• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The growth of Captain Falcon main's.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I have noticed there is a big growth of Captain Falcon main's.
I have had him mained since I got the 3ds Version.
In the recent Poll for Smash 4 rule-set, Captain Falcon was voted as most used at 9.1%
The second was Sheik 5.6%
My Idea was that it was Zero who influenced this. As people in all kinds of communities always follow the Pro players.

Last edited:

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
I had a funny feeling it had more to do with the fact his smashes have big range and move him around a lot making him easy for less-than-skilled players to abuse.

Plus he's a walking meme. I think ZeRo followed the herd more than the herd followed ZeRo. I strongly suspect ZeRo is trying to make a living off smash and is looking more for publicity and views at this point than anything else.

How many of these polls have people who play FG? Every 3rd character I see online is a Captain. Usually an arrogant name-plate-switching "I'm so SWOL" Captain Falcon.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I had a funny feeling it had more to do with the fact his smashes have big range and move him around a lot making him easy for less-than-skilled players to abuse.

Plus he's a walking meme. I think ZeRo followed the herd more than the herd followed ZeRo. I strongly suspect ZeRo is trying to make a living off smash and is looking more for publicity and views at this point than anything else.

How many of these polls have people who play FG? Every 3rd character I see online is a Captain. Usually an arrogant name-plate-switching "I'm so SWOL" Captain Falcon.
What is SWOL?

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821

I also notice when I play C.Falcon. Poeple usually do to, to try to show they are better, and it ends with them losing, and they leave the FG room.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Don't take that poll seriously.

It was posted on reddit, land of the memers.
50% of the voters have attended to 0 or 1 tournament.

At best this poll can be seen as a popularity contest, in which case it's normal Falcon won.

ZeRo probably doesn't have anything to do with those, it's more like everyone enjoys playing the good ol Captain and spouting his funny memes.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I have noticed there is a big growth of Captain Falcon main's.
I have had him mained since I got the 3ds Version.
In the recent Poll for Smash 4 rule-set, Captain Falcon was voted as most used at 9.1%
The second was Sheik 5.6%
My Idea was that it was Zero who influenced this. As people in all kinds of communities always follow the Pro players.
How nice of you to make my response easy.

1) Captain Falcon is extremely straightforward to play as. He has reliable kill moves and a dirty, disrespectful, and hyped up game.
2) It's only natural for weaker players to follow the advice of stronger ones.
3) Results speak for themselves. Captain Falcon is easy to pick up and very strong when mastered.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I keep seeing that Falcon is "easy" or "straightforward" but I've yet to really find my stride with him (just started practicing him though). Was thinking of looking for someone to spar with so that they can point out my flaws and show me what I need to work on with this character.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Another argument for Falcon's increased usage was his humongous buff from Brawl to Smash 4. This made people overestimate him.

The opposite is true, as Meta Knight is still good and there are very few MK players in Smash 4.

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
Don't take that poll seriously.

It was posted on reddit, land of the memers.
50% of the voters have attended to 0 or 1 tournament.

At best this poll can be seen as a popularity contest, in which case it's normal Falcon won.

ZeRo probably doesn't have anything to do with those, it's more like everyone enjoys playing the good ol Captain and spouting his funny memes.
This.

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I don't really get the younger crowd with Falcon and him being a meme. In Sm4sh all I see are videos of FG opponents falling for Falcon Punches and getting spiked in situations where you could easily dodge. Even someone getting knee'd when they don't air dodge. Honestly... it makes Falcon look bad. Falcon became who he was in Melee for being stylish and effective with his kills. Point being, it showed actual footage of useful techniques and swaggy yet effective combos.

For Sm4sh, they're out there, but hidden behind someones 50 knees video being done on someone online who probably doesn't even know how to block while the comments in the video are akin to "WOW SO GOOD, THE ONLY THING THAT CAN BEAT FALCON IS 10 FALCONS". I get it though, he's like the Chuck Norris of the game and people like his strength. That's great too. There's more to him than his Knee and Falcon Punch though. He has a Hoo-Hah, he is one of the fastest moving characters, good taunts, and most of his moves are actually useful. He is very well balanced as well.

