• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The mentality behind Dr. Mario

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
(If this is posted in the wrong place, mods can move it. This just seemed like the appropriate board).

It's been a long four years since I last visited SmashBoards (and it looks like people are still doing that '10char' crap), or even played Smash competitively. A lot has changed since then: namely, I'm now in college, and a proud member of Phi Delta Theta.
Now, in our house, Super Smash Bros. is a big thing. So big, in fact, that it is the deciding factor in who has to clean the basement or do the humiliating grunt work (of which will remain secret). I bet you can tell where this is going.
Basically, I've never been great at Melee......apparently these guys weren't, either. But I'm on break between trimesters this week - a perfect week to practice Smash! The only two characters I have a good handle on are Jigglypuff and Dr. Mario (so yeah there will be a clone of this thread in the Jigglypuff boards). Now I know that there are plenty of resources for learning on this site, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for Doc or Smash mindgames that a total n00b could understand. Here's a quick bulleted list of what we're dealing with:
[hide]
- Everyone blows at this game. I'm not up against any high-level competition. Most of them I would say are just as good at fighting as lv. 9 computers (however, they are far less exploitable; like, I can get away with a fully charged Rollout into a lv. 9 and they don't even dodge, but of course a person would). We have ONE really good Sheik to worry about, but that's it. There's a pretty decent Fox, but he can't finish a match, and is easily punished when off the edge.

- Nobody knows about or gives a crap about the tier list. Heck, the list barely even applies to this house. To put things in perspective: we have people winning with Ness, everyone thinks the Ice Climbers are awful (b/c no one knows how to use them), and stages are always selected at random so that the glorious Icicle Mountain has a chance to rear its head.

- The only accepted form of Smash is 4-players, 5 lives each, no time limit, no items (well I guess that last one was a given). So Rollout, in some cases, becomes a viable move. 1v1 matches can happen upon challenge and/or request, but most of the time it's a 4-player bout.

- I can wavedash in place for a brief second, and even wavedashed backward about two steps once. But I can't do it as a habit. Also I only did it with Luigi, which isn't a huge help since I play with Dr. Mario.

- I can L-cancel.

- My DI isn't fantastic....I mostly use it just to get back to the stage after being launched. But I cannot do a Wall of Pain correctly. Apparently it's not as simple as spamming Bair to keep them off the edge. I can't figure out how to nail this.

- I'm good, but not great. Most of my combos are just Dthrow -> Up attacks or Uthrow -> Up attacks. My personal favorite is this short, close-range combo: Super Sheet -> Megavitamin -> Fsmash (although I guess the first two are interchangeable).

- I have a problem fighting people that run away on a large stage. I focus on catching them rather than fighting, and if I make a wrong move and don't get a good combo going, they just get away again. This always happens with Samus and Mewtwo, those ******s run away so they can charge their energy balls. Losing to cowards like that is humiliating, to say the least.

- My approach is just to short hop and shoot pills as I get closer. It works out pretty well most of the time. It gets them to focus on dodging the pills so I can run right up to them and attack.
[/hide]

So that's about it. I just wanna beat on some big man babies who think they have a right to get an ego at this game.
So how can a Dr. Mario player in my situation improve in a mere week? What are some good tips and mindgames that a player of my experience could comprehend? Thanks in advance for any help =).

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
Would start by limiting the stages, so you don't have the annoyance of people running away (if it's possible for you to get that to happen) try to stick to the generally accepted tournament stages. Much smaller, and most tournament stages are considered balanced (though there are advantages/disadvantages for each character no matter what stage) so usually comes more to skill and character matchup knowledge. To improve as doc, I'd say the biggest things to work on for starters would be to get the wave dashing down, work on your pill game, and just learn a few decent combos. Also, try not to rely too much on the f-smash for kills (as I see many outside of competitive play do). It's a strong move, has some nice knockback, but range isn't great and takes quite a few frames to do. And as for mind games just throw in a few dash dances and something that just demoralizes them (like a 0-death chain grab combo right from the start).

On a side note, try to stay away from rollout as a general attack with puff. Skill there mainly comes from the air game.

Edit: if limiting the stages is completely out of the question, just super sheet those projectiles right back at them haha

Ktk

Smash Rookie
It's a 4 person game, and you know how to L-cancel? Solid wavedashing for better fluidity in movement should make the game easy for you, though I can't recommend tactics for a 4 person game. Like 0->death chain grabbing isn't so likely to happen when there are 2 other players in the game and you're not on Temple or something.

Full jump - pill - second jump, hover away or towards - pill
a convenient setup vs people who can't dodge them. They'll find it annoying

How can you lose to energy balls on a big stage, you have cape; figure out their playstyle and punish them < this is probably more important than anything else if you want to win repeatedly even without improving your tech game (which you should!)

Top Bottom