• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario "I was wrong!" Thread!

Ultimately, did you feel Lucario would return?

• I knew he was going to return!

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I thought it was pretty likely!

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • I had no clue, really....

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • I was pretty sure he was gone.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I thought he had no chance!

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've seen this idea spread across newcomer threads.

But I think certain veterans could benefit from having this in their sections.

Lucario was seen as one of the most likely characters to be cut.

If you agreed with that sentiment,why did you feel that way?

:lucario:

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think I'm one of the few who thought Lucario should, and had a good chance to, return. From my perspective, there were a couple of things in his favor that I think people overlooked.

1.) He's still important to the series overall. He continued to be promoted as this special pokemon long after the fourth generation had passed, which is particularly noticeable in X and Y, where Lucario actually has a degree of plot significance. That's pretty impressive for any pokemon.

2.) Why replace him? He might not be the newest thing anymore, but is that a reason to cut him out entirely? Perhaps more importantly though, who would replace him? The sixth generation didn't really introduce any kind of "Lucario" pokemon, and the last "Lucario" we had, Zoroark, was starting to get left behind. The closest thing we had to something like that was Mewtwo and his new form. Now that could work. However, when you consider the likelihood that the Pokemon series would expand to have five character slots, you realize that we could just add Mewtwo back onto the roster without replacing anyone. And that gives us a very solid roster of Pokemon characters that makes the vast majority of audiences happy.

So, because of those reasons, I thought he had a fairly good chance of returning. I had my worries, since everyone of course said he was dead, but it seems I had nothing to worry about in the end.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No Clue, he had a unique style but idk how him coming back would have went without knowing more about the full cast.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm in the 'nobody will get cut' camp, so I always thought Lucario would get in but I admit I was skeptical a little at some pointbecause I believed too much in the 'new Pokémon to replace him' hype. I always thought he and Mewtwo could co-exist, but if they added a new Pokémon representation then I would have believed that he would have been the casualty. I had him at 90% chance of returning.

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
There was no real reason for him to get cut, so no one really expected him to get cut (except perhaps mewtwo apologests).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Most people thought Lucario was going to be cut because their would be a new Pokemon that would replace him. You know, because that's happened before. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I was a little divided on whether or not he'd be in the game. On one hand I thought he was a unique newcomer in Brawl who a lot of people liked, and on the other I thought that Mewtwo could take his place (being more popular again and arguably being able to represent Gen 6 better,) especially if all other Pokemon characters came back.

Cool to see him back though.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While I had some doubts because of the pessimism around the character, I felt he was extremely likely to return. Even after Gen IV, he was still getting heavily promoted by the company with a strong presence in both B2W2 and XY (even getting a story role in the latter, something very few Pokémon ever get), and his popularity maintained long after as well. With both GF and the fanbase still supporting the character, it made it a very likely situation that he'd keep his spot.

Mateo8

Smash Rookie
Back in the pre-Brawl days Lucario was one of my top newcomers I wanted in the game because he was and still is one of my favorite Pokemon. Plus Game Freak promoted him a lot. I was excited to see him as a playable character in the end. However I thought he was going to get cut for Smash 4 because I thought of that "flavor of the month" ordeal. When I found out Lucario was going to return for these games I shouted with even more excitement.

Gune

Smash Lord
Always knew he would return the closer to ssb4 we got the more obvious it was, Honestly the only reason people thought he was going to be cut is because of fan made patterns and people who were still sour about mewtwos absence advocated his cut for a newer gen pokemon for revenge or whatever. In the long run it never made sense considering Lucario has been highly relevent, promoted and popular pokemon, not to mention he has been a mascot on pokemon smash since gen 4 with all that it was hard to see him being cut.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I honestly couldn't see him returning after he got his mega and was pushed so much in 6th gen, plus it's kinda weird to have pokemon in a fighting game and not have a fighting type

D

Deleted member

From the moment when I saw him advertised in promotion for Black & White 2, I knew he was likely to return

From his strong relevance to being one of the most popular non-1st gen Pokémon ever, I knew that he wasn't to be underestimated for a return. He had a lot riding for him and was in a lot better situation than Mewtwo and Pichu were during pre-Brawl. Very happy that he got to return and it shuts down the flavor-of-the-week argument to needlessly "replace" characters.

He was one of seven characters I strongly supported in this game (the other being Mega Man, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Ridley, Ike and Roy).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I had no idea if he would return or not.
I leaned more towards that he would return, but I still felt like he was a likely cut from this game.
Still, it's great that he's back! I just hope that its moveset is a bit better.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Even though I believed that Mewtwo would be in the game with 99.99% confidence (now my confidence is around 30% after Greninja), I always saw Lucario as a very likely candidate to return. Never thought he would be outright cut.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm in the 'nobody will get cut' camp, so I always thought Lucario would get in but I admit I was skeptical a little at some pointbecause I believed too much in the 'new Pokémon to replace him' hype. I always thought he and Mewtwo could co-exist, but if they added a new Pokémon representation then I would have believed that he would have been the casualty. I had him at 90% chance of returning.
Same here, there's really no reason to cut anyone from brawl other than maybe toon link but he's back anywhere at least the other clones are somewhat unique
Most people thought Lucario was going to be cut because their would be a new Pokemon that would replace him. You know, because that's happened before. :rolleyes:
That's such a dumb argument same with FE, it happened once it's not like because of that every game will follow

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I thought he was going to be cut up until I heard about him getting a Mega Evolution in Gen 6. That, and the fact that he's the one mega you're guaranteed to get in X and Y made him pretty relevant.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm also of the idea of cutting nobody at all, so I'm glad Lucario returned.

He was treated unfairly by people who used him as a scapegoat because of Mewtwo's absence. The irony is that now some of it has shifted into Greninja; some people just can't be pleased.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I'm also of the idea of cutting nobody at all, so I'm glad Lucario returned.

He was treated unfairly by people who used him as a scapegoat because of Mewtwo's absence. The irony is that now some of it has shifted into Greninja; some people just can't be pleased.
Nobody's going to blame him if Mewtwo doesn't make it again. From what we've seen, Greninja is drastically different, even more so than Lucario. Him having a teleport is literally the only similarity. His style is different, his physics are different, his playstyle is different, everything is different.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Nobody's going to blame him if Mewtwo doesn't make it again. From what we've seen, Greninja is drastically different, even more so than Lucario. Him having a teleport is literally the only similarity. His style is different, his physics are different, his playstyle is different, everything is different.
Not that that's going to stop people from labeling him a "clone" though. There are people that to this day still think that Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo, when they only have one move that shares similar properties.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I was pretty sure that Lucario would be removed and Pokemon Trainer would be kept due to highly representing the most popular generation, but Charizard going solo allowed for Lucario to stay without overflowing the roster with critters and overworking the development team.

AshFlash

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one that thinks Mewtwo could be an unlockable character? After all he was excluded from Brawl because of time constraints. Of course, it could happen again.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I knew Lucario was a shoe-in the moment I saw this official art:

It seemed obvious to me. Game Freak knows about the rivalry between Mewtwo fans and Lucario fans. There was no way that they were going to squander that opportunity.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I was pretty sure he was going to return because of his popularity and role in XY. Then I realized that many others didn't really feel that Lucario was going to return, and actually gave really good reasons to why he wouldn't be returning (which convinced me a little). Sooo... I really had no clue. (really glad he did though; he was one of my mains/favorites in Brawl.)

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Was almost positive he'd be gone becasue his limelight was sort of used up but I guess the mega stuff gave him a reason to be in again.
But sooo happy he made it back

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I never really thought he'd be gone, except that maybe there'd be a slight chance that he'd get cut due to time constraints or whatever. Then again I wasn't around to hear people's doomsaying so I guess there wasn't anything for me to buy into?

I miss Mewtwo and I'd like it if he made a return, but Lucario is pretty good on his own.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Game Freak knows about the rivalry between Mewtwo fans and Lucario fans. There was no way that they were going to squander that opportunity.
^ This so much.:4lucario:and :mewtwomelee:battling out in Sm4sh would suffice all of the fan's dreams. That time when we made album pictures of them staring off in a 1v1 picture in space bg...This could finally be it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was right, actually. Seeing how Lucario's popularity didn't decrease years after Diamond, Pearl and Platinum and how Game Freak keeps promoting the Pokémon in the games and in the anime, I had no doubts it would come back for Smash. Sure, Mewtwo still is relatively popular 17 years after its debut, but I don't believe it was cut from Brawl because of popularity issues.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I actually came back to this thread with guilt in my dreams when I slightly dreamt of this. I did in fact think, in one moment of time, that Lucario was going to be cut. Not because of my speculation or thoughts on it, but from everyone else around me saying he was going to be cut for their singular reasons of saying Lucario was a replacement character for Mewtwo like Roy was with Ike. After dreaming about that back when, I ignored it without being gullible anymore and stuck with my faith that he'd return. So technically I'm a liar but...

TL;DR I once thought he'd be cut for a moment. But after clarifying myself I knew he was going to return. Bold statement~

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't see him being unique. He didn't have any special traits, he was just floaty and didn't have anything going for him. No special mechanics, only special thing that was different for him was the teleport but that didn't have an impact like the aura did.
But he had a unique moveset.

While he didn't have any huge gimmicks, his attacks and traits were unique.

Unless you're going to claim a large chunk of the roster isn't unique.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
But he had a unique moveset.

While he didn't have any huge gimmicks, his attacks and traits were unique.

Unless you're going to claim a large chunk of the roster isn't unique.
His moveset was different.

Though, when I look for a unique character I look at how they have fitted into smash.

Like, Wario with his ult costume

Zelda switching between herself and sheik with the intention of switching from a strong defence playstyle to a strong offensive playstyle.

Pokemon trainer

Samus and her final smash changing between her and ZSS each use

Lucario and his aura

Pichu even though his trait was very undesirable.

Little Mac and his OHKO meter

Roselina and Luma

Ice climbers

etc..

Thats JMO on a unique character.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
His moveset was different.

Though, when I look for a unique character I look at how they have fitted into smash.

Like, Wario with his ult costume

Zelda switching between herself and sheik

Pokemon trainer

Samus and her final smash changing between her and ZSS each use

Lucario and his aura

Pichu even though his trait was very undesirable.

Little Mac and his OHKO meter

Roselina and Luma

Ice climbers

etc..

Thats JMO on a unique character.
So... what would you call? :4dk::4falcon::4bowser::4link::4mario::4marth::4yoshi:?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm so glad I was wrong about Lucario. As an avid Pokémon fan, I knew that he had maintained relevance, but I was concerned about how they would rep Gen VI. They had to do something, so the idea of dropping Lucario and giving a modified version of his moveset to Mewtwo (an old favorite) and giving Mewtwo both Megas seemed possible. Yeah, Lucario has a Mega form too, but Mewtwo is just much more well-known. With the rostert possibly looking like Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer (with 3 Pokemon), Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and a Gen VI rep, there just wasn't room for Lucario.

I completely undercut Lucario. He's an outstanding Pokémon and Smash Bros character- I guess I was just ready to accept that I was probably going to lose one of my mains and thought that it'd be Lucario instead of Pokémon Trainer. While I'll miss the Trainer, I'm very happy with what they've done to Lucario in terms of both designs and moveset tweaks (here's to hoping that Double Team won't be as unreliable).

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I felt pretty sure of Lucario's return, being one of the most popular pokemon of the modern era. He is one of my favorites in both Pokemon and SSB, and it's good to see him returning to the battle bigger and badder than before.

Top Bottom