• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falco Match-Up

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
As a person who lives in a falco filled region, I am trying to really study the matchup. What I've been doing:
•Tech chasing
•Keeping Falco cornered
•Counter Picking to dreamland, Poke on stadium, and fed
What I am having trouble with
• On FD, I have minor problems with lasers, especially when recovering and on the ledge.
• Edge guarding side b

Seal

Smash Journeyman
For edge guarding side b you can jump off the stage near the edge and catch them mid-phantasm with a falling nair. If they are at a high percent they will die, if not you have two options: just grab the ledge and try a ledge jump bair or double jump and fair them while their firebird begins its startlag.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so for counter-picks against Falco. You always want to ban Dreamland/FoD. I like to take them to BF, Stadium, YS, and FD(only if you're able to chain-grab consistently).

The trouble with FD is if you cannot chain-grab the Falco consistently, then the stage becomes worse for Marth because of Falco's lasers. The lasers make the neutral game very bad for Marth and unless you know how to powershield and maneuver around them you will have a bad time.

As for edge guarding Falco's side b, if he is even with the stage/ledge, try jabs to hit him out of it and when he drops either counter and go down and hit him.

Here are 2 really good videos on edge guarding spacies check them out!

https://youtu.be/8LoaduZZTA8 (Part 1)
https://youtu.be/z4CBle2C3Qs (Part 2)
Uhh, this is the sheik boards, not Marth boards

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
Alright, so I play the MU similar to the fox MU, but that's just cause I don't have a lot of specific knowledge on the Falco MU and more of a general idea, which is enough for me to beat any mid level Falco in my region, higher ranking Falco? not quite enough.

KK, so CPs against Falco, it's a very style specific CP, if a Falco likes to laser a lot and run away, Dreamland is not a good idea a lot of the time.
If a Falco likes to be up in your face a lot without giving you much room to breathe and the laser game isn't that great, then I like to take them to FOD or Yoshi's, I wouldn't recommend taking a lot of characters to Pokemon because I feel like Falco really likes it there in that MU.
Sheik doesn't have as many options on that stage just because of how it's set up, Sheik needs platforms, so game 1 it's a good idea to take them to Battlefield 99% of the time.
The only time it isn't is when you come across the battlefield master, which you can't really be looking out for until you've already taken them there.
(Falco also has a lot of setups of pokemon so he gets a lot more off it than you do from my experience)

So moving onto lasers, sometimes they can be easier to deal with than other times.
When a Falco lasers a lot then you need to either know how to power shield consistently, or just get away from them.
When it comes to Falco's lasers, he's kinda playing like a shoto character, he's gonna fireball, want you to jump, he'll then DP/Anti air.
So as long as it's not FD, you should be able to needle cancel approach.
If it is FD, well then my call would be to just have a good power shield game and know when to crouch under the lasers and jump over them.

And edge guarding with side b?
You don't really need to, a lot of the time you can just F-tilt them into fair, if possible just grab edge invincible bair or fair depending on the situation and spacing, which you'll find with practice.
Sheik's chain is better for characters with softer recoveries like Falcon/Ganon's up-B

Top Bottom