• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luma Spin and You! A Quick Guide

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Hello Rosalina boards! I felt I needed to make a quick write up on everything I've discovered about Luma's peculiar jab finisher, and how I've been applying it in matches. I've found it to be an extremely underutilized tool in Rosalina's already impressive arsenal. Below is a fairly comprehensive guide to using this move to its fullest.

Setups:

As I'm sure most of you know, the most common way to use this is simply by holding the attack button after a few jabs, and it will lock Rosalina and Luma both in an infinity jab loop until the button is released. However, using this alone as a zoning tool leaves you painfully open, even if the Luma is covering the space above you, because you're simply too immobile. I've found several ways to not only lock the Luma in this animation, but also allow Rosalina to continue to use all of her own attacks and even grab simultaneously. They will be listed in what I feel is the order of difficulty.

1. Prone
- The easiest, and most reliable way to set up the Luma Spin is to input the jab combo from prone, and hold the attack button after completing the getup attack. This can also be done with a slightly shorter window by inputting it as you're rolling left or right.

2. Launch Star
- By inputting the jab within a few frames of landing onto a stage with Rosalina's launch star, you can start Luma's jab combo one step ahead of Rosalina, allowing it to reach the infinite loop first. Afterwards, it's a simple matter of holding down the attack button.
- Has the added benefit of being the only option when trying to set this up without any outside interference, such as when the opponent is offstage and about to lose a stock. Keep in mind the Luma will jump if currently untethered to Rosalina.

3. Teching onto Stage
- Similar to starting it from launch star, this requires inputting the jab command while teching from tumble. Works with tech in place, as well as the rolls.
- It should be noted that there are no options to begin the Luma Spin from any tech option from ledge.

Edit:
- Starting the jab combo, and then having Rosalina hit out of it will let you start the infinite.

- Nearly forgot the most obvious way to start the jab combo, being grabbed. Definitely a good option as it lets you pick your own followup to being grabbed as opposed to a single hit from Luma.

- It has become apparent that clanking with Rosalina's jab, but not Luma's will allow you to begin the tech. This has the potential to be the most reliable way to start the combo. Not only will it give Rosalina the edge she desperately needs in a jab - jab clank situation, but also gives her a great counter to clankable projectiles such as Luigi's fireballs. The timing is a bit tough, but with proper timing and awareness it can let you set up the spin without putting yourself in a disadvantageous position.

Rosalina Effects:

- Rosalina has no restrictions on her actions, even while holding the A button! To perform any tilts, grabs, or smashes, simply release the A button, then quickly repress with the desired input.
- Inputting a grab requires the input for a shield grab command, as the default grab button will cause Rosalina to shield while holding the attack button.

Additional Notes:
- All of these require that the Luma not be in hitstun. If the Luma doesn't reach the infinite stage of the jab first, the tech will not work.
- Ending the infinite is as simple as releasing the attack button for anything other than a brief moment. Several other strong attacks also outprioritize it, and cause Luma to get hit ( Ex: Megaman F-Smash / Falcon Kick ). Usually, if the move is strong enough to hit Luma out of its spin, it's also slow enough to be punished by Rosalina.
- Both Star-bits and Gravitational Pull cancel Luma out of the animation even if the attack button is held.
- Repeatedly being hit by the Luma will actually cause the Luma to be slowly nudged away from the person being hit in a similar fashion to Charizard's flame breath.

Properties:

The Luma spin when used desynched from Rosalina has several odd uses and properties. This tech is quite often the best option if available.

1. Parrying
- Oddly, when desynched, the Luma is able to parry moves while remaining in its loop. Against most non-disjointed melee attacks, this means it will parry the attack, then immediately begin to hit back ( Tested with Megaman up tilt ). This also works against most projectiles ( Successfully parries Crash bomber, Metal Blade, Leaf Shield, and Megaman jab ). Keep in mind the Luma spins on a tilted axis, and will not parry attacks hitting from above, or certain angles behind it.

2. Edgeguarding
- While not quite as practical considering the circumstances needed to initiate it, sometimes the stars align and the Luma is already in place near the ledge when the opportunity to freeze it arises. Sometimes this can be as simple as having the Luma cover the roll option, while you attempt to cover other tech options from the ledge. In the most extreme cases, the Luma will stand as a constant obstacle for a recovering opponent to navigate around, most likely ending in a successful edgeguard.

3. Forced Spacing
- One convenient property of this desynch is that the Luma will remain in its current location regardless of whether or not it's tethered to Rosalina. This can be used to hold Luma at a certain location, and have it return at any given moment by releasing the spin without having to put yourself in lag by manually calling it back.

Afterword:
- I'd like to thank @Locke 06 for taking time out of his day to sit on Final Destination and prove a lot of the above information.
- Kris, for being the Ganondorf who put up with me in For Glory even though I stopped competitive play to iron out the details of this mechanic.
- I can prepare videos for all of the above information if requested.
- I will try to answer any questions, or restate anything unclear in the comments.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
[...]
Edit:
- Nearly forgot the most obvious way to start the jab combo, being grabbed. Definitely a good option as it lets you pick your own followup to being grabbed as opposed to a single hit from Luma.
[...]
Apparently, post-patch, Luma will be inaccessible while Rosa is being grabbed; he's supposed to be in "panic mode" during that time.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
If it proves to be the case, I'll snip that line of text from my post. However I believe the addition of a C-stick will add even more tech options for Rosalina. So the removal of one in favor of another is fine in my book.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
there's one more you dont have listed in here, and that's grounded hitstun. if rosalina gets knocked up at all luma will just do a nair but anything that keeps her grounded with weak kb, like yoshi's eggs, she can start the spin.

i covered a lot of this in my thread about the subject

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
there's one more you dont have listed in here, and that's grounded hitstun. if rosalina gets knocked up at all luma will just do a nair but anything that keeps her grounded with weak kb, like yoshi's eggs, she can start the spin.

i covered a lot of this in my thread about the subject
You're right about the grounded hitstun. The issue is I was trying to do it with Megaman's jab, which has hitstun so short, it often won't work.

Sorry about kinda treading on covered ground. I didn't really see your thread until I searched for it under your name. Regardless, this thread should work as a nice quick guide for those who know nothing of the subject, and wish to get a full analysis.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Sorry about kinda treading on covered ground. I didn't really see your thread until I searched for it under your name. Regardless, this thread should work as a nice quick guide for those who know nothing of the subject, and wish to get a full analysis.
ey no problems, i have this tendency to research stuff within threads about some other general idea, so it doesn't get noticed.
like, my thread was called 'infinite luma spin jab into grab', and it wasnt til like half way down i started exploring how to initiate it. we all workin together here so as long as we pool our resources we can break open this lady

Edit: I've still yet to find a really good use for this. Right now I use it as a shield basically, but it is pretty hard playing normally when you have to hold down A. If you managed to dash grab your opponent into Luma it's a quick 30% if you pummel them, but its hard.

Another thing I liked was Rosa's jab attack on one side and spinning luma on the other, if you just hold A and your jabs connect Rosa will do her 1,2,3 jab string indefinitely as long as they continue to hit, which they do, especially with large opponents like DDD or Bowser, they just bounce into Luma and then back into your jab. This can be smash DI'd I'm almost certain, but it's still a thing.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Hitstun is no longer an applicable way of initiating the infinite Luma spin in 1.0.4.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Edit: I've still yet to find a really good use for this. Right now I use it as a shield basically, but it is pretty hard playing normally when you have to hold down A. If you managed to dash grab your opponent into Luma it's a quick 30% if you pummel them, but its hard.

Another thing I liked was Rosa's jab attack on one side and spinning luma on the other, if you just hold A and your jabs connect Rosa will do her 1,2,3 jab string indefinitely as long as they continue to hit, which they do, especially with large opponents like DDD or Bowser, they just bounce into Luma and then back into your jab. This can be smash DI'd I'm almost certain, but it's still a thing.
- I actually had quite a few replays of using this to style on For Glory people, but I seem to have...misplaced them somewhere. Anyway, you bring up a good point; I'll try to add some short clips of useful circumstances. As for the button inputs, I kinda like it. A big reason I chose this character is the need to multitask, and simultaneously control two units.

- I've actually never tried that. I'll do some tests to see how useful / painful it is.

Hitstun is no longer an applicable way of initiating the infinite Luma spin in 1.0.4.
- You're the one that made me insert that in the first place! If I take it out, promise me you won't remind me to put it back in later, okay?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
- You're the one that made me insert that in the first place! If I take it out, promise me you won't remind me to put it back in later, okay?
I'd love to see any videos you come up with. I use it pretty regularly in FG so I'll try to do the same. And yes lol, you can thank Sakurai for having to edit that out. Apparently in all his infinite wisdom he decided to remove that feature. I can't promise it won't be back next patch!

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
*Will edit this post with uses I find*
- In Rosalina dittos, you can 'trap' the opposing Luma on the other side of it, and if it attempts to recall to Rosalina, it will be continuously hit. You're basically trading your Luma for theirs, so it's going to be useful on a person to person basis.

- Luma spin has something odd happen to it when a Ganon passes through it with Wizard Foot. It seems it parries the whole thing and makes it so it doesn't have a hitbox. Going to need to test this in a controlled environment to make sure that's what is happening though.

- I'm realizing now the only matchups I use this regularly is the bruisers: Ganon, Bowser, DK, and Little Mac. They're either big enough to have an issue avoiding it, or are so ground based that forcing them to jump over it in itself is a victory. Not to mention their hits generally send you into tumble earlier than others.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
i have bad news!
it's time to edit it back in!
it can be initiated in hitstun if luma's separated from rosalina. oops!

on a side note, im still using this technique. her spin has some really weird properties, notably the ability to clash with nearly every aerial attack, it seems. for example, ganon's forward air does nothing to luma when it's spinning. it's also really good at covering ledge getup options, forcing your opponent to jump over luma. and it's easy to combo into with ftilt!

oh, and I found another way to initiate it but i'm not fully certain how it works. the spin attack has hitlag, which seems to multiply when hitting two shields at once. i've been able to initiate it in teams by using it on two opponents while they shielded, let go of rosalina's jab spin and went back to holding A and luma continued spinning. might be something to this.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
i have bad news!
it's time to edit it back in!
it can be initiated in hitstun if luma's separated from rosalina. oops!

on a side note, im still using this technique. her spin has some really weird properties, notably the ability to clash with nearly every aerial attack, it seems. for example, ganon's forward air does nothing to luma when it's spinning. it's also really good at covering ledge getup options, forcing your opponent to jump over luma. and it's easy to combo into with ftilt!

oh, and I found another way to initiate it but i'm not fully certain how it works. the spin attack has hitlag, which seems to multiply when hitting two shields at once. i've been able to initiate it in teams by using it on two opponents while they shielded, let go of rosalina's jab spin and went back to holding A and luma continued spinning. might be something to this.
>_>

{ Despite everything, I'm glad someone actually found this useful, so it's cool }

I've actually had that happen several times recently, where Rosalina and Luma will both jab at a target, but will be offset by a second or so. It looks really cool when it happens, but I haven't found the conditions required for it.

Last edited:

_LINK3N_

Smash Rookie
I feel like a total scrub for asking this, but...

what use do i actually get out of this? The only thing i can do is grab, and even then I can't follow up, because I cant use tilts/smashes/aerials..

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I feel like a total scrub for asking this, but...

what use do i actually get out of this? The only thing i can do is grab, and even then I can't follow up, because I cant use tilts/smashes/aerials..
Definitely fair questions to ask!

Frankly, the very reason to use this at all is because it doesn't limit your options whatsoever. By quickly releasing and repressing any command desired, you can keep the Luma spin going, while retaining all of your options. Granted, this requires quite some hand dexterity for fairly low payoff. Even though I love using this technique myself, I am fully willing to admit that it's far from something necessary to succeed; it's basically a glorified Luma idle animation. If you don't find any success using it as a spacing, or combo tool, simply don't use it; you really won't be much worse off.

{ In short, I just made this guide because I had fun learning all the ins and outs of this obscure technique, and felt like sharing }

_LINK3N_

Smash Rookie
First of all, thanks for the fast reply! I actually get it now, and it's pretty easy, too! (but now, for some reason, she shields when I press L...)
I'd recommend editing this into your first post, so people know how to use smashes etc out of it, but that's just a suggestion

So can I use this, whenever I tech something?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yup, or when lying prone, landing on stage with launch star, or when you're grabbed. Also, I'll go back and try to make it more clear, thanks for the feedback.

Edit:
Not sure what you mean by "She shield when I press L", as the default for L is...shield. If you're talking about the grab button, yeah, it's basically because the grab button is really just a macro for Shield + A, and since it can't read the A input because it's being held down, you'll just shield. A workaround is just holding your shield button, then quickly releasing and repressing A when you want to grab.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
found a new way to initiate, though i havent done it, i just assume it should work. you know when you clash with an opponent's attack and theres a stun that prevents you from acting again and it increases with the dmg of the attack? you can attack with luma during that. did a rosa vs ganon last night, we clashed something strong, luma didnt connect with its attack or get hit, and i was able to use luma to hit ganon with ftilt while we were both stunned. id bet its possible to desync into the spin in this position.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
found a new way to initiate, though i havent done it, i just assume it should work. you know when you clash with an opponent's attack and theres a stun that prevents you from acting again and it increases with the dmg of the attack? you can attack with luma during that. did a rosa vs ganon last night, we clashed something strong, luma didnt connect with its attack or get hit, and i was able to use luma to hit ganon with ftilt while we were both stunned. id bet its possible to desync into the spin in this position.
Thanks for the heads up, and you're certainly correct. With proper timing, it seems possible to clank with certain projectiles with Rosalina's jab, without having Luma being hit or jabbing itself ( I've only had moderate success with Luigi's fireballs, but it should be possible with others ). The only other reliable method I've been using to initiate it this way was winning jab clanks. As someone versed in frame data, would you happen to know which frames of their first jab where Rosalina has an active hitbox, but Luma doesn't?

Edit:
Oh, and I edited it into the original post.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
As someone versed in frame data, would you happen to know which frames of their first jab where Rosalina has an active hitbox, but Luma doesn't?
I think @Lavani might have a better understanding of the frame data, so correct me if I'm wrong but looking at the frame data Rosa hits on 8-10, Luma's true frames are 4-5, it's pretty noticeable seeing how late Rosalina's jab is in training mode. Just talking theory craft here but lets say you clank with some attack that does like, 5%, even if Luma hits their move first it doesn't clank like how when Rosalina would clank, Luma's body basically turns into a disjointed attack when clashing with any attack, aerial or grounded (this is subject for another day) and doesn't care about percentages as long as the move's hitbox doesn't hit Luma's hurtbox. I'm not exactly sure what happens with projectiles and Luma but, this is getting too far off track.

Basically as long as their attack lasts long enough for Rosalina's jab 1 to clank with it, even if Luma clanks along with it it may be possible to still control Luma in the clank lag. The issue is hitlag, though, because Luma still suffers from hitlag even if it doesn't take damage to it's hurtbox. What this means is odds are you're not going to see this often in a match and it's not easily replicated, it's going to happen more when Luma is sandwiching your opponent and they clank specifically with just Rosalina.

Teeny tiny little mechanic here but I'm stoked to keep finding new things.

Oh, here's a usage of the spin I was pleased with, it's unrelated to the clank into spin, but I just found it when going through replays.

Top Bottom