners

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I think it's nice that you made this...but we have guides for this already that are stickied at the top of our forum.

Thanks a lot though for putting thought and effort into this, it does mean a lot.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Ness users should spam psi magnet and camp the ledge...

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Do I have to be the one to point out all these flaws? Oh well, we're all noobs at one point.

1) Good advice actually, spacing and timing moves will help you land and be safe when using your moves.

2) Anyone is Brawl is better off being defensive, but as long as you can read your opponent well a good offense can sometimes work. It's impossible to be 100% defense in a game, punish and go on offense when you have the chance.

3) Ness' ground game is awful. His smashes are a bit on the slow side and don't pack much power or range. His tilts are quick but lack range as well. Only good thing about Ness on the ground is his dash attack and dash grab + throws. Where Ness truly thrives is the air. Fair is a very long ranged attack that's works nicely defensively at interrupting opponents. Nair is a quick, strong move that knock opponents away. Bair and uair are very strong KO/damage dealers. And dair is an excellent spike that has a very long duration. I highly suggest learning to use Ness' aerials.

4) All Ness mains should know how to recover with pkt. The thing is you do not want to be in the situation where you need to use pkt to get back since it's easily interrupted by an edgeguarding opponent. Try as hard as you can you make it back with only your double jump, avoid edgeguarding opponents as much as you can. Fair makes an excellent defensive comeback move. Only use pkt if you absolutely have to.

5) Pkf is more of a defensive into offense move. It's safer at a distance and more risky the closer you are to your opponent, but your options become stronger the closer you are. Most opponents who can SDI out of it will not be getting hit by a bat, especially a grounded pkf. I do not know what you mean by forward A attacks, do you mean his fsmash, ftilt, and dash attack? Fsmash should NEVER be used offensively, neither should ftilt. Dash attack is the only decent offensive move out of the three, it will catch rollers trying to roll backwards or other forms of retreating.

I hope this helps you. If you have any questions you can go to the Ness Q&A thread and if you want to talk amongst other Ness mains you may go to our "HYPER NESS" General Discussion thread.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Man, Dajay is legit. He's nice. *hugs him* He's right.

Ask us whenever you need help.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I have to disagree with staying out of the air since Ness' aerial game is good. That being said, welcome to the boards.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Why is my post hurtful? It's good advice for me.... It takes too much skill to fully implement, but ness can branch off to the ledges and be fine if you can read your opponents options by the action they are currently doing... Only problem is some may consider it stalling, to which point I would dj a pkfire and or a fair from the ledge, ledgejump to nair, ledge attack or get up to a good spot and pkt...

The ness ledge game is severely underrated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom