• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ledgebutt

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
ok, here is a technique i discovered while messing around in training, im sure there are players who know it, but ill type it out anyway

while dk is hanging on the ledge, you can push back to let go, not down or else you'll fall down

ok, so you can do a midair jump, and dk will land on the stage and not the ledge
now, you can time his forward b, the headbutt, durin the midair jump, so by the time you land on the stage, you pull of a headbutt grounded, giving you enough time for a dk punch, forward smash, or down smash, with enough time to get on the other side and KO the opponent easily

if you do it to early though, you will headbutt the ledge and need to spin to get back on
and can possibly get gimped

you can do the same thing with the dk punch, the ledge punch, but is harder to time
during the midair dk punch, dk does not lose any momentum, if you are going forward, you will keep going forward
so if you time the dk punch during the midar jump from the ledge back on stage, you can pull off the punch just in time for the SA frames, and land on the ground

without the helpess fall and fall land lag, he will land as he swings the punch just in time for sa frames, the opponent has to be spaced properly from the ledge, but depending on the situation, can be very, very useful
overall, the headbutt is more effective since it can hit opponents right at the ledge, and depending on the damage, enough time to get a kill
but the ledgepunch can be amazing depending on how your opponent is spaced and how you pull it off.

the c stick version

pushing up on the c stick at the ledge will cause dk to jump up
however, immeditaly pushing forward b will cancel the jump midway and do a headbutt, you can do it fast enough to pull it off slighty above the ledge and able to land on the ground
however, it goes slightly a little to high, and can't be pulled off against the shorter characters, but its just another way of doing the ledgebutt, the other way is much more effective since you can hit any opponent, no matter how small, but a litle harder to pull off

however, both the ledgebutt and the ledgepunch are like snake
snake's boost smash, hard to do at first, but easily mastered

special thanks to Pkboy89 for helping me test out this technique.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a DK main, but I been messing around with these techniques and they can be very effective if used properly. The ledge punch is more situational due to the spacing thats required, but it can be done in a real match I think and can be very effective.

As for the ledgebutt, I was able to pull it off and get a few kills, I find it more effective then the ledge punch, but I think that the c stick way isn't good, the headbutt always goes to high

Thats what I think at least, we gotta see what all the DK mainers think of this

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
This is called ledgehopped attacks and they are are pretty much a staple for all characters for getting up from the edge. Especially good for DK because of his range and hit properties. Ledgehop >B is great for people who shield, ledgehop Punch for people who attack. Uair works well for people who are tall or in the air by the ledge. On stage with a sloped edge (Yoshi Island, Lylat, Distant Planet, etc.) ledgehop UpB timed right will hit the slope and turn into a grounded UpB, useful for the SA and for it's long lasting shield stab properties. Also, don't forget about ledgehop airdodge.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
This is called ledgehopped attacks and they are are pretty much a staple for all characters for getting up from the edge. Especially good for DK because of his range and hit properties. Ledgehop >B is great for people who shield, ledgehop Punch for people who attack. Uair works well for people who are tall or in the air by the ledge. On stage with a sloped edge (Yoshi Island, Lylat, Distant Planet, etc.) ledgehop UpB timed right will hit the slope and turn into a grounded UpB, useful for the SA and for it's long lasting shield stab properties. Also, don't forget about ledgehop airdodge.
Yea, every character has a few ledgehop attacks, but I didn't know you could time the headbutt and dk punch so well when ledgehopping back on the stage, if you hit the opponent with a headbutt at decent percent, its a free kill basically.

caltitch

Smash Rookie
Instead of letting go of the ledge, just jump into a headbutt. The range is exactly the same but if you mess up there's no scary mash recovery and hope you don't get spiked moment.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I've been using drop, jump back and punch wind, cancel and UpB back.

It gets a wind, stalls for a bit in awkward ledge situations, and a lot of characters can't do anything about it. Be careful not to buffer a dodge into the windup or you'll cancel into an airdodge and most likely die. Characters that can spike your UpB easy (Lucas, ROB, Ganon) probably aren't a good idea to repeatedly use it on either.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
I personally found it safer press back then jump while almost immediately DonkeyPunching. This can catch people off guard while providing space for you you to fall the 3 or 4 frames back onto the edge (if done precisely). Most people wont immediately approach the ledge, which gives you a chance to jump on yourself.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
I personally found it safer press back then jump while almost immediately DonkeyPunching. This can catch people off guard while providing space for you you to fall the 3 or 4 frames back onto the edge (if done precisely). Most people wont immediately approach the ledge, which gives you a chance to jump on yourself.
people already use that a lot though. that really only works if your opponent is right on top of the ledge and isn't shielding or predicting it to come. additionally, even though its a donkey punch, that wont kill until higher percents because your knocking them across the stage.

Top Bottom