• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Laser: A question.

TheMrL

Smash Rookie
Incorrect usage or incorrect option?

This is primarily a problem v. Marth, since it's my most played and an annoying MU for me. But I just began Falco, and like most new falco's am probably a little laser reliant. However, I am working on that, my question is, if my lasers are usually being properly punished or Power Shielded, should I in some way shape or form be using them just more sparsely and more mix-up, or do they become a poor option (strictly for neutral) and I should nearly completely remove them from this part of my game.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Wow that was a weighty question for a newer player.

Punishing: If they're punishing you for lasering, they're almost definitely reading you or you're trying to laser way too close to them. Lasers aren't difficult to react to, so don't do a standing laser super close to them. If they're punishing you once you think you have laser control, then you're not mixing it up enough. I'm not going to head super in-depth with this right now because it's a less mechanical aspect of the game, but you want to mix up your laser timing. One simple mixup you can do is DDing for just a moment after shooting the laser that brings you near them. My bro tries to read my going in right after that laser, so I DD a few times and then head in and it messes him up every time. Just try not to always shoot the same height laser on the same timing.

Powershielding: If you're varying your laser height and timing a ton, there's a chance they're just a powershield god like Armada. If not, try to mix those factors up a lot and be more ambiguous with when you'll laser. Maybe play 2 or 3 seconds of the neutral without shooting a laser, and then begin establishing control with a retreating low laser to punish him for trying to go in on you. If he's messing you up after that laser when you try following up, head back to the above point.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
The primary function of falco's laser is to force the opponent to choose from a set of options you determine for them; get hit, jump, or shield. When a laser is in play these are their only options, it is paramount that the laser remains in play in every matchup it's falco's best tool. Now if your opponent power-shields your laser you too are locked into the same set of options, against Marth in particular this can be quite frightening as forcing you to jump means he gets to catch you with his fair and forcing you to shield allows him to begin his amazing grab game. Granted there are ways to prevent this, if you feel Marth is going to power-shield opt for a feint laser, this is accomplished by hitting the ground before Falco fires his laser. His blaster will click as it does when he fires a laser but no shot will come out, this can confuse Marth and force him into shield when he need not be. Mixing in feints with your regular lasers forces the opponent to be conflicted internally, they want to power-shield your laser but the risk of being deceived and punished for what they thought was 'safe' frightens them, it is in this moment that their mind is in your hands what you do from there is up to you.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Now if your opponent power-shields your laser you too are locked into the same set of options, against Marth in particular this can be quite frightening as forcing you to jump means he gets to catch you with his fair and forcing you to shield allows him to begin his amazing grab game.
Running powershields are also a ridiculously powerful tool for Sheik, especially given the size of her shield and the fact that it means she can start up her techchases. I only add this because I don't want anybody thinking that Marth's the only one who can get a TON of reward off of a single powershield.

One thing that I want to add on about powershields is that, while they're a bit harder to react to, they'll be a bit easier to deal with once you get used to the Falco ditto, even if they do mess up your inputs a bit.

Top Bottom