• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The cemetery for dead (or nearly-dead) game mechanics.

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1142]The cemetery for dead (or nearly-dead) game mechanics. [/drupal]

I was thinking of how no one seems to be using health meters in games anymore then I realized that there are a number of dead (or nearly-dead) game mechanics that no one uses anymore. And I felt like writing something so that's how this infernal thing was spawned.

Health Meters:

Out of all games of recent release I could probably count the ones that use health meters on one hand. It would seem that a bar/numbers measuring how much health you have left went out of style along with Pop music and EverQuest. These days a manly FPS hero can just dive under the nearest table and suck his thumb until fully healed if shot to much. But to be honest, I can't decide which I prefer. While I enjoyed playing games like Resistance or Half-Life where you'll be in an intense fire-fight and only survive with one hit point/bar and be thanking the almighty for allowing to live, (and then pretend like it never happened if you're atheist) I found that going around in search of med-packs got tedious and it really sucked if you had low life and no way to heal when all of the sudden a bunch of bad guys made Swiss-cheese out of you. Then on the other hand, the whole auto-heal thing kind of takes away from the action when you have to run to cover so often and also makes the game unrealistic, which is kind of ironic because of how realistic games are trying to be these days.

Lives:

These guys are something that I gladly bid farewell to. Lives are something that should only be reserved for arcades because they are actually a virtual count down to until you have to yank out another fifty-cents to keep playing. When you think about it, it's kind of a dumb idea to put lives into home video games in the first place because it's just annoying when you loose all of your lives and have to start over again. In an arcade if you say "game over" it's saying "you can't play unless you pay, so if you don't the game is over." While in a home game that uses lives it's like saying "game over, only not really because you can keep playing as long as you want just so long as you start again at the beginning of the level."

Ungodly Difficulty:

I never owned a NES, but my cousin did so I played quite a number of NES games and one thing that I've noticed is that they all have an unforgiving difficulty level. Like I recently played some old-school Mega-Man and it felt more like I was punishing myself rather than enjoying myself. Actually this is something that I've wanted to mention after thinking about what djbrowny said about the Water Temple from OOT in my thread about nostalgia. He said that you get a sense of achievement once you've beaten it. And that is what I would call fan-logic. It's a good way to a fan to excuse something thats difficulty was nonadjustable and set all of the way up to "God." Yeah, you could apply that to anything to make it alright. Okay, so the Blue Shell in Mari Kart is the one of the cheapest things I've ever seen in a game but is it a-okay for the guy in last to use one on you and suddenly grab first because it gives him a sense of achievement? I don't think so. Okay, so it's not quite the same but you get the idea. Anyway, back to Mega-Man. I'm glad now you don't have to be either insane or Korean to beat a game.

Turn-Based battles:

I am very well aware that there are still recent games that use this, however, they are a hell of a lot harder to find these days. Once it wouldn't matter if a battle was just you looking at a few sprites waiting for a menu to pop up, but now most gamers aren't satisfied with an RPG battle unless they're furiously mashing the attack button as if they were playing God of War. And before I get jumped for saying that I want to point out that I know that not all recent RPGs are like that, I just had a particular cross-over game in mind when I wrote that. So why is that? I guess people got bored of it and then someone deiced to try and mix real-time combat with RPG battles and thus the action RPG was born. I'm honestly fine with Turn-Based battles and don't mind playing games with them. But while we're on the topic of RPGs...

Random Battles:

I thank God for the disappearance of these. These were just annoying as hell. You'll be on your last limbs, one step until town, then all of the sudden an Ogre pops out of nowhere and tells you with his club "See? This is why you save every other step on the world map!" Ah, these are times that I am more than happy to know to be gone.

Liner Levels:

This is actually far from dead but the amount of open-world games these days is starting to worry me. Referring to any open-world game as a GTA clone holds as much water as calling Team Fortress a Doom clone. Open world games are getting more and more popular as time goes on. There was once a time when I could count the amount of open-world games on one hand. But the good ol' liner world is still around, and this is a style I like. What most developers don't get is that it's okay to have a liner game. I mean look at Starcraft, the story mode is completely liner but it's still one of the best-selling games of all time. I don't quite understand what the point of making an open world is because we all know that most gamers will abuse any and all freedom they are given. Give them a sword and they will go on a rampage in a local village until a guard comes by and kills them. Give them a car and they will use it to run over accountants and old ladies until a cop comes by and kills them. Give them pointy knives hidden in their gloves and they will kill beggars until the entire town comes by and kills them.

I'm willing to bet that in roughly ten or so years quick time events, regenerating health, open worlds and time control will be in here too. Oh well, until then we still have Half-Life and Smash Bros.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Nice post dude.

My brother compares EVERY open world game to GTA, and it annoys me.

"Saint's Row seems good but it's no GTA."

Because its not GTA idiot >.>

Anyways like I said earlier good blog and **** blue shells :)

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
And I guess the Mario series just doesn't exist. Paper Mario has turn-based, the platformers have lives and linear levels. Some levels in SMS and SMB3 had ungodly difficulty.

finalark

SNORLAX
And I guess the Mario series just doesn't exist. Paper Mario has turn-based, the platformers have lives and linear levels. Some levels in SMS and SMB3 had ungodly difficulty.
Yes, I know they exist but note that I'm referring to recent games most of the time.

Scott!

Smash Lord
When I saw this topic, I knew for sure that the seeming end of health and lives. While lives are unnecessary, health being gone is mildly surprising. In the unending quest for realism, you'd think that healing just by standing around somewhere safe would be laughed at. And yet that's how it is in Gears of War and Halo. Personally, the whole idea of healing on the go is a bit odd, though I like how it was handled in MGS3, where Snake had to actually administer medical help to himself.

When it comes to turn-based combat, I'm on the edge. I thought it was fine, but then I played Tales of Symphonia, and it made all console turn-based games slow and tedious. However, I think turn-based games are well-suited to handhelds. That's just me, though.

Quick-time events better die, but I doubt open-world games will anytime soon. The idea of a fully explorable world has only become more popular, especially with games like GTA. I personally don't like GTA, but I want a game with a comparable world to explore, without all of the violence and moral transgressions. And people will always come up with cruel ways to manipulate the game for kicks anyway.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Difficulty is considered a mechanic now? Lol.

In that case, every modern game with selectable difficulty settings should include an "NES" difficulty level, which is higher than any of the other difficulty levels due to controls becoming much less responsive, getting killed by a single bullet (or equivalent), and having the floor drop out from under you from time to time.

"Dude, I just beat Halo 3 on Legendary!"

"Yeah? I ALMOST got through level one on NES!!"

"Shut your filthy liar mouth. That's impossible."

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I agree with random battles statement. I hate random battles, they slow down the game so much (and yes, I know you can always Run).

Scott!

Smash Lord
That would be awesome. And it is a bit odd to see difficulty as a mechanic, but I do see the point he's trying to make. It is a thing of the past, to the extent that games made today are not nearly as challenging as NES games could be. I mean really, in a shooter game, you heal for existing. Just standing there heals you. I would like to see a game where you don't heal at all ever. You keep the same health for the entire level, no extra bits to be found anywhere. The only way to heal is to die. Maybe an FPS where you play as a whole squad, and once you die as one, you take over as the next until they're all dead. These may exist; I don't follow the genre that closely. I just see games like Gears of War and Halo, where standing behind a rock will make your bullet wounds close up.

Skrah

Smash Ace
MGS3 had a pretty cool healing system, but unfortunately FPS are so popular because of the action, and stopping every once in a while to heal would slow it down. Since gamers these days want nonstop action, healing involves hiding in a random corner for a few seconds while the red tint disappears from the screen.

Although I do like turn based, I don't see what's wrong with that.

And there's plenty of health bars, but just in different forms. Lots of fighters still have health bars, Zelda has health bars in the form of hearts, RPG's in the form of little numbers, and so on.

Top Bottom