• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Intrepid Adventurer: Mike Jones for DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I tried to run a search for this but I couldn't find a thread so if I'm off or missed it let me know. People think Mike would be a Ness clone but to me this is not the case at all. Mike doesn't use PK moves and only has a generic psychic shock wave introduced in the second of his two games. In Startropics(the first game) he uses lots of items acquired in dungons plus his powered up whip-like yo-yos. I don't think I'll make a full moveset for him but I am going to talk about the options for one.

First and foremost Mike is a pitcher...meaning that he uses alot of throwing attacks and secondly his games were ment to be an update to the Zelda formula. Let's take a look at the items from his games in the context of things for a possible moveset:

Island Yo-yo/Morning Star/Super Nova - At first this seems abit like one of Ness' moves and maybe it starts out that way but the two upgrades(the Morning Star and the Super Nova) are more like chain whips and are Mike's primary weapons in the first game. In the game after they were acquired the set would upgrade or downgrade depending on damage like link's original sword that could shoot when he had full hearts. Evolving them into the modern era I'd probably just stick him with the Super Nova like Link now has the master sword.

Torches- like mario's fireball these emit flames but would probably be more like a pinwheel fireball when thrown(this is how I'd update them)

Bolas- in the game these are used abit like link's bow as generic projectiles in many places. They could be just the same but could be updated to slightly tie up and slow down the other players

Baseball Bat- Mike is not a good hitter like Ness. In Startropics he's alot like Casey at the bat doing a spin attack that usually misses

Wonder Horsehide- building on the pitcher theme we have the old bean ball! A short quick attack from this baseball weapon would probably daze you

Miracle Mirror- ever wanted to bounce back some of those pesky projectiles? Like link's mirror shield that's what this does...in a smash context Mike could pull this out of his pockets like Peach does with Toad...

Spiked Shoes- using these in Startropics has mike jumping about the screen and doing a kick attack. Would be useful in close quarters

Asterisk- two words: Ninja Stars. This can even split off in a couple of directions with a button press in the original game and might make a good high and low attack in SSB

Laser Gun/Super Laser- available in the last couple of Dungeons. Mike actually uses these to shoot. The plan old one shoots out a single beam while the super laser shoots out three(for a wide spread). Next to the Super Nova these are mike's best weapons...and abit more Star Fox than Earthbound!

Snowman Doll- this is the only one of mike's magic items I could see using as a weapon(lanterns that light up the dark and magic wands to see ghosts need not apply). It essentially freezes everything but Mike on the screen. In smash this could be made fairly short but allow you to get in a single cheap shot

Tink's axe/Cleopatra's Dagger/Leonardo's Katana- the replacements for the super nova. not as cool or even as powerful. These are throwing knives and not mele weapons but could be made into those for more close up attacks

Psychic Shockwave- used alot in Startropics 2. when fully powered up it goes the whole length of the screen as a projectile. Downgrades when you take damage to be less powerful and shorter range...probably leave this in unlike the Super Nova

Spike Ball/triple spike ball -there weren't as many weapons in Startropics 2. these are the only interesting ones as they spiral about the screen.

With abit of balancing you could so make a unique moveset out of this stuff...I'm sure

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I would love to be the first supporter! StarTropics is such an underrated and overlooked NES classic. It's really disappointing we haven't seen a third entry in the series after all these years. Here's to hoping a series revival will happen soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom