• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Midna: Call of the Twilight [Revision + Interlude]

Sjakmachien

Smash Journeyman
I've just read everything and it's totaly awesome, cool that you bring back the Wolf form, I like that one. Keep writing like this.

AceMoney

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm very impressed. I haven't finished reading it just yet but I will be done in a little bit. So far it's not bad. Expect a full chapter by chapter critique once I'm done kay?

Akebo

Smash Apprentice
I think I added another friend into my collection of kick-A writers. I love everything--the composition, the storyline, the emotion, the dailouge, everything is really, really good.

Ocarina

Smash Lord
Yes, I'm still around. I'm close to finishing up a chapter...

and no, my real name isn't Ryan. XD

Ocarina

Smash Lord
Will you guys PLEASE quit guessing my name? Please? XD

Well, I'm VERY, VERY unsatisfied with the ending of Chapter 10. I just couldn't find a suitable way to end it -_- so keep that in mind...

Note: Twilight Messengers are the enemies that make portals when you defeat them.

Chapter 10​

"What is this place?" Link stared at the valley in shock and awe; the regular orange light had faded, replaced with one nearer to that of the Light Realm. A field of white flowers grew near a small stream, green grass and trees surrounding it. "It looks like..."

"Hyrule," finished Midna. He nodded.

"That's because this is the Valley of Light; it is a reminder from the Goddesses of what we lost when they threw us into the Twilight Realm." She paused. "My parents... they came here many times. I could never understand why; the light seemed so... harsh... compared to the twilight. But now, I think I understand... light is just as beautiful as twilight in its own way."

Link smiled. "You've definitely changed. The Midna I met back when I was a wolf would have killed herself before saying what you just said."

The princess stuck her tongue out at him. "I'd still never admit something like that to anyone else," she replied, and moved past the flower bed. Link followed her, taking in the sight of a place so like his birthplace, yet still so foreign. As they delved further and further into the valley his thoughts slowly wandered back to the loved ones he'd left behind. Ilia was probably worrying herself sick because of his disappearance; in fact, the entire village was probably worried about him. Zelda, he assumed, was managing Hyrule as best she could; as long as she ruled the country was in good hands. Telma was still managing her bar - mooning over Renado, he guessed - while the shaman was leading his normal life in Kakikiro along with his daughter.

"Link? Is something wrong?" Midna looked at him, concerned; the hero had slowed down, head bowed.

Link's head snapped up. "Huh? Oh, nothing. I'm fine, really." Stop it, he ordered himself angrily. Now Midna's worried about you. You're here, and they're back in Hyrule. They're all doing well without you, so quit your worrying! The hero forced a smile onto his face and walked past Midna. "Which way?" he asked, changing the subject. The princess motioned towards the end of the valley, where two streams merged into a roaring river, swallowing everything in its path without remorse.

"All right, let's go then."

The princess lingered behind for a moment, her amber eyes fixed on the white flower field. She knew Link was lying to her; it was plain as day he missed his friends, yet the hero didn't want to talk about it. They'd been completely open with each other up until now; the thought that Link had deliberately shut her out hurt. The princess knew that he'd kept his feelings a secret because he thought he'd hurt her. As much as I appreciate that, I'd rather have the truth instead. When will he get it through that thick skull of his that he doesn't have to lie to protect me? Midna sighed. I'll talk to him about it after we free the Shadow Beast, she decided, then turned to follow Link.

----------

Atop a cliff, a horned warrior watched as Link and Midna traversed the terrain, his features unchanging. With one arm he motioned at the pair; the Twilight Messengers behind him let out a scream and scuttled forward, spilling down the sides of the cliffs. Hundreds of them crowded together on the ground as the plump green warlord made his way down, gigantic battle axe in hand. He grunted and gestured at the path Link and Midna had taken, then slammed his axe on the ground. The Twilight Messengers stared blankly at him, lost.

Grumbling, the warlord cleared his throat, a gutteral growl issuing forth as he said, "Attack."

----------

Link's eyes widened as he heard the familiar screams of the Twilight Messengers.

"Oh, no," breathed Midna, her face pale. "Zant must have left his army here to stop us!"

The Hero of Twilight stared at her. "Zant has an army?"

She stared back at him in shock. "I didn't tell you? I thought I'd mentioned that after the arena..."

Link counted the events on his fingers. "Let's see... I defeated Orthos, then fought Cesar when Zant interrupted the battle... then we found out about Majora and set off to find out how Zant got the sorcerer's power. No, I don't think you told me."

"All right. Remember the fighting going on at the palace?" Midna scanned their surroundings nervously; not a single enemy was in sight yet, but it was only a matter of time. "This is the same army that attacked the palace! They withdrew after you defeated Orthos; I should have guessed that Zant was the one leading them and had called them back to guard the Shadow Beasts." The princess readied her magic as the first Twilight Messenger appeared over the hill behind them.

"You're okay with doing this? They're your people," said Link, notching an arrow to his bow and letting it fly. The rest of the Messengers were coming over the hill in droves, a rippling black tide that blotted out the greenery of the valley.

"Of course I'm not okay with doing this, but we don't have a choice!" she snapped, and sent several balls of shadow magic hurtling into the mass of creatures. "It's like before; them or us!"

Link hurled himself into the fray, his obsidian blade flashing in the light. The emerald glow that surrounded the sword flared to life as the hero cut down several Messengers with a single spin attack. He backflipped away from the claws of one and leapt into the air, bringing his sword down with such force that shockwaves rippled across the ground, knocking all within the blast radius onto the ground. The Hero of Twilight pulled out a bomb and lit it, throwing it into the crowd. Several moments later it exploded, turning those unfortunate enough to be near it into blue specks that simply floated into the sky. Link sent the two Messengers in front of him reeling away with a blast from his Gale Boomerang, then whirled around in time to gut a Messenger in the stomach before its claws tore him to shreds. There's just too many of them! thought Link as he fended off an attack from another creature. Suddenly, without warning, he was picked up and tossed into the air. Twisting in midflight, Link buried the Sacred Beast Sword into the skull of a Messenger and slammed his shield into another, stunning it for the moment. Retrieving his sword, the Hero of Twilight prepared to face the incoming wave.

Midna blasted her enemies back with powerful bursts of shadow magic, then drew on the power of the earth to impale them with stalagmites. Several phantom blades whirled around her, shredding any creatures that ventured too close to her. Shocking row after row with lightning, she released the blades, skewering beast after beast as they flew threw enemy lines. Drawing upon the power of the river, she sent torrents of water cascading onto the Messengers' heads, breaking their bones with sheer water pressure. With each spell her body grew weaker, but the creatures kept coming, reinforcements threatening to overpower her as she staggered backwards, her legs threatening to give out at any moment. Making her way towards Link, she hurled several fireballs into the crowd.

"This is hopeless!" shouted Link above the din of battle cries. Though he and Midna stood back to back, it was nearly impossible for them to hear one another amidst the cries of the creatures. No matter how many Messengers they felled, several more appeared to take their places.

"Link?" Midna's hands were shaking as she eyed the Fused Shadows in desperation. I can barely stand as it is... but I don't think there's any other way.

"What?" The Hero of Twilight hacked away at the nearest Messengers, his arms growing heavier with each swing.

"I'm sorry." The relics of her family froze in place around the princess' head. In the blink of an eye she vanished, replaced by the towering Fused Shadow Beast. With a loud roar it brought out its spear and buried it in the ground, a blazing field of fire engulfing the area. Link closed his eyes, the sheer brightness of the flames nearily blinding him. As the brightness faded, he opened his eyes - every Twilight Messenger lay dead, their bodies strewn across the battlefield. And laying among them -

"Goddesses, no," he whispered, and ran to Midna's fallen body. Dropping to his knees he picked her up, resting her head on his lap. She coughed weakly, a weary smile spreading itself across her face. "I overdid it again, didn't I?" she said, her voice little more than a whisper.

"What were you thinking?!" he shouted. "You nearly killed yourself!"

"I was thinking.... it'd be nice if you stopped shouting. It's hurting my head, you know," she replied, eyes dancing.

