• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I was using <insert character> before he was cool/good" Smash Hipster Thread

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
So I notice a lot of people like to jump the gun when a new Smash Brothers game comes out.Remember when YouTube comments were filled with "Omg wow so OP, Sakurai stop with the broken characters" during the Palutena reveal? And now she is, tentatively I am sure, regarded as a **** character? I am convinced that in early Smash times, people, including myself, don't know what the hell they are talking about.

The opposite is true as well. A "lowly" or unpopular character rockets up the ranks because people realized strategies to consistently be successful with them (hello Olimar). Competitive people play to win.

I get it and do it. Call be petty, but it irks me to see someone who previously discarded the usefulness of a character, only to hop on the pipe bandwagon because they see people playing that character and winning. Damn opportunists and such.So TL;DR, what are some characters you play as that you foresee gaining popularity because people initially underestimated them, and you were there rocking said character from the beginning?As of now, I find myself doing extremely well with :4sonic: :4shulk: and :4charizard:, all 3 who I rarely see online or spoken highly of (though I have heard some quips about Charizard recently). Shulk specifically I think will gain popularity once the rest of the people get used to the idea of switching Buffs on the fly.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I've mained Bowser since Melee, and I've had people gripe to me that I use him in SSB4 because he's OP. I feel like I'm gonna deal with a lot of this in the coming years. But I've paid my dues maining a bottom-tier for 10 years. I can use him if I damn well please.

Shog

Smash Ace
This thread shows what is wrong about hipster in general. Here is the living proof. Observe it, and learn from its mistakes.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
Zero Suit Samus.
Played her when Brawl first came out, really.

(She was always strong but never Smash 4 strong)

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I've mained Bowser since Melee, and I've had people gripe to me that I use him in SSB4 because he's OP. I feel like I'm gonna deal with a lot of this in the coming years. But I've paid my dues maining a bottom-tier for 10 years. I can use him if I damn well please.
I'm still waiting for zelda to become broken, although I get the feeling I'm gonna be waiting a while

But Either way I don't really care, I just play with characters I like, that's why I like Zelda, Ike, Lucario etc

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I'm still waiting for zelda to become broken.
Dude, there is a collection of Smash players who think Zelda is OP. My friend (whom I play smash with (also the biggest John ever)) is one of those people.
It's quite amusing the first time you hear it, but it's quite annoying too when you're told that your character is OP over and over. Especially when it's not true.

Problem_GASH

Smash Rookie
From the moment Meta Knight was revealed to be in Brawl, I wanted to main him. I set my mind on it regardless of how good or bad he was. Brawl is released, MK is super stronk, all my friends complain nonstop when I play him, and I ultimately had to give up on my main man. Now that Smash 3DS is here and he's incredibly nerfed, I can play him all I want and it's been fantastic.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
Yoshi, hands down.:4yoshi:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I guess, :4link:? I'm a fan of The Legend of Zelda so... Anyway, I was a kid who didn't care who was good or not back then with 64 and Melee. All I saw was my favorite character and hero; I had to play as him.

I still played as him in Brawl even after noticing his sluggishness. :4link:'s just a part of my childhood.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Dude, there is a collection of Smash players who think Zelda is OP. My friend (whom I play smash with (also the biggest John ever)) is one of those people.
It's quite amusing the first time you hear it, but it's quite annoying too when you're told that your character is OP over and over. Especially when it's not true.
Zelda's not completly broken or anything, but she is at least viable. She has a lot more KO power and speed than she used to have.

Top Bottom