• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hookshot-Cancel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I made a thread in the general Brawl section but it'll probably get lost in the spam and I wanted to alert the players of the characters involved in general, which is why I'm making separate threads for the character specific sections. The mods are free to lock them if they feel them unnecessary, but I thought it important to in particular inform the people who intend to play as Lucas, Toon Link, Link and/or Samus.

The new broken technique is here!

I already mentioned it in a thread, but I think it's important enough to warrant its own thread.

Every single character with an Aerial Z ledge-grapping technique can cancel it! How? It's simple, simply land while doing it and the beam/hook/snake will simply disappear, leaving behind zero lag (except for the four frames of landing animation).

It's just like the Float Cancel, only, you know, without the float!

Indeed, Link, Toon Link, Samus and Lucas players should all rejoice. You're no longer wide open should you accidentally do an aerial Z. Lucas doesn't gain that much from this as the others, though, since his snake doesn't have a hitbox when performed in the air. The others' attacks do, so they could throw it out for a quick shield pressure, cancel it and then go from there.

We need a collective name for it, though. Any votes?

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
How much knockback and percentage does the hookshot do?

Agent 1337

Smash Apprentice
I'd say a cool name for it would be, "Whip-landing," as the Hookshot is kind of a whip and "landing" would be in the strategy, but I want to know how much the hookshot does to see if it's even usable as an attack.

Moochero

Smash Cadet
Seems like a pretty nice find:) I'll have to try that out when I get home from school and as for names, I kind of like whip landing, although tether landing makes more sense to me.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
does this mean we can substitute this as some sort of lag cancel?

as in, short hop> attack> upon landing use hookshot?

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
does this mean we can substitute this as some sort of lag cancel?

as in, short hop> attack> upon landing use hookshot?
Well, if you can cancel the aerials with this, so yes.
Otherwise this is a non-attack landing cancel exclusive for Link, TLink, Samus and Lucas.

Also I think that Z-Tether Cancel is a suitable name, or just Z-Cancel.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
~Kizzu:

Yes, I was thinking Z-Cancel as well, But I'm not a fan of coining names. And yeah, I hope to see some footage on this, it'd up the gameplay for these grappling characters.

HiIH

Smash Lord
It's become known by the acronym as TACTICS from the Link boards.

Look up the thread with the same name so you can also use that *****in name.

vato_break

Smash Master
If you can z-cancel people might become confused because the original l-cancel was called z-cancel so therfor it would confuse people
mabe G-air(grab-air)cancel?

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
I'd say a cool name for it would be, "Whip-landing," as the Hookshot is kind of a whip and "landing" would be in the strategy, but I want to know how much the hookshot does to see if it's even usable as an attack.

Why the hell do we need a "cool" name for it? Just call it what it is. A tether cancel, or nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom