• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Good Wife's Guide

Rayku

Smash Lord
I posted this a long time ago and got nothing but people saying "I actually like women," and, "This is horrible."

Jaff

Smash Rookie
I posted this a long time ago and got nothing but people saying "I actually like women," and, "This is horrible."
You either get one or the other here.

Edit: I'll do both - While its totally funny in the "LOL WOMEN SUCK OMG HAHAHA" sense, this is actually pretty dumb. The 50s were pretty terrible when it came to the rights of anyone that didn't have power.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I disagree, this article is great and should be applied by women today. It's not like they didn't have rights, it's just that societal norms were different.

Btw it was clearly published in 1955, since that's what it says in the pic you posted of it.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
I think a majority of it is just common courtesy that should be applied to both sides of a marital relationship. It's just that a stay at home mom's job is to take care of the house and children while the husband brings home the bacon. Obviously things like his "what he says is more important" and "you have no right to question him" are not good at all. But not bringing up problems as soon as a husband walks into the door and trying to be sincerely happy when he arrives are just common courtesies that should be excercised. I think the same can be said of the husband when he gets home though, sans the domestic housework.

Jaff

Smash Rookie
I disagree, this article is great and should be applied by women today. It's not like they didn't have rights, it's just that societal norms were different.

Btw it was clearly published in 1955, since that's what it says in the pic you posted of it.
They had rights in the sense that they had similar protections under our constitution to everyone else. The problem was that they were still discriminated in the sense that they were not treated like everyone else. It works great for you, who (hypothetically) has a wife doing all the housework (housework sucks, we all know it)...but it kind of blows for the woman. It blows more knowing that this is what was expected, I'd imagine trying to become part of the educated working class would be very difficult and tend to draw the ire of the society that expects otherwise of you.

At the end of the day, I like making a "women in the kitchen" joke as much as anyone else, but I do disagree with the notion that "this is how it should be", that's just not cool.

edit: XIF knows whats up, there are many tips for keeping a happy relationship that should be exercised by both (or more??) people in a relationship...some of it is whack tho

Top Bottom