• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Smash: Ken's Marth Discussion & Video Archive

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
(I made a new topic. The old one had a glitch.)

For those who might be new, this archive features Ken. His main is Marth, and from 2003 to 2007 was the most dominate player. He first appeared in 2003 at TG4, and although he's had his fair share of losses, he was the most consistant player during his reign. He pioneered a lot of tactics still used to day, such as dash dancing, and the "Ken Combo",and set the standard for Marth play. He was well known for not being easily shaken, and for his aggressive play style. After 2007, he started playing less and less before finally retiring.

He resurfaced again in 2012, but he is no longer dominate as he was when he first appeared. A lot of it seems to be attributed to the fiercer competition; there are many more great players today than during Ken's prime. Also the average tech skill level of players is a lot higher, and a lot of the players today have many years of experience under their belts, and their reactions are more well defined. Still, Ken has held his own even against some of the elite players, and the strong mental he's legendary for is still intact. Infact, many in the community consider Ken as of right now as being even better than when he was in his prime. Overall, even though he hasn't won any big tournaments since his return, and lacks the dominance during his reign, the reaction to his return is mostly positive. His unique play style is enjoyable to watch, and it's hard to find a match with Ken without hearing cheers when he lands a Ken Combo.

I started this topic because I think his Marth is really unique. I wanted to discuss the things considered to be his strong points, and also try to point out his weak points. Also, I wanted to post videos highlighting each year of his activity. For time(and sanity sake), i'm not going to post every single video out there, but enough to make it a good collection to show his growth as a player since he started playing, and since his return.
Anyway, I encourage all input. A breakdown of his playstyle is encouraged from everyone too.

The Videos

2003 - Ken enters the fray!
Tournament Go 4
Ken (Marth) vs. Sam (Falco) [Money Match]

Background: Ken's first pro tournament appearance, in which he won first place! His style was unlike anything his competition had ever seen, who were shocked by his aggressive style and dash dancing Marth.

Game Over

Losers Quarterfinals
Ken vs Chillin - 2
Ken vs Chillin - 3

Background: Up to this point, Ken was almost proving himself unbeatable. Earlier in this tournament, Ken fell to Chillin. This would mark his first set loss in a tournament, and led to many doubting if he was really that great or just overrated. Ken and Chillin would meet again in losers, and Ken eventually moved on to beat Azen in the tournament finals, removing doubt about his dominance of Smash.

Grand Finals
Ken vs Azen

Background: The start of one of greatest rivalries in Melee history.

The MOAST 3

Grand Finals
Ken vs Isai

Background: Isai was considered the best Falcon player of his time, but was notorious for not always trying his best to win. Allegedly, a girl Isai liked was in the audience watching the finals between himself and Ken, and she was cheering him on to win. This seemed to result in Isai trying his best to win. Although Ken played valiantly in the set, Isai's brutal combos and seemingly superior positioning and technical skill did Ken in.

Jack Garden Tournament

Grand Finals
Ken vs Bombsoldier - 1
Ken vs Bombsoldier - 2
Ken vs Bombsoldier - 3
Ken vs Bombsoldier - 4
Ken vs Bombsoldier - 5
Ken vs Bombsoldier - 6

Background: Ken traveled with some friends to Japan to take part in a tournament. Ken tore through his competition, making it to the grand finals to face off against Bombsoldier, who was unknown to most of the world at the time. Bombsoldier displayed incredible tech skill and devastating combos of a caliber not seen before with Falco, and which nearly overwhelmed Ken.

MLG Dallas

Winner Bracket Finals
Ken vs PC Chris - 1
Ken vs PC Chris - 2
Ken vs PC Chris - 3
Ken vs PC Chris - 4

Background: PC Chris shocked the nation when he defeated Ken previously at MLG Meadowlands in two sets. It seemed like maybe Ken was soon to be over thrown. These two would meet again, and Ken impressively displayed his reinvented style to counter PC Chris's Falco.

NCT2

Grand Finals
Ken vs Forward - Match 3

Background: Damn.
2007 - End of an era
Evolution World 2007

Winners Bracket
Ken vs Mango - 1
Ken vs Mango - 2
Ken vs Mango - 3

???
Ken vs ChuDat - 1
Ken vs ChuDat - 2
Ken vs ChuDat - 3

Losers Bracket Rnd 3
Ken vs PC Chris - 1
Ken vs PC Chris - 1

Losers Finals
Ken vs Mango - 1
Ken vs Mango - 2

Grand Finals Set 1
Ken vs HugS - 1
Ken vs HugS - 2

Grand FInals Set 2
Ken vs HugS - 1
Ken vs HugS - 2
Ken vs HugS - 3

Background: Ken faced Mango in bracket and lost 1-2, sending Ken to losers bracket. What occured after is considered the most dominate and best play ever displayed by Ken, tearing through losers bracket, including convincingly defeating Mango second time around, and eventually emerging champion of the tournament.

2012 - The Return of Ken
Kings of Cali

NorCal vs SoCal Crew Battle
Ken vs PewPewU (skip to 41:20 to view their match)

Background: The return of the King of Smash! He initially returned just to commentate on matches. Mango vs PewPewU concludes with Mango losing his remaining stocks and PewPewU having 3 stocks left. SoCal chants for Ken to enter for SoCal. At first reluctant, Ken finally decides to play on stream for the first time ever. Although visibly rusty, he holds his own against one of the best Marth players in the US.
Kings of Cali 3

Singles Pools Rnd 2
Ken vs Fly Amanita

Background: One of the greatest comebacks in Ken's career.

Singles Bracket
Ken vs PewPewU

Background: Hype Marth duel! Ken gets four stocked, but the real highlight is at the end when PewPewU displays true sportsmanship.

Super Smash Sundays 2/23/2014

???
Ken vs MacD

Background: A close, tense set. Ken shows he's still got it.

SCR 2014

???
Ken vs Axe

Background: Ken is at first outclassed by the worlds best Pikachu, but still shows why hes the king of adaption.

Super Smash Sundays 20

Winners Rnd 2
Ken vs Black Power Ranger

Background: Ken double 4 stocks. Yep.

SKTAR 3

Friendlies
Ken vs KoreanDJ

Background: Blast from the past! Two old rivals go at it in a friendly set.

Singles Bracket
Ken vs The Moon

Background: I believe this is the first time these two have played. Ken's starting to really shows he's a threat to the upper players.

Super Smash Sundays June 15 2014

Pools
Ken vs Sung475

Winners Round 3
Ken vs Lucky

Losers Round 5
Ken vs Mew2King

Background: Ken starting to be a real threat. No video that i'm aware of yet, but Ken beat Westballz for the first time in a best of 3 set.

CEO 27-29 June 2014

Ken vs Armada - 1
Ken vs Armada - 2
Ken vs Armada - 3

Background: A must see set. Armada, the beast from the east, clashes with the original King of Smash.

Kings of Cali 4

aMSa vs Ken

Scar vs Ken

Mango vs Ken

Bizzaro Flame vs Ken

Madman vs Ken

Evo2014

A Rookie vs Ken

Goku X-Treme vs Ken

PPMD vs Ken

Super Smash Sundays 25 (Sept 14th)

Pools
ROFL vs Ken

Background: I won't spoil who wins. This was probably the craziest match of the tournament!

Losers Round 1
Conner vs Ken

Background: close game!

Losers Round 3
Larry Lurr vs Ken

Super Smash Sundays 26(October 12th)

Pools
Ken vs Jace

Top 16
Ken vs Westballz

Background: 6:06 - 6:12.

Top 16
Ken vs S2J

Background: Ken is becoming a threat!