"That's not funny!" he snapped, but lowered his voice. "Don't you ever do that again," he said. "I thought you were..." he trailed off, seeing Midna's amused look.

"Really, Link? You really thought I was dead?" She rolled her eyes. "I would have hoped you'd learned that I'm hard to kill by now."

Despite the seriousness of the moment, Link had to grin. "Yeah, yeah, all right." Reaching into a pocket, he pulled out a bottle full of red potion and eyed it warily. The medicine had been made to cure Hylians; he had no idea how it would affect a Twili such as Midna. The hero shifted it from one hand to the other, hesitant to hand it to her.

"Oh, just give it to me," she said, exasperated. "I don't think there's any way I could feel worse right now." Snatching the bottle from his hands, she drained it in a single gulp.

"That's terrible!" she squeaked, making a face. "How do you drink this stuff, Link?"

He shrugged. "It was either drink it or die most of the time. Feel better?"

Midna nodded, strength surging anew through her body. "Why didn't you give this to me yesterday, anyway?" she asked, sitting up.

"That potion was only for desperate times," he replied. "I've got nothing left in any of my bottles."

Before she could say anything else a loud scream pierced the valley as the Twilight Messenger that had stealthily crept up behind Link dropped to the ground, dead.

"What the -?!" Link scrambled to his feet, sword drawn. The warlord stood above its lifeless corpse, axe resting on one shoulder.

Link hesitated, then made a slight bow. "King Bulbin, I owe you my life." Though the warlord and the Hero of Twilight had clashed numerous times throughout the quest to save Hyrule, they had walked away as equals.

King Bulbin snorted. "Thanks not needed. I serve the strongest," he said gruffly. "Until now, sorcerer the strongest." He pointed at Midna, then Link. "You two combined stronger."

The princess whispered something to Link.

"You don't know if there's a.... erm... big.... black.... thing.... around here, do you?" asked the Hylian. Midna winced at Link's wording.

"Shadow Beast there." King Bulbin pointed at the place where the two rivers converged. The princess blinked.

"How do you know about the Shadow Beast?" she asked, curious.

"Sorcerer said so. Now go. I will finish other enemies." The warlord stomped off, axe in hand. Link watched him go for a moment before picking his love up and starting towards the river.

"Put me down! I can walk!" protested Midna, but fell silent under Link's stern gaze.

"You need to rest," he said as the Shadow Beast faded into view above the rivers, antlers gleaming in the light.

"Great Ion," said Midna reverently. The stag snorted.

"I know why you have come, Princess of Twilight. And I'm afraid I cannot allow you to take my power."

Link looked at Ion, dumbfounded at his prompt refusal. "Why not?"

"Who is to say whether you will use such power in the name of justice? Unlike my brethren, I do not trust easily; I have seen the wrongs committed in the name of righteousness. You aim to defeat Zant... but what will you do with the sword afterwards?"

Link drew back, startled. "I .... haven't thought about it, exactly. I guess I'd keep it if ever danger arises," replied the Hero of Twilight.

"But what will you do with it?" pressed the Shadow Beast, silver eyes boring down upon the Hylian.

"... protect the ones I love."

Ion nodded. "A noble cause indeed... but even the best intentions can result in tragedy."

Midna was livid with anger; jumping out of Link's arms, she marched up to the stag, her face a mask of fury. "Ion, what is your duty?" demanded the princess, struggling to keep her anger in control.

"To protect the Twilight Realm. Do not presume I do not know that. The blade may be used for good.... up to a point. Who can say whether the Hero of Twilight will continue to be a champion of the Goddesses? If he falls into darkness, this world is doomed."

Link's face had suddenly turned pale. Ion turned away and walked into the river once more, fading away as quickly as he had appeared. "I cannot take that risk."

Midna opened her mouth to utter an angry retort when Link motioned for her to follow him. "What?" she hissed as soon as they were out of earshot.

"Ion's right." Link let out a heavy sigh. "The thought's crossed my mind several times, but when Ion put it that way...."

Midna folded her arms. "Just get to the point, Link."

"Midna, how many people do we know that can beat me?"

She looked at him blankly.

"Rusl could hold me back for five seconds; Cesar, maybe a few minutes. King Bulbin could beat me if I was weakened enough, maybe." Link stared off into the distance, dark veils drawing themselves around his thoughts.

"What are you getting at?" she asked, understanding starting to filter into her mind. The hero exhaled and turned to the princess.

"I'm saying that there's no one left to stop me if I ever fall from the grace of the Goddesses, and that scares me, Midna."

Midna's eyes were blazing now, bright amber pools that threatened to engulf him. "You're wrong, Link; there's one person who can," she said hotly.

"Who?" asked Link dismally, past caring about the answer.

The princess drew back one hand and slapped him lightly. "Me."

Link's head jerked up, eyes wide.

"It's me, you idiot! What, you didn't think I wouldn't try and stop you? If you ever fall into darkness Rusl and Cesar won't get a chance to kill you because I will kill you first for ever letting something like that happen to you!" She paused, taking a deep breath. "I will always be with you, Link, and if you ever need me to stop you, I will, but it won't come to that. Do you hear me, wolf boy?"

He looked up at her; the dark veil cast over his thoughts vanished, driven back by the light of her revelations. "Midna...." he whispered, wrapping his arms around her in a fierce hug. They stood together, locked in their embrace, for a full minute. The princess let him hold her, waiting patiently until at last the hero had composed himself once more. "Are you okay now?" she asked as he pulled away. Link nodded.

"Link, will you promise me one thing?"

"Anything."

"Don't lie to me about your feelings next time. It's perfectly fine with me if you miss your friends."

Link opened his mouth and closed it again. "You knew?" he asked quietly, averting his gaze.

She shrugged. "What did you expect? After all the time we've spent together, did you really think I wouldn't know you're lying?"

The hero sighed and rubbed the back of his head. "I'm sorry."

Midna shook her head. "You don't need apologize. Just... don't do it again." She turned her gaze back to the river. "Now we just need to convince Ion to lend us his power," she murmured.

"You've already convinced me," came Ion's voice. The Shadow Beast appeared next to them as the Sacred Beast Sword, tucked away in its sheath, began to glow with a soft blue light. "Your words, O Princess of Twilight - they had the ring of truth to them. As long as you are with the Hero of Twilight, then I am sure my power will not be misused." The stag fixed one large silver eye on Link. "Do not prove my judgement to be erroneous. Farewell." In a single bound the stag dove into the water, vanishing into its clear depths.

"Wait," called Midna, looking at the desolation that had overtaken the once-beautiful valley. Trees had been burnt to ashes, the earth scorched by the raging flames. Countless bodies littered the battlefield, a testament to the power of the Fused Shadows. "Is there anything you can do about the valley, great Ion?" asked Midna in desperation.

"Plant the sword in the ground." Ion's voice echoed throughout the valley as Link obeyed the stag's command. The instant the blade touched the scorched earth the land sprung to life, the trees and greenery restoring themselves to their former glory in the blink of an eye. The Twilight Messengers shrunk and twisted until at last they had assumed their normal Twili forms.

"I sheltered as many as I could from harm. Zant's influence still lingers over them; they shall sleep until it has been removed completely."

Link retrieved his sword, sheathing it once more.

"Ion... thank you..." whispered Midna, and eyed the Fused Shadows warily. "Link, when this is over... I'm going to throw these in the deepest, darkest vault I know of. Their power is too much for any one person to handle."

The Hylian said nothing; after all, it was her decision to make.

"The last Shadow Beast is... by Mount Mjollnir. Let's go, Link!"

Chapter 11​

Mount Mjollnir loomed before them, gray clouds circling the summit; set at the base was a small cave. "The Shadow Beast, Xenos, resides in there," said Midna. Much to Link's surprise, it was unguarded; not even a single bokoblin was in sight. Silently they advanced into the cave, making their way through the narrow, twisting tunnels as quickly as they could. At last they stood before the sacred spring, several sols floating in the air to provide adequate lighting.

"Welcome, Princess of Twilight. And you, courageous hero." The last Shadow Beast swooped down from the ceiling, landing before them with a thunderous crash. Folding its massive reptilian wings, the dragon lowered its head until at last it was at eye level with the couple. "You have done well to make it this far."

