• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 7 Koopalings have come a long way since Brawl.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Remember how the 7 koopa kids were represented in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Why, with a single sticker of Ludwig of course! While I never in a million years thought they would be playable in that game (especially as it was released before the koopalings' big return in New Super Mario Bros. Wii)...I was at least hoping for a trophy of them, but they didn't even get that. Bowser's trophy description in the game only mentioned Bowser Jr. as his son (unlike in Melee, were it mentions "his seven children") Amazing how they went from one single sticker in Brawl, to being playable in Smash 4.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Once upon a time doomed to the same ignoble fate as King K . Rool as a forgotten relic of the SNES, the landmark release of New Super Mario Bros. Wii saw the Koopalings (and the Koopa Klown Kar as well) surging back into prominence and this year the Koopaling make their playable debut in TWO AAA-Nintendo titles. To go from complete irrelevance to having people accusing Nintendo of shoving the Koopalings into everything...this is absolutely unreal for an SNES gamer like me. I lamented the series moving on from some of my favorite Mario characters, seemingly forever.

Bless you Sakurai and bless you Nintendo. You given us Koopaling fans more than we would have ever hoped for.

Last edited:

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
I remember during the 15 or so years where they were absent (save for their one appearance in Super Star Saga)...Nintendo Power magazine used to get letters asking whatever became of them. Nintendo obviously never had an answer.

Funny how people are complaining that the koopalings are showing up in too many games now. Despite only being around since 2002 (while the koopalings have been around since 1988), Bowser Jr. has made almost twice as many appearances in games. If you count all the spin off games like Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc...Bowser Jr. has been in over 20 games, while the koopalings have been in around 10. I think most of the people who complain about them are younger gamers who's first Mario game they played was Super Mario Sunshine. To them, Bowser Jr. is a staple of the Mario series, while the koopalings are just filler thrown in to take up room.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite proud and glad for them when it comes to my memories about 'em and how I was overjoyed to see them back in NSMBW. They've quite come a long way and I think MK8 captured the hearts of the fans, old an new, to the Koopalings (at least me with Lemmy)

TheCrashMan

Smash Rookie
I've always been a huge fan of the Koopalings. Probably helps that they were some of the best bosses in a lot of my favorite games, and also that Mario fansites were a lot of my earliest internet usage.

I can't believe they're not just back but also playable. It's the kind of thing I'd never even think of picturing, but now that it's actually happening I can't wait to use them.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
It's awesome seeing the Koopalings return to the spotlight after a NINE YEAR hiatus, and they're back better than ever!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Playable in Mario Kart 8 and now this? That's quite the comeback. I hope Nintendo has something big planned for them in the next main series Mario game. I'd love to see their character fleshed out more. Probably not since Mario was never about character development but since Miyamoto is taking a break from Mario, here's hoping someone else pulls it off.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Can someone explain the cannon of the koopa kids to me?? I swore in the older games it clearly said they are Bowser kids. But now people are saying Bowser's only kid is Bowser Jr. Did they just retcon this? Or was i wrong all along? And if the koopakids are no longer Bowser kids then what are they now???

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It's awesome seeing the Koopalings return to the spotlight after a NINE YEAR hiatus, and they're back better than ever!
Well the resurrection was the new mario bros game

But then since then they have ben back on top

Obviously they are going to be more focused on in future mario games/crossovers

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Before you know it they'll get their own spin-off title.
I want this more than life. Or a bowser spin off with them as unlockable playable characters. Not sure what kind of game would work best...a strategy/tactics rpg would be cool where you control various koopa troop (Goombas, koopas, magikoopas, etc) against some threat (shroobs would be neat to see again). Just a thought though. The koopalings could make up some of the unique units.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Can someone explain the cannon of the koopa kids to me?? I swore in the older games it clearly said they are Bowser kids. But now people are saying Bowser's only kid is Bowser Jr. Did they just retcon this? Or was i wrong all along? And if the koopakids are no longer Bowser kids then what are they now???
Miyamoto said that their current story was that Bowser Jr. was Bowser's only child. The Mario Kart 8 Direct said that they were captains of Bowser's army.
However, even in Japan, they were Bowser's children back in Mario 3.

If they appeared in Super Princess Peach as planned, we might not even have had their terrible redesigns.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I grew up with the Koopalings. Owned Mario Bros. 3, and would always play Super Mario World at a friend's house. Come the N64 era, and they all but vanished. Though I remember a friend of mine literally calling me in excitement when he saw their return in Superstar Saga, I had the same kneejerk rection to Jr that a lot of people did. For awhile, I couldn't stand the little runt. But after awhile, he really started to grow on me. Maybe it was his cuteness (seriously, watch his Bogey animation in Toadstool tour) or my and his mututal dislike of losing but he became one of my favorite Mario characters. When he returned alongside the Koopalings in NSMB, I just about exploded. Then when I found out they were alts for him in this game, I exploded again.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:
Just seeing the villains from my first ever video game, Super Mario World, and equally awesome Super Mario Bros 3 finally be in Smash like this is a dream come true!! My childhood self feels so happy :D

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm glad the Koopalings have gotten so much attention lately. Now I just need a certain other reptilian villain to return in the same amount of glory.

Don't really have Sakurai to thank for that, as I'd hoped I would... (Despite what his trophy says. Thanks, Sakurai...)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN, NINTENDO.

With the Koopalinga back in full force in MK8 and Smash 4, there's no sign of them going away any time soon. Maybe there will be a game that focuses on the Koopaling quirks that Nintendo gave them in MK8 for no apparent reason.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Koopalings having a rebirth are the biggest reason Bowser JR is a character.
The second biggest reason is the clown car.
The smallest reason on this list is Bowser Junior's individual Merit.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's Nintendo, and they like to make no sense sometimes

Seeing Ludwig playable for the first time made me cry.
I nearly **** my pants when I found him being playable in MK8. Even more when he's an alt for Jr and is my favorite Koopaling. LUDWIG CONFIRMED FOR S-TIER!!!

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN, NINTENDO.

With the Koopalinga back in full force in MK8 and Smash 4, there's no sign of them going away any time soon. Maybe there will be a game that focuses on the Koopaling quirks that Nintendo gave them in MK8 for no apparent reason.
Ludwig to be playable in a future Mario RPG perhaps? Been a fan dream of mine for a few years now

Top Bottom