• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Magic of the Up-Tilted Gordo

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Hey guys, I know I really haven't been here for long but I just wanted to point out perhaps the best tool in Dedede's arsenal that really does not get enough love.

If you roll the control stick up while throwing a Gordo, it will bounce only a few feet in front of you and very high. It may seem like it's not THAT great at first, but when I realized the scenarios you can use this in, it absolutely blew my mind.

First off, up-tilted Gordo is good in neutral. If you're not facing projectile spam, the opponent HAS to find a way to get around the Gordo to Dedede. A lot of players have absolutely no idea how to approach this situation, and you can run in for a grab or free punish. Even if a player has a way of getting around it, forcing that second or two of uncertainty can tilt the matchup in your favor.

Second, it's a combo finisher. Many opponents will try to punish you after d-throw fair. If you full hop and retreat, many opponents will DI into you for the punish. Send them packing with a quick Gordo. This is also a good mixup for d-throw at high %. You can jump twice to bait out an air dodge and up tilt a Gordo for a kill or significant knockback.

Third, it's a great tool to get off of platforms. Dedede HATES getting stuck on platforms in stages like Battlefield, especially when the opponent has a great aerial game like a Fox. When landing on a platform, I tend to send an up-tilted Gordo in my opponent's direction. It's something they have to quickly react to and allows you the second you need to get back to neutral game.

Last, let's talk edge guards. If you place an uptilted Gordo at the edge while your opponent is on it, you have already covered 3/6 ledge options (get-up, jump, get-up attack). If you stand behind it and charge a down smash, your opponent can no longer roll past the Gordo either. Your opponent's only option will be to wait and let the Gordo vanish, which really only super smart players will realize. 75% of players are going to take action immediately and get punished for it. If you are against a smart player who waits for the Gordo to vanish, throw another one or drop off the ledge to trump them or throw out a back air for the stage spike. Boom, easy KOs.

Against projectile spam at medium range, I even use it as bait. Throw one out, jump over it and fair, you've just easily tilted the matchup in your favor.

Hopefully this is helpful. Any other tricks you guys can think of please let me know!

Last edited:

waluigithewalrus

Smash Cadet
You know, I've been able to pull this off a few times, but never on a consistent basis. Time for me to go practice it!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I suggest learning its bounce characteristics and duration because you can deliberately short bounce the gordo (this is just what I call it I don't think there is a universal term for it but you get the point) and position it to land on a person hanging on the ledge's head. Because waiting the gordo out is usually a good idea it forces action if they see it will indeed hit them. At that point the knee-jerk response is usually to roll back onstage, which you can punish with dsmash.

hell sometimes you can throw the gordo out and if you see it's going to hit someone recovering, charge a dsmash or usmash and have the gordo hit them into it. I really think people should hit the lab for this stuff because it is great.

ALSO I like to sometimes throw them out when recovering from far away and see they're going for a gimp or offstage kill. works particularly well in that situation because the gordo covers your immediate area. I have had players go to hit me and because the gordo is right there trade hits with both me and the gordo This reflects the gordo to me and can actually save your life since you're getting hit out of a high kb move by the gordo. you'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever played a ffa and hit someone out of a move that would kill them.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Good stuff for sure, I forgot about just tossing it onto them on the ledge, which is funny because I do that more often. It's a win-win scenario really.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Tossing a vertical bouncing Gordo and throwing the other player into it has always been one of my favorite techniques.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Tossing a vertical bouncing Gordo and throwing the other player into it has always been one of my favorite techniques.

Try up tilt gordo in the air when someone tries to run under you and if you space correctly it will put them between you and the gordo and you can either Dtilt or Dsmash into the gordo and the angle of the knock back and the hit stun will let you up air or bair. Pretty dirty stuff

Icarus Nocturne

Smash Rookie
NNID
IcarusNocturne
3DS FC
2363-5661-9383
Personally, I used the Up- Tilt gordo toss to either trick my opponent into using their shields and go in for a grab, apply massive amounts of shield pressure (broke a few shields before doing this), or ending combos.

I sometimes end up using the U-tilt gordo toss more than the regular toss.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Fun times: Vertical Gordo, roll behind opponent, down tilt them and knock them into it. It's so much fun to do.

Top Bottom