• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The many grounded uses of Confusion

Kamtheman56

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kamtheman56
3DS FC
3222-6187-6285
Alright so as we all know Confusion Mewtwo's Side Special attack isn't all that useful outside of reflecting things and recovering however hopefully this post will inform you of it's usefulness on the ground.

Offensive Utility
Mewtwo's Confusion posses some nice properties with those of course being a Reflector and a Command Grab which can prove to be quite useful in combat. Confusion however doesn't have any guaranteed follow ups. Confusion proves to be quite useful as it can be used on unsuspecting shielding opponents to pull them out of their shield and allow you to follow up with an attack. While having a very generous disjointed hitbox using Confusion on panicking opponents or opponents charging a smash attack will make them buffer an attack allowing for a follow up in the form of any Smash attack or numerous aerial moves. Confusion can be used mainly as a "combo" extender in order to keep the flow of attacks going such as Ftilt - Confusion, Jab - Confusion, and Dtilt - Confusion which all of course can be great options to consider.

Defensive Utility
Confusion doesn't really shine in the offensive department however it truly shows how great it is in the defensive area of play. Confusion with it's reflector properties is great at stopping projectile approaches especially with how long it lasts, easily long enough to stop any opponent approaching with projectiles allowing you to not only reflect it but able to counter attack as well. Opponents who like to run up and shield or do a running grab are easily stopped thanks to Confusion and it's disjointed Command Grab properties allowing for time to punish an opponent who panics or wasn't expecting it. Confusion can also stop aerial approaches but not to the same degree as characters with disjoint moves Confusion has a hard time grabbing as they can attack from afar, however any opponent landing with a poorly spaced aerial move can be grabbed by Confusion allowed for potential follow ups or to run away to gain better stage position. Confusion can also be used as a tool to bait reactions out of opponents most notably when possesing a fully charged Shadow Ball, making the opponent shield prematurely and allowing for a follow up from Mewtwo. On shielding opponents Confusion can be used to make a quick get away to regain stage control or to create a distance between you and your foe.

And as always feel free to correct me if you feel I'm wrong or if you have anything you feel should be listed here feel free to post it.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes when I am holding a full charge shadow ball at around mid range, I will toss out a random Confusion, and sometimes it will trick the opponent into thinking that I am tossing the shadow ball. Can sometimes bait something out, but usually doesn't work more than once.

Kamtheman56

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kamtheman56
3DS FC
3222-6187-6285
Sometimes when I am holding a full charge shadow ball at around mid range, I will toss out a random Confusion, and sometimes it will trick the opponent into thinking that I am tossing the shadow ball. Can sometimes bait something out, but usually doesn't work more than once.
While I definitely agree it can happen and can be useful. I feel that it actually is more of a reaction based thing that occurs with players due to predicting a Shadow Ball being tossed and instead seeing a different move being tossed out, although it could be due to how Confusion is a similar color to Shadow Ball? Either way I'll definitely be sure to add that to the defensive section.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Question people. So, Confusion got an unknown buff this last patch, and I am pretty sure they buffed it's reflection range. Can anyone confirm? I have had a couple of odd reflections the past couple of weeks, like reflecting Pika's thunder from a farther distance then the confusion hop took me.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Question people. So, Confusion got an unknown buff this last patch, and I am pretty sure they buffed it's reflection range. Can anyone confirm? I have had a couple of odd reflections the past couple of weeks, like reflecting Pika's thunder from a farther distance then the confusion hop took me.
Sadly you'd need an unpatched copy of the game or an old replay on YouTube to confirm, thus why so few people usually contribute to the patch note thread.

Top Bottom