• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Graveyard: Disconfirmed Character Thread (SAKURAAAAAAAAAI!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Isn't Hideo Kojima one of gaming's biggest trolls?

I'm going to keep Snake on my predictions until disconfirmed by the final roster or Sakurai/Kojima.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Isn't Hideo Kojima one of gaming's biggest trolls?

I'm going to keep Snake on my predictions until disconfirmed by the final roster or Sakurai/Kojima.
Has he ever lied about something so bluntly before? (And are you thinking Hideki Kamiya by any means?)

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Has he ever lied about something so bluntly before? (And are you thinking Hideki Kamiya by any means?)
Do remember, this is also the guy who:

Switches you between Snake and Raiden without warning in MGS2
Completely changes everything we've adapted to in MGS3
Giving us an elderly Snake complete with back pains and aches in MGS4
Putting Peacewalker on the PSP
Charges a 2-hour demo of MGS5 for around $30-$40 on the PS4 and Xbox One

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
I say the quote from Kojima actually increases the odds of Snake being in the game. It's an odd quote, and it's basically Kojima saying that he doesn't know whether the character is in the game or not, but him not knowing is just too weird at the point, all characters in the game should AT LEAST be decided on by now, and they can't just use any third party characters without the consent of the people who own the rights to those characters, and if Nintendo did discuss the use of Snake with someone at Konami then Kojima would definitely get wind of it so him not knowing would mean that no one contacted Konami for the use of a Snake, and by this point it would be an obvious no.

I know that makes it seem like the character is not in the game, but consider this: what if he can't say that the character is in the game? Like I said, for Snake to be used in SSB4, an agreement would need to be made, what if part of that agreement is to be silent about a character's inclusion until the official reveal of that character? If this is the case then he can't say yes because his hands are tied and he can't say no because that would be an outright lie.

Plus, he asks Sakurai over a Q&A? Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard/read somewhere that the two of them were friends. If Kojima really wanted Snake to be in the game then he would have contacted Sakurai directly, since it seems like something that would be possible and practical, in which case he would have had his answer to whether or not Snake is in.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Snake is in the game and Kojima is not allowed to say due the some sort of non-disclosure agreement.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
More like Snake confirmed not to return:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/kojima-open-to-snake-returning-in-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u

Some may dispute, but consider the following:

1. Kojima personally is involved with all things Metal Gear. He is privy to all licensing agreements involving Snake.
2. If an agreement had already been made for Snake being in smash 4, Kojima's statements here would be not just misleading but outright lying. He wouldn't outright lie when he could just give "no comment".
3. The game is late in development, and it's way too late to add a character. If Snake isn't already in, he isn't going to be added in at this point. I'm not entirely sure Kojima understands this point (he also apparently tried to get Snake into Melee at the 11th hour), but I think we can all agree on this point regardless.

Put together, I'd say it's thoroughly conclusive that Snake isn't coming back. Someone who definitely would know directly confirmed it. Snake should be added to the list in this topic.

Snake's return was a long shot in the first place looking back, but he was a very well liked character either way so it's a shame to see him go. This also marks the first formerly playable character confirmed not to return, hopefully the start of a very short list.
I'd actually encourage you to look at the similarities in an interview of Sega in June 2013.

They were asked about Sonic in Smash Bros.

They answered pretty much the same way.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Is that last one true?!?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I still think the idea of stars being used to signify notable disconfirmations such as Toad, Waluigi and Ashley should be used, OP. Would you feel like taking this suggestion?

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724

+ Put :snake:On The Ps123And4

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Say, should Doc Louis be considered disconfirmed? He did appear in Little Mac's trailer... and while it's unknown how he'll appear in-game, playable character seems out of the question.

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
So Ridley isn't decomfirmed yet I'm suprised wonder how the amazing Sakurai is going to put Ridley in even though he is so big but if he does put him in the game somehow and make him work i am going to be shocked.

gamer8

Smash Lord
I say the quote from Kojima actually increases the odds of Snake being in the game. It's an odd quote, and it's basically Kojima saying that he doesn't know whether the character is in the game or not, but him not knowing is just too weird at the point, all characters in the game should AT LEAST be decided on by now, and they can't just use any third party characters without the consent of the people who own the rights to those characters, and if Nintendo did discuss the use of Snake with someone at Konami then Kojima would definitely get wind of it so him not knowing would mean that no one contacted Konami for the use of a Snake, and by this point it would be an obvious no.

