• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most optimal controller set up for DJC aerial attacks?

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
According to this article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120207100004.htm
The thumb is the quickest for pressing buttons. However, as a piano player, I think the 2nd fastest finger would be the pointer finger.

I've been practicing DJC with Lucas with two different controller set ups on the CCP and both seem to work very well.
What I've been doing is pressing Y twice with my thumb and use the shaft of my thumb to press A; it works, but in my opinion it is not fast enough to produce the DJC I wanted.

I play CCP with tap jump turned off. One of the ways I can do DJC Fairs is by setting my entire right hand on top of the X Y A B buttons and use the pointer finger to press Y quickly and use my middle finger to press A. This provides instant DJC that are extremely fast. The downside to using this method is using specials will be hard to get used to and you will lose functions of using R and Zr (R and Z on gamecube controller).

Another way to do this is by setting R to jump. Using your right pointer finger, you can also quickly double jump and then use your thumb like you usually do. You get to keep the same function of your thumb but you lose the function of the R button if you use that for shielding, wavedashing, etc, although all of that can be done with L as well.

What do you guys think is the most optimal controller setup that will make DJC easy and fast for Lucas?

Dron

Smash Apprentice
edit: this is for GC controller obviously, I'm not really familiar with CCP or if the same thing would apply

honestly just using tap jump + Y + C-stick is probably the best way, and also the least complicated - you don't have to worry about any custom controls or different hand positions, and you can get pretty much perfect DJC uairs/fairs without having to worry about mashing X/Y

also, since you're using the C-stick, you can easily control your momentum and do things like retreating DJC fairs which are very safe

the only time I ever double-tap the jump button is when I DJC PK freeze or DJC bair (since bair's startup makes it unnecessary to go for a super quick DJC)

Dron

Smash Apprentice
you should still be able to up tilt without a problem as long as you tilt the control stick only partially, I've never had any problems with that personally

if that's the only problem, then I definitely think learning to cope with it (whether that be relearning the muscle memory of the inputs or whatever) would be worth the added benefits of easy and effective DJC uairs/fairs

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Opinion incoming

Turning tap jump off for tilts is cheating yourself of becoming a more discerning player. When learning how to short hop, which was a challenge for me, I turned off tap jump to get used to the timings and force myself to use the X/Y buttons for aerials. However it's got a lot of benefits that shouldn't be overlooked, things like Shine OOS, Ike's QD JC Up-Smash, and a lot of OOS shenanigans. If you learn how to UTilt with tap jump on it'll be better for you as a player in the long run.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Well I also use CCP with tap jump off, with a really strange configuration for a lot of people (B for jumps, A for attacks, Y for specials and X for grabs)

I DJC by using double jump at the same time I use the move I want to DJC (pk freeze most of the time, and fairs sometimes)

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Tap jump is really valuable for djc and jc in general because it lets you pseudo-buffer a jump by doing an upwards quarter-circle motion with the stick during which you will jump asap without the need for precise timing.

ita16

Smash Rookie
I usually set Z on the left on the CCP to jump so i press y and then Z for the DJC. works greats for me and really quick. might wanna try that.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
The optimal setup is standard (that is, tap-jump on) + R or L (depending on personal preference) to attack for DACUS. Don't use Z for DACUS because there's a chance that if you whiff you'll do Lucas' dash grab, which I believe is the second slowest dash grab in the game (please correct me if I'm wrong, but either way it's never good to be caught whiffing a move like that).

Also, if you like, if you're confident you'll never use a second jump button (X/Y), then you can set one of those to something extra potentially?

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
I've heard arguments that you should map your unused X/Y to footstool, which seems to make sense.

Top Bottom