• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 4v4 Teams Initiative!

BrimeZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBrimeZ
3DS FC
5284-1495-9667
What's going on guys, The Honorable Brimezus of the Dynasty Here! I don't post very often on SmashBoards, but I've been apart of the community off and on since the 2007, and I've played competitively since the Melee days.

One thing that excited me the most before Super Smash Bros U, was the ability to have up to 8 players playing at once. I figured since there are plenty of competitive games out there that require teams such as most FPS games and even games such as League of Legends, that 3v3 or 4v4 matches would explode in the smash community. I mean crew battles existed well before I even gotten into competitive Smash. And forming groups among friends was whether for the sake of seeding or just for fun was common since the beginning of competitive Melee as well.

Perhaps it was do to the lack of set ups. It's very difficult to cram 8 players onto two setups, let alone 1 set up. The Wii U didn't sell as well as other Nintendo Consoles. As a matter of fact, Super Smash Bros for the 3DS sold more than its home console counterpart. Plenty of competitive smash 4 players didn't even own a Wii U when the game out. And for those who brought and Wii U just for the sake of smash, wouldn't dare attempt to buy two gamecube controller adapters.

But things are a little different with the Nintendo Switch. It already outsold the Nintendo Wii U, and its arguably the fastest selling console gaming history. Already selling over 17 million units. And we can pretty much guarantee that Super Smash Bros Ultimate will have near synomous sells numbers with the Switch, similar to the Gamecube was with Melee, and the Wii was with Brawl.

In addition to that, players have begun to adopt playing with wireless controllers during Smash 4 tournaments due to the added button options (and the archaic gamecube controller design). I can easily see wireless control options becoming more popular since I can't think of any Smash Bros enthusiast not taking advantage playing Ultimate on the go. Plus, up to 8 Switches/ 32 players can be paired at the same time. Which well inevitably make it easier to run 4v4 brackets during tournaments, including singles brackets for that matter.

Believe in the possibility of 4v4 brackets so much, that I've invested in a bunch of Switch setups for a tournament that I have just stared hosting in Delaware. And I'll be running 4v4 brackets with pot bonuses as soon as Ultimate comes out
https://smashboards.com/threads/kick-rock-video-game-series-2-7-8-2018.456211/?id=13375

I know they are going to be people that are going to complain about an additional bracket fee. As a wise man once said, "It's better to live rich, than to die rich. You can't take it with you"

I know they are going to be a bunch of weirdo-loaner, high-tier character players, that hate doubles, only play to win, never play for fun....that are going to be against this movement. And that's okay because for the majority of us, Smash brings us together. And more so than winning (which we all love to do) we love to gather with other enthusiast and enjoy playing this game.

Please let me know what you think about having 4v4 brackets in tournament once Ultimate comes out below. And lets start and movement guys!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This looks interesting, but I doubt there will be many people wanting to try 4 on 4. Maybe 2 on 2

Khao

Smash Lord
I feel like the lack of character roles (like support, tank, **** like that) would make competitive 4v4 a lot less interesting than it is in MOBAs and team-based shooters. I mean, essentially, every character in Smash is a DPS. Not to mention that those popular team-based games always has some sort of larger-scale objective, and defeating the opposite team is a means to an end.

Still, would be fun to see. We'll never know for sure until we try.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I’m totally with you in wanting to see 4v4 become a thing. Was part of the small movement pushing for it on Wii U also.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
4v4 were most definitely fun to watch during the days of Smash 4. Although, I gotta feeling dat it's gonna be dialed down to triples once again in Smash Ultimate with 4v4s being occasional.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Still have fond flashbacks of d1 commentating that 4v4 match on Hyrule Temple.

Personally I think Triples is more likely then quads, though it would be a neat twist on the 'USA vs Japan' matches generally done every year.

Last edited:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
Yes this type of format would attract more people outside of smash because actually the majority of esports games are played in teams, especially children are more likely to play a game if they have friends to play in the same team, this would make smash ultimate a very different proposition to the other smash games especially melee, this would help smash ultimate only tournaments to stand more and would only help the scene in the long run.

Untouch

Smash Master
iirc this was experimented with around smash 4's launch and it went just as well as expected

BrimeZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBrimeZ
3DS FC
5284-1495-9667
Yes this type of format would attract more people outside of smash because actually the majority of esports games are played in teams, especially children are more likely to play a game if they have friends to play in the same team, this would make smash ultimate a very different proposition to the other smash games especially melee, this would help smash ultimate only tournaments to stand more and would only help the scene in the long run.
Exactly! Doubles alone significantly set Smash apart from other fighting games. Plus we haven't scratched the surface with developing the meta for 4v4.

And Khao, I disagree. I played a 4v4 tournament match where a Ness was absorbing blast from Wii-Fit trainer. Game and Watch was absorbing Pickachu's thunder and and killing 3 people at once. A Jigglypuff kept saving teammates. And Lucario( similar to doubles) would lose a stock just to get massive aura

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I have to wonder what the best format would be for this. There was a thing on Nintendo Life about a group called The Gauntlet that was trying to get something together with the Wii U version; it was divided into four “quarters” like a football game. At first I wasn’t into it because they were Time matches but then I realized that “4v4 time match” in Smash is basically the same as Team Deathmatch in your average arena shooter.

BrimeZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBrimeZ
3DS FC
5284-1495-9667
I have to wonder what the best format would be for this. There was a thing on Nintendo Life about a group called The Gauntlet that was trying to get something together with the Wii U version; it was divided into four “quarters” like a football game. At first I wasn’t into it because they were Time matches but then I realized that “4v4 time match” in Smash is basically the same as Team Deathmatch in your average arena shooter.
I think that would encourage more defensive play as opposed to the regular stock system. In the regular stock system, you are immediately rewarded and potentially gain a field advantage once you take a stock. Where as on a time match, both teams are constantly on an even playing field regardless on whos up on points

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I would watch 2v2v2v2 or 4v4 tournaments would partake if I wasn’t almost in the middle of nowhere

But I want to know 8 players online can the switch handle it?

Top Bottom