• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the almost invicible cape

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty good with mario and I can use the cape to succefuly stop almost any recovery attempt( attempt to get back to the stage ). unfortunatly I have to much trouble with caping/spiking peach, kirby, jigglypuff, and zelda(because of the **** teleporting). :( the only way that I can kill these people is if I use a smash attack that sends them off of the screen from the platform. I just want to know if any of you mario players out there have any advise to help me.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Wavebounce with the cape for spacing, use the F.L.U.D.D. for gimping, positioning, and spacing, and use Uairs, reverse Uairs (My favorite), and Bairs (Fair too if you can pull it off).

*Try the Superman combo; F.L.U.D.D. to cape (This can be done consecutively but requires good spacing)*

*Use the slingshot effect off the edge with the cape (A.K.A. Cape Gliding); dash and use the cape a little before you go right off the ledge (Timing is a little tricky but pretty simple overall)*

*Don’t forget to aim for the tip of the head with the F.L.U.D.D. for maximum pushback*

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
I use the superman allot and for the most part it works but those **** extra jumps just kill me.

not only that but I have trouble getting the timing for the slingshot effect of cape gliding. this may seem rude to ask but can you show me in a vid.

Lastly ive seen your posts around the boards and you seem like a great player lets have a match sometime

???????

Smash Journeyman
Sure thing, I still have a bit of work to do on my Mario though (I'm still a bit too aggressive with my aerials and sometimes get punished; mainly I need to work a bit on my ground game), but I play well in general; I'm working hard to get rid of the kinks in my playstyle.

*Weekends are best for me*

*Here's a video of the Cape Glide (Not mine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCkv2A4Oe9s*

tonkamike

Smash Rookie
vs Zelda if you hit her with the cape when she uses the teleport and she's still pushing the stick in the same direction, she teleports in the opposite direction. Gimping fliers is obviously not the easiest thing to do, but it's possible.

Vs kirby, just use Bair's to edgeguard and eventually they won't have anymore jumps. At this point, try to edgehog him if he uses his up b and he'll go through the invincibility and die. If this isn't possible, when he runs out of jumps just fludd him. Always have fludd charged when you have free time.

Use the same principle for jigglypuff, but make sure to avoid roll out unless you're close enough to cape and send her in the other direction.

But in all, sometimes you can't gimp people all the time. You have to work on your ground game and kill with smashes. Approach with fireballs but don't be overzealous and get hit. Hitting people Out of Shield is very effective, bait them into hitting you.

tonkamike

Smash Rookie
I forgot to mention, You're better off killing peach or jigglypuff, or perhaps zelda straight up anyways. Gimping can get you into to trouble and they die so easily anyways. Play smart, don't have a one track mind for every character.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
Don't try to gimp Jiggly . It can rollout fake (as highlighted upon in my thread that no one has responded to) against any grabbable ledge meaning that it can quickly bounce off the ledge and downwards without losing a single jump. It can get through your cape simply by using only pound and jump to recover. That basically means that your fludd is all you really have against Jiggly. (My secondary main is Mario so I would know)

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
I do understand that it is best to just kill these guys off the bat but my only strong point with mario is his cape (mostly used in superman combos). without those I am pretty much useless with the new mario.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Use the F.L.U.D.D. to position your opponents for a smash attack or hit your opponent with a wavebounced cape if you aren't too into aerials. You could also try fireballs.

*A cool but incredibly risky technique is edgeguarding with your Up B (And I don't mean just to wall spike); Up B to hit an opponent and grab the ledge even if they're above you (The surprising part is that it works, partly because of the move's raw speed but don't be predictable or else your opponent will move around it and gimp you)*

Top Bottom