• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I want to create a game!" thread

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Intro:

I’ve seen your interest on making a game. Everyone wanted at least once in his life to create his own game. Well, here you’ll find the help that you need. It starts with knowledge on programming first.

Do you know a language? (don’t tell me “Yes, English!”, ‘cause I know :laugh:). I’m talking about coding language.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, read this:

Our good friend Wikipedia said:
Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding) is the process of writing, testing, and maintaining the source code of computer programs. The source code is written in a programming language. This code may be a modification of existing source or something completely new, the purpose being to create a program that exhibits the desired behavior. The process of writing source code requires expertise in many different subjects, including knowledge of the application domain, specialized algorithms, and formal logic.
Programming isn’t essential to make your game, but it makes things easier for sure.
Now that you’ve read this, lets start!

What you need:

-a PC.
-Skills on programming (optional).
-The will to learn and BE PATIENT (the most important of all).

1) Now, just think what you want to do… an action game? a RPG game? a puzzle game? maybe an adventure game?
2) After that, figure out the story, characters, background, gameplay, etc.
3) Finally you have to choose the language to program what you have in mind.

You have programming skills?: then Python or C++ is your choice.

You don't have programming skills (or wanna try something easier?): then, here is a list of free of charge engines with a brief explanation of each one.
(Have in mind that some of them needs a little of programming knowledge, others don't. Choose the one that adapts better to your idea).

Free of charge engines:

Adventure Game Studio - Mainly used to develop third-person pre-rendered adventure games, this engine is one of the most popular for developing amateur adventure games.
Agar (engine) - A high-level graphical application framework used by 2D and 3D computer games.
Allegro library - A free crossplatform C/C++ game programming library, provides functions for graphics, sounds, input, timers, fixed and floating point, 3d, compressed datafile and a GUI.
Axiom Engine - A fork containing the core of the OGRE graphics engine.
Baja Engine - Professional quality engine used for the game The Lost Mansion.
Boom - A port of the Doom source code by TeamTNT.
Build engine - A first-person shooter engine used to power Duke Nukem 3D.
BYOND - Short for "Build Your Own Net Dream." Makes various genres of games, including MOGs.Coding, mapping,drawing and testing are all done in one program very simple to use.
Catmother - A BSD-licensed engine from a company that open-sourced its code when it closed the business.
CheapHack - An outdated TomazQuake derived engine.
Crystal Entity Layer - An extension of the Crystal Space 3D Engine.
Crystal Space - A general framework for developing 3D applications.
Cube - Powers the computer game of the same name.
DarkPlaces - One of the most advanced free software Quake engines.
Daybreak motor - Flexible, object-oriented graphics rendering engine for .NET and XNA (XNA 3D Engine) http://www.daybreak.ru.
Delta3d - Integrates other well-known free software projects into an easy-to-use API, originally developed by the U.S. Navy (WOW!).
DGD - An object-oriented programmable MUD engine.
Dim3 - although not well-known and developing is macintosh-only, games can be played on Mac, Windows and Linux.
Doom engine - The now free software engine originally used for the hugely popular Doom and Doom II.
DXFramework - A simple, pedagogical 2D/3D DirectX-based game engine for Visual Studio.
DX Studio - Real-time professional 3D engine and editing suite produced by Worldweaver Ltd.
Epee Engine - Is a 2D graphics engine with beginning programmers in mind.
Eternity Engine - A source port of the Doom engine.
Exult - A free software reimplementation of the Ultima VII game engine.
FIFE - A free software 2D ISO engine supporting the assets of Fallout 1 & 2.
Game Blender - A sub-application of Blender for creating games.
Game Maker - Object-oriented game development software with drag-and-drop interface and its own scripting language.
GQ - A Quake engine that adds features from TomazQuake and DarkPlaces.
GZDoom - A source port of the Doom engine based on ZDoom.
Genesis3D - A real-time 3D engine for Windows.
GemRB - A free software implementation of the Infinity Engine.
Horde3D - A lightweight next-generation graphics engine.
id Tech 2 - Formerly known as the Quake II engine, the original open-source engine from id Software.
id Tech 3 - Formerly known as the Quake III engine, the original open-source engine from id Software.
Irrlicht Engine - A cross-platform and lightweight three dimensional graphics engine.
jMonkeyEngine - An open-source, BSD licensed Java scenegraph engine.
Joge - is a platform to develop 2D game in Java.
Jogre - a Java based client/server game engine and API for online real time games such as chess, checkers, etc.
KallistiOS - a free, BSD licensed development library for the Sega Dreamcast, by Dan Potter.
KonsolScript - opensource scripting language primarily intended for writing desktop 2D games by Mj Mendoza IV.
M.U.G.E.N - A 2D fighting game engine. A must if you want to create a fighting game.
Multiverse Network - an MMOG platform, including server, client, and tools. (Free for development and use--revenue sharing upon commercial deployment).
Nebula Device - A realtime 3D game engine developed by German game studio Radon Labs.
OctLight - A Java game engine that uses scene-graph and renders on top of Lightweight Java Game Library (LWJGL) using OpenGL.
Open Game Engine - is an open source library combining the components used to make games.
OGRE Engine - A very popular object-oriented graphics rendering engine. Also called OGRE3D.
Panda3d - A relatively easy to use python-driven game engine.
Pentagram - A project to create a game engine that is capable of running Ultima VIII: Pagan.
PLIB - A game engine - includes 3D, Audio, Music, GUI, Window manager and is portable Linux/Windows/MacOSX.
ProQuake - A modified Quake engine.
RealmForge - An open-source game engine for the Microsoft .NET Framework, predecessor to Visual3D.NET.
Retribution Engine - A game engine to make first person shooter games.
Sauerbraten - A upgraded engine forked from the Cube engine.
Sploder - A Free Web-Based Flash Game Maker (in Beta).
Stratagus - A cross-platform real time strategy game engine.
Telejano - a modified Quake engine.
Tenebrae - One of many Quake engine clones.
vbGORE - Open source MMORPG engine in Visual Basic 6.
World Builder - A pre-MacOS X game engine.
XtremeWorlds - a simple, and widely used 2D Online RPG Engine for Windows only.
Wintermute Engine - A runtime and development tools for creating 2D and 2.5D point'n'click adventure games.

Wanna create a monkey island-like game? then Wintermute Engine is for you.

M.U.G.E.N. With customizable characters, backgrounds, attacks sounds, music, etc.
is well known as one of the best engines for a fighting game.

A shooter game? Then the Doom engine is for you. Also, discover how this game
was created. A must.​

Closing comments:

Making a game takes time. It will take you days, months... even years! But there's nothing to wait for. Just pick one of the engines stated above, follow the instructions on how to use it (Here you can find it) and let your game come true!

If you have any questions, just ask!

Edit: Fixed spelling! and Programming tutorials suggested by snoblo.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
this thread=win :)

Making a game takes time. It will take you days, months... even years!
Ha you'll be giving them too much hope it you say it might take days, since many have never made a game before, and have insanely complex game ideas :laugh:

You made a typo with python, but i'm just being picky =P

Overall, nice thread. Also, I think that people would benefit from a programming tutorial to get them started.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
this thread=win :)

Overall, nice thread. Also, I think that people would benefit from a programming tutorial to get them started.
thanks snoblo! I'll update this thread if I find new game engines.

VERY COOL THREAD!

i think i'm going to start my own game right away!

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, That's the idea. If you have any question just ask!

InsaneMonkey

Smash Cadet
C# (C Sharp) is starting to rise over C++, so it wouldn't hurt programmers to learn both C++ and C#. Knowing Java would be benificial as well.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
great thread mabye i will start making a game!!! thanks!
Hey thanks! Hope you can do it! then you can show your work here.

C# (C Sharp) is starting to rise over C++, so it wouldn't hurt programmers to learn both C++ and C#. Knowing Java would be benificial as well.
C# and C++ are practically the same, objects is the biggest difference there. Java is common, but C is fastest in performance (because the lack of multiplatform support, which provides Java).

Jammer

Smash Lord
I just wanted to say that Game Maker took away about 3 years of my life when I was 10-13 years old.

Mark Overmars is my hero.

Game Maker is probably the best game making tool for beginners and intermediates. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Hmm....it looks like Yoyo Games has taken over Game Maker. http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

marthsword

Smash Ace
Cool thread. I consider myself a very advanced Actionscript 2.0/3.0 Programmer. I program games for artists and profit. Actionscript is the Adobe/Macromedia Flash programming language, I recommend it to any beginners, as its very simple. Anyone familiar with javascript/ECMAScript will understand it. Many programmers move up to C/C++ once they learn it, as actionscript is a simplified version of that.

Anyway, nice job. I'm currently learning Java, and it's pretty fun. And programming is the most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are optional).

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
I just wanted to say that Game Maker took away about 3 years of my life when I was 10-13 years old.
Hey you learned programming skills at least!

Game Maker is probably the best game making tool for beginners and intermediates. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested.
Thanks for the advice.

Cool thread. I consider myself a very advanced Actionscript 2.0/3.0 Programmer. I program games for artists and profit. Actionscript is the Adobe/Macromedia Flash programming language, I recommend it to any beginners, as its very simple. Anyone familiar with javascript/ECMAScript will understand it. Many programmers move up to C/C++ once they learn it, as actionscript is a simplified version of that.

Anyway, nice job. I'm currently learning Java, and it's pretty fun. And programming is the most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are optional).
Thanks! I've tried to put things clear. Programming is fun but it requires time.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Hey you learned programming skills at least!
Well, actually I mostly did the drag-n-drop stuff that Game Maker has. I did learn GML (Game Maker Language), though, and I made a pretty sweet RTS using mostly scripts. But I knew how to program since I was about 7, and I was using OOP since I was about 9.

I have yet to make a complete game out of just C++ code, besides just a simple memory game where you match the cards and a couple OpenGL demos.

I wish I still felt the curiosity and excitement that I had about programming, especially making games, a few years ago. I haven't touched a IDE for a few years now.

Jammer

Smash Lord
You think python is just as viable a game language as C++? I was to understand that it was really slow... What do you think about python compared to VB or Java? Good thread.
Python isn't bad at all. It's practically everywhere in Ubuntu, and probably other Linux distributions as well.

It's not slow at all. Compiled, it's comparable to VB and Java and C#. I'd say that, even when interpreted, it's at least a quarter as fast as C++ for stuff like file IO. It's also much simpler.

There are several games made out of Python. It's a nice, quick and dirty language for getting things done.

That being said, I would still recommend C++ as the language of choice for making video games. But Python is great for small games where ultimate speed isn't necessary.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
You think python is just as viable a game language as C++? I was to understand that it was really slow... What do you think about python compared to VB or Java? Good thread.
Python for starters, but if you want to go serious C++ is the choice. Almost all games are made by a variant of C, so, having that in mind, If developers choose C it's for something.

Like Jammer said, C++ is faster, but VB is easy, so it depends on what do you want. Do you have time to program? C++, you don't? VB, do you want it to run in any PC? Java then.

Python is the last choice (slower, limited and awkward if you want to go really serious, like a Nintendo game), but it's easier than any of the above languages.

DaBearX

Smash Journeyman
Hey, can anyone help me with a problem like this?

Hey guys, haven't been around in a while and I'm looking for some help. Hopefully a topic like this hasn't already been covered.

I'm working in Java to develop an 3D OpenGL application. My associates are using 3ds Max to generate assets (textured models and animations). I am trying to write a loader for .3ds files or find shareware to do it for me with good documentation and/or tutorials as I am a huge novice. Can anyone give me recommendations to one they know of?

I found a reasonably simple C++ loader and was trying to port it but it relies heavily on unsigned simple types which java does not support (mainly having trouble trying to access overflown indeces in matrices). Any java guru's know a way around that?

Having been unable to find a model loader I could easily change to fit my needs I intend to modify the C++ loader to instead convert .3ds files to .txt files that I can read into a java application and use. Is this just a silly idea?

Thanks in advance gents,
Bear

Moneyman228

Smash Cadet
This page = Bookmarked + Saved to harddrive.

I've always wanted to make games! I have Rpg Maker 1, 2, 2000, 2003, and XP! As well I have game maker. Thanks for posting all these game making tools, I used to think RPG Maker/Gmaker were the only game design tools out there! Time to start checking the tools out.

BTW: Have you heard of Eclipse? Its a small, easy, drag/drop mmorpg maker, I downloaded it once but never really used it. Don't now if its still around.

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
Well it's about **** f--- time somebody came in here place was dead for the past 2 to 3 years. Hell even when I was (R.W.C.) on here found it very difficult being myself also limited in programming... Well thanks Eight Sage for everything especially creating more than one important thread contributing alot.

I'm almost through with C++ Laters!

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
Well it's about **** f--- time somebody came in here place was dead for the past 2 to 3 years. Hell even when I was (R.W.C.) on here found it very difficult being myself also limited in programming... Well thanks Eight Sage for everything especially creating more than one important thread contributing alot.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
This page = Bookmarked + Saved to harddrive.

I've always wanted to make games! I have Rpg Maker 1, 2, 2000, 2003, and XP! As well I have game maker. Thanks for posting all these game making tools, I used to think RPG Maker/Gmaker were the only game design tools out there! Time to start checking the tools out.
Rpg maker? If you can, show us images of your work! so others can follow your steps.

Thanks for the compliments SmashChamp.

I want the Computer Café to be active too! I think We did something, and I said We because I'm not the only one trying to make the best here:

snoblo, nealdt, GOTM, AltF4Warrior and others are helping a lot here. We're like a group.

on a side note... I've found this
http://blogs.ign.com/Nanostray2/2007/12/12/74128/

a blog from a game creator that shows his Game Engine. Doing a game is like a photoshop work it seems...

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
BTW: Have you heard of Eclipse? Its a small, easy, drag/drop mmorpg maker, I downloaded it once but never really used it. Don't now if its still around.
Do you mean this?

haha, and thanks Eight Sage for mentioning me =) I feel deeply honored :)

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
Ah, you left out a very good one for beginners: Dark Basic. Its really good for beginners.

Ganky

Smash Rookie
can anyone get me a link for the real M.U.G.E.N. engine? i keep finding weird versions.
bah my google skills suck.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow, this topic is quite horrible. Those "engines" you listed are game creating tools, not actual game engines. Game engines either cost money, or require changes to the coding to do what you wish. Secondly, the "MMORPG" maker is not an MMORPG maker. It's an RPG maker with the focus on the online which is a whole other beast on it's own.

Topics like this really disgust me because I was so gung-ho about making a game when I didn't realize the people that actually made games work 10,000 times harder than even the most difficult one here makes you. They get paid very poorly at first, and many just all out fail.

To make a game, programming language is a must, to say otherwise, is pure ignorance.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
Wow, this topic is quite horrible.
CK you're the only one who thinks this, isn't that weird? If you didn't found what you were looking for, don't blame the topic!

Maybe you have strong reasons to think this:

Those "engines" you listed are game creating tools, not actual game engines. Game engines either cost money, or require changes to the coding to do what you wish.

Secondly, the "MMORPG" maker is not an MMORPG maker. It's an RPG maker with the focus on the online which is a whole other beast on it's own.

I don't know who to believe, the creators of Eclipse or you?

Topics like this really disgust me because I was so gung-ho about making a game when I didn't realize the people that actually made games work 10,000 times harder than even the most difficult one here makes you. They get paid very poorly at first, and many just all out fail.
CK that's nothing new. We all know making a game takes a LOT of effort. I mean, I know this more than you think. My first game was a pong like one and took me about 6 months to do it with colors, score, game mechanics, etc on C++.

Programming is really needed if you want to do something good. But you can make games without having programming skills like now there's software who writes the code for you.

Remember this is a basic guide, if you were trying to get how Nintendo makes games, I wouldn't be here (However, I know how a GBA game is made)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yep, Wikipedia is a viable resource which never misnames items.

And the creates would never give you software unless it did everything for you.

I've been there. I've done pretty much all of this and MUCH MUCH more. I'm tired of seeing posts with people saying "Well I am working on a game and we are using RPG maker..." Way to trivialize an industry that's on the declined because of hard work days, very low pay, and very little reward.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
trust wiki or not, if you go to the pages of any of the engines stated above, they say it's an engine.

I've been there. I've done pretty much all of this and MUCH MUCH more. I'm tired of seeing posts with people saying "Well I am working on a game and we are using RPG maker..." Way to trivialize an industry that's on the declined because of hard work days, very low pay, and very little reward.
I guess when they say "I'm making a game" they are actually making a game, the difference is that they don't start from scratch, they have the characters, scenarios, mechanics, etc. done, the only thing that differs is the way of mixing up this stuff.

Obviously, creating your own game is very different from a commercial game, where they have his own software and there are specific group of people for sound, enemy programming, effects design, modeling, characters animation, producer, director, sub-director, etc.

can anyone get me a link for the real M.U.G.E.N. engine? i keep finding weird versions.
bah my google skills suck.
You can find that and much more here:

http://www.blazeinc.ucoz.com/
http://www.mugenfury.com/tutorials/aides/help.htm

there are video tutorials as well ;)

I T I

Smash Apprentice
First of all, I love you for making this thread Eight Sage.

However, that out of the way, I can't BELIEVE you neglected to mention The Games Factory and Multimedia Fusion (I believe they're both v2 by now) by Clickteam. These took several years of my life, and are more awesome than can be described by words.

Free month-long trials are available.

Link to the Clickteam site here:
http://www.clickteam.com/eng/index.php

And a link to a fansite, on which users post their games and discuss the programs/etc:
http://create-games.com/home.asp

These programs do 2d games only, but offer you pretty much unlimited freedom- especially if you begin using plugins. I strongly recommend that you download a few of the top games here to see a bit of what they're capable of:
http://create-games.com/downloads.asp

the_dannobot

Smash Rookie
Hi, I've made a few games on my own, including some fighting games and smash clones. If anybody is making a game and needs some technical help with stuff, I could probably give some suggestions :)

DaBearX

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone.

Revisiting this thread for the first time in some time. How is everyone doing? Over the last year I've actually been working on a couple of projects in XNA Game Studio 2.0, here are some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SANQFTtdpqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KHaDJ0hlk

PercussONE I'm still actively working on -- submitted to a contest (Dream Build Play) and hopefully will submit to another (*cough* IGF *cough). Wish me luck :p

Anyone else here an XNA Creator's Club Member (i.e. a traitor with an XBOX)?

Any other recent projects to show and tell out there?

Bear

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
This is an awesome thread. I've always wanted to learn a programming language and make my own game. Maybe I'll go make an awesome game =D

Overload

Smash Lord
I've played around with game maker and things but if I'm going to create a game I want to learn a language. Which is why I'm currently learning BlitzBasic. I am also doing my senior project on game programming and plan to have a clone of breakout by the end of the year.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Nice thread, I made a fairly simple "RPG battle simulator" using Java during my senior year of high school.

It was pretty complex at the time, with lots of formulas and stuff to calculate damage and whatnot. We never had time to add graphics though.

I kinda would like to get back into that one day...this is a good thread to start with!

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
First of all, just ignore Crimson King, your thread is very helpful. Secondly... I've noticed that RPG Maker is not on the list. Though it uses it's own scripting (I know old ones used ASCII and the Vista version uses a new one called Ruby), it is easy to use and there have been many who've utilized it. Do you think that some of the other engines are better for making offline RPG's?

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
Pfft. That's Crimson for you can't expect anythin better; Disgruntled employees tend to be that way. Anyway wb Bear, had watched the video and must say that it's very impressive. Did you ever go all the way to finals, if not continue to work on the game. Has hat nice bejewel effect, plus with Three dimensional rotations an instant addiction; nuff said! Where's eightsage , he's been m.i.a. for far to long.

Top Bottom