• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The advance Olimar guide for combos and strategy [new Advance Tech section]

Mitsuko

Smash Apprentice
NOTE: Please, Please, help me by posting things you find out and i'll put credit for your work on the section (special thanks section)
It never accured to me why no one has posted combo and technical information about olimar much in the olimar thread, maybe it's because of people saying things like olimar is a noob character, blah blah blah, (well, i did it once, cause i thought he was easy to use, srry). but beside the point, i'm gonna post stragety for useing olimar here.
NOTE: I'll be updateing this frequently, it's not all done.

Table of Contents

1. Combos

• Normal combos
  • Hand to hand (no pikmin) combos

2. All about Pikmin!!

• He's Killed all my Pikmin!!!!
  • Pikmin Line Efficiency

3. Special Attacks

• Pikmin Order
  • Pikmin Chain
  • Pikmin Throw

4. Standard, Smash, and Ariel Assults

• Smash Attacks

5. Advance Tech

• B-sticking
  • Super Armor Frames

6. Special Thanks

1. Combos

Normal combos

For your basic Olimar combo, it would be: throw pikmin, grab. but that never gets enough damage, i beilive that olimar could be one of the best comboers in the game, if used correctly. During my play with olimar, it seems to me like the nair could potentialy be a good combo starter, throw a pikmin, jump at them, nair, grab, upthrow, smash up, jump and do uair. later though, i relized, that because stun time is second to nothing, that the nair, would be a bad idea. so, onto combos that would work. if you can't get a pikmin on them, then here's one i invented that should help, mind you, it's not perfect though: fair, ftilt, fsmash (oposite direction, if done right, they should be on the other side), dash attack, usmash. It's not perfect because of the dash, but, issued correctly can prove to be usefull. the classic combo, is pikmin throw, grab, throw down, utilt, usmash, uair. (i added in the utilt, it works and adds a little extra damage). Another combo that I just tested that would work well would be nair, usmash, uair. not much, but it's still something. that's all i have for combos for now.

Hand to hand Combos
Ok, so there won't be much in this section right now, as to, i haven't figured out much on this. Bassicly, the point of this section is to explain the idea of hand to hand combat, something, that may, to your fear, must be used, (there's way more on this in the "He's killed all my Pikmin" section, this section is just for the combos). The only combo i have so far is dash attack, dash attack, utilt, nair. i'm sorry, but it's pretty simple, and is probably easily DI'd out of pretty well. (one thing to remeber in all combos, is that they're just a chain of attacks, and with the new almost nothing stun time, people can DI out of combos if they try hard enough).

2. All about Pikmin!!

He's Killed all my Pikmin!!!!
A good player knows to keep olimar pressured, and kill all his pikmin, but don't let him pluck anymore, this is why you need to practice useing olimar's hand to hand combat. Olimar really isn't that bad at hand to hand combat, most of his attacks do decent damge, (around 13%) and a few have decent enough nockback, the point is, to fight the opponent off and knock him far enough back so that you can repluck the pikmin. Porbably his most usefull hand to hand attack is his dtilt, yes, i know it doesnt have very good damage or knock back, but it's range isn't bad for no pikmin, it's quick, and, it has a disjointed hitbox. What?? you say. well, here to answer your question, olimar's attena acts like ikes sword bassicly, it's not connected to the actuall character. another good move is is ftilt and dash. they both have decent knockback, and decent damage, and aren't that slow, these would be moves to either start a hand to hand combo, or to knock them far enough back as to get more pikmin. an opponent is not goning to expect you to start combo and killing him with no pikmin. another thing to think about is recovery, let's say jiggly is WoPing you, how do you recover with no pikmin. the best way is to air dodge toward the stage, and fast fall randomly (if you can) to confuse the oponent. i'll update if i find a better way.

Pikmin Line Efficiency
Ok, so if you want a Really good guide on all the ascpects on line efficiency, then go to http://smashboards.com//showthread.php?t=157770. I'll beirfly discuss the esentials here though. So you ask "what exactly is line efficiency?" Line efficiency is where you have Pikmin lines that express the strengths of Olimar, there are good, and bad lines. If you have a bad line, it's not all bad though, you then can use the Pikmin throw to attack your enemy, and get rid of your pikmin at the same time. The best kind of line is a line where you have two Reds, Two Blues, and Two purples, that way you have good attack, throw, and a extra power, but you could always have yellows instead of reds for air efficiency.

3. Special Attacks

Pikmin Order
You probably already know that Olimars Pikmin Order has a couple of SAF at the start, if you don't. i'll tell you, the begining of Olimar's Pikmin Order has frames that you still take damage, but don't flinch at all, doing this in battle, could result in wining the match, it makes a big difference. After doing the Pikmin Order, there will be a bit of ending lag, so i wouldn't recomend useing this as a counter for fast characters, and don't always use it, suprise the oponent, like, use it to stop a juggler, or some a jigglypuff WoPing you. But you can't always use this, becuase, then you wouldn't be able to strategicly use different pikmin. Another thing about the Pikmin Order is it doesn't take the next pikmin in line, it goes, in order, when you use it, Red, Yellow, Blue, White, Purple. I say this only because, you need to be able to get a purple pikmin out if you're off the edge and stop someone who's trying to gimp you. The only other thing to say about this move is that it calls back your pikmin, this is only usefull to get them back to recover on to the stage. In my opinion, this is one of, if not, Olimar's best move, learn to utilize it well. a good way to practice SAF, is face a level 9 ike, and only use down B and try to SAF all of his attakcs.

Pikmin Chain
This is one move that alot of people under estimate, i've found a few uses, it can be suprising, and it hit's people at an angle, has decent knockback too. anyway, your safe after useing it most of the time because they won't get to you in time. Another way I use this move is to end a combo, if you are comboing, and there too far up, but in the air, it's a good ending move, just for the extra damage. It's also useful on those floaty characters, and can be used to keep people away from the edges. This move is not nearly as usefull as Pikmin order, but it's still good, and can be incorporated into game play, if used well. The last thing i want to say about it is, it has much more range then most people expect and homes into ledges, so don't worry about exact angles when recovering. (on a different note, if you are close enough, you can use the pikmin throw to get a slight boost forward and recover that way).

Pikmin Throw
So I know i'm doing alot about his B moves, but what the heck, there's alot to discuss. You may already know about this, b sticking, use it, (if you don't know what i'm talking about, it's where you use your b moves with the C stick by changing your controll scheme). the reson i say this is because using this move while retreating is really good, that way they can't get to you, and you can get more pikmin if your oponent kills them. The tactic to do this is wave bouncing, you simply jump, and tap the C stick backwards (when it's set to special moves), you won't chang directions, but you'll be shot back, very useful. Another thing about this move is, you have to know what pikmin you're throwing, otherwise, you could ruin your rythem because of an unexpected acurance. Other things to do with this move is to chase your pikmin, that way, they're concentrated on either killing the pikmin on them, or doging it, bassicly, giving you a free attack.

4. Standard, smash, and Ariel assults

Smash Attacks
Big issue. Most of you have probably been playing as Olimar, and you can never seem to kill them, this is most likely because of over-used smash attacks, the decay factor in this game is increadible, you have to save your smash attacks, no matter how tempting it may be, for the high damage kill. In the long run though, this tactic will save you alot of time, and you'll be a lot more deadly as an opponent. Another thing about the combos, you can incorprate smash attacks into combos, so each life, make sure you save one of the smash attacks to ko with, and then be able to combo with the rest. (each time you die, the decay factor is reset). if it were me, i'd probably save the Dsmash for killing, like, when they try to return to the ledge, use Dsmash, since no decay on that move yet, it would kill them.

5. Advance Tech

B-sticking
Now that wavedashing is out of the way, we (as in the people who wavedash) have to find a new tactic, that will still be a good advantage in battle. Finnally it's come, B-sticking is where you change the C-stick to use special moves instead of smash attacks. You ask, "well why is this usefull?". It's usefull because it pushes you back when your in the air when useing certain special moves, different characters go back different amounts, but over all, it results in a retreating special. That is called Wavebounceing, there's a video of it right here http://youtube.com/watch?v=53Wix_KsK5g&feature=related. watch that and you can probably get the jist of this technique

Super Armor Frames
I talked about this a bit in the earlier sections, and there's not that much to talk about, so this'll be a small section. Super Armor Frames are frames in which the character can't flinch. this makes it so that when someone attacks you with an attack that can kill, you can SAF it and then counter. Olimar's only move (so far) that has these is his Dspecial, the beging few frames is where the SAF's are, it's fairly easy to pull off. another thing about this is to keep it random, so that your oponent is suprised and doesn't recover, other wise, they might see it comeing, recover before the move ends, and kill you. One more thing aobut this is, don't use it on a character like sonic, they're way faster than you, and could probably kill you before you could counter attack, just camp for those kind of characters.

6. Special Thanks
no one right now, but when i get help, their name'll be here

NOTE: I am excepting suggestions for this guide, so please, help me make it better!!

updates coming soon...

visit my website (shared with a friend) at http://olimarsspaceship.bravehost.com/ (it also has a link to our olimar clan forums)

asob4

Smash Champion
wow, the hand to hand ones could be quite useful, i haven't had the use because my thumb is almost always ready to tap b after throwing just a few minions of doom, just so i always have some. which should be what every good olimar should be ready to do imo ^^

templar rage

Smash Cadet
For the record, I did start a Olimar combos thread to see what others do, but it fell out of the first page, which basically means no one will ever see it again lol. But, back on the combo subject, your last combo is similar to mine. I do Dash/Usmash, Dair, Fsmash, repeat if the opponent is stupid enough to just follow the trajectory set by the Fsmash.

Also, another smaller combo that is situational at best, is, if you are hanging on the edge, and an opponent is right there, attack to get up, should knock them out from the stage. If they don't start recovering until they are below the edge, drop off and immediately Dair them, followed by a jump and Up-B. Takes a little practice, but it is useful for a quick kill if you get the opportunity. But, to quote that Sinclair guy from the booze commercials "Always in moderation". Your opponent can and probably will catch on after a time or two.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
One move people underrate is Olimar's Up-B. When you try to combo out of a down-throw and your opponent DIs up and to a side and you don't think you can properly chase with your usual combo, surprise him/her with an Up-B. At lower percentages, their DI will take 'em right into it.

Just thought I'd mention it.

And, yes, Olimar's ledge attack is one of the best in the game I think. It's not too slow and knocks 'em away at a good angle.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i wasn't sure where to post this and here seems good..............is olimar's d-air a spike with all colors excluding white?

Stiffmystirr

Smash Rookie
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158890

^ Advanced Olimar Thread.
I read in Echo's and Redemption's threads, that they left out combos because there aren't any "true" combos that they've discovered to be very useful and/or devastating.

Most of the combos you wrote, are not actual combos, just a chain of commands that can or cannot land correctly. The tactics you wrote about are also mentioned in both Echo's and Redemption's threads over and over, such as using your neutral/tilts when unnarmed to open pluck holes.

Overall, you repeated a lot of already stated things. The entire organization of the post is harmful to the eyes, and you could at least take 10 seconds to run it through spell check before you post a, most likely, 10-20 minute post.
Sorry to be a douche but I keep searching for a good thread and keep finding ones like this.

Edit:
Ok to be fair, you did mention something I liked a lot. You said not to spam your smash because it decays at a very fast pace, this is true and very effective. Spamming Fsmash is something I always end up doing, and it's normally my downfall because it's very punishable T_T

Mitsuko

Smash Apprentice
ok, i'm sorry, and i haven't read NC-echo's guide anyway, this is my first real post, give me some time, it'll be better later. I've also been so busy that i can't update it much, it'll get more orginized too.
Over all, i am a bit angry, but thanks, to me it's orginized, but i see your point, and, i have my own forums to manage, so i don't have much time here.

Mitsuko

Smash Apprentice
i wasn't sure where to post this and here seems good..............is olimar's d-air a spike with all colors excluding white?
Yeah, but purlple has slightly less range, but with the new air dodge system i wouldn't recomend spikeing because it's easy to gimp, then they could just grab the ledge and you'd be doomed

Top Bottom