Link was staring at the dragon in a state akin to shock. "Why haven't you been sealed?"

In response Xenos let out a long, deafening roar, so powerful that Link and Midna were nearly swept out of the cave. "Me? Zant is but a fly when compared to my power; he would no sooner attempt to seal me than attempt to eat lava," scoffed the dragon, tail swishing on the ground.

"O Xenos, wisest and most powerful of all Shadow Beasts - will you lend us your power?" asked Midna, wording her plea to flatter the dragon. Xenos let out a puff of smoke and touched the Sacred Beast Sword with his nose. The sword flashed flashed once, then began to shine with a black aura.

"It is done; once again, the sword of darkness shines with its sinister radiance..."

Link blinked. "Sword of darkness?"

"Purified darkness," corrected Xenos. "It can cut through anything except that which it is made from. Now go - Zant sits alone on his throne; save this world from his malevolent intentions!"

--------

Link and Midna eyed the large castle in front of them incredulously.

"Link, tell me I'm not hallucinating; there's really no door here, right?"

The Hero of Twilight scratched his head, bewildered. "I don't see a door either. Then again, this is Zant's castle; who knows what act of insanity caused him not to build a door...?" The Hylian had drawn his sword, eying the solid rock face in front of him. With three quick slashes the rock fell away to reveal a well-lit passage leading further inside. Link nodded to the princess. They advanced inside, constantly on guard for any enemy or trap that Zant had set for them. However, every word of Ikaro's story had been true - not a single living soul stood guard inside the castle, nor were there traps anywhere. Within minutes they'd reached the door to the throne room.

"So... he did keep it after all..." said Midna softly. Sitting on a small table next to the door was a locket. Link picked it up, inspecting the intricate engraving on the cover. Inside was a small portrait of a smiling young girl and boy, standing outside of the Palace of Twilight.

"There's a story behind that portrait..." continued the princess, staring off into space as she began to reminisce. "Once, there was a lonely little girl who had nothing better to do than cause mischief. And one day, she met a little boy."

Breathing heavily, the girl darted through a door and softly closed it behind her, sweeping her gaze over the room for a way out. Nothing. Of all the times to run into a dead end, she fumed.

"Where'd that brat go?! It took me three months to finish that painting!" came an angry voice from close by. Suppressing a giggle, the girl slowly edged away from the door - and tripped over a soft, warm bundle of blankets. She fell to the floor with an audible thud as a small head poked its head out from under the blankets.

"Sorrysorrysorry, I didn't mean to sleep..." he began, and stopped as he saw the girl staring up at him. "Who are you?" he asked, almost timidly.

"Don't just look at me, help me up!" ordered the girl. Getting to his feet, he pulled her up easily.

"Who are you?" he asked again.

"I'm Midna."

"The princess?!" The boy's eyes widened in disbelief. "You shouldn't be down here! If you get caught -"

"I realize that, stupid!" Midna rolled her eyes. "Look... um... what's your name again?"

"Zant." He looked back at the door as loud footsteps approached. Turning back to Midna, he said quickly, "Follow me!" Grinning, he tapped a stone hidden behind a tapestry. The wall next to them faded away to reveal a small passage, illuminated by a single sol. Wordlessly they entered the passage, the wall fading back into place behind them.

"Zant, how did you know about this?" demanded Midna. He shrugged.

"I know all the passages in the palace, princess. You learn a lot when you have as much free time as I do."

They'd reached the end of the hall; Zant reached up and tapped a glowing red stone. The wall in front of them faded away to reveal a large storeroom, barrels and boxes of ingredients placed on the shelves.

"You can take it from here, right?"

She looked at him oddly. "You're... not like everyone else, are you? All the kids I know stay away from me..."

The boy shrugged once more. "I guess not." He extended one hand out to her. "Friends?"

She shook it without a second thought. "Friends."

"Zant was my first - and basically only - friend when I was growing up. Whenever I'd cause mischief, he'd tag along to bail me out if I ever got into trouble. As we grew older, Zant and I had less and less free time - he was a servant, I had my duties as the Princess of Twilight. But one day, when I had arranged to play a prank on the council...."

"So what's the plan today, Midna?" asked Zant, plopping down on a chair next to her. Midna shrugged, an evil grin on her face.

"Nothing much - playing a few pranks on the council, that's all," she replied. Zant let out a cackle of glee.

"Oh, this'll be rich! What are we doing?"

Quickly the princess outlined the plan. When she'd finished a sinister smile had grown on Zant's face.

"That's brilliant, you know that?" he said.

"Did you expect any less?" she replied playfully, brushing her hair back. "Now, let's get going - the council's meeting will start in five minutes."

Before she could walk off Zant fished a gold locket out of his pocket and handed it to her. "Take it, as a sign of our friendship," he said as Midna gasped.

"Zant... this is..." The princess opened it; inside was a small portrait of Midna and Zant, smiling in front of the Palace of Twilight. "Did you draw this...?"

He nodded.

"... thank you, it's beautiful." She donned the locket, feeling its weight settle against her chest. "All right, let's go!"

"As we grew older, Zant... changed. I made the mistake of mentioning the ancient magic to him... after that, he became obsessed with attaining its power. I rarely saw him after that... until the day the council rejected him as a potential king."

Zant walked towards the princess, his arms trembling. "They rejected me," he said tonelessly. "They chose you over me." A hint of anger crept into his voice as he continued. "They said I was too ambitious, too willing to assume power." Then he exploded. "Those old fools! Don't they see that ambition is what we NEED?! We've been stuck in a rut for so many years now; tell me, Midna, how many advances have we made since we were cast into this... forsaken place?!"

Midna stared at him as if he were a total stranger. "I wouldn't know."

Zant threw his head back and laughed. "None, that's how many! The Twili have become too complacent, too lax! And yet those old fools can't see that!" He took her hand in his own. "Marry me, Midna. You of all people should know I'd make a good king."

The princess jerked her hand free. "Zant, are you insane? Do you really believe that after I've seen you act like this I would think you would ever make a good king?!" She shook her head. "We're friends, Zant... and that's all we'll ever be. I can't marry you..."

And suddenly he had his hands around Midna's throat. "I said marry me!"

Calling upon the power of the one Fused Shadow in her possession, she blasted him back with a ball of shadow magic. Midna fell to the ground, gasping for breath, as Zant picked himself up off the floor.

"You're not the person I knew before," she said quietly, and with a single movement unclasped the necklace that held the locket around her neck. It fell to the ground with a soft thunk. "Get out, Zant."

He looked at her for a moment as his hands balled into fists. "You'd throw away our friendship?"

Midna shook her head. "No. I'm not throwing away my friendship with the Zant I knew. I'm throwing it away with the person you've become.
You're not Zant. Now get out before I summon the guards!" The princess abruptly turned on her heel and walked away.

"There may come a day when you'll regret what you've done!" shouted Zant, shaking with rage. The princess kept walking, leaving Zant alone on the balcony. Throwing his head back, he screamed incoherent words at the sky until a glowing face of yellow fire appeared before him......

"Two weeks later, Zant invaded the Palace of Twilight, turned me into an imp, and... well, you know the rest, Link." Midna had closed her eyes, resting against the wall.

"Can you do this?" he asked carefully. She nodded.

"Of course I can." She let out a sigh. "The memories were just too much, I guess. It's better to have them come out now rather than later." Midna turned her attention to the door. "Ready?"

Link's grip on his sword tightened; with a quick slash of his blade the door fell away and he stormed into the throne room, eyes alight with determination. Zant rested on his throne, his helmet nowhere in sight.

"So glad you could join me," spat the madman, his twin scimitars perched precariously on the armrests of the throne. He stood and paced back and forth, muttering to himself. Clearing his throat, Zant glared at the pair. "I present my offer once more - surrender and live under my rule, or perish." The sorcerer eyed Midna. "Be my queen, Midna, or face a painful death."

"Never," she hissed, the Fused Shadows floating around her. Sensing her anger, they began to store energy in preparation for the fight.

