• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Looking forward to seeing this Retro Underdogs server, even if Discord is a bit fast-paced for me.

By the way, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan - I've noticed under the Ronin Supporters that I've been listed twice - I thought you might want to know so it can be fixed - also as much as I remember Cyborg 009 from Toonami - my handle ends with 007. Just hoping to clarify a few things.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
What if like Pit; Takamaru ended up getting a brand new game?

Would you want it to play like the newer Legend of Zeldas? (Twilight Princess as an example.)

Do you think Takamaru will get a slight redesign like Pit did?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Added. Welcome to the clan.

Would you want it to play like the newer Legend of Zeldas? (Twilight Princess as an example.)

That's kind of what we would expect, a slight redesigns to fretting him up from the same one he always had.

As far as a new game, we all been kind of hoping on that. Though Kamiya doesn't know when he would make a new game. Unless he's tired of "Smash idiots" or Nintendo fans as a whole.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Looking forward to seeing this Retro Underdogs server, even if Discord is a bit fast-paced for me.

By the way, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan - I've noticed under the Ronin Supporters that I've been listed twice - I thought you might want to know so it can be fixed - also as much as I remember Cyborg 009 from Toonami - my handle ends with 007. Just hoping to clarify a few things.
It seems like its fixed for now.

Though yeah. RIP Cyborg 009 joke.

I would say that Nintendo themselves would have to be the one to make a new Takamaru game since Kamiya is off in his own little world.

I would personally prefer a more traditional action game since Nintendo has few of those. More like the modern Ninja Gaiden games, difficulty and all.

And I think we all agree that he will get a slight redesign. lol

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well ronins, the moment you all been waiting for, the Smash Underdogs server is now complete. I made sure to make a channel for all retros featured in the server's icon (well placeholder icon). That means there is something for everyone, someone can talk about Takamaru in one channel, while people can talk StarTropics in another.

There are also smaller channels for general Smash speculation, bot stuff, fanart, videos, and off-topic stuff. Though yeah. Anyone is welcome if they want to show support for their favorite characters and people can feel free to invite anyone.

We can hope that this will be a fun little community and a great way to push support for these classic characters for Smash.

https://discord.gg/tY4HaBB

D

Deleted member

So fellow ronins, I've been thinking long and hard about things and I would like to say it's time for us to make our very own Takamaru Discord Server.

Not because it would be another way for us to hang out. But it's to aggressively push the idea of Takamaru as a fighter or discuss many ways we would like to see our own revival for the Mysterious Murasame Castle. There will be a general Smash speculation channel and some stuff for fanart. Off topic is needed to since we don't want anyone to feel completely alienated.

If the Kutthroats and Bomberman fans can have a Discord server, so can we.

How many of you would be up for it happened this week?
I'm up for that.
I'm not big on the idea of a retro character focused discord server however. Takamaru is pretty much the only one I care about.

Edit: :079:

Last edited by a moderator:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Do you guys have some ideas for a stage?

i'm really into samurai era japan stages.
I am really hoping for some sort of "fight on the rooftops of Murasame Castle" kind of thing. It could be a stage that transitions between day and night and during the day it's peaceful and calm with a serene aesthetic (think cherry blossoms in the breeze, a good view of the overall area with the four other castles in the distance) but then as it gets closer to deep night, things like the blossoms all wilt, the air gets foul and you see the lightning bolt strike the top of the castle similarly to the opening of the Famicom game. All this is done to suggest something is wrong within the castle proper.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Funny now that you mention it, I created a server icon for the Smash Underdogs server myself.

So far I featured the few supporters that can be in the same server as us. This is a nice line up of all characters together.

All criticisms or feedback is welcome because I want to look nice enough for everyone.

Nice picture, although it's missing a key component, I'm sure you're already aware of who, I'm talking about...

*cough*
*cough*
Stanley the Bugman, of course.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan I can see what I can do about that icon when I'm not extremely busy. Working on a video game is tough and strenuous work I tell ya.
Actually, Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro is working on it for now.

So you don't have to worry about a thing.

