• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The History of Competitive Smash (Warning: Long Read)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I see pics of him on 4chan even lol

D

Deleted member

64 is the epitome of *** hole gameplay when playing to win

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^meh I disagree. I actually think that's Melee lol. Both purdy gay doe...

Also M2K is definitely the most famous smasher.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think you guys need to comprehend just how many 13 million weekly viewers is for 3 months straight compared to just being famous to online competitive gaming communities (and a picture meme). M2K has definately risen and is probably the most well known outside of Ken, but Ken easily takes the cake with multiple MLG championships, a world championship, and an EVO championship in addition to his time on Survivor. M2K has never been in front of an audience of 20,000, must less 13,000,000.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
thats something outside of smash. Within the smash community m2k is without a doubt the most well known, and the msot deserving of the best smasher title.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Brawl: The next step in Smash. The competitive scene moved onto Brawl, which resulted in a decline of Melee in 2008. After 2008, Melee emerged again as a separate entity (and largely anti-Brawl) while Brawl trudged along. Brawl introduced gliding, removed directional air dodges, removed light shielding, added auto-grabbing, increased the grab box for edges while adding a long edge invincibility advantage that continues even after edge release(very annoying and resulting into near-broken edge play for some characters), added Smashballs (not used in tournaments), and otherwise there were very small things that varied by character. Brawl has the most polarity between characters. One character (Meta Knight) stood leaps and bounds over the rest, with only 2, maybe 3, even having close to even match ups with the character. The next tier though is relatively balanced and holds about 4-6 viable characters. Disregarding the issues Meta Knight creates, the lower tiers in Brawl have a higher performance than Melee, but on the whole the game is less balanced than it’s predecessor. At current the URC has over 10 stages, but some tournaments run with as few as 6-7, and some still run with 15+, too.
Edge invincibility frames after edge release was introduced in Melee, not Brawl.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I interpreted it as Brawl having more invincibility frames than Melee, though I'm not sure if that's even the case.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't have Melee's on-hand;

Brawl's involves the following:

Pikachu
Invincibility Frames - 34
Ledge Grab Lag Frames - 12
Ledge Drop Frame - 14