• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Doc's approaches against long ranged chars?

Pekkle

Smash Rookie
How do you guys approach chars with long range (i.e. Marth, Roy, Ganon)?
Most of the time I do pills -> waveland -> anything, but many times I get beaten to the attack :ohwell:
Otherwise, I just play defensively, since I can't approach very effectively T_T I heard that UA -> Dsmash works, but I have no idea exactly how to pull if off: SHFFUA -> Dsmash? 0_O Wouldn't that get outranged by like any attack?

Also, what do you do after you grab, besides chainthrowing?
I tend to do (after chain) Dthrow -> Usmash -> Dair -> other aerial besides fair -- this works pretty well, but i doubt its a good combo :confused:

Oh, and raise your hand if you use C-stick to SHBAWD. I find it like impossibly hard to do it with cstick, dunno why 0_O

jmic

Smash Ace
Usually you would have to get to the point where you can read their attacks. Then I would try approaching them with a triangle jump, that is, short hop to them, and when right when they're attacking, you diagonally dodge into the ground, and then you can do whatever since Marth's and Roy's Fsmash has a lot of lag.

As for throw combos, you can Dthrow Fsmash Ganon at low to medium percents.

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
approach? actually in those cases the opponent should be approaching you. if you try to approach with a pill and follow with a shuffle you may get punished for it, i.e. getting hit with marth's tipper. draw the opponent towards you so if they do get hit with a pill, then you have time to attack.

and concerning throw combos i usually do one of three things:

1. docpunch after an upthrow

2. f-smash

3. u-tilt and attempt an aerial combo (or a u-air depending on how high your opponent is)

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Against long-range characters, you never, ever approach them. You just lift up your proverbial skirt and run away like a wussy girl as the opponent tries to **** you, hoping that you'll see an opening that you can exploit. Firing pills while doing this, as well as some very basic mindgame stuff (i.e. dashdancing, empty short hops, etc.) can put mild pressure on the opponent, forcing them to react in a less-than-favorable manner.

Going offensive against anyone that has longer range/higher priority than you usually amounts to suicide.

After throws, u-tilt usually isn't recommended mostly because they'll DI the throw, which makes u-tilt utterly useless for combo'ing. Shffl'd u-airs work at about 65% or more on most characters, which is usually your best bet since they'll DI left or right.

Otherwise, you can d-throw -> jump-cancelled u-smash on mid-weights or substitute u-throw for fastfallers. Or you can do the Mario/Silv combo where you u-throw (at low %s) -> fulljumped d-air -> falling u-air -> land -> shffl'd u-airs.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
let them come to you and wait for an opportunity. those characters you mentioned have HUGE lag time. just long enough for you to go in for a jc grab or a nair maybe. dair is really great if they're not offensive. wait for a (hopefully missed) forward smash from marth :)

alcheato

Smash Ace
I'm gonna have to agree with the people that said try and get characters with far greater range than doc to approach you. Basically spam pills and dashdance or w/e till they screw up or leave you an opening. For the times when you do approach,, do some rising double pills ( or a full-jumped pill followed by a short-hopped/ standing pill) so that they'll have to shield or destroy the pills and shffl nairs.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Yes, definitely play defensive. But to switch things up even more, go on the offense every once in a while (very sparingly). Dash > back WD > Quick Dash to SH Sex Kick works well, as your opponent will usually try to just stop you in your initial dash with one of their ranged attacks (Marth's F-tilt/smash, Ganon's f-tilt, etc...).

Top Bottom