D

Deleted member 269706

"Falcon players don't play to win, they play to have fun." -SFAT

This. ^^^ In my opinion, the majority of the "fun" characters are considered "low tier" or tend to have bad match-ups against the more popular characters. Characters like Ike, Ganondorf, Palutena, Jigglypuff, Samus and a few others. Falcon is one of the few higher tier characters who have the capability of actually countering some of the most popular characters like Ness, ZSS, Luigi, etc, and are genuinely fun to play as. He's fast, he's flashy, he's fun...he's Falcon. He doesn't rely on gimmicks or repetitive tactics, and a lot of people appreciate that.

As far as ZeRo goes, screw him. I don't know how many of you saw the interview where he trash talked and disrespected every Falcon player out there. http://www.twitch.tv/newmetastream/c/6712740, 6:45 mark. Anyone picking up characters just because ZeRo is using them seriously need to reevaluate the choices that they are making in life.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
"Falcon players don't play to win, they play to have fun." -SFAT

This. ^^^ In my opinion, the majority of the "fun" characters are considered "low tier" or tend to have bad match-ups against the more popular characters. Characters like Ike, Ganondorf, Palutena, Jigglypuff, Samus and a few others. Falcon is one of the few higher tier characters who have the capability of actually countering some of the most popular characters like Ness, ZSS, Luigi, etc, and are genuinely fun to play as. He's fast, he's flashy, he's fun...he's Falcon. He doesn't rely on gimmicks or repetitive tactics, and a lot of people appreciate that.

As far as ZeRo goes, screw him. I don't know how many of you saw the interview where he trash talked and disrespected every Falcon player out there. http://www.twitch.tv/newmetastream/c/6712740, 6:45 mark. Anyone picking up characters just because ZeRo is using them seriously need to reevaluate the choices that they are making in life.
Yeah I saw that today, I actually took it as inspiration to work harder. To actually figure new things out with him. I was going to make a thread stating, we need to work together as a community of Falcons to figure new things out and work harder. Or maybe its just me.

D

Deleted member 269706

Yeah I saw that today, I actually took it as inspiration to work harder. To actually figure new things out with him. I was going to make a thread stating, we need to work together as a community of Falcons to figure new things out and work harder. Or maybe its just me.
No it was the same for me. I want nothing more than to see some Captain Falcon play in high level tourneys, and we're only going to do that as a team. Honestly, I think that players need to learn how to carry out general Sm4sh techniques before even mastering a character, and that's a big problem with the Falcon community. So many Falcon's don't know how to properly tech, spot-dodge, Short-hop > Fast-fall, DI, stage spike, and so on. I'm still learning the majority of those basic techniques to be completely honest. If anything, we need sparring partners to help each other advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well to be honest everyone knows work needs to be done, making a thread about it won't change anything. What we need is people putting in the effort in the lab to get some data.

So if you want to contribute to the meta the best thing to do is choose a subject (recovery, Dthrow, tech chase, etc.. it doesn't matter), learn as much as you can about it and post your results to start a discussion.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
No it was the same for me. I want nothing more than to see some Captain Falcon play in high level tourneys, and we're only going to do that as a team. Honestly, I think that players need to learn how to carry out general Sm4sh techniques before even mastering a character, and that's a big problem with the Falcon community. So many Falcon's don't know how to properly tech, spot-dodge, Short-hop > Fast-fall, DI, stage spike, and so on. I'm still learning the majority of those basic techniques to be completely honest. If anything, we need sparring partners to help each other advance.
I would be willing to. Just PM me if you want to. I think it would be nice to try to figure things out. I really want to learn new things.
Well to be honest everyone knows work needs to be done, making a thread about it won't change anything. What we need is people putting in the effort in the lab to get some data.

So if you want to contribute to the meta the best thing to do is choose a subject (recovery, Dthrow, tech chase, etc.. it doesn't matter), learn as much as you can about it and post your results to start a discussion.
I guess that makes sense.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
To be fair, Short Hop-Fast Fall doesn't really help Falcon as much as with some other characters and teching can be funny online at times--not to mention can be harder to see coming when you're a fastfaller.

But yeah, I think that's true for most characters. I think the real trick is finding guys who'll punish yo for screwing it up and play with you until you get better at it.

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
We need people testing the uses of his customs. Well, the only custom that needs testing imo is the Lightning Falcon Kick, I've created plenty of combos with this, and I've executed one or two of them against my friends but I wish I had someone to help me test them out on every character.

I like how ZeRo's saying he's best Falcon but we're here on the Falcon boards finding new stuff/testing stuff to improve the meta. I don't see ZeRo contributing anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom