• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Most Annoying Thing EVER ~ Crossing-Up Rosalina

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
This...is the bane of my existence.

So for all of you Rosalina players out there, I'm sure you share my frustration of this.

When in the neutral, you're doing every thing right; spacing your jabs, using star bits, forcing shields, etc. But the one thing always messes me up is a cross-up

"A cross-up is the act of timing an attack (typically a dash attack or aerial) such that the user moves past the opponent and ends up behind them once the hitboxes are gone."

Its not only attacks that mess me up, its roll-behinds too.

The biggest issue with Rosalina being crossed up is Luma not being there when I need him, I have to turn around and attack, but he's not fast enough and is usually out of range for a punish. When I'm in the middle of jab spacing, I REALLY get messed up, cause all the opponent has to do is read my defensive option, or just wait to punish my punish.

Is this also a matchup specific thing too?

This is incredibly annoying and I hope that you guys might have an answer as to what I should do.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I posted it in another thread too but i had a rosalina fight that I'll never forget.

I was getting absolutely bodied by a rosa on fg (i was playing villager) . We were both on our last stock. I was at late kill percents (probably over 150) and she was at 50 something . She went for an fsmash while i was rolling behind her and i managed to get a bowling ball and ko her! She must have been very few frames from getting a shield up. We were near the edge but almost any other character would have survived easily, but not the anorexic space princess!

Most characters seem to have some trouble with crossups but they are so much more dangerous for rosa. Maybe part of the way to deal with this is to value center stage more than you do with other characters?

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Is there a certain character or move that's giving you trouble? I've never found cross ups to be nearly as annoying as you're implying. Generally, cross ups are strong against people overzealous with their shielding, so try either simply dashing out of the way of aerial crossups, and power shielding dash attacks. Without worrying about shield stun, you shouldn't even need Luma's quick hits to punish.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Pretty much all the time. Especially in the shiek matchup. What I tend to do in these situations is immediately back out and try to reset to neutral.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I usually go for dsmash to punish crossups, but I'm mostly a For Glory warrior at this point which probably says a few things both about me and the quality of my usual competition. (No local scene makes me sad. Hopefully I can get a job and move soon.)

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
This is why you should try not to go into Rosa's rapid jab unless you're really sure you're going to keep them locked into it. Otherwise your opponent can freely roll behind you and give you a hard punish. That's why I try to stick to spacing out Luma's jab from a distance, and if my opponent is already right in my face, I try to be a bit more thoughtful with when to use the jab. Perhaps you should try D-Tilting more in situations in which you're currently jabbing. You might find yourself getting roll-behind punished less often.

Other things that are useful: a well-timed D-Smash, and throwing in the occasional mixup short-hop+dair.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
anorexic space princess!

...I think your perception of anorexia is a BIT off...

Also she not a princess.

Just wanted to address that because I thought it was funny.

---------------

I do have annoying cross-ups but it's mostly in online play where I am getting a bunch of delay anyway.

Wish I had a local scene so I could take this game more seriously, I just can't play as seriously as I'd like lately because either the competition is balls, or the delay is. Not to mention the "Laggy C-Stick" Glitch.

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
This ALWAYS happens to me, which in the end makes me loss a lot of my matches due to punishes!

Top Bottom