"You dare to reject me?!" he shouted, cocking his head to one side.

"You really thought we'd accept those terms? You're even more insane than I thought!" shouted Link, pointing the Sacred Beast Sword at Zant. "After all you've done, you deserve to die!"

At this Zant's eyes narrowed. "I am dead!" he screamed, ripping part of his robe away to reveal a gaping hole through his chest. "Remember this, princess?" He stuck one arm through the hole. "This was where you killed me with the magic of our ancestors!" Zant let out a manic laugh. "You couldn't imagine the pain! One moment, part of the living...." The Twili began to flap his arms like a bird. "The next, floundering in that endless abyss, the void!" The sorcerer bent backwards until his head touched the ground, wild eyes staring at the ceiling. "It was there I met my benefactor, the legendary sorcerer Majora."

At the mention of his name, Link scanned the room for any sign of the dark mage. Where is Majora, anyway? he wondered briefly before turning his attention back to Zant.

"He offered me a proposition - I could have his power and the Twilight Realm itself... if I would set him free." Zant let out a humourless laugh. "For all his power, he could not free himself out of the void - no, he could only send those unfortunate enough to be cast into the void back to do his bidding." The deranged sorcerer drew himself upright, snatching his scimitars from the throne. "I accepted, of course; how could I not take the offer? Majora sent me back as I was - dead. Tell me, Hero of Twilight - can you kill what is already dead?"

Link grunted. "You'd be surprised what I can do," he replied, every muscle in his body tensing. Soon, whispered his mind. The fight will begin soon.

"Where's Majora?" demanded Midna. "He's not here, obviously, or he would have never let us take two steps into the throne room."

Zant smiled, a sinister smile that send chills down her spine. "Why, funny you should ask that." His eyes locked with Link's. "He's in Hyrule."

The Hylian froze, unwilling to believe what he'd just heard. "What did you just say?" asked Link, his voice trembling. Zant smirked.

"Didn't catch that the first time? Majora is in Hyrule, you miserable excuse for a hero, plunging that despicable land into darkness!"

"No," growled Link, refusing to believe it. "No! Shut up and fight!" he shouted, charging at the sorcerer with such fury that Zant stood frozen with shock. Recovering, the Twili raised his scimitars in preparation to strike.

"So be it," growled Zant. With a clash and shower of sparks, the battle for the Twilight Realm had begun.

Ocarina

Smash Lord
Sheesh. After several (PAINFUL) revisions, I think I'm somewhat satisfied with Chapter 12. It's not as great as it could have been...

The hardest part was the middle and the end. I had no trouble with the beginning. Chapter 13 will most likely be the end of Book 1...

Chapter 12​

Link leapt nimbly across the battlefield, dodging the spheres of rock that Zant had been throwing at him. Raising the Sacred Beast Sword, the Hero of Twilight simply cut through a large rock heading his way and kept running towards the sorcerer. Beams of fire and ice streamed out of the Fused Shadows as Midna assaulted Zant with every ounce of power she could gather. The sorcerer simply laughed as her attacks bounced harmlessly off his body; raising his hand, he sent several shards of ice hurtling towards the princess. Link dashed in front of the incoming icicles and batted them back at the sorcerer with his sword, watching with satisfaction as they crashed against Zant's face. Letting out a howl, Zant raised his hand and sent several balls of fire flying towards the hero. The Sacred Beast Sword flared to life, its black aura absorbing the fireballs in an instant. The Hero of Twilight grinned and batted away two more fireballs before smashing his shield into Zant's face. The sorcerer reeled back, stunned, as Link rolled behind him and left a searing wound on his back. Stamping his feet on the ground, the Twili summoned several ghosts of the past to attack. Link caught a glimpse of Armogohma and Orthos before Midna simply blasted them out of existence.

"That was weak. What, you couldn't make full copies of them, Zant?" taunted Midna as she casually leaned on Link's shoulder. Growling, Zant raised his arms and called down bolts of lightning, only to watch in disbelief as the white hot strips simply vanished into the Sacred Beast Sword. The sorcerer's finger twitched, immobilizing both the princess and her hero. With a smug smile Zant began to walk towards them, scimitars in hand, when the invisible bonds holding the couple simply vanished as the blade in Link's hand glowed a pale black color.

"What power is this?!" cried the sorcerer as Link landed a savage rain of blows upon his body. Staggering backwards in pain, he fell to the floor, eyes wide, arms shaking, as the Hero of Twilight twirled his sword and sauntered over Zant. "How is it you so easily dispel my defenses and attacks?!"

Midna shrugged. "That's the way of things, Zant. I hoped dying once would have shown you the light, but..." The Fused Shadows began to glow as beams of shadow lanced into Zant, riddling his robe and body with holes. "I guess not."

"Shutupshutupshutup!" shouted Zant, struggling to his feet while clouds of darkness began to swirl around him. Within seconds he was completely hidden from view.

"Be careful, Link," warned the princess. "I don't know what he's up to, but I don't like it."

The Hylian nodded, his eyes fixed on the swirling darkness in the center of the throne room.

And suddenly the darkness vanished, replaced by six identical Zants that circled Link in an instant. All six carried the sorcerer's twin scimitars; cackling evilly as they spun around Link, they pointed their swords at his body. He deflected the first few blows with his shield and struck back at each clone only to find that the sword simply passed through all of them. Flinching as their blades slammed against his tunic, Link rolled out from their circle and pulled the transformation crystal from its pouch. Slipping it on, he felt the changes begin; within seconds he was a wolf. Concentrating on the circle of Zants, he blocked out everything else, his feral senses springing to life. As he'd expected, the ring of sorcerers vanished, replaced by the true Zant that stood off to the side, deep in concentration. Baring his fangs, Link leapt at the sorcerer, ignoring the terrible taste in his mouth as he bit into the Twili's shoulder. Zant yelped and beat the wolf back with the blunt side of his scimitar before teleporting a few feet away, leaving several bomb spiders in his place. Growling, Link backed away and slipped off the necklace, returning to his normal form. The Hero of Twilight grimaced as he unsheathed his sword once more - this was going to be a long, ardous battle.

-------

Link backflipped away and brought his sword to bear once more, his muscles screaming in agony as he hefted the blade up. Why won't he die?

"Persistent, aren't you?" hissed Zant, watching the hero sprint towards him, sword in hand. The Twili raised his hands and called down shards of ice that grazed Link's face. Ignoring the wound, he engaged Zant in combat, his sword seeking the vulnerable places in the sorcerer's guard. Despite his inexperience with the ways of the sword, Zant was quick to block Link's attacks, strike after strike being turned aside by the flat side of his blade. The sorcerer lashed out with one foot and kicked Link back, sending the hero skidding along the floor. Using the momentum to flip himself upright, the Hero of Twilight glared at Zant.

"Getting tired, are we?" Zant balanced one scimitar on his finger as Link dredged up strength from his reserves. Link glanced at Midna; she was as tired as he was.

"Link, get him," said Midna tersely as the Fused Shadows spun around her. Tentacles of shadow wrapped around Zant, pinning him to the ground. Link leapt into the air, sword raised, as Zant vainly tried to free himself from the mesh of tentacles that had ensnared him. A cold chill settled over the sorcerer as he looked into Link's eyes. The eyes of a beast, he thought as the blade ran him through, its sacred fire racing through his veins. Zant let out an inhuman scream as black dust rose from his form, dissipating into the air as the sorcerer struggled upright, the Sacred Beast Sword impaled in his stomach. "Go," he wheezed, lifting one arm to point at a small door to the right. "Light Realm... there. Midna... thank you... for stopping me..." He coughed thinly and fell to the ground as Midna crouched by him, staring at the sorcerer with a gaze that held both compassion and hatred.

"Can you... forgive me... for... what I've done...?" whispered the sorcerer, looking up at her with eyes whose lights seemed to dim with every passing second. The princess shook her head.

"No. I will never forgive the monster that you became...." She paused for a moment. "But I will forgive the friend I once had, if he's still around."

Despite the pain, Zant smiled. "He's still here. Midna, I..." The sorcerer closed his eyes for the last time, letting out a long sigh. "Goodbye... and thank you...."

Link simply stood by the princess as she paid her last respects to Zant. "It's time to go," he said after a while, gently placing his hand on her shoulder. Midna stood, placing Zant's locket inside her cloak.

"He'll be remembered by many as a monster... but to me, I'll always remember him.... as a friend." She turned and walked over to the door Zant had pointed to. "So this is the door to the Light Realm... let's go."

The Hero of Twilight nodded. Without a glance back at Zant's lifeless corpse they opened the door and stepped through into the Arbiter's Grounds. Link let out a cry of pain and collapsed on the ground as the darkness that had swept across Hyrule pressed down upon him, attempting to devour his body and soul. Midna gasped for breath as she dropped to one knee; as one born of twilight, the darkness did not affect her as much as it did Link, who was born of the light. Taking him by the arm, the princess began to silently line up the spell for warping. She hesitated for a moment, unsure of where to go, when the image of a spring by Ordon swept into her mind. Good enough. Releasing the magic, Midna felt the familiar dissolving sensation begin as both she and Link turned into black particles that vanished into the portal hanging above the chamber.

--------------

"What... was that...?" panted Link as they appeared at Ordona's spring, holding onto Midna when his legs threatened to give way.

"That was darkness, Link; pure darkness! How are we going to get to the castle if it's covering the land?" She looked around the spring for a moment. "Why hasn't this place fallen into darkness, anyway?" Catching Link's stare, she added, "Not that I'm angry it hasn't, it's just... don't you find it odd that this is the only place without -" Midna waved one hand at the veil of blackness that lay just outside of the Ordona and Faron provinces - "that?"

"An astute observation, Twilight Princess." The spring began to glow as an orb of light emerged from the water. Ordona faded into view. "This place is protected by the power of the sols imbued in the Master Sword; I merely amplify it to protect this area from the darkness that threatens to engulf it." The light spirit turned to Link. "Welcome back, Hero of Twilight; as the Goddesses would have it, we have need of your power once more."

The Hylian nodded; he'd expected as much. "What must I do?"

"Draw the blade of evil's bane; with it, you may drive back the curtain of darkness that surrounds Hyrule. Only then may you reach the castle where Majora has decided to reign."

Midna cocked her head to one side. "But if Link draws the Master Sword, then won't that mean this place will..."

Ordona began to shine brighter. "No; both Faron and I have absorbed enough light to hold off the shadows... for a while. In that time you must defeat Majora... or this last sanctuary of light will succumb to darkness." Then, in a single jarring flash of light, Ordona vanished. Link looked at the empty spring for a moment before turning to Midna.

"Ordon's just a few steps away... you don't mind if we rest for a bit, do you?"

The princess shook her head. "Of course not. You're in no condition to draw the Master Sword, anyway." She was right, of course; drawing the Master Sword required a perfect balance of heart, body, and soul, something that his tired body lacked at the moment.

Link nodded absently as he stared down the path that led to the village, his eyes filled with longing. Midna rolled her eyes and pushed him forwards. "Go already, wolf boy," she said, amused, as she followed him down the road into Ordon.

-----------

Hours later, Link and Midna sat by the small pond in the village, looking out at the water. Their arrival had been anything but quiet - Talo had seen them coming in. If anyone else had seen them, it would have taken several seconds before his or her shouts could be heard across the village. However, during the time Talo had spent as lookout of Kakikiro Village, the boy had honed his voice to the point where a single shout could echo across several hundred yards.

"HEY! EVERYBODY! IT'S LINK! HE'S BACK!"

Ilia had just finished making her bed when Talo's shout echoed across the village. "What?!" The girl ran out the open door, heading straight for the small crowd that had gathered near Link's house. She hurriedly made her way through the mass of villagers only to stop and gaze in both relief and shock. Link stood in front of her, clothed in a black tunic and smiling as he'd always smiled before his journey. And next to him stood a tall woman whose orange locks fell down to her chest, pale blue skin - blueish-whitish, really - shimmering in the sunlight.
She's.... beautiful... thought Ilia.

"Wow! Hey, Link, is she your friend?" asked Talo excitedly.

"Yeah! Where'd you meet her?" Beth chimed in. Rusl stepped in from of the children, motioning for them to be quiet. The swordsman turned to face Link, looking him over closely.

"You must be tired," he said at last. "Get some rest, Link; I'm sure the children have plenty of questions they want to ask you, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow." He glanced at Midna. "If your friend needs a place to stay, then -"

"She can stay at my house!" exclaimed Talo. Beth smacked him on the back of the head.

"She's a girl, idiot! She can stay with me if she wants to," said Beth.

Midna shook her head, amused. "That's nice of you, but... we'll be staying at Link's house."

Mayor Bo cleared his throat. "All right, everyone; let's let Link and his friend get some rest." Slowly the crowd dissipated until at last only Ilia was left.

"Welcome home, Link," she said, and hugged him, hanging onto the hero for all he was worth.

"Home?" Link blinked. He hadn't been away from Ordon for more than a week, yet the very idea of calling his birthplace 'home' already seemed foreign to him. Something in his voice caught the girl's attention, for she pulled away to scrutinize him closely. "Um, Ilia? I...." The Hylian looked at Midna, who gave him a look that said 'you're on your own this time.' "Look, Ilia, I don't know how to say this, but... this is probably the last time I'll ever return to Ordon."

The girl could feel her heart breaking as each word escaped from his lips. "What?! Why?!" she cried, fighting back the tears that so desperately wanted to run free.

He sighed. "It's complicated. Midna is... and I..."

At the mention of Midna's name Ilia suddenly understood. "You're going to live... in the Twilight Realm?"

The princess' eyes widened. "You told her?" she hissed.

The hero shook his head vehemently. "No! Ilia, how...?"

"I overheard your conversation with Zelda," she said, and let her tears flow free. Link furtively glanced at Midna, who nodded. He drew the girl close, his strong arms wrapping around her in a warm embrace.

"I'm sorry, Ilia... that wasn't the way I wanted you to find out..." he murmured.

"You didn't want me finding out at all! And how could you think I wouldn't understand, you... you... blockhead?!" said Ilia, half-shouting, half-sobbing through her tears.

"I'm sorry," he said again, and simply held his friend close to him.

"There's someone out there who will love you just as much as you love Link, Ilia," said Midna quietly, placing her hand on the girl's shoulder. Slowly the tears subsided; Ilia detached herself from Link, turning to face the Twilight Princess with grateful eyes.

"Thank you for your kinds words, Midna. Take care of him, will you?" Ilia turned to go, only to stop a few yards away. "Link, I need to know... if your adventure had never happened... would you have loved me?" She did not turn around, waiting for his response.

"I don't know," he replied, watching helplessly as she walked away without another word.

"Hey, Link?" Midna's voice brought him out of his thoughts. She'd rested her head on his shoulder, the two of them watching the way the last rays of the sun reflected off the water, a fusion of yellows, pinks, oranges, and reds that formed a beautiful, ever-changing mosaic of colors.

"Yeah?" The Hylian picked up a stone and threw it, watching as it skipped across the surface before finally sinking to the pond's bottom.

".... Nothing."

Link folded his arms across his chest. "Now who's the one not talking about their feelings?"

The princess scowled and looked off to one side. "You remember too much," she complained.

"....I'll take that as a compliment. What's bothering you?"

Midna sighed. "It's stupid, really... you don't want to hear it."

"Midna, nothing you have to say is stupid," he replied, brushing a few loose strands of her hair out of her face.

"... All right. Do you think she'll be all right?"

He exhaled. "I think so. She'll be fine, given some time..."

They returned to watching the water for a few minutes until Link let out a yawn. "Someone needs a nap," teased Midna.

"Oh, shut it," he said, getting up. Pulling Midna to her feet, they walked hand in hand back to Link's house.

-------

Majora cracked one whip as he paced the length of the throne room. Zant's death had sent his power running back to him in droves. He had no doubt that the Hero of Twilight was coming after him next - it was only a matter of time before he arrived. The only way that he could have beaten my servant... is with that sword. The sorcerer's blood turned to ice at the very thought of the sacred blade that had sealed him into the mask. A slow smile spread itself across his face. Very well, hero... come meet your doom at my hands. Sword or no sword, I will never be sealed again!

Ocarina

Smash Lord
Whew. This is the longest chapter I've written. Seriously, it is. And... let's see, yes.

WARNING: CLICHES AHEAD!

The ending I'd planned for, unfortunately, involved several time-worn cliches. There was simply no way around them :p

And now, for the final chapter of Book 1!

Chapter 13​

Link and Midna departed early the next morning, the hero quickly and quietly saying his farewells to the villagers that had been like family to him before warping with Midna to the Sacred Grove. The Hero of Twilight approached the guardian statues, standing on the mark of the Triforce as he addressed them. "I've returned for the Master Sword."

"Very well. You may pass," rumbled one statue as the stone door it guarded began to rise. Link entered the chamber with reverence; there, embedded in its pedestal, sat the blade of evil's bane, shining with the power of the Sols. Clasping both hands around its hilt, Link tugged at the sword, pulling it free of the stone. Taking the sheath that materialized before him, he placed it with his other sheath so that both scabbards formed an 'X' upon his back.

"Light and darkness, wielded back to back," said Midna softly, looking at the blades in his hands. "Who would have thought it was possible?"

The hero took a few experimental swings, adjusting to the use of two swords as easily as if he'd been trained to do so. Satisfied, he sheathed both the Master Sword and the Sacred Beast Sword. "Of course they can mix," he said. "Look at us."

Midna grinned. "How could I forget?" Her smile faded as she looked up at the encroaching darkness. "Link.... you know what we have to do."

He nodded. "I know. This is it, Midna."

She took a deep breath. "Ready?"

Link checked his equipment one more time. "As ready as I'll ever be..."

"Then..." Midna raised one arm and warped them away, their black particles flying across Hyrule towards the castle.

---------------

"So," said Majora, cracking one whip in the air as Link and Midna entered the throne room. "You've come. And I see you've brought your lover with you."

Link glanced at Midna, then stepped in front of her, drawing both swords in preparation for battle.

"I've watched you, Hero of Twilight; your skills are impressive. It's no wonder you were able to defeat my servants." A faint blue aura surrounded the sorcerer as he leapt towards Link. "Unfortunately, the legacy of the Hero ends here!" he shouted, one whip wrapping itself around Link's arm. Fending off the other whip with one sword, Link raised the Sacred Beast Sword and cut himself free of Majora's whip while Midna sent lightning hurtling down the other. The sorcerer yelped as the slightest electrical current shocked him. The princess tried spell after spell to no avail; every attack she used was simply absorbed or nullified by Majora.

Magic has no effect on him, she realized, watching as her phantom blades shattered upon contact with Majora's skin. In that case... the only thing I can do is support Link.

The Hero of Twilight slammed both swords down on Majora's armor, carving whole sections of it off before rolling away as the Twili brought his remaining whip downwards a sweeping motion. Link let out a cry as the whip wrapped itself around his leg, sending him toppling to the ground.

"Going somewhere?" asked Majora, crimson eyes boring down on the hero as a lance of fire dropped from the ceiling, aimed at Link's stomach. Several pieces of ice smashed into the lance, shattering it into pieces in midair. Cutting himself free of the whip, Link rolled away, getting to his feet in time to block several lethal thorns that the sorcerer hurled at him.

That blade... it's restricting my power, as before... thought Majora as he reached for one of the ancient spells of destruction - only to find it blocked by an unknown force. Irritated beyond belief, the sorcerer turned to his arsenal of lower level spells, selecting several to cast as the Hylian charged towards him. Guarding against several attacks with his gauntlets, a thin smile spread itself across his face as he sent the hero flying with several balls of darkness. Link struck the wall, a sickening crunch echoing throughout the room as he fell to the floor, limp.

"Link?!" Midna rushed over to his side, helping him up as Majora cackled with glee.

"This is all you can do? Pathetic! You don't deserve to fight me!" Flames encircled the twilight sorcerer as he raised his arms to the heavens.

"Some ribs... broken," heaved Link, and coughed up blood. "He's stronger than I thought he'd be."

"Of course he is, you idiot!" yelled Midna. The idea that Link could die here and now was suddenly real, a terrifying thought that she thrust to the back of her mind. "Don't you dare die, Link! I'll never forgive you if you do!" she said, and hugged him.

"Who said anything about dying?" asked Link, and coughed once more before picking up his swords from where they had fallen.

"I did," said Majora. The couple turned their attention to the sorcerer. Ancient runes had appeared in the center of the throne room, glowing a bright blue as Majora lowered his arms. "Beast of fire, come forth! Gigas!"

A giant erupted from the runes, letting out a harsh howl as the flames on his body burned brighter. Turning his one eye to the hero, the giant swung his fist. Link and Midna clawshotted out of the way, the princess already calling on the power of the Fused Shadows to fight back.

"Don't do anything stupid, Link," said Midna as a subzero wall of ice emerged from the ground, blocking the Gigas' path to them. The Gigas simply walked through it, raising his fist to strike.

"Can't make that promise," he grunted in reply and sprinted off to the left, ignoring the pain that racked his chest. The giant followed his every movement, waiting for the opportune moment to crush him, when an icicle crashed into his head. The Gigas turned to Midna, who began to pelt him with more icicles. Jumping onto the fist that dragged along the ground, Link scampered up it and shoved the Master Sword into the Gigas' eye. Letting out a roar of pain, the Gigas flailed his arms around, nearly hitting the Hero of Twilight as he retrieved his sword and slid down the giant's chest, dropping to the floor.

"That was reckless, Link," said the princess, resisting the urge to smack him on the back of the head.

The Hylian shrugged. "I had no choice," he replied, bringing both blades close together. They began to glow brighter, releasing a plethora of colored lights as the blades nearly touched. Link looked first at the blades, then the princess. "Midna, what happens when light meets darkness?"

She blinked. "I don't know."

"Well, I guess we're about to find out," said Link, and touched both sacred blades together. An explosion of light rocked the throne room, blinding every combatant with its brightness. Slowly the light faded to reveal a giant broadsword hovering in front of the hero.

"Impossible," breathed Majora, staring at the sword in shock. The blade was as large as the Master Sword, black and white auras radiating from its core. The image of a wolf had been set into the crosspiece, yet instead of its black eye the yellow jewel of the Master Sword sat in its place.

"The Key of the Twilight... that was a child's tale!" shouted the sorcerer. Link reached out with both hands and grabbed the sword, marveling at its sheer size and light weight. Raising the blade, the Hero of Twilight swung it experimentally. A blazing beam of light emerged from the sword, nailing the Gigas in its chest. With a cry of surprise the giant turned to ash, its single eye crowning the top of the ashen mound.

Majora crossed his arms, calling a volley of lances to his side. "I don't know how you got that, and I don't care... you will still die by my hand!" cried the sorcerer, and pointed at Link. The lances sped towards Link, threatening to riddle him with holes. Raising his sword, Link brought it down in a vertical fashion. Gusts of wind formed a barrier of air in front of the couple; as the weapons struck the barrier they clattered to the ground harmlessly. No matter what spells the sorcerer used, the Key of the Twilight managed to counter them every time. Calling an axe to his side, Majora engaged the hero in battle, swinging the axe wildly as he approached Link. With a single swing of the Key the Hylian shattered the axe into pieces. The sorcerer backed away, his eyes narrowing in fury.

The Key of the Twilight... a legendary weapon, said to have come from the hand of Din herself... truly, it is a powerful weapon. Majora raised his hand, a black glob of darkness appearing above his head. "Key or no Key... you cannot stop this attack. While my power may have been sealed, I can still tap into the power of the void!" The glob had reached a colossal size, filling a third of the throne room as Majora let out a manical laugh. "Now, die!" he screamed, and motioned at the couple. Link sent several beams of light into the glob using the Key of the Twilight, watching as they were simply absorbed into the roiling black mass. Midna hurled several shards of ice and earth at the ball of darkness, slowly sinking to her knees as her attacks did nothing to halt its progress.

