• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Machine Gun Egg Trick

The Yoshinator

Smash Rookie
Hello. I am attempting to learn machine gun egging (when you throw eggs really fast off the edge, I know it has a different name but I don't know it). Anyways, in videos when I see people do it in videos, when dropping off of the edge, they don't seem to drop as far as I do when I attempt it. This either because:
A) I don't ahve this down yet
B) i am doing something wrong

What I am asking for is how exactly am I supposed to do this. What I am doing now is dropping from the dge (down on the joystick), jumping as fast as possible (up on joystick), throwing the egg, and then praying I timed it right. I have a feeling I should be pressing X instead of up on the joystick to jump as maybe it's faster? Hopefully that is what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help in this, and I really hope I'm not trying to do this the wrong way. I know of the Yoshi guides written and I read them, but I'm stupid since they didn't say exactly what to do in dumbed down non-smash terminology.

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
There is a sticky that covers how to play Yoshi, the link is: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=53132
The section you want has been copied below.

Bringer of Death said:
Edge Cancelled Eggs

When Yoshi throws an egg, it has a certain windup time until the egg is thrown, and then you have wind down time until you can move again. One advantage Yoshi has, is that if you have thrown an egg and are still winding down or lagging, you will be able to grab onto an edge, as if you had never thrown the egg. Now, if you combine this with Yoshi’s DJC, you get the main use of edge cancelled eggs. Basically, what you do, is drop from the edge, double jump, and do an egg throw. If you have given yourself sufficient height to allow the entire windup of the egg throw to finish, you can then grab the edge again, and repeat. This allows you, after a lot of practice, to be able to increase your speed between egg throws, and keep yourself in a relatively unpunishable position. Not only that, but because of the looping nature of the egg throws, you can actually use the height you’re throwing from to your advantage. It is a lot harder to get underneath an edge egg than a normal egg.

Uses include:

-A way to disrupt your opponent’s edgeguard
-Look extremely flashy
-Can use the edge’s invincibility to go through attacks and punish your opponent
-Faster egg spam than usual
-Being below the range of the majority of projectiles, allowing you to counter the opponent’s spam
-A way to grab the edge backwards
-Use it as an instant edge hog, by running towards the edge, then egg throwing and sliding off the edge.

Disadvantages include:
-Since you use your double jump, if hit while doing this leaves you extremely vulnerable, and you can be KO’d by a simple needle from Sheik.
-Extremely risky and easy to not get enough height and die, or to get too much height and get punished
-Difficulty increases with the speed you are doing it at

Zurad

Smash Cadet
The guide seems to assume that the player automatically pushes away from the ledge instead of down. I don't play yoshi, but I would think that pushing down when hanging on the ledge makes it much harder to perform the machine gun effect with the eggs then pushing away since you fastfall when pushing down, so I would suggest pushing the joystick in the opposite direction of where you are facing when hanging on a ledge

This should, hopefully, make it much easier for you now

hope that helped Matt, zomg

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Its a practice thing.

To edge egg, I do down on the joystick, press Y at the same time almost to double jump asap, then up and b. Down jump up b alternates the hand you're doing it on and makes it easier. Perfect edge eggs will have 1 frame of falling after letting go of the edge and 11(? maybe more i can't remember) frames of double jump, followed by the egg windup. Doing it perfectly will give you 1 frame of vulnerability right before the egg is released and you regrab the edge.

Of course, I'm lazy and don't practice this much anymore, so I don't do too well at it anymore. It's hard to motivate myself to practice it cos my sparring mates just run to the other side of the stage to avoid it.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Push back while holding the ledge, then press Y to double jump. But don't throw the egg until you are just above the ledge level, you will fall to your death if it's done any earlier.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Hmm... I realized something while trying to practice my "edge cancelled eggs." If you don't tilt down as hard and fast, then press up/Y/X really fast, and then press up-B, you end up pulling off a ridiculously fast egg... of course, there's still a good chance that you'll fast fall, but try to tilt down less and less hard until yoshi kind of... floats off the edge instead of fast falls. That's what Fumi seems to be doing in his videos.

But there HAS to be a SUREFIRE way to NOT FAST FALL or Fumi is just godly...

I don't know... All I know is, all the people that said to press the opposite direction that yoshi is facing is wrong because yoshi ends up turning around, but Fumi is facing forward the whole time in his videos, so I know he's not pressing the opposite direction...

If someone can find an easy way to not fast fall off an edge, you have to tell us all your secret!

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Of course people would think that, seeing that these people obviously lack creativity when it comes to Smash characters who don't have a glaring unique ability like glitching.

Top Bottom