• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
The digivice symbol looks great, but I wouldn't mind having either of the other 2
The only reason I really like the idea of the eye being the symbol, is the fact that the growing flare effect that you can see in-game would be noticed in the iris of the digital monster's eye symbol. That alone would be so cool to see.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel that it's probable for whoever the voice actor that played Agumon in said country's language would make the return. There's 11 languages within the settings for Ultimate. They include: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.

The wiki states, "For characters who are only voiced in English and Japanese, Asian language localizations use the Japanese voices, whereas Western language localizations use the English voices. As in previous titles, a small number of characters are also voiced in French, Spanish, German and Italian."

This probably means we're getting Tom Fahn. I don't know of the other 8+ languages, but I'm gonna presume Chika Sakamoto is still doing the Agumon role in Japan. Otherwise, I have no idea of anyone else.

Fun question. You all are aware of the franchise emblems in Smash Bros., yeah? The series symbol if you will.

View attachment 221615

This is Bayonetta's series symbol represented in Super Smash Bros. So my question.

What series symbol best represents Agumon in your opinion? There's actually a few they could go with. Everyone probably is thinking the digivice, but I kinda feel it's a toss-up between several ideas.

These ideas I feel could be:
View attachment 221621View attachment 221622View attachment 221623

Any one of those three works for me. Heck, even the original-looking Digital Monsters / virtual pets would be convincing too. Back on the 3rd page, someone already made this so. Well done to them:
View attachment 221624
The colored Digivice for Player-1 slot looks great. But it really varies on which Agumon gets into Smash. But frankly, Agumon seen from the anime franchise is basically featured in most of the digimon games. Or at least, the design-look of Agumon from Adventure resmembles most Agumons from the games. So it'd be a obvious fit to use the Digivice for that perhaps.
id say didigvice or a v-pet as i still done think we'll get anime stuff

also whyd you give us an example of a random series symbol?

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I feel that it's probable for whoever the voice actor that played Agumon in said country's language would make the return. There's 11 languages within the settings for Ultimate. They include: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.

The wiki states, "For characters who are only voiced in English and Japanese, Asian language localizations use the Japanese voices, whereas Western language localizations use the English voices. As in previous titles, a small number of characters are also voiced in French, Spanish, German and Italian."

This probably means we're getting Tom Fahn. I don't know of the other 8+ languages, but I'm gonna presume Chika Sakamoto is still doing the Agumon role in Japan. Otherwise, I have no idea of anyone else.

Fun question. You all are aware of the franchise emblems in Smash Bros., yeah? The series symbol if you will.

View attachment 221615

This is Bayonetta's series symbol represented in Super Smash Bros. So my question.

What series symbol best represents Agumon in your opinion? There's actually a few they could go with. Everyone probably is thinking the digivice, but I kinda feel it's a toss-up between several ideas.

These ideas I feel could be:
View attachment 221621View attachment 221622View attachment 221623

Any one of those three works for me. Heck, even the original-looking Digital Monsters / virtual pets would be convincing too. Back on the 3rd page, someone already made this so. Well done to them:
View attachment 221624
The colored Digivice for Player-1 slot looks great. But it really varies on which Agumon gets into Smash. But frankly, Agumon seen from the anime franchise is basically featured in most of the digimon games. Or at least, the design-look of Agumon from Adventure resmembles most Agumons from the games. So it'd be a obvious fit to use the Digivice for that perhaps.
I think the Tamagotchi is very likely as well for a symbol

hqdefault.jpg

Or the Original Digimon Logo ( In Pink/Purple ) :

5695233751_9bf0a31135_b.jpg

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Man... there's so many good ideas in this thread. I'm re-reading page-by-page from 1 to here. But I'm just so torn.

The pet care mechanics coming up are really cool, but I doubt we'll get that much UI around the Damage Meter. But that's the beauty of Digimon games, right? Having all those elements & mechanics to keep up after would be perfect homage to the fighter. But it's simply too much to see on the screen at the exact same time.

I hate saying that because I want to agree, but I have little confidence in the idea. The most complicated characters in this regard are between :ultrobin::ultrobinf: & :ultshulk:. Those characters have HUB elements around their Damage Meter or constantly switch between tomes/levin & monado arts. You have to keep track of the bars & resources they have from usage and or duration including cooldowns. And only one thing is shown at a time despite having multiple resources. That's where I can't continue to agree with Agumon's HUB elements as an idea from the vPet games. However, the vPet mechanics could be a toggle of some sort, maybe? Only show one piece of element / mechanic at a time. Yet, that's hard to decide for, honestly. It's just a lot of source material put into the character who already has SO MUCH they can work with. And if you don't use half of it, Agumon's entirety of a video game identity would be a tragic waste of potential to the whole franchise of Digital Monsters. That's what I think is the hardest part about this character's inclusion in Smash. If you only add Greymon, or MetalGreymon, or WarGreymon, or whoever else like a Tamer paired mechanic by itself, then it already feels like the total depth of interest is cut by more than half for it's entire shtick. Not including the full line of Child/Rookie → Champion → Ultimate and or Mega would be seen as a utter waste & a missed opportunity. If we don't even use mechanics like pet caring straight for the vPet games or World games, then it's an utter waste.