"Link...? Is this it?" she whispered. The hero shook his head.

"No! There has to be some way..." he trailed off, looking over his weapons helplessly. "Midna?"

She swallowed and looked up at Link. "I know, Link... I love you too."

A volley of Light Arrows lanced out of the darkness, tearing into the glob as Zelda and Rayn dropped in from the air, a portal to the void closing behind them. The glob shuddered briefly, then continued to move forward.

"Don't give up!" shouted Zelda, firing off several more Light Arrows. Link joined her assault, beams of light flashing from the Key to the glob.

"You!" shouted Majora, seething with rage. "You're supposed to be in the void!"

Rayn smirked. "We're not, brilliant one! When you, um..." He looked at Zelda for help.

"When you took power from the void, the darkness holding us captive weakened enough for the power of light to pierce it. A fatal mistake, Majora!" Zelda notched her final Light Arrow to her bow and sent it flying into the core of the glob. It shuddered once more - then imploded, vanishing from existence as if it had never been there in the first place.

"Zelda!" called Midna.

"Now is not the time, Midna!" replied Zelda, but smiled upon seeing her friend. Turning her attention to Majora, she closed her eyes and bowed her head. "Spirits of Light! In my hour of need, grant me the power to banish evil!" prayed Zelda. The Triforce of Wisdom shone brightly on her hand as a golden Triforce appeared behind Majora.

"Beasts of Shadow! In my hour of need, grant me the power to banish evil!" shouted Midna, sending a plea to the protectors of her realm. The Fused Shadows glowed once then faded to their normal color as an orange Triforce appeared in front of the sorcerer, pinning him in-between the two marks.

"Now, Link!" yelled Rayn. "Finish him!"

Majora struggled to break free of his prison as the Hero of Twilight was surrounded by a golden glow, the Triforce of Courage resonating within him. Twirling the Key of the Twilight, Link sprinted towards the sorcerer, a fierce gleam in his eye.

The Twili stared, dumbfounded. I've seen this attack before... but where...? Majora frantically searched his ancient memory for the answer. Then, in a moment of horrifying clarity, he knew. For a moment it was not Link charging towards him but the ancient hero who had triumphed over him before. No! Not again! thought Majora, stricken with fear. It was the same attack that the previous hero had used to finish him - an attack designed to rip both his physical and spiritual self apart, hacking and slashing until nothing, not even atoms, remained.

"CURSE YOU!" screamed Majora as the first of Link's blows connected, opening new gashes along his side. The Hero of Twilight continued his assault, slipping into a rhythm that surprised even him. At times he could feel the slightest weight of an otherworldly hand guiding his attacks, showing him the sorcerer's most vulnerable points. At last, several thousand slashes and screams later, Link backflipped away, sheathing the Key of the Twilight as the Triforce marks faded and Majora toppled to the floor, his body already beginning to disintegrate.

"You... I... won't..." sputtered Majora, and looked at Midna. Raising one fading hand, he opened a portal to the Twilight Realm. With the last of his power he shoved the princess in.

"MIDNA!" screamed Link as the portal closed.

"Hehe... you... lose..." whispered Majora as the last of his body faded away.

"No." Link began to shake his head. "No, no, no, no... NO!" he shouted. They had won.... but he had lost. Midna was gone. Again.

"Link, I'm so sorry..." Zelda put her hand on his shoulder only to have it pushed away by Link.

"I don't need pity," he snapped, flinching as searing pains raced through his body when he turned to go. "I have to get to the Arbiter's Grounds."

"You're in no condition to go anywhere, hero," began Rayn, when a glare from Link silenced him.

"I don't care," replied the hero. "She means everything to me. And I'm going."

Zelda nodded sadly, knowing the depths of his iron resolve. "Go, Link. And... good-bye." The princess and the commander watched him limp out the throne room, holding his chest, as the darkness outside finally lifted, revealing a blue sky.

"He did it," said Rayn, awed.

"Yes... he did. And I can only hope he can find her again...."

--------

Link halted Epona at the Great Bridge of Hylia, dismounting the mare and patting her on the head. "You're the most faithful horse anyone could ask for, Epona, but... I can't take you with me where I'm going." The hero slipped the horse call that Ilia had given him into one of her saddle bags. "You belong to Ilia now; take care of her for me, will you?" The Hylian hesitated, then slipped on the transformation crystal to hear her reply.

"I understand, Link." Epona's 'voice' was calm and soothing. "I'll watch over Ilia." The mare pawed at the ground. "Go."

Taking off the crystal, Link patted her on the head once more before heading down the path to the lake. Epona watched him go, then whinnied and galloped away, returning to Ordon Village.

--------

It was several hours later that Link reached the Mirror Chamber, hope swelling in his chest as he looked around for the door to the Twilight Realm.

Nothing. Where the door had been was a rectangular outline with carving of Majora's sneering face inside it. Link dropped to his knees in disbelief. It was gone; his one way back to Midna had vanished, leaving him in a world that already seemed to be losing its sparkle to him.

"Give up easily, don't you?" came a familiar voice. Link looked up to find the Hero of Time standing in front of him, his ghostly form smiling down at the Hylian.

"Shut up. Didn't you want to rest? Go away and leave me be," retorted the hero, in no mood to be teased.

"Honestly, Link, I didn't come here to tease you. Remember my words, Hero of Twilight?"

Link stared at him blankly. The Hero of Time sighed.

"Remember that no matter what happens, you will always return to the twilight." The shade coughed. "I told you that before, didn't I?"

The Hylian nodded, the faintest wisp of hope returning to him. "Is there another way back to the Twilight Realm?"

The Hero of Time grinned. "Oh, there is. But I'd rather let them explain it to you in person. So long, Link, and.... thank you. I can finally rest in peace..." said the shade softly, vanishing as a gust of wind blew past Link's face.

"Hero of Twilight... we have many things to discuss."

Link spun around to find three women standing by the remains of the Mirror of Twilight. One wore a flaming dress of red, matching her orange-red hair; another wore a luminescent blue dress, complimenting her azure eyes. The last one wore a forest green dress, her hair the very color of a pine tree.

"Do you recognize us?" inquired the red woman. A slight shiver ran down Link's spine as he heard her clear, melodious voice.

Could it be... them?
Without hesitation Link knelt before the women, his head bowed. "Din, Farore, Nayru..."

Farore clapped her hands. "Very good. I must say, you catch on quicker than your predecessors; we had to forcefully suspend the Hero of Time in the air for five minutes until he got the picture. Remember, sisters?"

Din of the flaming dress and Nayru of the azure eyes giggled. "Indeed we do."

Nayru's voice took a serious tone as she eyed the hero. "Get up, Link."

He obeyed without question, looking at all three Goddesses in awe.

"You have been a faithful servant," continued Nayru. "Perhaps the most faithful servant we've ever encountered. You've sacrificed so much to save both worlds... including your own happiness."

Link remained silent.

"The way to the Twilight Realm has been shut yet again; when you defeated Majora, every spell he had cast died with him, including the spell he used to create the door to the twilight," said Farore.

"Is there any way back?" blurted Link, then clamped his mouth shut as Farore glowered at him.

"I was getting to that," she said icily. "The way to the Twilight Realm has been shut - yet that was not our intention. By destroying the Mirror, Midna inadvertently defied our wishes - and deliberately defied her own."

Din smiled. "Now, we couldn't let that happen, could we?"

Nayru shook her head. "No, we couldn't. So... we're going to give you a new one."

"Nayru!" hissed Farore.

"Oops! I mean, have you forge a new mirror by yourself. No, that's not it... Din?"

The red goddess rolled her eyes. "Honestly, sister, you're the patron goddess of wisdom!" Din turned to Link. "Ignore Nayru," said the goddess of power kindly. "What she means is that the Mirror of Twilight can be reforged... but we have not the power to do it."

Farore brought up two halves of a small, handheld mirror, the pieces made up of the remaining mirror shards. "You must forge this, Link. Not by your strength or by your hands... but by your faith. Faith in Midna, and faith in yourself."

Link took a deep breath. "What must I do?" he asked.

All three goddesses smiled. "Believe, Link. Twilight is calling for you; you only need to listen and answer its call."

The Hero of Twilight closed his eyes. Midna... there's not a single person in this world that can stop me from getting back to you. I'll find you, no matter how long it takes.

On the mirror platform, one half of the broken mirror began to shine, while the other half remained dull.

"What's going on?" demanded Link.

Nayru sighed. "You are not the only one who must forge this mirror... Midna must as well."

Link looked up at the sky, sending out a silent prayer. Believe in me, Midna, just as I believe in you.

---------

The Princess of Twilight wandered back into the Valley of Light, her lower lip quivering as she sat by the flower grove. Link wasn't here; she'd known he wouldn't be, yet some part of her had held out hope that he'd be there, holding out one hand as he smiled at her with that radiant smile of his. Stop it! she ordered herself as a tear drifted down her cheek. What would Link say if he saw you...? Oh, curse it all! When did I get so dependent on Link that I care what he'd think? she wondered idly as the tears began to flow. She thought over the adventures they'd shared, from her time as an imp to the battles they'd fought together. Link... is this really good-bye...? Midna shook her head. No. She stood up, holding her head high as Selena's words reverbrated in her head.

"When all your hopes have fallen... faith shall banish sorrow."

Midna sighed and looked out at the valley. I believe in you, Link... please, just come home. I'll be waiting for you.

-----

The last piece of the mirror began to shine as chimes began to play, solitary notes that echoed across Hyrule. The notes sped up as the pieces circled each other, glowing brighter and brighter until at last they collided in a brilliant flash of light. The newly completed mirror floated over to Link, resting in his palm. The goddesses nodded, satisfied; one by one they departed until only Farore was left.

"That mirror in your hands holds not a trace of malevolent intent within its glassy surface; forged by faith and love, whatever sinister machinations it had have vanished. Use it as you will... and take this power." Farore raised her arms as the transformation crystal slipped out of Link's pouch and hovered above his head. Then, with a single gesture from Farore, it shattered, the dust falling over Link's head and arms. "The power to transform into a wolf at will is now yours." The patron goddess of courage smiled. "Go home, Twilight King; twilight itself, along with Midna, is calling for you." And with that, she was gone. Link held the mirror to his chest, feeling calm and safe as the light from the mirror surrounded him; in seconds he vanished from the Mirror Chamber, appearing just outside the Valley of Light.

Midna stood with her back to him, looking at the white flowers that had begun to spread from the flower bed to the valley below. She froze as the familiar sound of swords clinking on a metal shield, of boots crushing the grass underneath, of various items rattling and jingling for all they were worth, reached her ears. "Why are you here?" she asked quietly, afraid to turn and find no one standing behind her. Strong arms wrapped themselves around her waist.

"I told you that wherever you were was my home.... and I meant it, Midna."

Tears of happiness tumbled down her face as she turned around and kissed the man she loved. "Welcome home," she whispered, and stroked his face. "And Link?"

"Yes?"

"No more adventures."

He grinned. "Don't worry; I don't plan on having any. Except with you, of course," he said, and winked.

Midna blushed. "Yeah, yeah, wolf boy; there'll be plenty of time for that later. Let's go home."

Taking her hand in his, they left the Valley of Light as a new day dawned over the Twilight Realm.

End Book 1 - Call of the Twilight​

A/N: Yes. Cliches. And yes, I did take the phrase from the end of Majora's Mask (dawn of a new day).

Ocarina

Smash Lord
And now, for the part in-between Books 1 and 2...

Interlude

From the Royal Records

It seems that in addition to the position of High Chancellor, I've been appointed Royal Historian. I attempted to decline, but Queen Midna strongly urged me to accept the position. I acquiesced to her will for the sole reason that the history of this realm interests me. There seems to be a large gap in the records over the past 15 years, so I shall write things down as I remember them. The wedding and coronation of Link and Queen Midna took place one year after Majora's defeat. The entire village of Ordon, along with Queen Zelda and King Rayn of the Light Realm, attended the joyous event - thanks to the new Mirror of Twilight. Link outright refused to wear a crown, much to our surprise - never before had a ruler rejected the symbol of authority. To solve this problem Queen Midna sewed thin gold trimming around the bottom of Link's cap to indicate his royal status. You may be wondering why I am not referring to Link as His Majesty or the king - it is Link's request that we call him by his name and not by a title. "A title is a title and nothing more. Just call me Link" were his exact words, if I recall correctly. After the ceremony, Link and Queen Midna became the proud rulers of the Twilight Realm. Prosperity has increased tenfold during their reign - not only for those of royalty, but for those of common birth as well. Several laws, first proposed by the queen, have been passed that aid commoners in the financial department, as well as many others - those once impoverished are now well-fed and supported by a decent job. When asked why she created these laws, Queen Midna simply replied, "I keep my promises."

It is not only the queen who has been doing the work, but Link as well. As a warrior-king, he has trained and strengthened the guards and the army so that the tragedy that was Zant's reign may never occur again and so that those who travel abroad may never encounter hardships. Indeed, thievery and murder rates have decreased dramatically since Link ascended to the throne. He has weeded out many corrupt politicians - surprisingly, nearly half the council was found guilty of questionable deeds. I'm ashamed to admit that I had not taken much interest in my subordinates' dealings, but I have sworn to pay closer attention so as to spot such shady acts. Link understands the people well - though he is not from the Twilight Realm, I believe his experiences have helped him gain insights into the lives of those not of noble birth. Granted, the Twili did not welcome the idea of a light dweller as a king - not at first. However, as Link proved himself to be a king that ruled for the people and not over the people, they generally accepted him as a true king - he is now well loved by the Twili.

Near the end of the second year of their reign, Queen Midna gave birth to twins - one boy, one girl- with an ecstatic Link by her side all the while! This was quite a shock to everyone, a mystery that apparently had no answer. Link brought over a well-read Hylian by the name of Shad; together, he and I delved into the ancient histories to attempt to find an answer. Shad was quite an odd fellow; he kept babbling on and on about what a privilege it was to be let into the Twilight Realm, let alone see ancient records. Thankfully, finding the answer only took two days. A sorrowful Shad departed as I presented the facts to the beaming parents. It seems that the Twili were once closely related to the Hylians. As the Twili's hold over the shadow magic increased they were able to alter their appearance at will. When the Goddesses cast our race into this realm, our ancestors changed their appearance to try and blend in with their surroundings. Generations passed, and eventually the alterations became permanent, resulting in the blue skin and other traits we have today. Quite sorry for the rambling, but as I said, history fascinates me. Back to the matter at hand: the Twili are closely related enough to the Hylians to allow child-bearing to occur. I must confess I was slightly disappointed when neither Link nor the queen appeared to have heard a word I'd said - then again, it was understandable, as they were busy caring for their newborns. The boy was named Eirias, for Link's father, and the girl was named Mystearica - Tear, for short - after Queen Midna's mother.

I think I shall end this particular entry here - it is already dawn, and I must oversee the clean-up of last night's gala. Yesterday was the king and queen's 15th anniversary, and so a big party was held. I sometimes wish such duties did not pull me away from this work, but alas, they do.

High Chancellor and Royal Historian
Balore

Sjakmachien

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, cool ending for Majora, looks a little bit like the supermove from Link in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Ocarina

Smash Lord
X_X I have AP Tests next week and the week after next, so I haven't had TIME to write the chapter X-x;

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
hold on man, we're with you.

btw I tought the twilight realm only had that stupid castle and nothing more, or at least that's what we get from the game.

and did anybody get the meaning of what zelda says at the end of the game? like "I think the goddesses wanted us to meet". I mean.. nothing special happened between Zelda and Midna.

Sjakmachien

Smash Journeyman
Zelda gave her Triforce to Midna to save her when she was almost dead by Zant, although she vanished herself into Midna or something. What a crappy sentence was that.

Ocarina

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or did this section get even QUIETER than it was before?! O_o

Ahem. I am revising this story and working on the next part; I guess I can post the next "chapter", so to speak...

Ocarina

Smash Lord
>___> Looks like I posted this already <_<

So yeah. Anyone recall how to delete posts?

Top Bottom