I know that makes it seem like the character is not in the game, but consider this: what if he can't say that the character is in the game? Like I said, for Snake to be used in SSB4, an agreement would need to be made, what if part of that agreement is to be silent about a character's inclusion until the official reveal of that character? If this is the case then he can't say yes because his hands are tied and he can't say no because that would be an outright lie.

Plus, he asks Sakurai over a Q&A? Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard/read somewhere that the two of them were friends. If Kojima really wanted Snake to be in the game then he would have contacted Sakurai directly, since it seems like something that would be possible and practical, in which case he would have had his answer to whether or not Snake is in.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Snake is in the game and Kojima is not allowed to say due the some sort of non-disclosure agreement.
All of that made perfect sense.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So Ridley isn't decomfirmed yet I'm suprised wonder how the amazing Sakurai is going to put Ridley in even though he is so big but if he does put him in the game somehow and make him work i am going to be shocked.
At the moment, we have not seen Ridley deconfirmed. As such, he has not been added to the Graveyard, considering he hasn't been outright deconfirmed.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
TBH, did Big Mac even have a chance? No? I knew it.
This covers ALL disconfirmed characters. In the future, I'll mark "popular" or choices commonly acknowledged as possible characters with a star, once I find a command for it.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
This covers ALL disconfirmed characters. In the future, I'll mark "popular" or choices commonly acknowledged as possible characters with a star, once I find a command for it.
There is a star as an emoticon. It is right before the multiple color flashing face.:starman:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Hmm. It appears you cannot add emoticons to spoiler tags.

I'll have to find out some way to organize this better.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The OP is now updated to re-introduce the Honorable Mentions section, disconfirmed stages and items, as well as overall cleanliness.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
To the discussion of Snake being included, I dunno how many 3rd party characters we can keep around, especially assuming there will be another Smash game years down the line. I'm sure it'll make many people happy to see them return. But it'll dishearten many when we see them go.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Guessing today's pic of the day officially deconfirms Tom Nook and an honorary mention to Mabel.

Edit; Nevermind as MasterofMonster pointed out to me on the front page it's not Tom Nook at all. It's either Timmy or Tommy. Different eyes.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Looks like a lot of Animal Crossing characters have been added to the Graveyard. Mabel, Tommy/Timmy and Leila...

Once I get around to it, I'll add the former two to the "Animal Crossing Villagers" entry and the latter to Kapp'n's entry.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
While I do agree that Snake shouldn't be in the graveyard (the Kojima comments are NOT a confirmation... few things are, aside from info coming from Sakurai/Nintendo themselves), I'm kinda seeing a bit of denial in regards to his chances.

I used Snake in Brawl, but I admit his chances seem slim after that interview.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm thirsty. I think it is time to deconfirm another popularly requested character. :troll:

R0Y

Smash Master
Snake...

-Wii U was snubbed for Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain (I can understand, business decision right? Well so is not requesting Snake.)
-Twin Snakes was relatively recent (2 years) when Snake was revealed in 2006 for Brawl
-we've had 1 stripped down 3DS port since then
-doesn't seem likely he'll be back at this point, he's basically free advertising for Sony and Microsoft's consoles.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
-doesn't seem likely he'll be back at this point, he's basically free advertising for Sony and Microsoft's consoles
I think it's the other way around, when Sony and Microsoft fans see Snake, that will show them that a "Mature" character is in the game, and will hopefully make them buy smash bros

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I think it's the other way around, when Sony and Microsoft fans see Snake, that will show them that a "Mature" character is in the game, and will hopefully make them buy smash bros
That's a positive spin on events but for a conservative company like Nintendo and possibly Sakurai in particular, Kojima Productions just doesn't care about Nintendo.

Jill Valentine makes more sense.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
That's a positive spin on events but for a conservative company like Nintendo and possibly Sakurai in particular, Kojima Productions just doesn't care about Nintendo.

Jill Valentine makes more sense.
Resident evil had a Remake on GameCube and So did Metal Gear Solid, I hope I don't sound rude but how does Jill make more sense then Snake?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why do people keep saying that MGS3D doesn't count?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Why do people keep saying that MGS3D doesn't count?
To be fair personally I feel it does. But... I only count it as much as I count the Kingdom Hearts games on 3DS.

Snake(and Sora) still feels more Sony at the end of the day. I get the impression many others feel like that too which is why the majority seems to discount MGS3D.

(obviously it's just a theory don't take this as fact)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom