• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Brawl-Melee Debate: A Different View

KyloWinter

Smash Ace
5) Online play allows much longer replay value and yet another aspect available for competitions and honing skills, even if the conditions are not ideal.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Online is only decent when you are playing someone in the same town as you and if you are farther than that than it is unplayable. And if you are playing someone across town get in a **** car and play on the same system.

A half a second delay? For anyone who plays other online games such as Counter Strike that would be the equivalent of 500 ping. In online leagues like CAL if your ping difference is over 30 you can refuse to play due to lag. Since brawl is hosted by the players machines and not independent servers the ping difference is always going to be huge. They try to compensate for this by slowing down gameplay for everyone which doesn't work. Everyone slows down and it messes with the flow of the whole game. The game stops registering your inputs and you end up running across the stage and do a dash attack when you tried to stutter step fsmash.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Which is depth, in your opinion, landing a hit you know the opponent can't stop, or tricking the opponent so you can land your next hit?

It seems by depth, you actually just mean physical skill, depth usually refers to a mental attribute.
Not what I am talking about. In Melee (just like in Brawl), you have to predict where they DI. The difference is how will you choose to punish this DI. Should I hit them upwards and hope I can follow afterwards? Should I end early by using a KO move to setup an edgeguard oppurtunity knowing that my opponent will DI away from combos? Should I hit them towards the platform so I can techchase their techs (or not techs) from there and if I do, should I tech chase with a move that is easier to hit or do I know where they are going so well to get either a really good combo starter oppurtunity or a KO move? In brawl, if I hit you, it is back to how you would react to approaching someone in the air....which happens a pretty good bit in Melee except the aspect for the offense is more balanced.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
Shields arnt as godly as people make them out to be... if your smart you can weaken there shield a little bit and hit the opening, shields got nurfed in the fact that only yoshi shield can completly block his whole body... you've got to play this as super smash brothers brawl, not as super smash brothers melee 2.0 to fully understand what this game can be... just narrow minded people who don't understand that.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
thank you alphazealot for this very well thought out argument for brawl. you said everything i have thought but have never been able to say right. especially about the advanced techs being crutches for some people.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Which is depth, in your opinion, landing a hit you know the opponent can't stop, or tricking the opponent so you can land your next hit?

It seems by depth, you actually just mean physical skill, depth usually refers to a mental attribute.
It appears that the definition of depth is different among the two sides... Perhaps a better question would be more specific:

Is it better to land an entire combo with hits that the opponent cannot react to or with hits that the opponent could have reacted to... On the former side, it can be argued that the matches become deep because the player cannot make a mistake that will put them in such jeopardy... On the latter side, it can be argued that the matches become deep because the player had to react quickly and trick the opponent into being caught into a string of moves...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Shields arnt as godly as people make them out to be... if your smart you can weaken there shield a little bit and hit the opening, shields got nurfed in the fact that only yoshi shield can completly block his whole body... you've got to play this as super smash brothers brawl, not as super smash brothers melee 2.0 to fully understand what this game can be... just narrow minded people who don't understand that.
Okay, this is what you do. Hold the shield, roll back. THAT'S IT! You can put down your shield and almost immediately act again because shield stun is low.

Also, Jesus christ. After I score my initial hit on a combo, the foe has to DI. You have to chase their DI, predict where they will go, and score the next hit. Combos do require skill.

FightCity

Smash Cadet
true

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Online is only decent when you are playing someone in the same town as you and if you are farther than that than it is unplayable. And if you are playing someone across town get in a **** car and play on the same system.

A half a second delay? For anyone who plays other online games such as Counter Strike that would be the equivalent of 500 ping. In online leagues like CAL if your ping difference is over 30 you can refuse to play due to lag. Since brawl is hosted by the players machines and not independent servers the ping difference is always going to be huge. They try to compensate for this by slowing down gameplay for everyone which doesn't work. Everyone slows down and it messes with the flow of the whole game. The game stops registering your inputs and you end up running across the stage and do a dash attack when you tried to stutter step fsmash.
I know what you mean. From what I've seen it's unbearable to play in. I'm real picky when it comes to online fighters compared to the average person though. From my experience, the higher the delay/lag, the more the game becomes about prediction then reaction. :bee:

SynikaL

Smash Lord
No it doesn't. Depth simply implies the concept "how much". While comparing the two games generally, in regards to this concept, Melee outclasses Brawl (at this point, at least) by a chasmic margin.

However, in the specific context you're addressing, Brawl wins.

The problem Melee enthusiasts have, here, is that "landing a hit you know the opponent can't stop" involves a level of exploration, dedication and satisfaction not found in the same context regarding Brawl. All three of those elements create an endearing synergy missing from that particular game (what makes combos fun to perform).

Neither concept is necessarily better than the other. That's what you and others involved in this debacle (mostly Melee players) fail to understand. But once the Ego is stripped from each side through refinement of the whole situation, people will begin to understand this.

Melee's "depth" -- in the context you've highlighted -- is more inline with more traditional fighters that the gaming community at large is familiar with. Therefore, it rationally follows that it would be harder to accept Brawl's admittedly unconventional concept of "depth" for a lot of individuals.

-Kimosabae

DOCTORSTUPID

Smash Apprentice
Bloody Good SHOW Old ****head

I DIDNT READ A SINGLE WORD OF IT IT WAS WAY TOO LONG IF YOU CAN SUM IT UP IN ABOUT THREE WORDS I WOULD PROBOLY READ BUT THAT WOULD BE PUSHING IT BUT I DO CONGRDGULATE YOU ON MAKING ME FEEL LIKE AN ILLEITERATE.:lick::lick::dizzy::dizzy::psycho::psycho:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
When you land a relatively weak hit on an opponent, the opponent typically has three possible responses and you have three choices in following up. It's something like this:

-aerial (beats ground, loses to some aerials, depending on priority)
-airdodge (loses to a well-timed ground attack)
-jump (escapes ground attacks, might get hit by aerials)
-up+B if Meta Knight (wrecks any attempts to approach)

vs

-aerial
-ground attack
-do nothing

So, basically, the defending player has more options to reset the situation to neutral than you do to continue the offensive. Worse, continuing the offensive against some defensive options will end up severely hurting you. Chasing in to follow up from an attack and then getting wrecked by a Shuttle Loop will happen all too often if you're too aggressive. And, if you can't perfectly predict what your opponent will do all the time, your best option after scoring that hit really is to just get back and find an opening to score another single hit.

I really dislike this kind of gameplay, and it's what I encounter a lot when playing against any of the better characters in the game.

RDK

Smash Hero
No it doesn't. Depth simply implies the concept "how much". While comparing the two games generally, in regards to this concept, Melee outclasses Brawl (at this point, at least) by a chasmic margin.

However, in the specific context you're addressing, Brawl wins.

The problem Melee enthusiasts have, here, is that "landing a hit you know the opponent can't stop" involves a level of exploration, dedication and satisfaction not found in the same context regarding Brawl. All three of those elements create an endearing synergy missing from that particular game (what makes combos fun to perform).

Neither concept is necessarily better than the other. That's what you and others involved in this debacle (mostly Melee players) fail to understand. But once the Ego is stripped from each side through refinement of the whole situation, people will begin to understand this.

Melee's "depth" -- in the context you've highlighted -- is more inline with more traditional fighters that the gaming community at large is familiar with. Therefore, it rationally follows that it would be harder to accept Brawl's admittedly unconventional concept of "depth" for a lot of individuals.

-Kimosabae
You do a really good job of waxing poetic without actually saying anything of real value. Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically what I just got out of all that is Melee is physically deeper than Brawl, and Brawl is only decievingly deep on the outside? Did this really need to be restated?

So, basically, the defending player has more options to reset the situation to neutral than you do to continue the offensive. Worse, continuing the offensive against some defensive options will end up severely hurting you. Chasing in to follow up from an attack and then getting wrecked by a Shuttle Loop will happen all too often if you're too aggressive. And, if you can't perfectly predict what your opponent will do all the time, your best option after scoring that hit really is to just get back and find an opening to score another single hit.

I really dislike this kind of gameplay, and it's what I encounter a lot when playing against any of the better characters in the game.
Not only that, but this gameplay is incredibly circular and lacking in explorative potential. There are actually less options to counter both offensive and defensive tactics, depending on which character we're talking about. It's almost a MvC2 situation, where almost everything is broken. Projectile camping, spamming, turtling, etc. It just gets old after a while.

This is why I stand by Yuna's original statement that, if played to its fullest potential without limiting ourself with scrub mindsets, Brawl is just one big campfest. Brawl is 10 times more imbalanced than Melee ever was, even with all is space animals and shine combos. People who say otherwise are fools.

AlexX

Smash Ace
My wifi doesn't work, but my friends comment that the lag isn't unbearable as long as the opponent isn't more than a country away. Obviously if someone in New York attempted to play someone in Austrailia, there's going to be problems, but play someone in say.... Vancouver, Canada from San Francisco, California, and it's not that bad. They testify that coast-to-coast brawls have noticable, but not unplayable amounts of lag.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
When you land a relatively weak hit on an opponent, the opponent typically has three possible responses and you have three choices in following up. It's something like this:

-aerial (beats ground, loses to some aerials, depending on priority)
-airdodge (loses to a well-timed ground attack)
-jump (escapes ground attacks, might get hit by aerials)
-up+B if Meta Knight (wrecks any attempts to approach)

vs

-aerial
-ground attack
-do nothing

you're doing it wrong.

when you knock your opponent away and race in for the follow up, how about you throw out a projectile and follow that?

'why would i do that?' you might ask. Well its simple, obviously the defense has a lot of options that is true. This means you must force them to chose one of those options because they can't possibly use them all at once.

tl;dr- if you throw out a Bomb/firbal/missle/lazer ect you wont get shuttle looped. sure, they could catch an item projectile, in which case you can most likely dash attack or do whatever you want. if they shield it you can grab. Getting the read on your opponent is the key to any fighting game, especially a defensive one. I can't tell you what to do every time, no one can. Get the read on your opponent and make an adjustment from their and you wont have the same problems you do now

SynikaL

Smash Lord
You do a really good job of waxing poetic without actually saying anything of real value.

Please. If there's something you don't understand about my posts, just ask. Adopting such a raucous attitude just makes you look supremely unintelligent (at least, to me).

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but basically what I just got out of all that is Melee is physically deeper than Brawl, and Brawl is only decievingly deep on the outside? "

Not quite. My argument is that while Brawl is quantifiably "deeper" <-- thorough understanding of the verbiage here is imperative -- on a general level (at this point), Alpha's contextual premise ( the concept of action vs reaction, vs the concept of elaborate combo systems ) allows Brawl to come out on top there.

The concept of action vs reaction hosts exponentially more possibilities than elaborate combination systems when the human mind is involved, simply because it is broader in nature (it encompasses "more". <---"How much" relates to "depth"). Even when a system imposes specific limitations (in this case, a video game).

Push the ego aside a minute. Please don't think that just because I'm some random guy on some video game message board, that I can't teach you something. I wouldn't put that ability past you.

-Kimosabae

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I read the first three pages of this thread, so excuse me if I repeat stuff, but I'll try and keep this post brief.

First, I'll state some obvious things based off of what I'm going to talk about.

It's easier to be defensive in Brawl than in Melee
Melee was faster in Brawl

Now personally, I think the Brawl developers did not come up with an effective way to punish shielding.

Brawl fighting is a lot more like REAL fighting than Melee. In real fighting (like in Brawl), making the first move is not advisable. In real life, when two opponents are preparing to fight, most times they do not run in swinging, most times the first hit will not connect. Defense is supposed to be greater than offense, or there would be no point in shielding altogether. In every form of fighting, war, and physical combat, being on the defensive is not good, as you can't land damage, but EASIER. This is represented in Brawl as well.

What seems to be the problem here is that Brawl does not have the same unreal mechanics of Melee which allow unrealistic things to occur (such as 02Death Combos). If you are attacking me consistently, and I'm consistently getting hit, I suck at fighting. Blocking an attack is generally easier than landing one if both fighters know what they are doing.

The problem is that in Brawl, players have TOO much stamina. The number of hits that a player can sustain is probably, since we aren't playing based off of a Hitpoint system; rather, we use a K.O. system. That's fine, and I must quote Sakurai when he said, "If you had to call it something, I'd say it's almost like a sport."

For those of you that are comparing Brawl to other fighting games so adamantly, I believe taking another thought at this might be advised.

To me, Brawl is more like a Boxing type of game, or perhaps even fencing, more than I see it as your standard fighting game.

Bad or good, that's up to you. I find it funner than Melee, which I was relatively good in, though horrible by pro/competitive standards (I got into the pro game later) and I am very good at Brawl (still room for improvement).

As for combos in Brawl being impossible, I am annoyed with this claim, and the general definition of combos. As Brawl registers, combos are consecutive hits in which your opponent has no chance to react to except DI. There is nothing like this in real life, which is why I call Brawl more like Boxing. However, being able to guess what your opponent does next and following up within a reasonable field on an environment to land consecutive hits is what I generally refer to as a combo. What it seems that many players often forget is that relying on physics to "combo" instead of just ******** character speed (IE: wavedashing, l cancelling, etc) is still a viable way to fight.

I note a few of these physics to give an example.

You cannot shield in midair
Holding the shield degenerates it over time
You cannot move while shielding
Air-dodging causes vulnerability afterwards
You will fall downwards if you are in midair, regardless of air-dodging

I main Marth. If done properly (and this does require technical execution for those of you that aren't Marth players) you may be able to chain Fair to Uair to Utilt giving your opponent no chance to react. But there are other ways to rack up damage. I call upon instance A.

I was fighting my best friend who was using Kirby. He is a very good player. I once again was using Marth. His Utilt does not combo into itself, but from low damages and mid, it knocks your opponent slightly above you enough so that due to the game gravity, you can land another hit if your opponent does not dodge afterwards. Naturally after I throw the Uair, my opponent dodges so they don't get hit by a second one. All I must do is simply wait a little while for this dodge to fade before throwing the next one. There is enough of a delay on my attack that I can be a little early, and still land damage, starting the sequence over.

The whole point of that was to explain that due to the predictability of most defensive tactics causes them to be almost as punishable as offensive tactics if you are PATIENT on the OFFENSE as well, which I find most people are not. I've broken the shields of players in tournaments who were winning against me with shield-breaker, simply while trying to camp toward the edge, they limited their option on roll-dodging away, and Marth's shield-breaker has ******** forward range. I wait until after their side-step dodge (something FAR too many players don't do often enough) for the release, and either nail their shield, or sometimes K.O. them.

My point, defensive tactics are MORE obvious than offensive tactics, (characters have far more ways to attack than defense) and can be punished if patience is applied (or just by using Diddy, rofl). When I play Fox or Falco, more times than not, when I see an opponent approaching offensively, rather than the typical shielding method (so frikken obvious), I dash away, and dash toward my opponent (in a mini dash dance) causing them to narrowly miss in the brief moment I was away and punishing with an easy Usmash. This owns people that like to grab a lot. I even use this move offensively, because it throws off tempo, which is critical for defense.

Perhaps it's because I train in Martial Arts that I feel the way I do, and make so many references to Real Life even though we are talking about a fantasy video game (yes, I do understand this), but baiting your opponent as offensive approach seems to be a nearly deserted strategy, when more times than not fakes are used in RL. I think that a major problem in the entire SSB series is that we are not able to cancel out of attacks we are charging. It would add a much needed dimension to Brawl.

It's all about the Mindgames, just like in Boxng. My last example will be when I was using Mario against my opponent's Dedede. My friend was on a platform in front of and above me that I could not rise through or go around. This leads to a very campy position as D3 has good range, and a superb shield grab, while standing in a spot that I could not grab him from. The best thing to do was probably to have waited (we were on Delfino Plaza, the board would have obviously shifted) but he was at high damage on his last stock and camping near the Deathline, so I wanted to finish him quickly. However, I decided that I wanted to maintain the offense I possessed. I did not rush in foolishly though. Out of Mario's midair attacks, his Bair has the most range, and this would be the obvious finisher, so jumping at my opponent backwards would be a clear thing to do. Instead, I jumped forward, which seemed pretty dumb. Mario's Dair has zilch priority against almost anything D3 does, and I was not close enough to use it to chip at his shield. His fair is epically slow, and of course wouldn't land. His Nair and Uair are both quick, though both relatively easy to shield grab, and the Nair lacked range. My off-guard opponent did not expect me to cape backward out of his range, and connect with the Dair, and told me so as the announcer proclaimed my victory.

It's the Mindgames son. Brawl isn't bad, it's just not conventional. Of course, if you like conventional, then it's bad, but I don't personally mind the change of pace.

Melee was harder, and funner to watch, but less fun to play for me.

As you can probably tell, I'm not trying to be pro-Melee or pro-Brawl in this post, simply commenting on multiple points that I've read about both arguments.

Before I end this post, I must commend AZ for his exceptional clarity and eloquence when presenting his points.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
you're doing it wrong.

when you knock your opponent away and race in for the follow up, how about you throw out a projectile and follow that?

'why would i do that?' you might ask. Well its simple, obviously the defense has a lot of options that is true. This means you must force them to chose one of those options because they can't possibly use them all at once.
Yes, why would I throw a projectile, when I'm using Marth? Hell, even as Sheik, what would I do with a needle? I get +3%, yay. The time I wait after throwing needles is far more than the hitstun time on those. Oh, I get it now.

I'm doing it wrong because I'm not the right character.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
As a fellow Martial Artist, I agree with Pierce7d, Brawl is much more like actual fighting than Melee was. Also, I would like to point out that in a real fight or tournament fight there is no combo that is inescapable.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Yes, why would I throw a projectile, when I'm using Marth? Hell, even as Sheik, what would I do with a needle? I get +3%, yay. The time I wait after throwing needles is far more than the hitstun time on those. Oh, I get it now.

I'm doing it wrong because I'm not the right character.

first of all: No johns son.

Second of all: if you're so sure that you're going get shuttle looped, how about you counter? hmm? you got a counter don't ya? a way to counter their moves Hmm? ( Immagine me saying this in an increasingly higher pitch ala stewie from Family guy)

besides, marth is probably the least punishable character because the range on his moves keeps him out of punish range, if you knock them flying follow up with some fairs?

no johns

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
As a fellow Martial Artist, I agree with Pierce7d, Brawl is much more like actual fighting than Melee was. Also, I would like to point out that in a real fight or tournament fight there is no combo that is inescapable.
I don't think most people can recover from a hammer to the face in less than a second.

Or double jump.

Or produce large, solid bubbles around themselves.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
besides, marth is probably the least punishable character because the range on his moves keeps him out of punish range, if you knock them flying follow up with some fairs?
Marth also has trouble following his opponents because his moves send them so far.

Seriously, do you even know how to play as Marth?

Koga

Smash Journeyman
@demon Kirby: I think he meant it was like real fighting in terms of strategy and theory and planning your moves as opposed to being literaly like real fighting.

and in regards to marth sending his opponents to far: BS; maybe at higher percentages of course, but seriously, SH double fair to foward-B combo followed by more fairs is very easy and i do it all the time.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
In the end it all comes down to flames.
Why don't we just outlaw debate thread now?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
first of all: No johns son.

Second of all: if you're so sure that you're going get shuttle looped, how about you counter? hmm? you got a counter don't ya? a way to counter their moves Hmm? ( Immagine me saying this in an increasingly higher pitch ala stewie from Family guy)

no johns
You're an optimistic one, aren't you? Go to a Brawl tournament, come back and tell me how unpunishable your Marth was. I'll do the same and tell you how I did knowing what my character is and is not capable of doing.

Running up and countering is possibly one of the only things that can possibly be punished by doing absolutely nothing. By the time the counter is done, Meta Knight would've landed, walked over a little, and dsmashed during the vulnerability time. Of course, this stuff never happens because I haven't actually played against a Meta Knight who thought of using Shuttle Loop to punish my throw followups. Good thing, too - it'd probably destroy me for a stock or two.

Defensive play is very important in Brawl, and quite a bit more viable than aggressive. I see that as okay - boring, but okay. I'd just rather not see people giving me all these stupid examples of how some sort of followup might work given a certain response by the defensive player who could respond in one of three or four different ways, and at least two of them will completely shaft me if I picked the wrong followup.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I don't think most people can recover from a hammer to the face in less than a second.

Or double jump.

Or produce large, solid bubbles around themselves.
True, but I said more like fighting, not exactly the same. I was referencing to the psychology and tactics of it anyways.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
and in regards to marth sending his opponents to far: BS; maybe at higher percentages of course, but seriously, SH double fair to foward-B combo followed by more fairs is very easy and i do it all the time.
A tipped fair at anywhere above 40% sends them too far to follow up if they DI away from you. An untipped fair allows them to attack you inbetween the fairs.

Fair to foward B combo does not work as they can shield inbetween if they land (which is going to happen if they DI away and down like they're supposed to), and then you'll be hit after the side B.

Try again.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
You're an optimistic one, aren't you? Go to a Brawl tournament, come back and tell me how unpunishable your Marth was. I'll do the same and tell you how I did knowing what my character is and is not capable of doing.

Running up and countering is possibly one of the only things that can possibly be punished by doing absolutely nothing. By the time the counter is done, Meta Knight would've landed, walked over a little, and dsmashed during the vulnerability time. Of course, this stuff never happens because I haven't actually played against a Meta Knight who thought of using Shuttle Loop to punish my throw followups. Good thing, too - it'd probably destroy me for a stock or two.

Defensive play is very important in Brawl, and quite a bit more viable than aggressive. I see that as okay - boring, but okay. I'd just rather not see people giving me all these stupid examples of how some sort of followup might work given a certain response by the defensive player who could respond in one of three or four different ways, and at least two of them will completely shaft me if I picked the wrong followup.

OK, keep in mind im the farthes thing from a scrub, i will do anything to win, even if it means smashing the controller against my head.

So that being said i would not play marth at a Brawl tournament because given the meta game he does not give me the best chance to win with his moveset.

And secondly, I am not telling you to do something that might cause your opponent to take a certain action. I cant do that for you and no one can.

what I'm saying is force them to react in some way, any way, and punish that.

you throw out a GOOD projectile and they just take it? well that should afford enough hitstun to get at least a dash attack in, if they shield, then grab, if they jump then follow up with a good arial, if they airdodge choose one of the above.

its not that hard.

getting the read on a defensive opponent is a key part to even having mindgames in the first place.

@sonic wave:

they can only shield between certain hits of the Foward B and even if the do you can use the down one to poke at their feet seeing as their shield will wear down due to the early hits in the foward b.

try again.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
getting the read on a defensive opponent is a key part to even having mindgames in the first place.
At the same time, a defensive player would be at a distinct advantage - all he has to do is know all your possible approaches and react properly. Brawl isn't terribly fast. In a game of rock-paper-scissors, I'm pretty sure I'd always win if I had you pick first and then I picked second.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
At the same time, a defensive player would be at a distinct advantage - all he has to do is know all your possible approaches and react properly. Brawl isn't terribly fast. In a game of rock-paper-scissors, I'm pretty sure I'd always win if I had you pick first and then I picked second.
That's not how it works

Say im mario vs say... Marth.

i get a dsmash on him and he flies about 3/4 of the stage away from me.

i run towards him and throw out a fireball

he has to react, so lets say he shields it---> I grab to dthrow to upair

lets say he dodges----dash attack to spotdoge to upsmash

lets say he takes it---->Nair to uptilti

that's how it works.

of course the same situation vs Meta knight.

I throw a fireball and he Mach tornadoes----> i can just avoid it seein as how im far enought away to not take the initial hit and i punish him when he comes out of it

Drill rush----> i jump and airdodge DI'ing down; he alters his drill rush up i land and usmash; if he does anything else my buffered shield will allow me enough time to punish him when he comes out of it with oh say a Dsmash.

make your opponent react and punish his reaction. that's how it works

oh, and if he shuttle loops my fireball---->he's a noob and i win

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@sonic wave:

they can only shield between certain hits of the Foward B and even if the do you can use the down one to poke at their feet seeing as their shield will wear down due to the early hits in the foward b.

try again.
I said that they could shield in between the fair and the foward B, not inbetween the individual hits of the foward B.

Also, the pokes in the down one do not actually combo. Even if you get hit by one you can hold shield to block the rest. Another Marth can even technically Up B you during the pokes.

Also, the pokes only reach their feet if the side B was spaced to tip the pokes. However, since you move foward during the first three hits of the side B, this means that you'd actually have to start far away from your opponent and miss the first three attacks, meaning that they didn't wear down the shield, meaning no shield stab for you.

Try again.

he has to react, so lets say he shields it---> I grab to dthrow to upair

lets say he dodges----dash attack to spotdoge to upsmash

lets say he takes it---->Nair to uptilti

that's how it works.
Or he Jabs it because if he's on the ground or fairs it which goes through both the fireball and whatever followup you were trying to do.

Try again.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That's not how it works

Say im mario vs say... Marth.

i get a dsmash on him
And how are you getting a dsmash on him? Certainly not by walking up and dsmashing. In fact, probably a very good setup for a dsmash is spot-dodging Marth's attack and then dsmashing - very much a defensive strategy that got Marth into this situation in the first place.

If you can provide an example where you actually went on the offensive and landed a dsmash, I'd like to hear it, though.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
I said that they could shield in between the fair and the foward B, not inbetween the individual hits of the foward B.

Also, the pokes in the down one do not actually combo. Even if you get hit by one you can hold shield to block the rest. Another Marth can even technically Up B you during the pokes.

Also, the pokes only reach their feet if the side B was spaced to tip the pokes. However, since you move foward during the first three hits of the side B, this means that you'd actually have to start far away from your opponent and miss the first three attacks, meaning that they didn't wear down the shield, meaning no shield stab for you.

Try again.

Or he Jabs it because if he's on the ground or fairs it which goes through both the fireball and whatever followup you were trying to do.

Try again.

Um no that's not what happens.

I SH double fair spacing them at or as close as i can to near the tip of the sword taking maximum advantage of marths range.

if he sheilds between the fair and the foward B then the first three hits of the foward be will wear their shield enough that the down pokes will knock them out of their shield, and then i fair them.

easy as pie

Fail again.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
And how are you getting a dsmash on him? Certainly not by walking up and dsmashing. In fact, probably a very good setup for a dsmash is spot-dodging Marth's attack and then dsmashing - very much a defensive strategy that got Marth into this situation in the first place.

If you can provide an example where you actually went on the offensive and landed a dsmash, I'd like to hear it, though.
Don't change the subject because you're loosing. We were disscussing following up on attacks, not how to land attacks in the first place. Now address my arguments please or concede. I wont justify this attempt with an answer

Try again.
ok, then i dash attack him, or nair him or pretty much anything. If he jabs it he is open. heck i can even grab him if im afraid of his counter.

fail again

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I concede. Now tell me how you got the dsmash. :p
Ok, then let it be known that follow ups are very possible.

now on the downsmash part:

vs marth its basically the same game: throw out Slightly advancing Fireballs leaving yourself enough room to dash in, but not close enough to take a hit.

now as he reacts to your fireballs you determine what your going to do.

my personal favorite is fireball to dashing shield to Dsmash or even upsmash

heck, i'm willing to eat a throw because marth will most likely Dthrow or up throw either one allows me to Nair immediately to an auto cancelled Dsmash

Top Bottom