Do you guys have some ideas for a stage?

i'm really into samurai era japan stages.
There are many locations they can choose really. Though they are all the four main castles and the final one.

Murasame Castle, Aosame Castle, Momosame Castle, Akasame Castle, and Ryokusame Castle.

Though Sakurai may choose Murasame Castle because it's in the title and at least stands out from the other four castles on its own. It's the final castle after all.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Looking back at a certain Twitter post, up to 45 people want him in Smash. So he's far more popular than he ever was in the past.

I just found this artwork when searching for stuff of Takamaru. I really like it.
https://shimizuryu.deviantart.com/art/Takamaru-655768042
I like it, it's very well drawn.

I could have that as a new avatar.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
The fun part about Twitter retweets right? That's not the only way to tell the excitement for something. Try searching "Takamaru Smash" and going by latest posts. It's really surprising how many folks are out there, even if they aren't all collected together.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The fun part about Twitter retweets right? That's not the only way to tell the excitement for something. Try searching "Takamaru Smash" and going by latest posts. It's really surprising how many folks are out there, even if they aren't all collected together.
I did that and I am amazed at how many Smash fans are open to the character.

Even during the week of Smash Switch's reveal. Glad to see that he has some momentum so far.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I did the same and I am really happy with how many are more open to him as a character compared to Smash 4.

This is why I feel now is the time to add him.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
For those who haven't see it, this is the new icon for the Smash Underdogs server.

I already know some of you will have major gripes about Takamaru going back to the Picture of the Day render for this one. But can we all appreciate the work put into having a beautiful icon with that lovely flaming Smash logo? :p

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
man, when I first saw this thread title I thought it was for Tony Hawk

Look. I'm not saying I'd be against it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
man, when I first saw this thread title I thought it was for Tony Hawk

Look. I'm not saying I'd be against it.
You are cool, that's a funny joke that's work the laugh.

His name literally means "Hawk Warrior" after all.

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
For those who haven't see it, this is the new icon for the Smash Underdogs server.

I already know some of you will have major gripes about Takamaru going back to the Picture of the Day render for this one. But can we all appreciate the work put into having a beautiful icon with that lovely flaming Smash logo? :p
That is nice and all, but it's still missing a character, I'm sure you're aware of. However, if you do not include that said character, I am okay with it I suppose.

Although, since it is based on retro characters alone and the fact that most of us are in support of them. Adding more of them to the picture wouldn't hurt anyone.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That is nice and all, but it's still missing a character, I'm sure you're aware of. However, if you do not include that said character, I am okay with it I suppose.

Although, since it is based on retro characters alone and the fact that most of us are in support of them. Adding more of them to the picture wouldn't hurt anyone.
Anymore more would like clutter up the picture at this rate. lol

And I'm not sure how Afro feel about making another edit that took 2 hours to do.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Seems like I missed some stuff while I was gone. Sorry about that. The server or whatever's going on sounds good to me.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Seems like I missed some stuff while I was gone. Sorry about that. The server or whatever's going on sounds good to me.
It sure is and I can tell you many of the ronins are having a good time in the server now.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
It's been a while, hasn't it? It's good to see everybody. I think I'm too tired to have constant discussion and speculation again (and honestly there isn't much we already hadn't done years ago), but please tell me whenever there's something I can do. For now, add me to the supporter list. Go luck for us.

Two off the top of my head is @Fatmanonice and Marakatu Marakatu . And @Ixbran too.

Though we have far more old ronins I could try recruiting that are in out old group.
Hey, thank you for thinking of me!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And just like that, we are now up to 51 supporters as of now. This is a new milestone since we started having real supporters here. Thank you all.

It's been a while, hasn't it? It's good to see everybody. I think I'm too tired to have constant discussion and speculation again (and honestly there isn't much we already hadn't done years ago), but please tell me whenever there's something I can do. For now, add me to the supporter list. Go luck for us.

Hey, thank you for thinking of me!
I see. If you want to sit things out, then that's alright. We will still think of you moving forward.

Either way, you are back on the support list. Welcome back old friend.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Three cheers for a start of strong support for the amazing samurai Takamaru.

We came a long way since last year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd like Takamaru to become playable, but if he does, I'd want a bit of a revamped design.

Not that the current one is bad, but he's been working off more or less the same aesthetic for thirty+ years. At this point is just seems a little plain imo. Not an overhaul, it need not be as drastic at Pit's, but characters like Mario, Bowser, Link, Peach, Zelda, Samus, etc have had the benefit of decades of design tweaking, and I'd just like Takamaru to be able to catch up a bit.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'd like Takamaru to become playable, but if he does, I'd want a bit of a revamped design.

Not that the current one is bad, but he's been working off more or less the same aesthetic for thirty+ years. At this point is just seems a little plain imo. Not an overhaul, it need not be as drastic at Pit's, but characters like Mario, Bowser, Link, Peach, Zelda, Samus, etc have had the benefit of decades of design tweaking, and I'd just like Takamaru to be able to catch up a bit.
That's fair enough. Some tweaks to make him stand out more would help in making him look less plain.

Not something too crazy like a hairstyle change, but maybe some new additions to his outfit and some armor.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I kinda feel like after seeing this Smashified tweet recently:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

...that Takamaru needs their attention since he'd definitely bring in a lot of curious eyes + a design from the Smashified crew would be really fantastic.

I kinda want Sakurai to scale back the "pretty boy" aspect of the current Smash 4 Takamaru model (maybe a tad more scruffy?) and maybe add like a bit more stylization to him. If they could come up with some halfway point between the Smash 4 base character design and the Captain Rainbow Takamaru's exaggeration, that'd be the most ideal look for him for me. That said, I really like the simplicity of the costume design though. Most I'd want them to do is maybe add the hawk stitching to the back of the red jacket like they did with his Samurai Warriors 3 look.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I kinda feel like after seeing this Smashified tweet recently:

...that Takamaru needs their attention since he'd definitely bring in a lot of curious eyes + a design from the Smashified crew would be really fantastic.
You have no idea how much I'd been requesting a #Smashified of Takamaru.

I will definitely make sure to mention him whenever they make a new video or on Tweets. At least it's something that should bring more attention to him.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Add me as a supporter~

I was really interested in Takamaru during Smash 4's speculation. Unfortunately, the morning after I browsed youtube for Takamaru music and visited his support thread he was announced as an assist trophy in the Pic of the Day. Talk about bad timing :nervous::urg:

I think he would really fit for Smash Bros. after seeing his Assist Trophy in action. I really feel he could get the Little Mac treatment. The samurai boy is my second wanted pick after Bandanna Waddle Dee.

Best of luck guys~

:kirby:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
From the other tweets Smashified made I assumed that Takamaru was one of the requests they found boring. It fits the bill for having not just one, but two modern iterations. I don't think they'd find it too interesting.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Possible Takamaru Mechanics

• Holding the jump button after the first jump, causes Takamaru to run on air for a set duration. His sandals
cause water ripple effects. A press of A will have him perform an air dash attack. After his charge, he falls down and can use aerials.

• Katana attacks fill a meter that upgrades each throwing weapon.

• Crouch renders Takamaru invisible.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Possible Takamaru Mechanics

• Holding the jump button after the first jump, causes Takamaru to run on air for a set duration. His sandals
cause water ripple effects. A press of A will have him perform an air dash attack. After his charge, he falls down and can use aerials.

• Katana attacks fill a meter that upgrades each throwing weapon.

• Crouch renders Takamaru invisible.
You have any idea how long I was thinking about how to implement his sandal mechnanics before I saw that first one? Props for that idea.

Also, we're all clear that Takamaru is definitely an iaijutsu user?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
From the other tweets Smashified made I assumed that Takamaru was one of the requests they found boring. It fits the bill for having not just one, but two modern iterations. I don't think they'd find it too interesting.
Shame, of course they would rather go for someone who would look more interning than "just a samurai".

You have any idea how long I was thinking about how to implement his sandal mechnanics before I saw that first one? Props for that idea.

Also, we're all clear that Takamaru is definitely an iaijutsu user?
Yeah, we can all agree that he would be an iaijustu fighter. It fits him the most.

Top Bottom