That's the hardest thing to admit for Agumon. Like, I want this character so bad. I've wanted previous characters like Sceptile & Spyro the Dragon to be in Smash. But Agumon has it the hardest for me not because it's impossible to include a Digimon, but because there's WAY TOO MUCH riding on source material to take from the games. When developers design characters to be in Smash, they usually do a good job of representing the fighter from their respective franchise(?). It's not that hard to represent the character's inclusion if you compare Sceptile or Spyro. Agumon though... it's so much harder to impress the majority.

But that also comes with problems. Not enough source material included for a fighter's move-set is seen as a wasted opportunity but if you opt for genuinely trying to include as much as you can, it'd be too much development. That's the hardest part to accept, IMO. A lot of time & a lot of resources to spare, only 1 character slot.

Anywho, other things like multiple digivolutions would be cool. Having an inferior digivolution process as a result of improper mechanics to punish the player seems fun, but only for that hot second you think about it. Taking advantage of that in competitive play? Hell no. I wouldn't support anything other than a primary digi-line they decide for Agumon's inclusion of Digivolution.

Graizen Graizen OH MY GOD THAT ICON IS SICK! (scaled the image size to be small enough for being next to the Damage Meter.)
digimon_tamers_icon_by_bazookatone-d7pa8gd.png

And yes I also am in the group of people that recognizes this more closely to Tamers season than Digimon as a whole, but this series symbol would be absolutely mint.

So... yeah. Still in the rough draft phase of thinking about the video.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Man... there's so many good ideas in this thread. I'm re-reading page-by-page from 1 to here. But I'm just so torn.

The pet care mechanics coming up are really cool, but I doubt we'll get that much UI around the Damage Meter. But that's the beauty of Digimon games, right? Having all those elements & mechanics to keep up after would be perfect homage to the fighter. But it's simply too much to see on the screen at the exact same time.

I hate saying that because I want to agree, but I have little confidence in the idea. The most complicated characters in this regard are between :ultrobin::ultrobinf: & :ultshulk:. Those characters have HUB elements around their Damage Meter or constantly switch between tomes/levin & monado arts. You have to keep track of the bars & resources they have from usage and or duration including cooldowns. And only one thing is shown at a time despite having multiple resources. That's where I can't continue to agree with Agumon's HUB elements as an idea from the vPet games. However, the vPet mechanics could be a toggle of some sort, maybe? Only show one piece of element / mechanic at a time. Yet, that's hard to decide for, honestly. It's just a lot of source material put into the character who already has SO MUCH they can work with. And if you don't use half of it, Agumon's entirety of a video game identity would be a tragic waste of potential to the whole franchise of Digital Monsters. That's what I think is the hardest part about this character's inclusion in Smash. If you only add Greymon, or MetalGreymon, or WarGreymon, or whoever else like a Tamer paired mechanic by itself, then it already feels like the total depth of interest is cut by more than half for it's entire shtick. Not including the full line of Child/Rookie → Champion → Ultimate and or Mega would be seen as a utter waste & a missed opportunity. If we don't even use mechanics like pet caring straight for the vPet games or World games, then it's an utter waste.

That's the hardest thing to admit for Agumon. Like, I want this character so bad. I've wanted previous characters like Sceptile & Spyro the Dragon to be in Smash. But Agumon has it the hardest for me not because it's impossible to include a Digimon, but because there's WAY TOO MUCH riding on source material to take from the games. When developers design characters to be in Smash, they usually do a good job of representing the fighter from their respective franchise(?). It's not that hard to represent the character's inclusion if you compare Sceptile or Spyro. Agumon though... it's so much harder to impress the majority.

But that also comes with problems. Not enough source material included for a fighter's move-set is seen as a wasted opportunity but if you opt for genuinely trying to include as much as you can, it'd be too much development. That's the hardest part to accept, IMO. A lot of time & a lot of resources to spare, only 1 character slot.

Anywho, other things like multiple digivolutions would be cool. Having an inferior digivolution process as a result of improper mechanics to punish the player seems fun, but only for that hot second you think about it. Taking advantage of that in competitive play? Hell no. I wouldn't support anything other than a primary digi-line they decide for Agumon's inclusion of Digivolution.

