• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Gordo Guide

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It only takes a few matches with Dedede to realize something…

Gordo gets reflected back at you… Pretty easily.
Something I’ve noticed from a noticeable amount of Dedede newcomers is a tendency to use the Gordo like any other projectile.
This may make you think, “well, what a terrible projectile. This thing’s completely useless!”
But what if I told you that move is one of Dedede’s best moves?
So useful and so misunderstood it is. But, to perfect your game, it’s imperative to get used to using this move. Because it’s a great move… So long as you use it in the right way.
As said, the Gordo cannot be used like your standard projectile. Any attacks which deals at least 2% can reflect it. Don’t expect good results when you chuck a Gordo at someone and give them plenty of time and room to hit it back at you and reap a punish.

So how do you use the Gordo then?

Before we get into that, let’s just go over the basics of this move just to make sure everyone’s on the same page…

By pressing the command, Dedede will pull out a Gordo and whack it with his hammer. The hammer itself has a fairly strong hitbox at this point in time, and, after hitting it, the Gordo becomes a bouncing hitbox about the size of Kirby, give or take. The Gordo will bounce three times before disappearing, and you cannot pull out another one until it disappears.

This move can be “angled” in three directions - default, down, and up.

For the default, when used on the ground, the Gordo will bounce three times clearing a Final Destination’s worth of distance when thrown on the ground.

For the downward angle, the Gordo makes three jumps covering a bit more than half of Final Destination’s length.

For the upward angle, the Gordo makes three jumps covering about half a Battlefield platform of length.

Now, that’s just assuming you’re standing and on a flat surface. Gordo, however, is affected by gravity! Depending on how far the Gordo falls, the bounce after hitting the ground will vary. So, if you throw a Gordo from high above the stage, it’ll come crashing down and bounce higher than if you used it from the ground.
Gordo is further affected by gravity via slopes. If a Gordo bounces on a slope, its trajectory will be affected. Sometimes very drastically. Knowing how Gordo works with slopes on particular stages just takes practice and experimenting! It can really make certain stages with slopes like Skyloft and Lylat Cruise really worth it.

Gordo has one more unique property: wall clinging. It’s pretty situational, but if done just right, it’s actually possible to stick it right on the ledge of the stage! Doing so consistently, however, is…difficult if not impossible. (Further research needed. :4dedede:)

Now that we’ve gotten the general mechanics of the attack out of the way, onto the previous question… If it’s not a standard projectile, how do you use Gordo?

Well, Gordo is a pressure tool. What do I mean by that?
It forces reactions. It’s a force that your opponent must deal with in some way whether that be by shielding, hitting it back or just getting out of the way.
Meanwhile, you, with your loveable mallet and awesome girth, are free to do whatever you please while that Gordo is bouncing around.

What exactly are the implications of this?
Well, let’s say you’re falling from up high, and you throw a Gordo down at your opponent.
There’s now an added hitbox coming at them alongside you falling to get back safely on the stage. The Gordo acts almost like a distraction. If you hit the Gordo at them just right, they’ll have to waste some time to hit it away, get out of the way, etc.. This can sometimes give you just enough time to land safely.
That’s an example of pressuring with Gordo in a defensive manner, but Gordo can also be used as an offensive pressure.

Take the situation where your opponent is hanging on the ledge.
You’re standing a few character lengths away from the ledge, and just toss an up-angled Gordo. Now there’s this bouncing hitbox just…bouncing there.
Normally your average opponent would have a handful of options at the ledge: plain get up, attack, jump, roll, or let go and jump upwards with an aerial attack. But with that Gordo there… Well, their options are even more limited!
Your opponent can either wait for the Gordo to go away, roll off the ledge or try and hit the Gordo back while you’re super close.
Pretty limited. And relatively easy to take advantage of!
Think they’re gonna roll? Down-smash, ftilt, whatever!
Think they’re gonna wait it out? Get ready for when they run out of invincibility!
Think they’re gonna try and hit it back? Ready your shield, then counter-attack!

Going over every situation where Gordo is a good option would be… Quite the task, to say the least. It’s a very versatile tool in our kit, but it requires creativity to really make it shine.

Experiment! If you have anything to add, any discoveries, useful tricks, etc., feel free to post here so this "guide" can potentially be expanded!

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I can feel the annoyance my opponent experiences when they get repeated hit by gordo because I'm at 150% and they go all aggro.

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
Its good to remember that if your opponent reflects your gordo, you can hit it back. A well timed back-air sends that thing flying at mach 2 straight into your opponent and can sometimes even kill the weaker characters.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Its good to remember that if your opponent reflects your gordo, you can hit it back. A well timed back-air sends that thing flying at mach 2 straight into your opponent and can sometimes even kill the weaker characters.
You would use back air to deflect a gordo? It comes out so slowly though.

Btw, did you guys know that you can catch your gordo if it is hit back to you with Side-B? If you catch it with Side-B you will see it in DDD's hand and he will hit it back.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I have been waiting for this thread.

Some things about gordo I've noticed:

Generally as the OP said, you don't want to use gordos full screen where they can easily be reflected. I like to use them just around outside Fsmash range. This way if makes it very hard for them to properly reflect. A lot of people don't want to chance missing and eating 14% so they shield or roll. Even if they do reflect it a few times, you're heavy a$$ King D3, you can take a few gordos to the face.

The hammer has a hitbox as well. If you are up close, you can >B them and the hammer will hit them and the gordo at the same time, and can hit them into the gordo, which generally bounces them back at you for an Uair_Utilt (^ and V gordo work best here, > is often too far away). If they shield this then a ^ will usualy hit them out of their punish unless they use an attack that has a hitbox overhead

Also, you can use gordos to "counter" projectiles. Meaning, if you do a >B and the opponent hits the gordo with a projectile right as/before you hit it, it will reflect to you and then reflect back at the opponent really fast. Really strict timing, you have to hit with the strike part of your >B right as their projectile hits the gordo. Really hard to do but really good as it either will hit them in their projectile cooldown animation or at the very least be hard to react to.

Dash away to make the opponents move whiff then gordo back at your opponent is a good punish.

^ gordo with Fsmash edgeguard is good.

V gordo towards the stage as you recover

^ gordo, dash grab, Bthrow into the gordo

If they get used to SH ^gordo and start rolling through you, SH downB, then turn on landing and let them have it. DownB looks a lot like gordo, and if you use gordos a lot, people tend to get really jumpy.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
^ gordo with Fsmash edgeguard is good.
It can work time to time if your opponent commits to something easily read, but, generally, you don't want to commit to something like that in that situation.
I prefer to just wait them out and punish what they do. You can generally afford to just wait since it's such a good situation for Dedede. You don't want to potentially lose it.

If they get used to SH ^gordo and start rolling through you, SH downB, then turn on landing and let them have it. DownB looks a lot like gordo, and if you use gordos a lot, people tend to get really jumpy.
Jet Hammer 2 slow tho'! :sonic:

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
You should mention how easy it is to reflect gordos back with neutral air. Really easy to time. It's a game changer...I'm surprised by just how many Dedede mains aren't doing it!

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
You should mention how easy it is to reflect gordos back with neutral air. Really easy to time. It's a game changer...I'm surprised by just how many Dedede mains aren't doing it!
Don't you have to use side b to reflect your already reflected gordo?

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Don't you have to use side b to reflect your already reflected gordo?
Using side-B again just catches it and sends it back. Using an attack like nair reflects it in the same way your enemy reflected it the first time.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Does anyone know if it's damage increases upon reflection?
I think so. Like 1%, but I'm not sure, since I know the base damage is 14% but sometimes it has come back to me with 13%. I think it depends on velocity.

if a gordo is reflected with a reflective move however, like Fox's down-B, Palutena's side-B or Villager's neutral B, then it will have the % increase that is normally given from those reflections.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
My favorite Gordo tech is jumping to melee range and use an up angled Gordo in their face. Often enough, you hit them with the mallet and then they get hit by the Gordo from the back (sometimes it seems like the Gordo hits them twice).
But anyways. Great topic! I once thought of making a Gordo chart.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
So, uptilted is a good pressure move.
Neutral can sometimes be used as a punish
What can you do with downtilted Gordos? It seems like neutral does everything they can do, but better.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
So, uptilted is a good pressure move.
Neutral can sometimes be used as a punish
What can you do with downtilted Gordos? It seems like neutral does everything they can do, but better.
I think they are best used as a mix up to keep your opponent off guard. I mix one in every so often instead of a neutral gordo. Also once you get a good feel for all the bounces there's some situations where a down gordo will have the best timing to hit an opponent off stage.

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
So i learnt that you can reflect gordos with neutral air, thanks to you guys.

But how do you guys feel about custom gordos? I dont like the one that speeds up mostly because of its slow startup. But the third one could be useful for stage control.

Dexmaster

Smash Cadet
But how do you guys feel about custom gordos? I dont like the one that speeds up mostly because of its slow startup. But the third one could be useful for stage control.
The third one is great for stage control. Unfortunately, on of the guides I read here seems to follow the idea that Dedede needs to stay a certain distance away from his opponent to be used effectively, leading me to believe that he doesn't make that much use of stage control. I do, however, want to try a swallow and spit into bouncing gordo combo using 3rd custom.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Hey guys
Visitor from the Bowser Jr./Captain Falcon boards here.
Having trouble reflecting Gordos.
I know you can reflect it with any decent attack, but I just can't get the timing down... especially with Falcon...
Every time I try to attack the gordo I end up getting hit.... usually it makes contact with Falcon's hurtbox as he attacks and somehow the hitbox is ignored...
Is it just bad timing? Cuz as it stands I've struggled with good Dededes just because the stupid gordo zones me out...

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
You must be the only one. Regular Falcon jab deflects the gordo, and it comes out really fast.

Is just a matter of practice.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hey guys
Visitor from the Bowser Jr./Captain Falcon boards here.
Having trouble reflecting Gordos.
I know you can reflect it with any decent attack, but I just can't get the timing down... especially with Falcon...
Every time I try to attack the gordo I end up getting hit.... usually it makes contact with Falcon's hurtbox as he attacks and somehow the hitbox is ignored...
Is it just bad timing? Cuz as it stands I've struggled with good Dededes just because the stupid gordo zones me out...
If you're playing online, then the small amount of lag will prove problematic for reflecting Gordo.

If it's offline where this is still an issue, then, yeah, what manueluno said above, it's just a matter of practice. Falcon's jab can reflect Gordo well. As can other moves of his such as nair iirc.
If you don't think you'll be able to hit it in time, then you can always simply get out of the way or shield. No shame in doing that if it's your best option.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I personally like throwing out an angled Gordo and spacing myself a forward smash distance away while using Triple D's suction. I find this a good way to edge guard.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Also, you can use gordos to "counter" projectiles. Meaning, if you do a >B and the opponent hits the gordo with a projectile right as/before you hit it, it will reflect to you and then reflect back at the opponent really fast. Really strict timing, you have to hit with the strike part of your >B right as their projectile hits the gordo. Really hard to do but really good as it either will hit them in their projectile cooldown animation or at the very least be hard to react to.
I really wanted to master this technique but no one is willing to help. It would be such a big game changer agains't characters like link and DHD.

AAAZZZ

Smash Rookie
...which is precisely why I made this. https://youtu.be/aKfVScvNyWM
Your guide doesn't mention using the hammer hitbox of gordo throw at all. In fact I made an account just to see if anyone had mentioned this so I could ask about timings of it. I've done it a few times but I don't have a practice partner for it either so it's difficult to learn how to do it consistently.
UGordos are also a great fair replacement as you can't airdodge out of them and it hits in a bigger area than fair does for fairly small amounts of risk.

sweatyteddytaco

Smash Cadet
I find the best move to reflect gordos back are the kings sexy down tilt. It's so fast and they don't seem to expect it coming back at them.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Your guide doesn't mention using the hammer hitbox of gordo throw at all. In fact I made an account just to see if anyone had mentioned this so I could ask about timings of it. I've done it a few times but I don't have a practice partner for it either so it's difficult to learn how to do it consistently.
UGordos are also a great fair replacement as you can't airdodge out of them and it hits in a bigger area than fair does for fairly small amounts of risk.
Hey add me, I've been trying to master the Gordo techs. Especially the one when you time the gordo throw right as a projectile hits it and it goes flying at high speed. not right now though, I'm going to a tourney.

AAAZZZ

Smash Rookie
Yeah down tilt and Nair are the go to reflecting attacks.
I've been playing GTA V so no rush.
It's possible that gordos can be used against any projectile as nothing can actually destroy one, but some projectiles can be spammed fast enough to make it dangerous to do this.
Figuring out which ones it's safe on will be as important as the timings of it.

Added.

Last edited:

JSConrad45

Smash Cadet
Some tricks I didn't see mentioned already:

When someone is coming toward you in the air, you can hop and use a high-angle Gordo such that it's going to hit them. The best thing for the opponent to do in that situation is probably to reverse direction immediately, but they usually don't. They'll either hit the Gordo (in which case it will go over your head and you're free to punish whatever move they used to hit Gordo with your uair or possibly worse), or they'll airdodge (in which case they are frame-trapped into a usmash if you set it up right).

It's possible to get a guaranteed shieldbreak off of a shielded Gordo + SDJ. You have to set it up such that, by the time the Gordo hits shield, the SDJ is already in motion and will connect before the shieldstun ends, frame-trapping them into a shieldbreak. To do this, your opponent needs to be on the ground (preferably at the ledge), and you have to do a high-angle Gordo from high up, then fast-fall below the ledge to SDJ. The timing is extremely tight, and it doesn't work if they powershield the Gordo, but, still, it can be done.

The catch-and-retoss move isn't exclusive to side-B. As long as it's your Gordo (this doesn't seem to work on your opponent's Gordo in dittos), jab, nair, and fair can all trigger the catch-and-retoss move if you do it at the right time, making them very safe options for re-reflecting Gordo (because if you input it too early, the normal move just comes out and re-reflects Gordo anyway). Possibly other inputs work as well; these are just the ones that have worked for me personally.

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
I've been playing GTA V so no rush.
It's possible that gordos can be used against any projectile as nothing can actually destroy one, but some projectiles can be spammed fast enough to make it dangerous to do this.
Figuring out which ones it's safe on will be as important as the timings of it.

Added.
Where do you live? knowing your time zone can help aranging training sessions.

Top Bottom