• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Factor Sequence: a team game format

JGage

Smash Rookie
Hi, I just found this site today, its great that there are so many people who understand that smash is one of the greatest games ever made. Although I've not been here long, I have played my share of smash along with a group of about four others. We've honed our skills to the point were its pointless to play with anyone else we can find. (To those who don't have quality competition, I feel sorry for you, because while its fun to cream someone, that's nothing compared to the rush of a battle among equals that comes down to the last life of the last of a series). Anyhow, once you play with the same few people every day for months, it gets boring just playing battle after battle, so eventually we came up with a great format that gives each game more meaning and thus results in some very exciting moments. We call it The Factor Sequence.

------------The Factor Sequence-------------

The Factor Sequence is a series of battles that is designed to establish a single winner among 4 people through playing only team battles. In order to complete a Factor, (casual reference to a full sequence), you must have four players. This is not a party game for taking turns and passing controllers around, so any more than four will not work. Also it is comprised exclusively of team battles, so three players will not work either. Once you've got four people, the Factor proceeds as follows: you will play three separate best-of-three series , so the Factor can last as long as 9 battles or short as 6. After each series the teams are changed, so that by third series everyone will have been on everyone else's team. The individual battles can be set up any way imaginable to fit personal preference. We have found that playing 7-life stock battles work very well and provide a Factor that usually lasts around 30 minutes. That's all the basics, now the important part, the reason it is called The Factor Sequence. Once you have completed all three series and everyone has played together it is a mathematical certainty that either one person will win all three times, or one person will lose three times, no matter what. Once you've finished, one person has three losses or three wins, that person is called The Factor, because for good or bad they were the most influential at determining the outcome of the Sequence, they're the determining factor. So as the game unfolds the object is to become The Winning Factor by winning all three of your games, while avoiding losing all three and becoming The Losing Factor.

That is the basics of The Factor Sequence, it may sound a little complicated but once you've played a Factor, it becomes very clear. The Factor Sequence has a lot more potential for exiting games because it puts something on the line in each game. The last series is especially exciting, because by the time the last series starts there is always someone who has lost both games and someone who has won both games, so there is a potential winning and losing factor at the beginning of the series. Furthermore both potential Factors will be playing on the same team in the final series, thus making it more exciting because they both have strong motivation to win, one to be the Winning Factor, and the other to avoid the shame of becoming the Losing Factor. However if one person is on the clear path to becoming the Winning Factor, the person who plays with him last becomes the potential Losing Factor by no fault of their own, simply that they were the last to play with the Factor.

The Factor Sequence is very customizable and can be played to anyones likings. I've found that 7 lives provides a good Factor length, but everyone has a way they like to play, and the Factor Sequence is open to all different preferences. Furthermore, if you don't have much time to play the Factor can easily be shortened to a Mini-Factor, by playing just one game per series, so at just 3 games it is very convenient.

I'm sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to properly do justice to a game that has brought me a great deal of enjoyment while keeping Smash Bros. fresh and lively. I can't take any credit for inventing this though, the credit goes to my group of players.

If people have any comments before or after playing a Factor, I'd love to hear them. Also if anyone has any good games that they've come up with, it would be very interesting to see how other people play smash.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Im interested in this quote here
We've honed our skills to the point were its pointless to play with anyone else.
Guide to online ssb:
http://www.sitesled.com/members/myztek/index.html

as for a controller, you can purchase this adapter on ebay, it'll let you hook up a ps or n64 controller to your computer via usb
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-64-N64...30QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3606QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You can use keyboard, but that might be hard for you to have to change styles so rapidly
the only issue about that adapter is that some N64 controllers won't work with it, so you have to have one that will work
as for which ones will work or not, only way to find out is to test it. I dont know any other way to do so.
You can, however, purchase the more expensive one, called Adaptoid
I think the Adaptoid is compatible with all N64 controllers.

As for emulators and roms, it's against TOS to discuss about roms, so my Aim is: johnnysyeah
or join the EGX kaillera server if you have kaillera: 69.90.34.14:27888

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
That sounds cool, as long as everyone in the group is about the same level. Which I guess should be the case as you guys seem to have played only each other for a long time. The idea wouldn't work out too well online though.

Let's see, games that I play often on the real system:

3v1s, or 2v1s: Since my friends don't play online, though recently they've been picking up a few of the advance techniques from me. Another example of how skill levels level out after a certain amount of time.
Smashed Smash and Smack Daniels: Drinking games
Baseball: Pretty fun with Fox lasers or Samus blasts
Goalie: Who can die the fastest, DK is the goalie

Well I g2g, I'll put more details up when I've got time.

JGage

Smash Rookie
Im interested in this quote here

We've honed our skills to the point were its pointless to play with anyone else.

Yeah, sorry that's not what I meant to say. That sure was a sweeping generalization. I didn't mean to imply that there is no competition that exists. I just meat to say that I can't find any competition. I don't know anyone else who plays smash enough for it to be a match. What I should have said was:

"We've honed our skills to the point it is pointless to play with anyone else we can find."

I guess online is the place to look. I've never really considered playing online, but it sounds pretty easy to set up. I will definitely check it out.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Yes, just don't quit when you find out that there are many people that much much better than you and your friends. :p

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if your "factor" necessarily proves who is best.
Because people work differently with other people in teams.

Lets say, in a 1v1 game, A and B are both (marginally) worse than C and D. It is still possible that A and B on teams can beat C and D on teams.

There is really only one way to determine who is best and that is to do a round robin tournament. Most wins = best player.

Top Bottom