Graizen Graizen OH MY GOD THAT ICON IS SICK! (scaled the image size to be small enough for being next to the Damage Meter.)
View attachment 221915
And yes I also am in the group of people that recognizes this more closely to Tamers season than Digimon as a whole, but this series symbol would be absolutely mint.

So... yeah. Still in the rough draft phase of thinking about the video.
you may be over thinking this slightly, it is impossible to include representation to everything which is why i think they would focus the moveset on the core components of the franchise, something that could be found in just about any game, in other words digivolution

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So, what Digimons would you like to see as Spirits and Mii Costumes?
Adventure nostalgia screams Wizardmon, Gatomon, Devimon, & Myotismon. Legendary top-class spirits would be the Dark Masters (MetalSeadramon, Machinedramon, Puppetmon, & Piedmon.)

My all-time most requested Spirits though? They'd be Betamon, Tyrannomon, Megadramon, & Machinedramon. Those four spirits are love & life. After that, then I'd like to see Guilmon's digi-line spirits. A lot of the cards, chips, & other digivice accessories could be support spirits.

Mii costumes I have a post for that:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For Spirits, a few Digidestined, maybe all the main protagonists and Ryo. Though there's a lot of other ones besides those.

All the core Megas from Adventure 1 and 2(that includes Magnadramon and Ophanimon), the Dark Masters, MaloMyotismon.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
(Whew, I'm all caught up with the 44 pages now.)

I feel like a lot of the support spirits would fit perfectly well too. The thing though is that, would it be similar to Pokemon's case? What I mean is, if Digimon's Spirits fell under the same result of integration as Pokemon are in Smash, then all of the Digimon spirits would be actual Digimon, nothing else. No chips, no floppy disks, no pet-care related items, nothing.

The only difference is that Fighter Spirits would or would not have any Tamers depending on how Agumon would be included in Smash.

Another thing. We've discussed pet-care mechanics in that they could have HUB elements displayed, but something more simple could be done & easily implemented instead.

39318257_705481463118892_965319918687879168_n.jpg
large.jpg

The bars of data can simply stack on top of each other next to the Damage Meter. It could blink, or just fill as you get closer to Digivolution.

Zeox

Smash Champion
The last month I done nothing but upload 3D Digimon models to the workshop of Source Filmmaker.
Source Filmmaker is a program made by Valve to make animations, people usually use them for making meme animations and dumb stuff, and the workshop is the place where people share models, maps, sounds etc, so other people can use them.
Here's some examples of animations:

Try to guess which one of these two is made by a company and which one is made by a normal user.
And I come here to share some pics:

These are not all the models, it's just a compilation of my favorite preview images that I made for them.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
(Whew, I'm all caught up with the 44 pages now.)

I feel like a lot of the support spirits would fit perfectly well too. The thing though is that, would it be similar to Pokemon's case? What I mean is, if Digimon's Spirits fell under the same result of integration as Pokemon are in Smash, then all of the Digimon spirits would be actual Digimon, nothing else. No chips, no floppy disks, no pet-care related items, nothing.

The only difference is that Fighter Spirits would or would not have any Tamers depending on how Agumon would be included in Smash.

Another thing. We've discussed pet-care mechanics in that they could have HUB elements displayed, but something more simple could be done & easily implemented instead.

View attachment 222386View attachment 222387

The bars of data can simply stack on top of each other next to the Damage Meter. It could blink, or just fill as you get closer to Digivolution.
Good idea!!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that any of the human characters from the anime will appear as Spirits because I believe that Toei owns the rights to them.

D

Deleted member

I think I should have added the upcoming Digimon game for my bingo.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I just want Next Order to be on Switch now. And oh-la-la, if they could do a pre-order bundle again to get the DLC like they did for PS4?! MMM MM MMMH!

Digimon World 1 OST baybee!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would like to try some of them so id be for switch ports, havent played to many of the games to my shame

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So it's getting closer to June, & I was thinking that maybe we'd have a civil discussion about the idea of Agumon as an entire character in Smash. What does everyone think?

If we decide on just move-set one attack at a time, then we can find out what we generally expect Agumon to have if the Digimon got into Smash. Sound like fun? We can also generally vote & discuss if he'd have said game mechanics & certain attributes about the fighter's archetype as well.

EDIT: Liking the post is fine but, does that mean people want me to go first? ;-;

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So it's getting closer to June, & I was thinking that maybe we'd have a civil discussion about the idea of Agumon as an entire character in Smash. What does everyone think?

