• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Strategy discussion.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
This thread is dedicated to the exclusive use for Kirby strategy, tactics, and mind games (Both advance and basic) as well as getting the absolute most use out of every single one of his moves.

This is not the match up thread or the Kirby general discussion. As Kirby general is for general stuff while match ups is for how to play against specific characters. This is a strategy thread.

I would as I am first post like to start off the topic, Kirby edge guarding tactics: to get the most use out of Kirby's tools for the purpose there of. I am hoping to look beyond the obvious Bair and Dair and look at all of our options.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Dair is good for knocking them straight down off the edge but in terms of edge guarding it seems most useable as a way of sniping Firefox. There's always Fsmash just before they hit the ledge but that seems a bit basic too.
Swallowcide can be the final nail in the coffin if you're taking too much damage in an offstage fight, once they've hit you a bit away so most of their attacks can't reach you through Inhale.

My personally favourite trick though is that there seems to be a magical percentage where, Fox atleast, unless he fast falls or something, can be Utilted straight out of a Dair (knocking him offstage with the Dair) and then that can e followed up on with a jump into another Dair which KOs straight down with no ecape possible. Thus eliminating the need for edgeguarding.
It's a one use trick pretty much or they'll see it coming and probably totally own you. Also, it only works at about 55-65% so it's rare that it happens but sure awesome when it does.

Van.

Smash Ace
If you mean swallowing him off stage, that's called air gaurding. Sorry if that term isn't standard anymore, but it was in the Kirby guide, so I kind of assumed it was used here.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Don't feel like writing too much atm.
Kirby is hella hard to play if you don't get him, CF, Marth and Kirby feels natural for me.. so I never feel like it's something wrong with him..
I could take out any of these in a tourney match without regret..
Kirby is basicly built up atm with gimmick and people only use them, I haven't seen anyone playing him tourney stylewise or **** style..

Anywho strategies I would recommend is DD'ing and grabgames, Kirby got hands down one of the best grabgames.. every character that challenge him in this aspect can get owned by a simple duck or getting outgrabbed.
So I cannot stress this enough, get the Marth person out you'll need to get the grab mind out.
When you get a grab almost always backthrow the first frame you can, because they will not be able to break out in time if you do it asap and if they do you will probably be in advantage anyways.
Dthrow Fox and Falco's + other characters and techchase them..
Don't be afraid to dthrow people that can punish you for it, some people don't know about it or try to abuse it 'always' so if you do it at a higher % when you'll be able to shield their punish you'll be able to get a punish from their punish.

His utilt, ftilt, jab is easily his best moves on the ground.. his fsmash and upsmash are good too, but not used so often.. upsmash is mostly used as a punish against sheiks lag on upB or random punishes.
Fsmash is a finisher but I seldom kill with it, but first hit with fair to fsmash is awesome on floaties(as it combos) and it works on fastfallers too if they miss their tech/tech in place(that hitbox is out for awhile).

Defensive wavedashing aka waveshielding is too good with Kirby, since he got a 3frame jump + a low posture when he WD's + his shield is good. you can waveshield around when you feel insecure or if you're trying to get him to attack.. WD's to pivot utilt is godsent too.

Combos well strong utilt to strong to weak to weak to bair is great, and if they DI then WD after and keep utilt(yeah I know you have never seen this before, but it's possible)..
Utilt to bair asap to grab is awesome too..
Bair to fair or bair to WD bair is good too..
I can keep listing different combos that's viable but all of these you should know by know.
that's it I guess I wrote alot anyways..
(1 hit dairing a fox/falcos upB at the ledge to slipoff/WD off to inhale for the GAME is awesome)

Triple R

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that feels like I'm getting insulted when I read Nizro's posts? Lol

Those combos at the end, I'm assuming those are on fastfallers for the most part? If so I'm slightly confused. Utilt shenanigans make sense. Utilt to bair to grab is confusing. I'm assuming you mean falling bair to grab? Bair to bair/fair on fastfallers doesn't seem likely on fastfallers. I could only see it working if they DI up instead of away. Clarification would be appreciated.

Top Bottom