2015 - Ken still has it!
Evo 2015

Losers Bracket
Ken vs. Westballz

Background: Ken shocks the community by not only utterly dismantling Westballz in two games, but seemingly playing at his peak prime. Many question how well Westballz was playing, but no one can argue that for a brief moment Ken seemed to become The King of Smash again.

Miscellaneous

Ken takes the Bowser Challenge

The Smash Bros. Documentary Episode 4 - The King of Smash

SSBM music video "The King of Smash" by bme

Enjoy!

"Hey man, it could go either way." - Ken

Last edited:

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
One major weakpoint I've always seen in Ken's Marth is his flashy edgegaurds. He can just as easily go out and grab ledge or fair instead of charging swordbreaker. Ken still hasn't figured out a way to import his innovation into his edgegaurding

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
So, SKTAR 3 thoughts? I think Ken vs The Moon was strange, totally doable. If Ken just edgeguarded and recovered better he'd win

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
So, SKTAR 3 thoughts? I think Ken vs The Moon was strange, totally doable. If Ken just edgeguarded and recovered better he'd win
I actually want to keep watching the set to see what I can learn from it. The more I watch it the more I think I understand what's going on.

An issue I have with Ken is what he did against Moon, that failed him enough, which was doing an air dodge when he was high up over the edge, which allowed Moon time to space a tipper. At the end of the third match that same decision cost Ken the set. A lot of his sets he does that air dodge, and against the good players it doesn't seem to work out either. I hope he finds a way to avoid air dodging like that in the future.

One thing I noticed from the set was Ken really made use of Foward-B to uptilt. That helped him when The Moon was trying to sidestep him, even if Ken missed, his uptilt would catch him. The Moon didn't seem to have an answer for it.

Also, what helped Ken a lot was that unlike his last tournies, he wasn't trying to abuse full dancing blade. Also, he was really limiting his f-smashing. I think those things helped him from being so vulnerable. Also I think his DI was on point as well.

Ken did good against The Moon, and from what I saw I think they are about equal if you were going to rank them. Although The Moon won the set, I think Ken was the better player overall. The Moon is fast and has good tech, and he is great at setting up tipper kills, but I think Ken is more well rounded and more unorthodox. It's scary how fast Ken is getting good. I'm starting to feel like Ken is going to be top 10 if he keeps it up.

Last edited:

trilok

Smash Apprentice
some time afterwards, kdj 4 stocked the moon in the marth ditto during sktar.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Update: Added matches from Super Smash Sundays from this weekend.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Update:
Added Super Smash Sundays 25.
Added CEO 2014.
Added Ken versus the following players;

vs Larry Lurr
vs Connor
vs ROFL
vs Armada
vs Westballz
vs S2J
vs Jace

Last edited:

samoht

Smash Rookie
Ken said on the sss twitch chat hes done with melee and focusing on ssb4 ;(

AirFair

Marth tho
This is a great idea, now that he's going to quit melee completely. It's good to have an archive of one of the greats.

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
He says he'll come back to melee once ssb4 dies, something along those lines

AirFair

Marth tho
huh. That will probably be awhile. At least there's a chance. Who knows how rusty he will be? it was a little uncomfortable watching him at KoC3 for me.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
The more I watch Ken's recent matches, the more I can see him being a top player again. I just wish he'd use dancing blade more sparingly. He could've beat Westballz recently instead of getting up smashed out of shield. :(

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
it was a little uncomfortable watching him at KoC3 for me.
How so? He made some impressive runs with various players, such as PewPewU and Fly Amanita.

Also, he plays both Melee and SSB4. I think he's just a bit more casual with Melee than he was half a year ago.

AirFair

Marth tho
How so? He made some impressive runs with various players, such as PewPewU and Fly Amanita.

Also, he plays both Melee and SSB4. I think he's just a bit more casual with Melee than he was half a year ago.
Yea, I thought he was a little rusty,so It was kind of weird, but he definitely still has the skills.

Top Bottom