If we decide on just move-set one attack at a time, then we can find out what we generally expect Agumon to have if the Digimon got into Smash. Sound like fun? We can also generally vote & discuss if he'd have said game mechanics & certain attributes about the fighter's archetype as well.

EDIT: Liking the post is fine but, does that mean people want me to go first? ;-;
well i think we'd all agree pepper breath should be his neutral special

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Y'know, I've never played Digimon.

But I wanna support this guy for my buddy Graizen Graizen .

Go Team Agumon.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ight, eff it. It's time.

So here's the thing. BEFORE we talk about move-set (most of us probably would agree with Pepper Breath being Neutral-B. Not a doubt in my mind), I want to discuss what we think he'd have for statistics.

In Smash Bros., this usually refers to things like:
download (7).png

Does that sound good? Or do we just want to talk about move-set? I'm fine with either or.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Y'know, I've never played Digimon.

But I wanna support this guy for my buddy Graizen Graizen .

Go Team Agumon.
I mean, the majority of Digimon fans also didn't play any Digimon game, because the best part of the Digimon franchise is the anime, specially the first season "Digimon Adventure" and the third one "Digimon Tamers".
But the english dub kinda ruined them by changing the soundtrack and changing the plot, so I guess a big portion of people just saw the Japanese dub with subtitles.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ight, eff it. It's time.

So here's the thing. BEFORE we talk about move-set (most of us probably would agree with Pepper Breath being Neutral-B. Not a doubt in my mind), I want to discuss what we think he'd have for statistics.

View attachment 223331

Does that sound good? Or do we just want to talk about move-set? I'm fine with either or.
Oh, jeez. I totally forgot about stuff like this. That's something I have to keep in mind for my other movesets too. Thank you so much for bringing it up.

Now, to get onto this;

I think Agumon works fine with the basic 2 jumps. MetalGreymon could easily have a few extra, like up to 4 or 5 respectively. I can see any of them but WarGreymon crawling easily. They actually are pretty good at taking those positions. None sound like they'd Wall Jump, imo. They have claws each, so a Wall Cling sounds possible. Only MetalGreymon sounds like they could use a Tether. I don't know how the other 3 work beyond that. Unless you mean the least amount of lag for "Soft Landing Lag" and most for "Hard Landing Lag". I have no clue what a Jumpsquat is.

At the very least, my latest moveset remembered the various get-up attacks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ight, eff it. It's time.

View attachment 223331

wall jumps a tethers done seem right for agumon

But the english dub kinda ruined them by changing the soundtrack and changing the plot, so I guess a big portion of people just saw the Japanese dub with subtitles.
i think youve been watching a different dub from the rest of us

also the soundtrack would likely be due to a licencing issue

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ight, eff it. It's time.

View attachment 223331

Max Jumps probably 2, like almost all other characters.
Wall Jump is a no.
Wall cling probably a no as well.
Crawl maybe.

I think mobility is not Agumon's strenght lol

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Good, good...

So Agumon for starters. From the way he sounds & would feel, I'd imagine this for Agumon:
  • 2 max jumps
  • wall jump is optional, but not likely
  • But tech-wall jump is entirely true / possible
  • No wall cling
  • Can have a crawl
  • No tether
  • 3F jumpsquat like every other character
  • Soft Landing Lag is 2F
  • Hard Landing Lag is 4F
The only differences I would imagine that any digivolutions past Agumon would get that changes would be:

Champion level
  • Crawl is optional, or no crawl
  • Hard Landing Lag might bump up to 5F
Ultimate level
  • Max jumps bumps up to 3, or 4
  • Hard Landing Lag might bump up to 5F or 6F (or, if the form isn't even huge / large, remains 4F)
Mega level(?)
  • Max jumps bumps up to 3, or reverts back to 2
  • Hard Landing Lag might bump up to 5F (or, reverts back to 4F)

I'm not too confident in the digivolution forms in what they'd be, but, it's a start.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Good, good...

So Agumon for starters. From the way he sounds & would feel, I'd imagine this for Agumon:
  • 2 max jumps
  • wall jump is optional, but not likely
  • But tech-wall jump is entirely true / possible
  • No wall cling
  • Can have a crawl
  • No tether
  • 3F jumpsquat like every other character
  • Soft Landing Lag is 2F
  • Hard Landing Lag is 4F
The only differences I would imagine that any digivolutions past Agumon would get that changes would be:

Champion level
  • Hard Landing Lag might bump up to 5F
Ultimate level
  • Max jumps bumps up to 3, or 4
  • Hard Landing Lag might bump up to 5F or 6F (or, if the form isn't even huge / large, remains 4F)
Mega level(?)
  • Max jumps bumps up to 3, or reverts back to 2
  • Hard Landing Lag might bump up to 5F (or, reverts back to 4F)

I'm not too confident in the digivolution forms in what they'd be, but, it's a start.
MetalGreymon has this:

Trident Arm: Launches its retractable Trident Arm on a cable.
So maybe he can use this as a Tether.

And WarGreymon can fly.

Graizen

Smash Champion
English Digimon 20th Anniversary V-Pet Info, Images, and Updates

normal_digimon_vpet20thenglish_1boxfront_may22_2019.jpg

With info having drip-feeded for nearly half a year from vague to more solid, and with us having gotten some additional info and images from Bandai, a general catchup article seeded warranted for the upcoming English release of the Digimon 20th Anniversary V-Pet.

The new English V-Pets are equivalent to the Digital Monster Version 20th released a few years in Japan (with anything necessary in English.) The new V-Pets should have all the features the Japanese release did, minus the ability to output passwords to use in the D-1 Grand Prix online tournaments.

normal_digimon_vpet20thenglish_2boxback_may22_2019.jpg

The US release of these will be $20 and be available from Gamestop, Amazon, and other retailers.

Pre-Orders in the US as of the time of this posting are only available so far IN STORE at Gamestop. You have to go to the store, and give them the SKU 191562. At that point you can pay the full price, or put down $5. They may refer to it as 'Digimon Digivice' and/or simply 'Digivice'. Various Bandai documentation is using these terms, and Bandai was using the name even in response to questions I sent them. This is the correct item. We expect it to be listed online at Gamestop and other stores soon. Pre-purchasing in store it isn't clear if you get a random color, or if you choose at time of pickup which you want.

In Canada, EBGames Canada currently has them up for $30 each, chosen randomly.

In Australia, EBGames Australia 'had' them up yesterday for $38, but the page has since been taken down. It will likely go back up soon. GameTraders also has them up for $30.

Information about other English speaking territories are not available at the time.

The release date has been different based on where you look, Bandai says they should begin to show up in early July for the US.

normal_digimon_vpet20thenglish_3brick_may22_2019.jpg

The 4 colors for the English release Bandai is calling Brick, Gray, Blue and Yellow.

The 5 Japanese colors were Brown, Gray, Omegamon (White), Alphamon (Black), and Zubamon (Gold.)

Our Brick is the same color as the Japanese Brown (the red one with brown on secondary elements.) Gray is the same color as it was in Japan. Blue and Yellow are colors that were used in the original release, but not in the Japanese 20th release.

The EBGames Australia listing when it was up apparently specified an exclusive egg for each. The 5 Japanese 20th V-Pets each had an exclusive egg. When asked about the special eggs, how they may work, and if there might be a 5th release (possibly as a con exclusive) the response from Bandai was they are releasing 4 colors with no further comment.

normal_digimon_vpet20thenglish_4gray_may22_2019.jpg

A watermarked version of the manual to the new English V-Pet can be found here. It goes over various details and it largely what you would expect for an English version of the 20th V-Pet. If you plan to get one reading over it ahead of time will likely be helpful.

normal_digimon_vpet20thenglish_5blue_may22_2019.jpg

We have a thread for discussion of the new V-Pets, where you can also get help once they are out. The thread can be found here.

Thanks to Bandai for the images and info, and Tama-Palace for the manual and some prior info.

Source: https://withthewill.net/threads/21667-English-Digimon-20th-Anniversary-V-Pet-Info-Images-and-Updates

A good sign!

Sem título.jpg

Zeox

Smash Champion
Dorumon should have a hat / spirit, it's the protagonist of a Digimon film and it represents every "X Antibody" variant.

Graizen

Smash Champion
On Saturday, July 6th at 10am in Live Programming 5 (room LACC 404AB) there will be a panel called 'The Future of Digimon'.

The panel description on the Anime Expo website gives some basic information, along with showing the panel is being presented by both Toei and Bandai:
Come to a digi-monumental panel presented by Toei Animation and BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America! Join us as we talk about the Digimon brand, watch new trailers, Q&A session, giveaway prizes, and more!

A few interesting teases there, which will hopefully pan out. The panel is scheduled to run for an hour.

Hopefully we get some good info in the panel and some Digimon related guests get announced for the panel and convention.

In addition, on top of the normal range of people who offer to take pictures and be on the floor and at panels for us, I'll be at Anime Expo this year for the entire convention.

We'll update with any further special Digimon stuff that gets announced for Anime Expo.

Anime Expo 2019 is at the Los Angeles Convention Center July 4th thru 7th with a pre-show night on July 3rd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom