• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kong Family Tree

NometheGnome

Smash Rookie
So, I was a little confused about the Kong family history today. This past week I was watching all of the snake taunts and saw that the ORIGINAL DK is this DK's(in melee/brawl) Grandfather. I learned that in some of the newer games that he goes by the alias of Cranky Kong.

Cranky Kong had a kid that went by the name of simply just JR. JR was featured in very few games and stared in just one. Only thing stated about JR was that Diddy Kong was supposed to be a updated version of this ape.

Further down the line comes DK(Melee/Brawl) and his buddy Diddy, who is like his kid who wants to grow up to be big and strong like him. We all know about DK and Diddy's games throughout gameboy, SNES, Virtual Boy, N64, and the DS.

So you guys are cought up to the Kong family tree, and I was curious what happens to JR. They never directly say he is DK(Melee/Brawl)'s dad. If he is, which is what I expect. What happened to him, and why does he not cameo in any of the DK games as an adult or elder since JR's dad (the original DK from NES/Arcade AKA Cranky Kong) does?

WhiteCarnation

Smash Cadet
If I remember right, the way it goes is:

Old school Donkey Kong and his son Donkey Kong Jr. (who had his own game)

Old Donkey Kong becomes a grumpy old man, they call him Cranky Kong. Donkey Kong Jr. drops the Jr. and just becomes the tie-wearing DK we all know now.

Like in Donkey Kong Country's intro, Cranky is up on the girders like old times playing the Donkey Kong music on a phonograph, and then his young son bumps him off and plays modern music

Interesting fact though, before they settled on this, during Donkey Kong Country's development Diddy Kong was originally named Donkey Kong Jr. and was gonna be DK's son, but Nintendo didn't like Rare's drastic alteration of Donkey Kong Jr. so they named him Dinky Kong and came up with this family tree.

Dinky Kong had some legal issues name wise, so he was again renamed to just Diddy Kong.

Top Bottom